Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles is driving me nuts.

Fully healthy OL = Bortles playing well
WRs catching the ball on these deep trys = Bortles playing well
Run game goes for 100+ = Bortles playing well

Don't think there was ever a question that Blake plays well when everything else goes right.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-11-2017, 11:09 AM)Kane Wrote: Fully healthy OL = Bortles playing well

Don't think there was ever a question that Blake plays well when everything else goes right.

Absolutely. But he's done it multiple times this year when all those things weren't happening either.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

To be fair, his statlines for the year look tons better if the receivers stop dropping all those passes.  Lee, for instance, leads the league in drops.

I'm more impressed with the intangibles that didn't show up on the stat sheet from yesterday.  He was poised.  He made great decisions.  There was a ton of touch on his passes.

DeDe is also going to be a stud!

Bortles is most sacked QB in the NFL for 2 seasons = Bortles Sucks
WRs personally hand the ball to the turf or an opposing player at least once a game = Bortles Sucks
LB first contact with RB is simultaneous with Bortles handing the RB the ball = Bortles Sucks

Don't there's a QB in the league who could consistently overcome that kind of wrong.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The balls he threw yesterday were placed perfectly. In the past he'd throw a ball and a receiver had to make a tough catch (see ARob). But that's not true now. Keep it up, Blake.

(12-11-2017, 01:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Bortles is most sacked QB in the NFL for 2 seasons = Bortles Sucks
WRs personally hand the ball to the turf or an opposing player at least once a game = Bortles Sucks
LB first contact with RB is simultaneous with Bortles handing the RB the ball = Bortles Sucks

Don't there's a QB in the league who could consistently overcome that kind of wrong.

Are you saying Elite QBs don't make up for deficiencies in their team?

Like when Brady and Manning had "scrubs" at WR or RB?
Or when the OL play of Rodgers has been sub par almost his entire career in Green Bay?

Just wondering if these guys that are consistently winners and in the playoffs always have elite defenses and run games working well and OLs pass protecting well and WRs never dropping balls

(12-11-2017, 01:34 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 01:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bortles is most sacked QB in the NFL for 2 seasons = Bortles Sucks

Or when the OL play of Rodgers has been sub par almost his entire career in Green Bay?

Just wondering if these guys that are consistently winners and in the playoffs always have elite defenses and run games working well and OLs pass protecting well and WRs never dropping balls

Nope, I'm saying there's a level of terribleness that even the elite QBs can't overcome. If ALL of those things happened to Tom Brady or Rodgers (not even mentioning The Pus Bus) he wouldn't be Brady or ARod. Bortles isn't in their class and won't ever be. He's also not this terrible QB who had everything handed to him and blew it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-11-2017, 01:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bortles is most sacked QB in the NFL for 2 seasons = Bortles Sucks

Hey, let's cut him and bring in 37 year old Eli Manning.  Will make a lot of folks on this board happy.

Blake's also been through what - three offensive coordinators.

So we're going to compare him to three of the best QBs in the game?  Really?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM by JackCity.)

Ehh Green Bay has had really good olines until this year when everyone's left and injured.

Look I know some of you rah rah Bortles types didn't appreciate all of our criticism. Yesterday was the first time BB5 commanded any game. What he did with the score tied set a tone and he lead the team. Sorry you couldn't see the game planning where we were minimizing the QB position. I've admitted in multiple threads that I've been critical but the play and observation proved out on being critical. We got 3 games to go and I would love him to keep playing this way.

What is interesting is how the winds are shifting and you read Carr comments out of Oakland and they are tagging him with garbage time QB now. This is a rough league that doesn't develop QBs anymore.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-11-2017, 02:42 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Look I know some of you rah rah Bortles types didn't appreciate all of our criticism.  Yesterday was the first time BB5 commanded any game.  What he did with the score tied set a tone and he lead the team.  Sorry you couldn't see the game planning where we were minimizing the QB position.  I've admitted in multiple threads that I've been critical but the play and observation proved out on being critical.  We got 3 games to go and I would love him to keep playing this way.

What is interesting is how the winds are shifting and you read Carr comments out of Oakland and they are tagging him with garbage time QB now.  This is a rough league that doesn't develop QBs anymore.
Right on.

Blake has deserved all the criticism he has received over the years. He deserves a lot of praise for his play recently. The QB position is the most scrutinized and over analyzed position in all of sports.

Remember when Blake threw 5 picks in practice and none of us thought it was that the defense was just that damn good?

(12-11-2017, 01:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 01:34 PM)Kane Wrote: Are you saying Elite QBs don't make up for deficiencies in their team?

