Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big Picture Thread

(01-15-2024, 01:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 10:18 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Personally, I don't focus on dead money.  Anything that would be dead money is money already spent.  It's a sunk cost.  The important thing is the savings on the cap.

I discussed this in the OL thread, but Robinson gives $17.75 in savings.  Scherff gives $9 million this year plus another $7.5 million next year.  Combined, we're paying over $34 million for 1 year of service from Robinson and Scherff who aren't that good.  I cut them.

I would take the $34 million and get the best center and two guards for the money in free agency.  I then draft a tackle in round one with Little as a plan B, but hopefully he's just our swing tackle.  Harrison obviously starts at tackle.  Fortner competes for a backup spot.  Use a day 3 pick on the interior line for depth and possible future development.

I know it is a lot of change, but I believe it will give us the best offensive line without draining a bunch of money we need to resign Allen and others.
This is exactly how it should be done.

If Cowboys can’t resign Biadasz (weird last name) then he’s priority #1.

I know his first name isn't Billy, but it should be.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-14-2024, 10:18 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 08:51 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just looking at overthecap. So we have $12.9m cap to spend but that counts Josh Allen as not on the roster so that money and more is already gone for him.

Looking at cap savings

Scherff as a pre June1st cut is $14.8m in dead money and a cap saving of $9m. Post 1st June is $7.4m dead money and $16.5m cap savings.

Robinson is $3.8m dead money and $17.5m cap savings. There's no difference pre or post 1st June.

Foley as a pre June 1st cut is $9.2m in dead money and $3.5m cap savings. Post 1st June is $4.8m dead money and $8m cap savings.

Zay as a pre June 1st cut is $6.5m dead money and $4.4m cap savings. Post 1st June is $3m dead money and $8m cap savings.

Just looking at other players that offer cap savings.

Darious Williams is a $500k dead money and $10m cap savings

Rayshawn after June 1st is $3.2m dead money and $9m cap savings.

Yes we have plenty of options to save cap, the only worry is all of those players are starters and losing Scherff and Cam means you need to replace them aswell as improving the Oline. Can you find better players in FA and will you end up paying similar amounts in the FA Oline market?

Personally, I don't focus on dead money.  Anything that would be dead money is money already spent.  It's a sunk cost.  The important thing is the savings on the cap.

I discussed this in the OL thread, but Robinson gives $17.75 in savings.  Scherff gives $9 million this year plus another $7.5 million next year.  Combined, we're paying over $34 million for 1 year of service from Robinson and Scherff who aren't that good.  I cut them.

I would take the $34 million and get the best center and two guards for the money in free agency.  I then draft a tackle in round one with Little as a plan B, but hopefully he's just our swing tackle.  Harrison obviously starts at tackle.  Fortner competes for a backup spot.  Use a day 3 pick on the interior line for depth and possible future development.

I know it is a lot of change, but I believe it will give us the best offensive line without draining a bunch of money we need to resign Allen and others.

I agree about the dead money. Was mainly including it just to show the difference between pre and post 1st June cut values. 

I'm not against your idea but it's definitely risky. Cam and Scherff haven't been playing to their value and they look the easier cuts to give you some ammunition for FA and to resign guys. The Oline FA market is ridiculously overpriced now and you have to overpay for mediocre talent as every team is looking for Oline improvements. Are you bringing in better talent than Cam and Scherff for less money is the main question. I'd love to bring in  Ramczyk from the Saints and they are $88m over the cap but every year pull off some black magic to keep everyone and stay under.

Little having an up and down year makes the draft tough as do you go T or G in the 1st round.

(01-15-2024, 01:47 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 10:18 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Personally, I don't focus on dead money.  Anything that would be dead money is money already spent.  It's a sunk cost.  The important thing is the savings on the cap.

I agree about the dead money. Was mainly including it just to show the difference between pre and post 1st June cut values. 

