Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hurns to be cut? Really?

(09-01-2017, 02:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 02:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Exactly! I was just about to say something similar when I ran across this.

The thing is, what team is going to trade for him and at what cost?

The only teams that come to mind for me are the Saints and the Ravens. They both could use some help on the outside. Hurns would be ideal with Brees. I don't know what their cap situations look like though. 

At this point it just seems a little late to see moves being made. But with cuts coming up over the weekend we shall see soon enough.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Honestly, the our media does this every year. Last year they were talking about how Telvin Smith could be traded, or replaced at the end of the season for Myles Jack, who is a better WLB.

Then they got a mouth full of reality when Telvin upped his game even more.

(09-01-2017, 02:32 PM)Sosa Wrote: Honestly, the our media does this every year. Last year they were talking about how Telvin Smith could be traded, or replaced at the end of the season for Myles Jack, who is a better WLB.

Then they got a mouth full of reality when Telvin upped his game even more.

True. But I don't think we had the luxury of depth at LB like we currently have at WR. From top down this is a damn good looking unit. I don't think we've ever had this good of overall depth in years. You would have to go back to the early 2000's before Keenan ended up in Tampa.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-01-2017, 02:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 02:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The thing is, what team is going to trade for him and at what cost?

The only teams that come to mind for me are the Saints and the Ravens. They both could use some help on the outside. Hurns would be ideal with Brees. I don't know what their cap situations look like though. 

At this point it just seems a little late to see moves being made. But with cuts coming up over the weekend we shall see soon enough.

Really? That's all you can think of? How about Jets, Chiefs, Cardinals, Bills, Bears, and Niners? Hurns is no worse than a #3 WR on any of those teams, a #1 on 4 of them

(09-01-2017, 01:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Did this start as a BCC rumor?  Seriously.

At this point my guess is the only "locks" to make the final 53 might be (in no particular order):

Allen Robinson
Allen Hurns
Marquise Lee
Dede Westbrook
Keelan Cole

After that the remaining WR's are listed as follows (again in no particular order).

Arrelious Benn
Rashad Greene Sr.
Jamal Robinson
Kenneth Walker
Shane Wynn
Amba Etta-Tawo
Larry Pinkard

So assuming the team keeps 6 WR's one of those players makes the final 53.  No matter who the 6th player is, there isn't another player on that second list that would be an upgrade and/or a replacement for Hurns.  Of the players on that list I would consider either Rashad Greene or Shane Wynn (possible practice squad candidate).

Yup.  A BCC rumor that really was just a tweet musing about possible roster moves including trading Hurns.  This turned into a viral rumor that has gotten to the point where it's one of the bigger stories around the Jags coming up to cut day.  

I agree with Bullseye that it makes more sense to carry 7 receivers than a full TE group based on the sheer lack of talent we've got with the TEs right now.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(09-01-2017, 02:34 PM)JNev Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 02:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote: The only teams that come to mind for me are the Saints and the Ravens. They both could use some help on the outside. Hurns would be ideal with Brees. I don't know what their cap situations look like though. 

Really? That's all you can think of? How about Jets, Chiefs, Cardinals, Bills, Bears, and Niners? Hurns is no worse than a #3 WR on any of those teams, a #1 on 4 of them

Of course their's more. I am at work. You caught me.  Big Grin

Normally I'll reel off what I have off the top of my head. Go back in and edit it and clean it up a bit. But you're spot on. There's a good market out their if we need to trade Hurns away.

Might the Patriots want Hurns to replace Edelman?

The Bears also really need a WR.

I like Hurns, but I do think our WRs without him can handle things just fine. We'd still have...
  • split-end: Allen Robinson, Arrelious Benn
  • flanker: Marqise Lee, Keelan Cole
  • slot: Dede Westbrook, Shane Wynn
Well be ok.
'02

(09-01-2017, 02:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote: The only teams that come to mind for me are the Saints and the Ravens. They both could use some help on the outside. Hurns would be ideal with Brees. I don't know what their cap situations look like though. 

One could argue that certain teams aren't currently in the business for acquiring players for picks...
Namely the jests and bills and probably 9ers.

I guess the Bears could pretend to try this year, but in that division, they should build for the future instead of the now

Chiefs, Cards, Saints, Ravens, and Pats could all use another weapon for their QBs.

(09-01-2017, 01:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Did this start as a BCC rumor?  Seriously.

At this point my guess is the only "locks" to make the final 53 might be (in no particular order):

Allen Robinson
Allen Hurns
Marquise Lee
Dede Westbrook
Keelan Cole

After that the remaining WR's are listed as follows (again in no particular order).

Arrelious Benn
Rashad Greene Sr.
Jamal Robinson
Kenneth Walker
Shane Wynn
Amba Etta-Tawo
Larry Pinkard

So assuming the team keeps 6 WR's one of those players makes the final 53.  No matter who the 6th player is, there isn't another player on that second list that would be an upgrade and/or a replacement for Hurns.  Of the players on that list I would consider either Rashad Greene or Shane Wynn (possible practice squad candidate).

As to your opening question, from my perspective, no. 

