Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mason Rudolph

(04-16-2018, 06:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 06:17 AM)Achilles Wrote: To be fair, until this video came out, you wouldn't have any other way of predicting him being good on the white board with how quick he could remember the X's and Os and how sharp he came across. 

But good for you if you're right about the guy either way. 6'5 with strong numbers and on the surface what looks like a good mind for the game. 

The mental aspect of the position is very underrated.

To me, the mental aspect of the game is the single most important part of being a successful QB. You can get by on natural abilities for a little while, but if you don't grasp the mental nuances of the game and are able to understand the terminology and playbooks, you will eventually fail. Admittedly, I never saw Rudolph actually sit down and prove that he had a high football I.Q., but over the course of the past year and a half, I have read reports that he was a smart guy, who loved football and put in the work on and off the field to make himself a better player. I trusted what those reports said, but actually seeing the proof here, makes me even more confident that the kid is gonna be good pro QB and very coachable as well. I want this team to succeed so much and I believe we are really a QB away from being a football dynasty. Maybe it won't happen, but I'm praying we find a QB who can take us to the next level without having to have a near perfect defense.

I won't argue against the mental aspect being important, but I don't know about "single most important." Gabbert was incredibly smart posting a record-high mark on the Wonderlic with the ability to take in everything he was being told, but that never did translate to success on the field. 

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-16-2018, 08:44 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 08:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Proof?

Common sense. You think if they made lots of mistakes they'd still air it? Cmon.  

I don't think these are proof of how well QBs process the game mentally at all. That goes for my guy Baker as well.

I think the fact you think they're scripted is silly.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(04-16-2018, 10:01 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 08:44 AM)JackCity Wrote: Common sense. You think if they made lots of mistakes they'd still air it? Cmon.  

I don't think these are proof of how well QBs process the game mentally at all. That goes for my guy Baker as well.

I think the fact you think they're scripted is silly.
It's TV man. 

Let's say Rudolph does really badly when they film. What do you think happens?

(04-16-2018, 10:06 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 10:01 AM)Achilles Wrote: I think the fact you think they're scripted is silly.
It's TV man. 

Let's say Rudolph does really badly when they film. What do you think happens?

They don't air it.

'02

Regarding the Wonderlic, there's no correlation between their score and success or failure.

Common sense. You think if they made lots of mistakes they'd still air it? Cmon.  

Oh, good. I thought you had actual proof or something mildly convincing.

Sorry for not believing a short TV clip of a player copying a play on a white board is good evidence of his mental process as a QB.

(04-16-2018, 11:59 AM)JackCity Wrote: Sorry for not believing a short TV clip of a player copying a play on a white board is good evidence of his mental process as a QB.

Apology accepted

(04-16-2018, 07:34 AM)JackCity Wrote: You guys are aware that these are scripted right?

Lol

You guys are right. Was worried about how Rudolph processes and reads the game , now that I've seen him copy a basic white board play on TV I'm sold!

(04-16-2018, 11:44 PM)JackCity Wrote: You guys are right. Was worried about how Rudolph processes and reads the game , now that I've seen him copy a basic white board play on TV I'm sold!

Wow, that's all it took? You could've watched his games from this year and last and simply been impressed by that. Strange

I've actually seen QB's in the past who didn't write the exact same thing as "Mooch" wrote it up and although he didn't chastise them, he pointed out their error.

Lightbulb 

(04-17-2018, 04:16 AM)JNev Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 11:44 PM)JackCity Wrote: You guys are right. Was worried about how Rudolph processes and reads the game , now that I've seen him copy a basic white board play on TV I'm sold!

Wow, that's all it took? You could've watched his games from this year and last and simply been impressed by that. Strange.
Why would I watch the games? 
Highlight videos and a clip of him copying a play on a whiteboard are all I need.

(04-16-2018, 09:10 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 06:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: To me, the mental aspect of the game is the single most important part of being a successful QB. You can get by on natural abilities for a little while, but if you don't grasp the mental nuances of the game and are able to understand the terminology and playbooks, you will eventually fail. Admittedly, I never saw Rudolph actually sit down and prove that he had a high football I.Q., but over the course of the past year and a half, I have read reports that he was a smart guy, who loved football and put in the work on and off the field to make himself a better player. I trusted what those reports said, but actually seeing the proof here, makes me even more confident that the kid is gonna be good pro QB and very coachable as well. I want this team to succeed so much and I believe we are really a QB away from being a football dynasty. Maybe it won't happen, but I'm praying we find a QB who can take us to the next level without having to have a near perfect defense.

I won't argue against the mental aspect being important, but I don't know about "single most important." Gabbert was incredibly smart posting a record-high mark on the Wonderlic with the ability to take in everything he was being told, but that never did translate to success on the field. 

When we drafted Gabbert, I knew he was not gonna pan out. That kid desperately needed to stay in school and he opted to enter the draft early. He didn't have a big arm, but that wasn't the problem. It was a combination of not having a big arm mixed with the fact that he constantly committed the mortal sin of following his target with his eyes. He tipped off his passes right and left. It drove me crazy! Sometimes a QB can get away with this if he has a big arm to rifle the pass in, before the defender can break on the ball, but that wasn't who Gabbert was. He did not know how to look off a defender to save his life and when he made his throws, he didn't have the power behind them to beat the DB's. To me, that was a mental aspect of the position that he simply couldn't grasp. While I maintain that having a high football I.Q. is indeed the most important, you have to have basic athletic ability as well and when you have a major hole in your game as Gabbert did, you need something special to mask that flaw.

(04-17-2018, 05:22 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 04:16 AM)JNev Wrote: Wow, that's all it took? You could've watched his games from this year and last and simply been impressed by that. Strange.
Why would I watch the games? 
Highlight videos and a clip of him copying a play on a whiteboard are all I need.

Or maybe, just maybe, you could take everything that's out there, games, interviews, combine, etc....and then you make an educated guess based on the entire body of work?

Or you could just flail around for attention waving your tin foil hat.

Doesn't make much of a difference to me.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2018, 06:53 AM by JackCity.)

(04-17-2018, 06:48 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 05:22 AM)JackCity Wrote: Why would I watch the games? 

Or maybe, just maybe, you could take everything that's out there, games, interviews, combine, etc....and then you make an educated guess based on the entire body of work?

Highlights will show you everything you need to know. No need to base an evaluation on anything else.

(04-17-2018, 06:50 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 06:48 AM)Achilles Wrote: Or maybe, just maybe, you could take everything that's out there, games, interviews, combine, etc....and then you make an educated guess based on the entire body of work?

Highlights will show you everything you need to know. No need to base an evaluation on anything else.

Alright well you do you, obviously.

I'm going to stick with logic and take in everything available to us.

(04-17-2018, 07:12 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 06:50 AM)JackCity Wrote: Highlights will show you everything you need to know. No need to base an evaluation on anything else.

Alright well you do you, obviously.

What can a full game show you that a highlight clip CAN'T? 

I'll wait..

(04-17-2018, 08:34 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 07:12 AM)Achilles Wrote: Alright well you do you, obviously.

What can a full game show you that a highlight clip CAN'T? 

I'll wait..
The bad plays a player made....

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2018, 08:45 AM by JackCity.)

(04-17-2018, 08:36 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 08:34 AM)JackCity Wrote: What can a full game show you that a highlight clip CAN'T? 

I'll wait..
The bad plays a player made....

Interesting...