I'm not against your idea but it's definitely risky. Cam and Scherff haven't been playing to their value and they look the easier cuts to give you some ammunition for FA and to resign guys. The Oline FA market is ridiculously overpriced now and you have to overpay for mediocre talent as every team is looking for Oline improvements. Are you bringing in better talent than Cam and Scherff for less money is the main question. I'd love to bring in  Ramczyk from the Saints and they are $88m over the cap but every year pull off some black magic to keep everyone and stay under.

Little having an up and down year makes the draft tough as do you go T or G in the 1st round.

You're rolling with Cam's replacement in the draft while Little and Harrison play tackle next year. If Harrison is supposed to be the next left tackle then let's get to it, Little and the draft pick can duke it out for the right side. Resign Cleveland then Sherff should be replaced by a vet free agent and we should use the rest of his money to sign one of the FA centers. Although I like the idea of a high end center, I'd really rather sign Jon Feliciano from the 49rs to a two year deal; he's 31 and can play all 3 IOL spots and you could likely get him for around $7 million total. Draft two guards or two guards and a center (if you're dumping Fortner) and we're ready to roll with Harrison/Cleveland/ Feliciano/vet FA (Hunt/Zeitler)/Little
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-14-2024, 12:38 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 12:20 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Actually what is funny is that my autocorrect didn’t want me to type should of…

Can't you tell your autocorrect to permanently ignore something?  He might of done that.

Is that what you did?  Lol

(01-14-2024, 12:38 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 12:20 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Actually what is funny is that my autocorrect didn’t want me to type should of…

Can't you tell your autocorrect to permanently ignore something?  He might of done that.

My name is snarky, don't you dare intrude on my territory lol

(01-14-2024, 08:51 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 03:28 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Biggest issue is going to be creating cap space.  

Easy cuts: 

Brandon Scherff 
Cam Robinson 
Folorunsu Fatukasi 
Zay Jones

These cuts allow you to re-sign Josh Allen and place the franchise tag on Calvin Ridley, which then allows the Jags to keep their 2nd round pick in the draft.  

O-line is the biggest issue by far and at least 2 of the top 3 picks need to be devoted to shoring up the protection for Trevor.

Just looking at overthecap. So we have $12.9m cap to spend but that counts Josh Allen as not on the roster so that money and more is already gone for him.

Looking at cap savings

Scherff as a pre June1st cut is $14.8m in dead money and a cap saving of $9m. Post 1st June is $7.4m dead money and $16.5m cap savings.

Robinson is $3.8m dead money and $17.5m cap savings. There's no difference pre or post 1st June.

Foley as a pre June 1st cut is $9.2m in dead money and $3.5m cap savings. Post 1st June is $4.8m dead money and $8m cap savings.

Zay as a pre June 1st cut is $6.5m dead money and $4.4m cap savings. Post 1st June is $3m dead money and $8m cap savings.

Yes we have plenty of options to save cap, the only worry is all of those players are starters and losing Scherff and Cam means you need to replace them aswell as improving the Oline. Can you find better players in FA and will you end up paying similar amounts in the FA Oline market?
This is a helpful list. Of the players mentioned:

Easy decisions to release: Scherff, Robinson, Foley and Rayshawn. That makes $51 million in cap savings. Scherff is replaced by draft pick or Hodges. Robinson replaced at left tackle by Harrison. Rayshawn replaced by Antonio Johnson and Foley replaced by draft pick.

Tougher decision: Zay Jones. I believe he's worth keeping despite cap savings, especially if Ridley walks.

Easy decision to keep: Darious Williams. Played at a high level this season. Might re-do his contract to add cap savings.

Following these decisions, I'd make these specific moves in free agency and the draft:

Free agency: Sign Lloyd Cushenberry. He is the best center and only 26. Not sure what the contract would be, but let's say it is structured to pay him most at the end of a 4 year deal for $58 million. Cap hit in 2024: $10 million

Sign Bryce Huff: Excellent pass rusher and only 25. Contract: 3 years for $40 million (PFF estimate). Cap hit in 2024 is also $10 million.

