Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(06-14-2021, 09:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 09:03 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I bought a Bose soundbar for my Vizio 52 inch TV, but it was a 'dumb' TV.  I wanted to get a new smart TV, so I invested in a new Samsung 50 inch UHD.  Everything was copacetic for about three months.  Then the soundbar stopped playing the TV audio.  Turns out there is a software issue between the Samsung TVs and Bose soundbars and this is a known issue.  I guess in the long run, it's my fault.  But who the [BLEEP] knew to even check something like that?  So now I have a $1200 Bose decoration sitting in my entertainment stand.

I guess the pricetag makes it more than trivial.     Angry

Is it completely wireless, or is there an option for an optical or HDMI cable?

It is HDMI to/from the TV.  Google it, you'll see.  It's a known issue.  I've [BLEEP] around with it for hours.  Sometimes I'll get it to work for a little while.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-14-2021, 10:26 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 09:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Is it completely wireless, or is there an option for an optical or HDMI cable?

It is HDMI to/from the TV.  Google it, you'll see.  It's a known issue.  I've [BLEEP] around with it for hours.  Sometimes I'll get it to work for a little while.

Odd considering all of this stuff should be working on industry standards. Someone at Samsung fat fingered the software. I'm sure they must be aware of this. Hopefully they will release an update.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 11:41 AM by RicoTx.)

(06-14-2021, 11:11 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 10:26 AM)RicoTx Wrote: It is HDMI to/from the TV.  Google it, you'll see.  It's a known issue.  I've [BLEEP] around with it for hours.  Sometimes I'll get it to work for a little while.

Odd considering all of this stuff should be working on industry standards. Someone at Samsung fat fingered the software. I'm sure they must be aware of this. Hopefully they will release an update.

I'm thinking I'll just move the Samsung out to the lanai and mount it to the wall.  Kinda sucks because it's the newest of the two.  But the sound bar is awesome.  I still have the Vizio.  The picture is still great (not quite as crisp as the Samsung)...assuming nothing happened to it in the move (it's still in the box).  I'll just need to get another Roku stick or box.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 02:11 PM by Jags.)

Been fighting with my tv and sound at for a long time now, as well. Both are Samsung.  Tried Hdmi, optical and BT.  It works when it works.

My TV works just fine.  Big screen with nothing on it and no sound.  I might have to adjust the rabbit ears to get this "picture" and "sound" that you all speak of.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-14-2021, 08:38 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 06:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The point of the express lane is to get checked out quickly and move on so the next person can get through quickly. Writing a check is opposite of express lane.

Is it faster to have to void the entire sale if you realize your debit card is on the counter at home or in the car, or worse, in some pickpocket's hands?

In the grand scheme of my day, if waiting two minutes in the express lane for someone to write a check is the worst thing that I have to face, it is one heckuva good day.

Not leaning in to you personally, americus, but this is a thing we try to instill in our (impatient) children - judging and assumption can put us in a bad place, we don't know why the young person is riding around on the rascal cart, or why they are wearing pajamas in the store, or why they are writing a check in the express lane. I guess that sense of entitlement and judginess is my trivial annoyance. And of course, being kids, they know that this is the button to push any time they want to rile up dad. Smile

I get what you're saying and I agree. But who takes a checkbook to the grocery store? Lol. That makes less sense to me than people wearing pajamas to the store. 

I'm not sure what that says about me.  Big Grin  I'm used to seeing pajama-wearing young folks, especially at walmart, but I can't tell you the last time I saw someone whip out a checkbook at any store.

(06-14-2021, 08:44 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 07:50 PM)Jags Wrote: To the bolded,   You’re absolutely correct.  I’m not quite sure the poor souls behind us is incorporated in that.  He/she really should be.  Here I am wearing my “thinking and feeling for others hat”.  It sucks.  

I propose an old, about to be gone, lane.  Problem is most of the employees are paid hourly.  What business wants to pay hourly to appease old peeps?

The solution is now to let you do all the work of the hourly people, and pay just one person to oversee all of the amateurs.

Progress?

I only use self checkout for small stuff and would rather do it myself then stand behind two or three people loaded down with full carts. 

