Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Article: How to Win Without a Quarterback

The thing is we would be the same record even with a superior qb. Our two losses was where our D couldn't stop the run and got dominated and one where holding penalties and poor hands from Lee cost us the game. At best we would be 4-1

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-14-2017, 04:43 AM)lastonealive Wrote: The thing is we would be the same record even with a superior qb. Our two losses was where our D couldn't stop the run and got dominated and one where holding penalties and poor hands from Lee cost us the game. At best we would be 4-1
I think it's impossible to accurately measure the impact a superior QB would have because a good QB on this team would completely change the dynamic in so many areas. More open playbook, less 8 men boxes, more team confidence in QB. 

It would have a huge effect.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2017, 06:50 AM by The Real Marty.)

(10-14-2017, 04:43 AM)lastonealive Wrote: The thing is we would be the same record even with a superior qb. Our two losses was where our D couldn't stop the run and got dominated and one where holding penalties and poor hands from Lee cost us the game. At best we would be 4-1

With better quarterbacking, we wouldn't have had to stop the run against Tennessee.  We would have been ahead and they would have had to throw.   And with a better QB, against the Jets, Lee would not have had to hold onto that pass, because we would be far enough ahead to have been running the ball.

So you're wrong that our record would have been the same.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2017, 07:48 AM by atburg.)

(10-14-2017, 06:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

With better quarterbacking, we wouldn't have had to stop the run against Tennessee.  We would have been ahead and they would have had to throw.   And with a better QB, against the Jets, Lee would not have had to hold  onto that pass, because we would be far enough ahead  to have been running the ball.  

So a better qb would have shut that Jets running game down? Not a Blake fan, but save the agenda posts.

(10-14-2017, 12:51 AM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 12:47 AM)atburg Wrote: Go enough?

Judging from your intelligent posts, you could probably show him a thing or two about holding onto the balls. Sorry, meant to say ball. 

For good measure-  Laughing

Then you'd be out of a job. You been cupping those things for dear life.  Wink

And what's worst is he sucks, so why ride his jock so hard?

Could only imagine how you felt about Blaine Gabbert...

It wouldn't break my heart to see him watching from the sideline every week, not a fan. However he is the only option on the roster, and the roster is alone in first.

Blake had like 6 drives to get something done before the Lee drop. A superior QB easily wins that game before someone else had the chance to lose it.

It was not just Lee dropping two passes. He also made an inexcusable punt return mistake, picking up the ball when it was bouncing back to the end zone. Both mistakes occurred in overtime, so the more logical guy to blame is Jason Myers for missing a FG attempt.

(10-14-2017, 05:17 AM)JackCity Wrote:
I think it's impossible to accurately measure the impact a superior QB would have because a good QB on this team would completely change the dynamic in so many areas. More open playbook, less 8 men boxes, more team confidence in QB. 

It would have a huge effect.

I actually agree with JackCity. Mariota willed that game in the second half because he an average or above QB. Plus he was going against our killer Defense. Good QBs find a way to get it done against good teams consistently - not once in 4 years.

(10-14-2017, 07:43 AM)atburg Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 06:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: With better quarterbacking, we wouldn't have had to stop the run against Tennessee.  We would have been ahead and they would have had to throw.   And with a better QB, against the Jets, Lee would not have had to hold  onto that pass, because we would be far enough ahead  to have been running the ball.  

So a better qb would have shut that Jets running game down? Not a Blake fan, but save the agenda posts.

(10-14-2017, 12:51 AM)Jaguarrior Wrote: Then you'd be out of a job. You been cupping those things for dear life.  Wink

And what's worst is he sucks, so why ride his jock so hard?

Could only imagine how you felt about Blaine Gabbert...

It wouldn't break my heart to see him watching from the sideline every week, not a fan. However he is the only option on the roster, and the roster is alone in first.

He's not the only option we have. He's the only option they want. If they wanted they could bring someone else in. (hope it's ok to end a sentence with a preposition)  Wink

As a matter of fact, they've had numerous chances this entire offseason in Free Agency and the Draft and did nothing for the QB position.