Sign Josh Allen: 4 years for $110 million. 1st year cap hit: $10 million

Sign Kevin Dotson: 4 years $70 million.

Draft picks: 

Round 1: Fuaga/Fautanu: Will start at guard in 1st year if Little can win right tackle job.

Round 2: Best wide receiver to replace Ridley. Top choice is Franklin, but Leggett, Walker, Mitchell or Worthy would all be acceptable.

Round 3 ( compensatory pick): McKinley Jackson to replace Foley on defensive line.

Remainder of draft: Add another corner or safety, offensive lineman and pass rusher.

Keep in mind that I am not a salary cap expert and my estimated salaries/cap hits are just estimates based on PFF projections. The purpose of this exercise was to determine the best off-season moves given the current state of the Jaguars. The end result would likely be a significant improvement to the roster in these areas:

Offensive line: Interior line of Dotson, Cushenberry and Fuaga would be monstrous improvement. No more soft line to be abused by defenses.

Pass rush: Huff would make a huge difference. He and Allen coming off the Edge with Walker on the inside would be hard for offenses to contend with.

The run defense would be solid with a healthy Hamilton and Jackson. Jackson also helps the pass rush since he would be tough to contain with one blocker.

I'd like your thoughts on this, especially those who are frequent contributors to this sight ( you know who you are).

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2024, 04:34 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-15-2024, 04:12 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 08:51 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just looking at overthecap. So we have $12.9m cap to spend but that counts Josh Allen as not on the roster so that money and more is already gone for him.

Looking at cap savings

Easy decisions to release: Scherff, Robinson, Foley and Rayshawn. That makes $51 million in cap savings. Scherff is replaced by draft pick or Hodges. Robinson replaced at left tackle by Harrison. Rayshawn replaced by Antonio Johnson and Foley replaced by draft pick.

Tougher decision: Zay Jones. I believe he's worth keeping despite cap savings, especially if Ridley walks.

Easy decision to keep: Darious Williams. Played at a high level this season. Might re-do his contract to add cap savings.

Following these decisions, I'd make these specific moves in free agency and the draft:

Free agency: Sign Lloyd Cushenberry. He is the best center and only 26. Not sure what the contract would be, but let's say it is structured to pay him most at the end of a 4 year deal for $58 million. Cap hit in 2024: $10 million

Sign Bryce Huff: Excellent pass rusher and only 25. Contract: 3 years for $40 million (PFF estimate). Cap hit in 2024 is also $10 million.

Draft picks: 

Round 1: Fuaga/Fautanu: Will start at guard in 1st year if Little can win right tackle job.

Round 2: Best wide receiver to replace Ridley. Top choice is Franklin, but Leggett, Walker, Mitchell or Worthy would all be acceptable.

Round 3 ( compensatory pick): McKinley Jackson to replace Foley on defensive line.

Remainder of draft: Add another corner or safety, offensive lineman and pass rusher.

Keep in mind that I am not a salary cap expert and my estimated salaries/cap hits are just estimates based on PFF projections. The purpose of this exercise was to determine the best off-season moves given the current state of the Jaguars. The end result would likely be a significant improvement to the roster in these areas:

Offensive line: Interior line of Dotson, Cushenberry and Fuaga would be monstrous improvement. No more soft line to be abused by defenses.

Pass rush: Huff would make a huge difference. He and Allen coming off the Edge with Walker on the inside would be hard for offenses to contend with.

The run defense would be solid with a healthy Hamilton and Jackson. Jackson also helps the pass rush since he would be tough to contain with one blocker.

I'd like your thoughts on this, especially those who are frequent contributors to this sight ( you know who you are).

This covers our bases on paper. I have no qualms with cutting Robinson, Jenkins, Fatukasi and Scherff. I would prefer they work something out with Ridley and he ultimately stays. I would cut Zay Jones instead and save a little more there and still look for another receiving option.