Nope, I'm saying there's a level of terribleness that even the elite QBs can't overcome. If ALL of those things happened to Tom Brady or Rodgers (not even mentioning The Pus Bus) he wouldn't be Brady or ARod. Bortles isn't in their class and won't ever be. He's also not this terrible QB who had everything handed to him and blew it.

I'll buy that theory. I've been one of Blake's biggest supporters and also one of his biggest critics. He has never been so bad that we should have been drafting QBs this year, he always showed that bit of spark that you would hope develop.

Earlier this year... it seemed not much had changed though. His accuracy was still off (not including WR drops). Some of his throws were just plain awful. And for much of the early part of the season the defense had to drag Blake to the finish.

I think Bortles has shown enough to be a quality starter in this league. But has he earned some Joe Flacco contract? Absolutely not. He should play out his option and if improvement continues you pay him. But I still think this team needs to draft a young QB as insurance.

The best QBs can win games when seemingly everything else is going wrong. Bortles has yet to show that part of being a franchise QB. When the pressure is on, he tends to crack. I jumped off the Bortles bandwagon around the Jets game. I just couldn't argue in his favor anymore. I'm glad he's playing better now. But what happens when or if we're down 2 scores with 8 minutes to go. Are we suddenly confident in Bortles ability to bring us back from that?

I'll patiently wait until I see more before hopping back on the Bortles bandwagon.
I never thought he was the worst QB in the league or anything that some on here post. I remember saying I liked him much better than some other current starters.
But if you can upgrade the position (in the offseason), I still think you take that opportunity regardless of how Blake has played VS Indy and Seattle the last 2 games.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017, 03:33 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Honestly tho, that was a big time game by him yesterday. We have never seen him in the situation before. Playoff like atmosphere, vaunted defense and mvp qb, home game and stadium packed, tension is high and he delivered. I mean cool as a cucumber. Never rattled and just made play after play. My goodness.

He is slowly making me consider not drafting a qb until round 3-4 as opposed to round 1-2

(12-11-2017, 03:29 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 01:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nope, I'm saying there's a level of terribleness that even the elite QBs can't overcome. If ALL of those things happened to Tom Brady or Rodgers (not even mentioning The Pus Bus) he wouldn't be Brady or ARod. Bortles isn't in their class and won't ever be. He's also not this terrible QB who had everything handed to him and blew it.

I'll buy that theory. I've been one of Blake's biggest supporters and also one of his biggest critics. He has never been so bad that we should have been drafting QBs this year, he always showed that bit of spark that you would hope develop.

Earlier this year... it seemed not much had changed though. His accuracy was still off (not including WR drops). Some of his throws were just plain awful. And for much of the early part of the season the defense had to drag Blake to the finish.

I think Bortles has shown enough to be a quality starter in this league. But has he earned some Joe Flacco contract? Absolutely not. He should play out his option and if improvement continues you pay him. But I still think this team needs to draft a young QB as insurance.

The best QBs can win games when seemingly everything else is going wrong. Bortles has yet to show that part of being a franchise QB. When the pressure is on, he tends to crack. I jumped off the Bortles bandwagon around the Jets game. I just couldn't argue in his favor anymore. I'm glad he's playing better now. But what happens when or if we're down 2 scores with 8 minutes to go. Are we suddenly confident in Bortles ability to bring us back from that?

I'll patiently wait until I see more before hopping back on the Bortles bandwagon.
I never thought he was the worst QB in the league or anything that some on here post. I remember saying I liked him much better than some other current starters.
But if you can upgrade the position (in the offseason), I still think you take that opportunity regardless of how Blake has played VS Indy and Seattle the last 2 games.

I’m a critic too but to be fair, many qbs can’t do that. Hell Russell couldn’t muster up any more than the4 and out. Very few guys are Brady and Rodgers. I have to remind myself of that. 

He is a Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan type if he keeps developing. A guy who can win with solid to great pieces around him. That’s what you want to find. Brady is just luck of the draw. Hopefully he keeps developing

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017, 03:39 PM by Kane.)

(12-11-2017, 01:40 PM)JagFox1 Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 01:34 PM)Kane Wrote: Are you saying Elite QBs don't make up for deficiencies in their team?

Hey, let's cut him and bring in 37 year old Eli Manning.  Will make a lot of folks on this board happy.

Nah, I never said that. I'm all about upgrading. Not anything that would be a lateral movement or temporary upgrade.

(12-11-2017, 02:24 PM)Rico Wrote:

So we're going to compare him to three of the best QBs in the game?  Really?

I'd compare him to ANY "franchise" QB. If that's what he is. Can he elevate the play of others around him. Can he make up for deficiencies in the team?
Franchise guys bring your TEAM to another level.
Brees does it.
Brady does it.
ARod, Manning....
Bortles is a starting QB in the league no doubt. But we should now raise the bar. We should WANT greatness.