My father-in-law asked a grocery clerk once if he could get a discount for bagging his own groceries and self checkout. Lol.

(06-11-2021, 06:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 10:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Has our society really become so impatient that this is a big deal?

The point of the express lane is to get checked out quickly and move on so the next person can get through quickly. Writing a check is opposite of express lane.

It is the merchant, not the customer, who sets the conditions of the express lane and typically it's limited to number of items, not form of payment.  Very few people (mostly seniors) use checks anymore, whereas many go through the express lane with double the number of items allowed.  

Personally, I have no problem waiting for someone to write a check, but it's hugely irritating to watch some idiot with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement unload a shopping cart.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(06-14-2021, 07:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 08:44 AM)Mikey Wrote: The solution is now to let you do all the work of the hourly people, and pay just one person to oversee all of the amateurs.

Progress?

I only use self checkout for small stuff and would rather do it myself then stand behind two or three people loaded down with full carts. 

My father-in-law asked a grocery clerk once if he could get a discount for bagging his own groceries and self checkout. Lol.

Yes, because every fifth item is free.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-14-2021, 06:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 08:38 AM)Mikey Wrote: Is it faster to have to void the entire sale if you realize your debit card is on the counter at home or in the car, or worse, in some pickpocket's hands?

In the grand scheme of my day, if waiting two minutes in the express lane for someone to write a check is the worst thing that I have to face, it is one heckuva good day.

Not leaning in to you personally, americus, but this is a thing we try to instill in our (impatient) children - judging and assumption can put us in a bad place, we don't know why the young person is riding around on the rascal cart, or why they are wearing pajamas in the store, or why they are writing a check in the express lane. I guess that sense of entitlement and judginess is my trivial annoyance. And of course, being kids, they know that this is the button to push any time they want to rile up dad. Smile

I get what you're saying and I agree. But who takes a checkbook to the grocery store? Lol. That makes less sense to me than people wearing pajamas to the store. 

I'm not sure what that says about me.  Big Grin  I'm used to seeing pajama-wearing young folks, especially at walmart, but I can't tell you the last time I saw someone whip out a checkbook at any store.

It's Flurda, we expect it from the infestation of olds. Worse was the wacko in front of me the other day, who spent ten mins in the express line bragging to the clerk about her debit card. I would have rather she just wrote a check!

(06-15-2021, 08:42 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 06:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I get what you're saying and I agree. But who takes a checkbook to the grocery store? Lol. That makes less sense to me than people wearing pajamas to the store. 

It's Flurda, we expect it from the infestation of olds. Worse was the wacko in front of me the other day, who spent ten mins in the express line bragging to the clerk about her debit card. I would have rather she just wrote a check!

Haha how do you brag about a debit card?

(06-15-2021, 04:41 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 08:42 AM)Mikey Wrote: It's Flurda, we expect it from the infestation of olds. Worse was the wacko in front of me the other day, who spent ten mins in the express line bragging to the clerk about her debit card. I would have rather she just wrote a check!

Haha how do you brag about a debit card?

Yeah…I need to hear about this card! Laughing
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2021, 06:17 PM by Jags.)

I left my Costas on my tonneau cover while at storage hooking up a trailer at 630 in the morning. At 700 am the sun was peeking through at a bad angel.  I reach for my sunglasses.  Not on my head. Get out and check the tonneau.  They must be somewhere on 210 ran over into nothing by now.  The rest of the day didn’t get better, but that was the thing that bugged me the most.

(06-15-2021, 06:16 PM)Jags Wrote: I left my Costas on my tonneau cover while at storage hooking up a trailer at 630 in the morning. At 700 am the sun was peeking through at a bad angel.  I reach for my sunglasses.  Not on my head. Get out and check the tonneau.  They must be somewhere on 210 ran over into nothing by now.  The rest of the day didn’t get better, but that was the thing that bugged me the most.

Until last year I would swear on a bible that I would never see the benefit of a pair of sunglasses that cost a couple of hundred dollars. To me it just seemed absurd to pay that kind of money. Until I got a pair by way of a loophole in our vision insurance and cost me nothing outside of the monthly premium for our insurance.