In your scenario. I like the first round investment at OG/Future OT. Harrison can probably handle LT in year two. He had some really great tests as a rookie over at RT and he held up considerably better than expected. 

I have been thinking WR in RD1, but, there's some opportunities in RD2 and even RD3 I think to add something we're missing. Between Leggett and Franklin on day two or, in my opinion, in RD3, you could probably get a guy like Johnny Wilson out of FSU.

I wouldn't mind Idaho's Hayden Hatten as well. Big time sleeper pick in my opinion for me personally. I wouldn't blink taking him in RD4.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-15-2024, 04:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 04:12 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: This is a helpful list. Of the players mentioned:

Draft picks: 

This covers our bases on paper. I have no qualms with cutting Robinson, Jenkins, Fatukasi and Scherff. I would prefer they work something out with Ridley and he ultimately stays. I would cut Zay Jones instead and save a little more there and still look for another receiving option.

In your scenario. I like the first round investment at OG/Future OT. Harrison can probably handle LT in year two. He had some really great tests as a rookie over at RT and he held up considerably better than expected. 

I have been thinking WR in RD1, but, there's some opportunities in RD2 and even RD3 I think to add something we're missing. Between Leggett and Franklin on day two or, in my opinion, in RD3, you could probably get a guy like Johnny Wilson out of FSU.

I wouldn't mind Idaho's Hayden Hatten as well. Big time sleeper pick in my opinion for me personally. I wouldn't blink taking him in RD4.

Thanks for the feedback. I can tell you are a fan of the tall receivers who can get downfield: Brian Thomas and Johnny Wilson- to name a few. Both would be nice additions, but the better value would be Wilson in round 3.Still sticking with OL in round 1.

(01-15-2024, 05:00 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 04:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This covers our bases on paper. I have no qualms with cutting Robinson, Jenkins, Fatukasi and Scherff. I would prefer they work something out with Ridley and he ultimately stays. I would cut Zay Jones instead and save a little more there and still look for another receiving option.

Thanks for the feedback. I can tell you are a fan of the tall receivers who can get downfield: Brian Thomas and Johnny Wilson- to name a few. Both would be nice additions, but the better value would be Wilson in round 3.Still sticking with OL in round 1.

Yeah. It's hard to argue the value there. It all starts up front and our front is God awful. I would be good with either outcome. Provided they get the picks right.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Well, it really sucks that we sputtered out of the playoff race, it should be recognized that we ended the year with a particularly difficult schedule (outside of the Titans and the Panthers). Additionally, we need to keep this in the big picture regarding the overall franchise. We have been bottom feeders for two decades. We finally have a competent coach and a quarterback with real potential. Let’s not get lost in the fact that maybe we don’t have a top three quarterback, or the very best coach. The jags are a small market team. We need to work with what we got. I think some of the panic was overblown. The NFL is close enough in talent that a few injuries and weaknesses can add up.

(01-16-2024, 10:03 AM)Newton Wrote: Well, it really sucks that we sputtered out of the playoff race, it should be recognized that we ended the year with a particularly difficult schedule (outside of the Titans and the Panthers). Additionally, we need to keep this in the big picture regarding the overall franchise. We have been bottom feeders for two decades. We finally have a competent coach and a quarterback with real potential. Let’s not get lost in the fact that maybe we don’t have a top three quarterback, or the very best coach. The jags are a small market team. We need to work with what we got. I think some of the panic was overblown. The NFL is close enough in talent that a few injuries and weaknesses can add up.

Thanks for this rational perspective. It's too early to write this team off for the reasons you mentioned.

I think this article is pretty accurate and everyone should read it. The thing that jumped out to me was 120 running plays, or 26% of all our running plays, went for no yardage or a loss.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3931...r-lawrence

If I knew when and where we were running, no wonder the defenses knew. Super predictable. Too late to be concerned now. Hopefully things improve next season because I love this team. Jags should still be playing this weekend coming up. We would have been playing the ravens so maybe it’s better this way.