(12-11-2017, 02:28 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 01:34 PM)Kane Wrote: Or when the OL play of Rodgers has been sub par almost his entire career in Green Bay?

Ehh Green Bay has had really good olines until this year when everyone's left and injured.
Ehhh no, their OL is always banged up and injured. My boss is a die hard GB fan... I hear about it all the time. Arod makes him money being a mobile QB that can throw on the run, he's made a career of it and it isn't on designed runs. Also GB (outside of like 1 or 2 seasons) has had pretty terrible defenses too.

---Look guys, I know everyone is super-excite now about Blake Bortles suddenly becoming this elite franchise QB now.... it's great that he has played well these past few weeks. I'm personally loving it. I really do not care whether someone liked Bortles, then didn't, or never did, or always did. Great, kudos to you, either which way. I'm glad our team is winning.

But I'm not gonna suddenly pretend like 40+ games of Bortles career didn't happen. I'm not gonna pretend like just 4 weeks ago the dude was still throwing balls that had me throwing up in my mouth.
If he continues this "uptick" in ability we're all seeing, he just may propel himself into a top ten QB in this league. And that's great for the Jaguars and the fan base.
Luckily for all of us, the front office won't be so knee jerky in their reactions to how this unfolds.
They'll assess and make the best decision.

Personally though, I hope they hedge their bets.

(12-11-2017, 03:29 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Honestly tho, that was a big time game by him yesterday. We have never seen him in the situation before. Playoff like atmosphere, vaunted defense and mvp qb, home game and stadium packed, tension is high and he delivered. I mean cool as a cucumber. Never rattled and just made play after play. My goodness.

He is slowly making me consider not drafting a qb until round 3-4 as opposed to round 1-2

(12-11-2017, 03:29 PM)Kane Wrote: I'll buy that theory. I've been one of Blake's biggest supporters and also one of his biggest critics. He has never been so bad that we should have been drafting QBs this year, he always showed that bit of spark that you would hope develop.

I’m a critic too but to be fair, many qbs can’t do that. Hell Russell couldn’t muster up any more than the4 and out. Very few guys are Brady and Rodgers. I have to remind myself of that. 

He is a Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan type if he keeps developing. A guy who can win with solid to great pieces around him. That’s what you want to find. Brady is just luck of the draw. Hopefully he keeps developing

Joe Flacco is exactly what I'm afraid of.
Just good enough.

But I suppose if it gets us A ring, I'll be pretty frickin happy for awhile lol

(12-11-2017, 03:37 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 01:40 PM)JagFox1 Wrote: Hey, let's cut him and bring in 37 year old Eli Manning.  Will make a lot of folks on this board happy.

Nah, I never said that. I'm all about upgrading. Not anything that would be a lateral movement or temporary upgrade.

(12-11-2017, 02:24 PM)Rico Wrote: So we're going to compare him to three of the best QBs in the game?  Really?

I'd compare him to ANY "franchise" QB. If that's what he is. Can he elevate the play of others around him. Can he make up for deficiencies in the team?
Franchise guys bring your TEAM to another level.
Brees does it.
Brady does it.
ARod, Manning....
Bortles is a starting QB in the league no doubt. But we should now raise the bar. We should WANT greatness.

(12-11-2017, 02:28 PM)JackCity Wrote: Ehh Green Bay has had really good olines until this year when everyone's left and injured.
Ehhh no, their OL is always banged up and injured. My boss is a die hard GB fan... I hear about it all the time. Arod makes him money being a mobile QB that can throw on the run, he's made a career of it and it isn't on designed runs. Also GB (outside of like 1 or 2 seasons) has had pretty terrible defenses too.
You said it's been subpar his whole career. When it's mostly been very good his whole career. For instance 2014/2015/2016 it was elite. 2013 not great. 2012 not great , 2011 elite, 2010 elite etc etc
Offensive line play has been one of the hallmarks of Mike McCarthy at Green bay.

(12-11-2017, 11:03 AM)Monty Wrote: Is Upper TMD?

Actually, I get the KYJaggy feel from him honestly.

Most everything he says sounds just like KYJaggy preaching the word of "Spider Charts" like they're gospel, or something. As well as just a bunch of recycled stuff that hes found from other people on twitter.

(12-12-2017, 02:01 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 11:03 AM)Monty Wrote: Is Upper TMD?

Actually, I get the KYJaggy feel from him honestly.

Most everything he says sounds just like KYJaggy preaching the word of "Spider Charts" like they're gospel, or something. As well as just a bunch of recycled stuff that hes found from other people on twitter.

It is KYJelly. I know from the jags reddit.