I. Love. My. Costas.

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2021, 07:28 PM by Jags.)

(06-15-2021, 06:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 06:16 PM)Jags Wrote: I left my Costas on my tonneau cover while at storage hooking up a trailer at 630 in the morning. At 700 am the sun was peeking through at a bad angel.  I reach for my sunglasses.  Not on my head. Get out and check the tonneau.  They must be somewhere on 210 ran over into nothing by now.  The rest of the day didn’t get better, but that was the thing that bugged me the most.

Until last year I would swear on a bible that I would never see the benefit of a pair of sunglasses that cost a couple of hundred dollars. To me it just seemed absurd to pay that kind of money. Until I got a pair by way of a loophole in our vision insurance and cost me nothing outside of the monthly premium for our insurance.

I. Love. My. Costas.

They are top notch aren’t they?  I’m a firm believer in that you get what you pay for.  Sometimes it’s hard to figure out at times.  Over the years I could’ve bought 2 or 3 pairs of Costas for what I paid for the 15-20 Walmart polarized stuff.  I eventually bought UA safety sunglasses.  They worked for a bit.  Couple years. When they got worn out, I went Costa and wondered why I hadn’t done it before.  Same with shoes.  Regular UA, Nike tennis shoes last at best 3 months.  Idk why.  My wife bought me these “indestructible” shoes for Christmas.  Steel toe, puncture proof, slip resistant, and Kevlar (is it called an upper?).  After six months… not indestructible.  But my $200+ pair of redwings I’ve had for years.  Still waterproof too!

I have a nice pair of Oakleys my wife bought for me as a bday gift a few years ago. I still thank her for it.

(06-15-2021, 07:32 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have a nice pair of Oakleys my wife bought for me as a bday gift a few years ago. I still thank her for it.

If I remember correctly, you’ve got the Tacoma with the truck nuts.   If you happen to have a tonneau on it, allow me to give you this “pro tip”.  Don’t set your sunglasses on it then drive off at 55+mph.   You’ll no longer have said awesome sunnys. (Thanks Steve Irwin)

(06-15-2021, 07:39 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 07:32 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have a nice pair of Oakleys my wife bought for me as a bday gift a few years ago. I still thank her for it.

If I remember correctly, you’ve got the Tacoma with the truck nuts.   If you happen to have a tonneau on it, allow me to give you this “pro tip”.  Don’t set your sunglasses on it then drive off at 55+mph.   You’ll no longer have said awesome sunnys. (Thanks Steve Irwin)

That’s why I hang them on the nuts. If I forget to retrieve them, I’m driving around with the coolest balls in Jacksonville.

(06-15-2021, 08:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 07:39 PM)Jags Wrote: If I remember correctly, you’ve got the Tacoma with the truck nuts.   If you happen to have a tonneau on it, allow me to give you this “pro tip”.  Don’t set your sunglasses on it then drive off at 55+mph.   You’ll no longer have said awesome sunnys. (Thanks Steve Irwin)

That’s why I hang them on the nuts. If I forget to retrieve them, I’m driving around with the coolest balls in Jacksonville.

I bought my first pair of Oakleys about 30 years ago...Oakley Blades.  I had them for about two hours.  Went to St. Augustine Beach.  Was in about waist deep water.  I proceeded to get smacked in the face by a higher than normal wave.

There was probably a pretty cool looking fish swimming around in those waters.

(06-15-2021, 08:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 08:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: That’s why I hang them on the nuts. If I forget to retrieve them, I’m driving around with the coolest balls in Jacksonville.

I bought my first pair of Oakleys about 30 years ago...Oakley Blades.  I had them for about two hours.  Went to St. Augustine Beach.  Was in about waist deep water.  I proceeded to get smacked in the face by a higher than normal wave.

There was probably a pretty cool looking fish swimming around in those waters.
Gotta watch out for those rogue waves.  Especially in the high seas of ST A beach.  The waves are so gnarly I think I’ve seen a surfer surf for about 2.4 seconds straight!!!