(01-17-2024, 06:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think this article is pretty accurate and everyone should read it.  The thing that jumped out to me was 120 running plays, or 26% of all our running plays, went for no yardage or a loss. 

Yeah that's bc Trevor sucks though.

I mean, we basically have Trent Williams, Lane Johnson, and Fortner is essentially Jason Kelce but they're all too limited to run block by Trevor's poor play.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2024, 02:22 PM by JagFan81.)

(01-15-2024, 04:12 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

Looking at cap savings

Draft picks: 

This is a great post. I gotta admit I'm unsure what to do with Cam and Scherff. I'm not saying any decision is wrong at the moment just not sure what's the nest route. Josh must be resigned so we are going to have to let someone walk to help with that. Do you let one go and another next offseason? If your going to let them both go eventually is it worth just taking the hit and letting them both go this offseason? Oline is top priority and I fear letting 2 starters walk, even if they had down years and replacing them and bringing in the depth and talent we already needed. This is a huge decision that Baalke needs to get right, that's why I'm not a GM!

Sadly that decision probably decides what happens with Ridley. Another really tough decision. I'd be disappointed to see Zay go as he's been solid and I think he's worth what we are paying next year. Washington got better with more snaps, Tim Jones is an unknown really and we kept a lot of WR's this year, I'd hope they think they have someone who could replace Agnew and maybe be Zays replacement down the line.

FA'S are always tough as there's names on the list you want but not sure who will actually hit the market. I more than like the names you listed and there are some vet Dline and Oline players I hope will go to FA that we could get for around $4m$7m for a year. One name I'm not sure about is Dante Fowler. He's getting $3m from Dallas and if we could have someone like that as a rotation, passing downs rusher I'd be OK with that.

I've got to be honest that I've done a terrible job keeping up with college football this year so a bit out the loop on who to go for. You've made some good recommendations across a few threads and players I'll definitely check out.

(01-17-2024, 09:03 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 06:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think this article is pretty accurate and everyone should read it.  The thing that jumped out to me was 120 running plays, or 26% of all our running plays, went for no yardage or a loss. 

Yeah that's bc Trevor sucks though.

I mean, we basically have Trent Williams, Lane Johnson, and Fortner is essentially Jason Kelce but they're all too limited to run block by Trevor's poor play.

Laughing

The only difference between me and Jerry Rice is coaching. If only I'd known that.

That's an average of 7 plays per game where we tried a running play that went for no yardage or a loss.   That's astounding.

(01-17-2024, 02:20 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 04:12 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: This is a helpful list. Of the players mentioned:

Draft picks: 

This is a great post. I gotta admit I'm unsure what to do with Cam and Scherff. I'm not saying any decision is wrong at the moment just not sure what's the nest route. Josh must be resigned so we are going to have to let someone walk to help with that. Do you let one go and another next offseason? If your going to let them both go eventually is it worth just taking the hit and letting them both go this offseason? Oline is top priority and I fear letting 2 starters walk, even if they had down years and replacing them and bringing in the depth and talent we already needed. This is a huge decision that Baalke needs to get right, that's why I'm not a GM!

Sadly that decision probably decides what happens with Ridley. Another really tough decision. I'd be disappointed to see Zay go as he's been solid and I think he's worth what we are paying next year. Washington got better with more snaps, Tim Jones is an unknown really and we kept a lot of WR's this year, I'd hope they think they have someone who could replace Agnew and maybe be Zays replacement down the line.

FA'S are always tough as there's names on the list you want but not sure who will actually hit the market. I more than like the names you listed and there are some vet Dline and Oline players I hope will go to FA that we could get for around $4m$7m for a year. One name I'm not sure about is Dante Fowler. He's getting $3m from Dallas and if we could have someone like that as a rotation, passing downs rusher I'd be OK with that.

I've got to be honest that I've done a terrible job keeping up with college football this year so a bit out the loop on who to go for. You've made some good recommendations across a few threads and players I'll definitely check out.

