Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Remaining UFAs

(10-30-2017, 01:07 PM)Kane Wrote: Ain't no way we cut Hurns AND let AR and Lee go in free agency.

Westbrook might be good... but he ain't that good lol

Did anyone actually suggest that? 

That would be dumb. I feel certain that two of those three are back.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-30-2017, 01:07 PM)Kane Wrote: Ain't no way we cut Hurns AND let AR and Lee go in free agency.

I think Dede makes Lee not resign.

Hurns at 7M isnt going to break the cap but Arob franchise tag might.

I think it is very possible Lee/Arob walk and we go into next season with Hurns/Dede/Cole or Rookie.

(10-30-2017, 01:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Did anyone actually suggest that? 

I quickly scrolled through... saw some silly stuff about WR not being that important. Silly stuff about Hurns $.....

Personally I think the only Jags WR that won't be back would be Lee. Next years WR room is AR15 on an injury/prove it deal (I don't see them tagging a WR coming off ACL) followed by DeDe, Hurns, Cole and Wynn/new rookie

(10-30-2017, 01:25 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 01:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Did anyone actually suggest that? 

I quickly scrolled through... saw some silly stuff about WR not being that important. Silly stuff about Hurns $.....

Personally I think the only Jags WR that won't be back would be Lee. Next years WR room is AR15 on an injury/prove it deal (I don't see them tagging a WR coming off ACL) followed by DeDe, Hurns, Cole and Wynn/new rookie
Yeah - there's LOTS of speculation about the WR roster in 2018 and much of it is wild speculation. 

The way I see it:  
The way Westbrook, Lee and Hurns perform in the games remaining will likely make these decisions a bit more clear-cut for the Jags brass. 

There's a lot of football left in 2017 and these guys can affect their own destiny by performing well during the games in which they receive opportunities.  (The limited passing game in many games will limit their targets.)

Lee has certainly hurt himself by going through that 4 game stretch with the drops, though he's looked great in recent weeks. Westbrook has a similar skillset (if he can show that he can beat press coverage from the Z spot) and makes Lee appear at least somewhat expendable, but the situation still needs to play out on the football field. 

Now, if the teams envisions Westbrook playing from the slot next season (as most analysts speculated when he was drafted) then you have to lean toward Lee being retained IMO. 

A few potential outcomes that show how they may or may not move on from Lee or Hurns:

X                  Y (slot)                Z

Robinson      -     Hurns    -      Westbrook
Robinson      -   Westbrook  -       Lee

I personally like the latter, but both are good options IMO.

(10-30-2017, 01:25 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 01:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Did anyone actually suggest that? 

So do you really think AR15 will sign for anything less than 10M a year?

If we get him for that who are you cutting to make the room?  We currently sit at -1M for 2018.

Bortles is the biggest option at 19M but who do we get to QB for significantly less to make that cut worth it?
Malik would save 9M but do you really cut him?
Hurns saves 7M but you said he will stick too.
Ivory makes the most sense but is only a 4M savings.
Lewis club option saves 3.5M so maybe we move on
Rivera like Lewis option saves 1.5M so I could see us moving on.
Parnell saves 5M but for a serviceable RT that seems like a nice deal.

So do we go into next season with a ??? at QB
I think Lewis/Rivera/Ivory likely all gone but they may see Lewis as a 3.5M deal and then that leaves a huge hole at the TE position.

This also lets Omameh/Colvin/Lee all walk so we need to get new starters at LG/NB/WR.

I think the tightness of the cap if they keep Bortles and the results w/o AR15 right now might make him expendable.

(10-30-2017, 02:21 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 01:25 PM)Kane Wrote: I quickly scrolled through... saw some silly stuff about WR not being that important. Silly stuff about Hurns $.....

If we get him for that who are you cutting to make the room?  We currently sit at -1M for 2018.

Bortles is the biggest option at 19M but who do we get to QB for significantly less to make that cut worth it?

I think Lewis/Rivera/Ivory likely all gone but they may see Lewis as a 3.5M deal and then that leaves a huge hole at the TE position.

This also lets Omameh/Colvin/Lee all walk so we need to get new starters at LG/NB/WR.

I think the tightness of the cap if they keep Bortles and the results w/o AR15 right now might make him expendable.

The CAP situation will clear up a lot in the offseason once we start making cuts... so I'm not stressin the CAP.
Will AR15 take 10 mil or less? I don't know. But the team has the tag to fall back on. But I don't think any other team is going to race to over pay him more than we are willing coming off an ACL tear, imo.

The more Bortles plays better the more I'm thinking we go with a rookie QB (2nd or 3rd round) which will have minimal cap effect and we will go with a vet QB that isn't a bank breaker like Cousins will be, but more along the lines of Matt Moore/Josh McCown.

I agree Lewis & Ivory are gone. Shatley might be the missing piece if we have to let Omameh go.

(10-30-2017, 01:25 PM)Kane Wrote: I quickly scrolled through... saw some silly stuff about WR not being that important. Silly stuff about Hurns $.....

There are lots of ways for the Jags to work their cap with little restructures of player bonuses  -  plus the inevitable increase in cap.   Add in a rookie QB instead of high priced FA and I'm pretty confident the Jags can find a way to hold on to at least offer A-Rob a competitive deal to stay in Jax.  The injury also means he may be more willing to accept a deal that's less than top ten money annually. 

It will be interesting to keep an eye on - and the Jags will inevitably have to part ways with a talented player or two. I'm just not sold on the idea that they can't strike a deal with Robinson just yet.

(10-30-2017, 02:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 02:21 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: So do you really think AR15 will sign for anything less than 10M a year?

There are lots of ways for the Jags to work their cap with little restructures of player bonuses  -  plus the inevitable increase in cap.   Add in a rookie QB instead of high priced FA and I'm pretty confident the Jags can find a way to hold on to at least offer A-Rob a competitive deal to stay in Jax.  The injury also means he may be more willing to accept a deal that's less than top ten money annually. 

It will be interesting to keep an eye on - and the Jags will inevitably have to part ways with a talented player or two. I'm just not sold on the idea that they can't strike a deal with Robinson just yet.
I'm sure they could easily sign AR15 if they wanted to it just comes down to should they?

I might be dumb but I'd rather hold onto Hurns and re-sign Colvin than to cut Hurns and resign AR15/FA NB.

I'm hoping this team will rely on Fournette and PA passes making field stretchers more important than the throw it up 50/50 beast that is AR15. 

Dede/Cole can stretch the field and Hurns can be his normal in the slot self.

Bortles, I definitely cut and yes, there are a lot of free agent QB's as good as he is, that we could sign in the $12-14 million range that could be a short term transition QB into what I expect to be our first round pick, a rookie QB of the future. 

I see no reason to get rid of Malik Jackson or Allen Hurns. They may have a higher price tag, but the Defense is playing well as a unit and Hurns is arguably our most dependable WR. I don't wanna take a risk by cutting one of those guys and ruining team chemistry. 

Ivory is definitely gone. Now that we have a true franchise RB, there is no need to keep an expensive veteran RB on the books. I would look to replace him somewhere in the mid to later rounds of the draft. 

Lewis and Rivera are both expendable. I fully expect us to draft a TE somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round. Lewis is older than God and his hands have always been his weakness. Rivera has done nothing this season, so losing him would mean nothing. 

I am hesitant to get rid of Parnell. I was very critical of him last season, but he is playing better this year and we already have a major need at OG, so I don't wanna create an immediate need, if we can get away with utilizing what we have for another season.

Don't forget, we still have ~30 million in rollover cap that isn't accounted for in that 2018 cap space projection.