Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Post Game QB discussion

The big dance coming in less than 3 weeks........who do I ask? Whoopi Goldberg or Rosie O'Donnell?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-25-2017, 04:53 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 04:49 AM)wg171 Wrote: I agree. Blake's days in Jacksonville are numbered.

I will answer the hypothetical however...
I would cut him. Then try to sign him for a lot less than 20 mil. Short term deal only. He doesn't take it...I let him walk.

That's not a bad suggestion...

If he doesn't take it, would you keep Allen on the roster and draft a QB in 2018, draft a QB AND try and get one in FA and have a complete overhaul at QB or would you keep BA and get a free agent to support him?

It's a tricky situation..

I think I'd plan on drafting a QB either way. 

I still hope we throw the bank at Cousin's next year or trade for Smith
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 07:00 AM by trunt87.)

This is what y'all wanted. Chad dink and dunk no feet inaccurate Henne. Good god that guy sucks.

Dude was 4 of 4 for 14 yards at one point. Hahahahahaha.

We truly have reached an all-time low around here..

(08-25-2017, 07:04 AM)navyjagfan Wrote: We truly have reached an all-time low around here..

Come on, we are still rebuilding. This stuff takes time. The oline will gel, it was a smart move keeping the same exact coaching staff as last season because we have continuity.  Big Grin Big Grin

Just waiting to hear it later on today or over the weekend.

"Brandon Allen will get the start next Thursday in Atlanta with the first string".

The only thing I'll have to look forward to this year is Vikings on History and The Walking Dead on AMC.

[BLEEP] Jaguars.....
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-25-2017, 04:33 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Just playing Devils Advocate here:

Let's say Blake actually performs during the season (I know it's a reach, but let's go with it for the sake of this post). Let's say his stats are similar to that of 2015, and we did enough to win the division.

Where would you guys sit with Blake then? Would you welcome the extension or would you still cut him, draft a QB and have Allen and a Rookie QB from the 2018 draft on the roster?..

I ask because I'm intrigued to find out people's stances on the situation. Personally, I still see something in Blake (I know, I know...) I think he could still perform for us.. I certainly don't think it's dead in the water... yet!

No. He'd still get cut. IMO, he needs a near MVP type season to save his job and by the looks of the preseason, that's not going to happen. Not even close.

Henne played as expected, not great. But had some very nice deeper throws including another big 50+ yard ridiculous drop of a perfect strike by Cole, for all you stats quoters and "check down Chad" can't say goodbye to Bortles guys...

Bortles also played as expected, including essentially yet another horrible Pick-6.  He was also playing largely against 2-3 teamers.  Did you watch his throws even in warmups? THE DUDE CANT THROW AT AN NFL LEVEL, NEVER COULD, PERIOD.  

The options remain bad, THANKS CALDWELL AND FO, but I'll easily take the guy who can at least throw the ball at something that resembles NFL caliber.  And sorry, we may not like to say it, but that's Henne. I really can't comprehend the folks calling for Bortles groundhogs day at this point. Or do you actually think he can throw the ball and make better mental decisions than Henne?  Because if you think that, I seriously question your football experience, acumen, or eyesight.

BB5 outplayed Henne against the Panthers w/o a doubt. The stats alone proves it. His pocket presence is better along w/his mobility while throwing on the run as the starting QB will most definitely have to do.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 08:36 AM by Cleatwood.)

(08-24-2017, 10:50 PM)BklynJag Wrote: We might go winless
You are the worst poster in the history of this board.

Congrats.

So Bortles throws 2 interceptions, one that was almost a pick 6, against the Panthers reserves and now you want him to start again? Henne had 1 TD dropped by Keelan Cole which would have made all the difference in how people are perceiving his game.

Henne is not good by any means but he's not going to give the other team 6 points. Blake just can't help himself..... even against backups.

(08-24-2017, 10:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: The reality is we don't have a good QB on the roster. It's damage limitation more than anything.

Henne is awful. Isn't accurate, checks down all the time but can hit a deep shot here and here.

Bortles is awful. Throws tons of picks and has little to no confidence. If he gets injured he's stuck in the roster for millions. He is mobile though and can pick up throws on his legs, that's about it...

Allen is unknown more than anything. He's accurate, pretty mobile and seems to have a decent grasp of the offense. Great at playaction. I would have really liked to see him play with the 1s. His arm is average at best and he's pretty small but I think he gives us the best shot. Especially when our gameplan is going to be run the stones out of Fournette and dink and dunk up the field.

Well said. I hope Allen gets the entire fourth game like he did last year.

(08-24-2017, 11:02 PM)wg171 Wrote: Can't the Jags just cut Blake before having to pay the 19+ million?

As long as they cut him before he gets injured.
'02

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 08:41 AM by NH3.)

Quick Question.

Why did they give Brandon Allen the opportunity to potentially win the game?

Could It Be?

NH3...
"AZANE"

(08-25-2017, 08:31 AM)NH3 Wrote: BB5 outplayed Henne against the Panthers w/o a doubt. The stats alone proves it. His pocket presence is better along w/his mobility while throwing on the run as the starting QB will most definitely have to do.