Like others, I heard the Hurns to be released speculation from Sexton and Boselli last night.

As to your lists, they seem sound.  If they keep Hurns and 6 WRs, I'd have to say Benn is the guy they keep, and Wynn and Etta-Tawo go to the practice squad.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-01-2017, 02:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 02:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The thing is, what team is going to trade for him and at what cost?

The thing is though, what would they be willing to give up as far as a trade?  WR's on the waiver wire are a "dime a dozen".

The same question to you that I asked Caldrac above.  What would a team be willing to give up in a trade scenario?  There are going to be a plethora of WR's on the waiver wire tomorrow (though maybe not as talented as Hurns).  I just don't see a team wasting draft picks for a trade deal.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017, 03:13 PM by JNev.)

Jets just traded for a WR... Just saying

Sheldon Richardson for Jermaine Kearse and a 2nd/3rd rd pick

(09-01-2017, 02:37 PM)FBT Wrote:

Allen Robinson
Allen Hurns
Marquise Lee
Dede Westbrook
Keelan Cole

Arrelious Benn
Rashad Greene Sr.
Jamal Robinson
Kenneth Walker
Shane Wynn
Amba Etta-Tawo
Larry Pinkard

Yup.  A BCC rumor that really was just a tweet musing about possible roster moves including trading Hurns.  This turned into a viral rumor that has gotten to the point where it's one of the bigger stories around the Jags coming up to cut day.  

I agree with Bullseye that it makes more sense to carry 7 receivers than a full TE group based on the sheer lack of talent we've got with the TEs right now.

As I suspected.  A tweet from a sorry opinion blogger somehow makes it into the news and it becomes a rumor.

When it comes to tight ends though, my pick for a "shocker" move as far as a release would be Marcedes Lewis.  Though I don't see it happening, in my mind it's more likely to happen than Hurns being cut.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-01-2017, 03:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 02:37 PM)FBT Wrote: I agree with Bullseye that it makes more sense to carry 7 receivers than a full TE group based on the sheer lack of talent we've got with the TEs right now.

As I suspected.  A tweet from a sorry opinion blogger somehow makes it into the news and it becomes a rumor.

When it comes to tight ends though, my pick for a "shocker" move as far as a release would be Marcedes Lewis.  Though I don't see it happening, in my mind it's more likely to happen than Hurns being cut.

Sexton was floating the theory last night on the broadcast. I believe of his own volition --  as the context sounded like he and Brunell had just been discussing/speculating off camera about why certain players were inactive. 

Marcedes won't be going anywhere with this O-Line struggling. He's the sixth offensive lineman on the field, and he's made a few really good run blocks this preseason.

(09-01-2017, 03:12 PM)JNev Wrote: Jets just traded for a WR... Just saying

And the rich get richer...... (Seattle)

(09-01-2017, 03:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 03:12 PM)JNev Wrote: Jets just traded for a WR... Just saying

And the rich get richer...... (Seattle)

Damn...

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I personally think it's a good trade for both sides. Seems like the kind of thing I would do if I were rebuilding the Jets in Madden. Richardson had no future there and a solid WR + a 2nd rd pick is really nice

(09-01-2017, 03:36 PM)JNev Wrote: I personally think it's a good trade for both sides. Seems like the kind of thing I would do if I were rebuilding the Jets in Madden. Richardson had no future there and a solid WR + a 2nd rd pick is really nice

I don't think Jermaine Kearse is a #1 or #2 WR. With the injury to Enunwa, the Jets really need a go to receiver and Kearse is not that guy. I don't even know if he's a starter, even on the Jets.

(09-01-2017, 03:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 03:36 PM)JNev Wrote: I personally think it's a good trade for both sides. Seems like the kind of thing I would do if I were rebuilding the Jets in Madden. Richardson had no future there and a solid WR + a 2nd rd pick is really nice

I don't think Jermaine Kearse is a #1 or #2 WR. With the injury to Enunwa, the Jets really need a go to receiver and Kearse is not that guy. I don't even know if he's a starter, even on the Jets.

Are you aware of the WR depth chart on the Jets? I think every one of our WRs would be #1 or #2 on their team. They're not trading for Kearse to not play him

Yeah. Kearse is no Enunwa, but he instantly becomes the second best (healthy) receiver the Jets roster.

(09-01-2017, 03:47 PM)JNev Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 03:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't think Jermaine Kearse is a #1 or #2 WR. With the injury to Enunwa, the Jets really need a go to receiver and Kearse is not that guy. I don't even know if he's a starter, even on the Jets.

Are you aware of the WR depth chart on the Jets? I think every one of our WRs would be #1 or #2 on their team. They're not trading for Kearse to not play him

I believe ARob, Hurns, Lee or possibly even Westbrook would be a #1 on their team, but I don't think Kearse is anywhere near the level of our receivers. I still believe Robby Anderson, Ardarius Stewart and either Chad Hansen or Charone Peak are better options that are already on the Jets. I'd put Kearse pretty far down the depth chart. I'm just not a Kearse fan. Whether they choose to start him or not is their business. I just don't think he'll be very productive. I think they could've traded for much better receivers.