Now they're looking to trade this guy or waste a year with a good team for next years draft.

Sorry, they deserve the scrutiny of their choice, and fans have a right to call out Bortles play going into his 4th year. Just watch how the kid this Sunday has played going into his 2nd.

(10-12-2017, 08:13 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 11:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

I watched every game multiple times, sparky. I made notes on Blake's garbage time production. It was discussed here ad nauseum. Clearly you missed that. 

The exact grand total of everything Blake did when a game was out of reach in 2015 was 397 passing yards and 5 touchdowns. 
That means he threw for 4031 yards and 30 TDs in games that were either won, or were close late in the game. 

You need to know the difference between garbage time and playing from behind. The numbers don't tell the whole story on Blake's poor performance in many of those games and there's tons to critique, but your garbage time claims are just making you look stupid.

Obviously no one agrees on what the right definition of garbage time is, but I feel like yours is consistently among the most strict. For example, I am pretty sure it's been brought up before and you don't count Bortles 90 yard TD pass to Arob when down 13-31 late in the 3rd quarter against the Saints garbage time...which I think is kind of crazy. If I am misremembering and you do count that as garbage time then I apologize.

I only included third quarter action from two games in that compilation. The saints and pats games. 
Pretty sure the TD you cite was in my sum.
 If not, it doesn't alter the outcome significantly.  Important to note: when I did that re-cap it was for the purpose of adjusting projected fantasy numbers for Bortles in 2016, so I was not attempting to paint Bortles in any light one way or the other. I was trying to project whether or not his production would reduce significantly if the team were to be more competitive and have less garbage time situations in 2016. 

And, yes, it's true that there is no classic definition of garbage time. I simply looked at each game individually and it was pretty easy to know (obvious)  which games were still competitive late in the third or early in the fourth.

(10-14-2017, 04:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 08:13 PM)Upper Wrote: Obviously no one agrees on what the right definition of garbage time is, but I feel like yours is consistently among the most strict. For example, I am pretty sure it's been brought up before and you don't count Bortles 90 yard TD pass to Arob when down 13-31 late in the 3rd quarter against the Saints garbage time...which I think is kind of crazy. If I am misremembering and you do count that as garbage time then I apologize.

I only included third quarter action from two games in that compilation. The saints and pats games. 
 If not, it doesn't alter the outcome significantly.  Important to note: when I did that re-cap it was for the purpose of adjusting projected fantasy numbers for Bortles in 2016, so I was not attempting to paint Bortles in any light one way or the other. I was trying to project whether or not his production would reduce significantly if the team were to be more competitive and have less garbage time situations in 2016. 

And, yes, it's true that there is no classic definition of garbage time. I simply looked at each game individually and it was pretty easy to know (obvious)  which games were still competitive late in the third or early in the fourth.

During your "analysis" did you notice he couldn't make a game winning drive down the field in the close games?

Or for most of the games for that matter?

(10-14-2017, 05:05 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 04:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I only included third quarter action from two games in that compilation. The saints and pats games. 

During your "analysis" did you notice he couldn't make a game winning drive down the field in the close games?

To be fair, even if he did the defense would have found a way to blow it.

(10-14-2017, 05:05 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 04:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I only included third quarter action from two games in that compilation. The saints and pats games. 

I'm a little bit amazed that you still fail to understand my stance. 

Of course he was unable to go win most of those close games. He's a wildly inconsistent and inaccurate quarterback that makes bad decisions and locks on to one receiver frequently and throws the ball awkwardly off balance way too often. 

I'm not trying to tell you he's good. I'm merely showing you that this lazy "garbage time" narrative on his 2015 production is inaccurate.

So what some of you guys expect is perfect qb play not just better. I'm afraid all qbs have games where they are totally ineffective. Big Ben and Flacco both Superbowl winners did nothing against us. Brady even has ineffective games from time to time. Rivers regularly has poor games. As does Dalton. As does any qb. If you think we would be 5-0 without a prime manning or Brady you are clueless.

We would also be 3-2 most likely with someone like Hoyer as QB. Before you think I'm being ultra pro Blake. Blake isn't as bad as you think and (insert other teams qb) isn't as good as you think.