(01-17-2024, 09:03 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Yeah that's bc Trevor sucks though.

Laughing

The only difference between me and Jerry Rice is coaching. If only I'd known that.
JagFan 81, you make some very valid points. I definitely agree about keeping Zay Jones. He gets hurt too much, but he and Lawrence seem to have a great connection which cannot be said about Lawrence and Ridley. The decisions regarding the offensive lines will obviously be critical. Unless Robinson and Scherff do some major restructuring of their contracts, I'd have to let them go. That's why they drafted guys like Harrison and Walker Little. Both these players will be much less expensive next season than Robinson and Scherff. Scherff's replacement can either come from the draft (Fuaga, Fautanu) or free agency (Dotson and others). Personally, I'd love the idea of adding a first round lineman, Dotson AND a free agent center. The team could afford this after releasing Robinson, Scherff, Fatukasi, Jenkins and possibly Ridley. No doubt, it would take the new line some time to jell, but once they did you'd have a group that is much more physical in run-blocking with the necessary trait of protecting Lawrence ( pass blocking ). This line would be young and could grow together with Lawrence.

My only other thought is regarding your comment on Baalke. Unfortunately, I have little faith he will draft the right players and believe the team would be better off by firing him and replacing him with some of the posters on this thread!

Now we wait for some new news.

(01-18-2024, 12:17 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 02:20 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: This is a great post. I gotta admit I'm unsure what to do with Cam and Scherff. I'm not saying any decision is wrong at the moment just not sure what's the nest route. Josh must be resigned so we are going to have to let someone walk to help with that. Do you let one go and another next offseason? If your going to let them both go eventually is it worth just taking the hit and letting them both go this offseason? Oline is top priority and I fear letting 2 starters walk, even if they had down years and replacing them and bringing in the depth and talent we already needed. This is a huge decision that Baalke needs to get right, that's why I'm not a GM!

Laughing

JagFan 81, you make some very valid points. I definitely agree about keeping Zay Jones. He gets hurt too much, but he and Lawrence seem to have a great connection which cannot be said about Lawrence and Ridley. The decisions regarding the offensive lines will obviously be critical. Unless Robinson and Scherff do some major restructuring of their contracts, I'd have to let them go. That's why they drafted guys like Harrison and Walker Little. Both these players will be much less expensive next season than Robinson and Scherff. Scherff's replacement can either come from the draft (Fuaga, Fautanu) or free agency (Dotson and others). Personally, I'd love the idea of adding a first round lineman, Dotson AND a free agent center. The team could afford this after releasing Robinson, Scherff, Fatukasi, Jenkins and possibly Ridley. No doubt, it would take the new line some time to jell, but once they did you'd have a group that is much more physical in run-blocking with the necessary trait of protecting Lawrence ( pass blocking ). This line would be young and could grow together with Lawrence.

My only other thought is regarding your comment on Baalke. Unfortunately, I have little faith he will draft the right players and believe the team would be better off by firing him and replacing him with some of the posters on this thread!

I've got to say I'm loving your posts. Definitely one of the good posters who offers good ideas and debates.

I've been thinking about the Oline for a few days and my thoughts have changed a few times this season. I saw Cam as an easy cut this offseason and an easy way to save some cap. Scherff's performances worried me and I sadly don't see him being much better next year. Little offers us some good versatility but he needs to start playing one position and working on improving there and he didn't have a season where he seems a ready made replacement for Cam but I do think it may be better to let Cam and Scherff walk this offseason, bring in 2 OL in the draft, add another 2 in FA and use camp to work out your best 5 and ride with that knowing you have some depth if you have injuries or it's not working. 

It will be interesting to see who they go for as DC and not seen too many names linked yet so not really sure what direction they go in. Will they look to have the same kind of system? Go for a 4-3? Let the new DC use a system they want? We need some more quality depth all over the D and I hope we try and add some vets on reasonable deals to go with the youth we have. Dine definitely needs more talent but where we focus will depend on new DC.