NH3...

Stats alone is the determining factor? Against mostly backups? Another horrible pick-6? Did he throw better downfield passes than Henne? Did you watch Bortles erratic subpar throwing, even warmups?

Bortles pick that got ran back was another freak situation that seems to happen when you try to make throws down the field to people who arent wide open. If hurns holds on Its a great throw, but he didn't and the db ripped it out of his gut. You can't really blame that pick on bortles. He threaded a window to get it in the gut of hurns while protecting him from a big hit and hurns just didn't secure it.
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(08-24-2017, 11:04 PM)realtorpat Wrote: I see why Wynn does well he is the only receiver quick enough to get open consistently.  Him Westbrook and Cole are the hardest 3 to decide who makes the team I think.  Although I think we could go light at db and ol.  A ton of our depth can be stashed on the ps.  Ol enough are positionally flexible to keep less. Biggest surprise I could see possible is cutting Benn and keeping the other 3 or possibly keeping 7 wr and going light at te

I don't see us cutting Benn or taking 7 WRs. Wynn makes for a nifty slot WR with some game on returns, but I see making the PS for now. If we're keeping two WRs on the PS, at this point I'd guess Wynn and Pinkard.
'02

(08-25-2017, 08:42 AM)archer56 Wrote: Bortles pick that got ran back was another freak situation that seems to happen when you try to make throws down the field to people who arent wide open. If hurns holds on Its a great throw, but he didn't and the db ripped it out of his gut. You can't really blame that pick on bortles.  He threaded a window to get it in the gut of hurns while protecting him from a big hit and hurns just didn't secure it.

Yes, you can. Weak throw, and late, into coverage. That's Blake, nothing new, no excuses, no more groundhogs day.

(08-25-2017, 08:31 AM)NH3 Wrote: BB5 outplayed Henne against the Panthers w/o a doubt. The stats alone proves it. His pocket presence is better along w/his mobility while throwing on the run as the starting QB will most definitely have to do.

NH3...

Exactly.  Bortles looked like Henne did with the 2's, the difference is Bortles is mobile and isn't afraid to throw the ball down field.  With a good coach you harness that, control the mistakes, and that is what makes the team better.

While Henne may take away some mistakes he also takes away many of the big plays.

(08-25-2017, 08:22 AM)keeper88 Wrote: Henne played as expected, not great. But had some very nice deeper throws including another big 50+ yard ridiculous drop of a perfect strike by Cole, for all you stats quoters and "check down Chad" can't say goodbye to Bortles guys...

Bortles also played as expected, including essentially yet another horrible Pick-6.  He was also playing largely against 2-3 teamers.  Did you watch his throws even in warmups? THE DUDE CANT THROW AT AN NFL LEVEL, NEVER COULD, PERIOD.  

The options remain bad, THANKS CALDWELL AND FO, but I'll easily take the guy who can at least throw the ball at something that resembles NFL caliber.  And sorry, we may not like to say it, but that's Henne. I really can't comprehend the folks calling for Bortles groundhogs day at this point. Or do you actually think he can throw the ball and make better mental decisions than Henne?  Because if you think that, I seriously question your football experience, acumen, or eyesight.

I would agree for the most part, but the Cole drop wasn't a perfect pass, it was just a good pass.

Cole had his man barely beaten to the outside but the throw was on the inside of the defender, and may be why it wasn't caught. Perfect would be if the throw were a couple of years closer to the sideline easier than making Cole have to fight back to the middle when the defender was on his inside hip.

If Bortles didn't make that terrible decision on the interception thrown Hurns way I'd say he had the clearly better game, but thanks to that stupid decision his otherwise clearly better game goes back to being questionable. Other than that he clearly has the athleticism and desire to make plays that Henne is sorely missing.

(08-25-2017, 08:41 AM)keeper88 Wrote:

NH3...

Stats alone is the determining factor? Against mostly backups? Another horrible pick-6? Did he throw better downfield passes than Henne? Did you watch Bortles erratic subpar throwing, even warmups?
That's basically how Henne got put into this position.  It was how he looked against 2's and the stats he put up.  Bortles looked better and put up more states against the back ups.

I get that we're picking between two guys that aren't very good, but I'd rather hang my hat on a guy that can throw for over 4000 yards than a guy that would have trouble throwing for 3000.

(08-25-2017, 08:40 AM)NH3 Wrote: Quick Question.

Why did they give Brandon Allen the opportunity to potentially win the game?

Could It Be?

NH3...

Good catch. I didn't watch the second half of that game so I didn't know. But that's an interesting point you have there. I said earlier I am just waiting to hear that he's getting the start now next Thursday in Atlanta. He's the only other option we can go with now. 

Bortles can't be trusted with the football. Henne just does what Henne does which isn't much. You don't know what you have with Allen until you throw his [BLEEP] out there to the wolves. Fight or flight. 

If he can be a Cody Kessler or a Case Keenum type QB this year that might be all we need to win maybe 6 - 7 games. With Bortles and Henne I see 4 - 5 games. Allen at least presents that "unknown" factor to defenses and coaches when they have to game plan for him.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."