(10-14-2017, 03:36 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: He's not the only option we have. He's the only option they want. If they wanted they could bring someone else in. (I hope it's OK to end a sentence with a preposition.)

As a matter of fact, they've had numerous chances this entire offseason in Free Agency and the Draft and did nothing for the QB position.

Now they're looking to trade this guy or waste a year with a good team for next years draft.

Sorry, they deserve the scrutiny of their choice, and fans have a right to call out Bortles play going into his 4th year. Just watch how the kid this Sunday has played going into his 2nd.

Did you ever consider who was available, and how many other teams passed (pun not intended) on the same quarterbacks? Did you pay attention to all the talk about we're going to help Blake Bortles by turning him into a game manager in a run-first offense? It would be the same way with a "superior" QB because, frankly, no available QBs are very good either. Drafting a QB was not an option at all. We needed Leonard Fournette and Cam Robinson. After DeShone Kizer, there were no good QBs.

(10-14-2017, 05:38 PM)atburg Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 05:05 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: During your "analysis" did you notice he couldn't make a game winning drive down the field in the close games?

To be fair, even if he did the defense would have found a way to blow it.

Dirtbag move calling out the defense when they're the only reason we won the few games we did that season.   Angry

(10-14-2017, 05:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 05:05 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: During your "analysis" did you notice he couldn't make a game winning drive down the field in the close games?

I'm a little bit amazed that you still fail to understand my stance. 

Of course he was unable to go win most of those close games. He's a wildly inconsistent and inaccurate quarterback that makes bad decisions and locks on to one receiver frequently and throws the ball awkwardly off balance way too often. 

I'm not trying to tell you he's good. I'm merely showing you that this lazy "garbage time" narrative on his 2015 production is inaccurate.

Dude, I don't care about a general rule for garbage time. It's like fine art. You know it when you see it.

What I did see is the current QB stockpile a lot of yards and points that season when the game was out of reach. 

Was it every game? No, but when we were close none of the TD and yards played a part in getting us to a W. 

That should tell you something even if you didn't watch the games.

(10-14-2017, 06:30 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 03:36 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: He's not the only option we have. He's the only option they want. If they wanted they could bring someone else in. (I hope it's OK to end a sentence with a preposition.)

Did you ever consider who was available, and how many other teams passed (pun not intended) on the same quarterbacks? Did you pay attention to all the talk about we're going to help Blake Bortles by turning him into a game manager in a run-first offense? It would be the same way with a "superior" QB because, frankly, no available QBs are very good either. Drafting a QB was not an option at all. We needed Leonard Fournette and Cam Robinson. After DeShone Kizer, there were no good QBs.

I love Fournette. I really do, but I would still have taken Mahomes or Jackson in the first. Jackson already looks better than Bortles and a QB is a lot harder to find than and RB.

(10-14-2017, 06:11 PM)lastonealive Wrote: We would also be 3-2 most likely with someone like Hoyer as QB. Before you think I'm being ultra pro Blake. Blake isn't as bad as you think and (insert other teams qb) isn't as good as you think.

I know of a QB that led a team to a Superbowl and was a questionable call non-call away from winning it. 

He had an outstand Defense BTW and he's on the streets.

He also had better stats with a worse team than our current QB last year.

His mobility is second to none and yes, he can throw a spiral. 

Ghouls say he was beat out by Glain Babbert, even though he had a major surgery that offseason, he took the job back from Babbert during the season and his team wanted him to remain on the roster after he opted out. 

What every you do, don't say his name. Don't even think it. For legend tells... Ninja

(10-14-2017, 09:26 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 05:38 PM)atburg Wrote: To be fair, even if he did the defense would have found a way to blow it.

Dirtbag move calling out the defense when they're the only reason we won the few games we did that season.

Incorrect. The win against Tennessee last year was all about improvement on the offense while the defense kept doing its thing and everyone being motivated by the removal of Gus Bradley. In London, our defense slacked off after halftime after the offense built up a lead. It was definitely a offensive win with the defense doing just enough to hang on.