I get peoples thoughts on Baalke and am no way saying they are wrong. I think that first season FA signings have been what's bought him time. Mostly they've been a success but his draft picks haven't been great. I have a lot of the same worries and concerns as everyone else does but I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt right now but this is a make ot break offseason for him. There are a lot of big decisions he needs to get right not just to save his job but to keep this team progressing in the right direction.

(01-18-2024, 03:18 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 12:17 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: JagFan 81, you make some very valid points. I definitely agree about keeping Zay Jones. He gets hurt too much, but he and Lawrence seem to have a great connection which cannot be said about Lawrence and Ridley. The decisions regarding the offensive lines will obviously be critical. Unless Robinson and Scherff do some major restructuring of their contracts, I'd have to let them go. That's why they drafted guys like Harrison and Walker Little. Both these players will be much less expensive next season than Robinson and Scherff. Scherff's replacement can either come from the draft (Fuaga, Fautanu) or free agency (Dotson and others). Personally, I'd love the idea of adding a first round lineman, Dotson AND a free agent center. The team could afford this after releasing Robinson, Scherff, Fatukasi, Jenkins and possibly Ridley. No doubt, it would take the new line some time to jell, but once they did you'd have a group that is much more physical in run-blocking with the necessary trait of protecting Lawrence ( pass blocking ). This line would be young and could grow together with Lawrence.

I've got to say I'm loving your posts. Definitely one of the good posters who offers good ideas and debates.

I've been thinking about the Oline for a few days and my thoughts have changed a few times this season. I saw Cam as an easy cut this offseason and an easy way to save some cap. Scherff's performances worried me and I sadly don't see him being much better next year. Little offers us some good versatility but he needs to start playing one position and working on improving there and he didn't have a season where he seems a ready made replacement for Cam but I do think it may be better to let Cam and Scherff walk this offseason, bring in 2 OL in the draft, add another 2 in FA and use camp to work out your best 5 and ride with that knowing you have some depth if you have injuries or it's not working. 

It will be interesting to see who they go for as DC and not seen too many names linked yet so not really sure what direction they go in. Will they look to have the same kind of system? Go for a 4-3? Let the new DC use a system they want? We need some more quality depth all over the D and I hope we try and add some vets on reasonable deals to go with the youth we have. Dine definitely needs more talent but where we focus will depend on new DC.

I get peoples thoughts on Baalke and am no way saying they are wrong. I think that first season FA signings have been what's bought him time. Mostly they've been a success but his draft picks haven't been great. I have a lot of the same worries and concerns as everyone else does but I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt right now but this is a make ot break offseason for him. There are a lot of big decisions he needs to get right not just to save his job but to keep this team progressing in the right direction.
First of all, thanks for the compliment. I've always been a devoted fan and had season tickets until 2 years ago- when they started winning again! At this point, I prefer to just watch at home and not have to deal with heat, $10 beer (or higher) and PTSD after so many horrible seasonsSmile. The draft has always been my passion and now that I'm retired there is even more time to devote to it. 

That's enough about me. As far as your other comments, the new defensive coordinator's preferred scheme should definitely influence the free agent and draft selections made by Baalke and staff. It will be interesting to see in which direction they go. I'm a big believer, however, that play-calling and schemes can be overrated; the teams that draft the best players (and free agent selection) will consistently have the best records. The Ravens and Steelers have been 2 of the best franchises for several years due to their success in the draft. Baalke did have success with his free agents and deserves credit for that. As you said, it is likely the reason he remains the general manager despite his poor record in the draft. It's also obvious that Shad Khan has a very slow trigger when it comes to firing coaches and general managers (with the exception of Urban Meyer). As diehard fans, we can just hope he makes the right decisions this off-season in free agency and the draft. If he does, the Jaguars should rebound next season and compete with the Texans for the AFC South title with the good chance of winning a couple playoff games.