Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Allen Hurns

(01-28-2018, 07:24 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 06:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That would be for this year though. Signing Cousins would mean cap disaster in the near future. I don't wanna cut Hurns and I disagree vehemently about "easily replacing" Malik, Parnell and Dareus with rookies. We only have so many draft picks anyway and even if you do sign Cousins, we still need a TE and at least one starter at OG and a replacement for Poz. If you're talking about trying to replace Malik, Parnell and Dareus on top of that, you are creating too many needs. As it stands now our only real needs are QB, TE, interior O-Line and LB, assuming we re-sign Colvin. Cutting key players would set this team back, because we don't have enough draft picks to fill that many needs, even if we miraculously "struck gold" on all of our selections.

I’m sorry. I wrote that incorrectly. The players I was talking about cutting and replacing easily would be Hurns, Jones and Ivory. I would think if they go after Cousins then the first 3-4 draft picks would proly be to beef up the offense with TE, Oline and maybe another Wideout/running back. Maybe both. That’s assuming we even go after Cousins. I don’t see Colvin coming back because we aren’t gonna pay him 10-12 million and he is almost guaranteed to get that on the open market. 

I agree that Cousins would basically put us in cap hell in the next 2 years and we would be unable to retain key players like Ramsey, Yannick and Jack. I would rather we keep Blake and draft a qb but I’m not making the decisions. It is very possible this team deems it necessary to go after Cousins and if so they need to have some sort of future plan for our other players who will need to get paid.

I don't think Abry will be cut. 3 million in dead cap if we do Vs 0 in 2019 where we have an out.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-28-2018, 07:24 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 06:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That would be for this year though. Signing Cousins would mean cap disaster in the near future. I don't wanna cut Hurns and I disagree vehemently about "easily replacing" Malik, Parnell and Dareus with rookies. We only have so many draft picks anyway and even if you do sign Cousins, we still need a TE and at least one starter at OG and a replacement for Poz. If you're talking about trying to replace Malik, Parnell and Dareus on top of that, you are creating too many needs. As it stands now our only real needs are QB, TE, interior O-Line and LB, assuming we re-sign Colvin. Cutting key players would set this team back, because we don't have enough draft picks to fill that many needs, even if we miraculously "struck gold" on all of our selections.

I’m sorry. I wrote that incorrectly. The players I was talking about cutting and replacing easily would be Hurns, Jones and Ivory. I would think if they go after Cousins then the first 3-4 draft picks would proly be to beef up the offense with TE, Oline and maybe another Wideout/running back. Maybe both. That’s assuming we even go after Cousins. I don’t see Colvin coming back because we aren’t gonna pay him 10-12 million and he is almost guaranteed to get that on the open market. 

I agree that Cousins would basically put us in cap hell in the next 2 years and we would be unable to retain key players like Ramsey, Yannick and Jack. I would rather we keep Blake and draft a qb but I’m not making the decisions. It is very possible this team deems it necessary to go after Cousins and if so they need to have some sort of future plan for our other players who will need to get paid.

That makes more sense. 

Personally, I don't think we'll go after Cousins at all. I read an article this afternoon that said there is rumblings the Broncos are gonna make a major offer to Cousins once he hits the open market. They are also looking to free up money by trading Aqib Talib. He has a $12 million cap hit for the 2018 season.

(01-28-2018, 08:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 07:24 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I’m sorry. I wrote that incorrectly. The players I was talking about cutting and replacing easily would be Hurns, Jones and Ivory. I would think if they go after Cousins then the first 3-4 draft picks would proly be to beef up the offense with TE, Oline and maybe another Wideout/running back. Maybe both. That’s assuming we even go after Cousins. I don’t see Colvin coming back because we aren’t gonna pay him 10-12 million and he is almost guaranteed to get that on the open market. 

That makes more sense. 

Personally, I don't think we'll go after Cousins at all. I read an article this afternoon that said there is rumblings the Broncos are gonna make a major offer to Cousins once he hits the open market. They are also looking to free up money by trading Aqib Talib. He has a $12 million cap hit for the 2018 season.

This could be what happens but I would think if I’m Cousins and the money is the same I’m prolly coming to Jacksonville. We are an attractive spot. Calais proved that last year. 

I would like to see them stay with Blake and develop a guy to move to in 2019. That way we can maintain a dominant defense. But who knows. Definitely exciting either way

(01-28-2018, 06:26 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Sportstrac has us at 25 million in cap space before any cuts.

As it says "adjusted salary cap" that's predicting what the cap will be after the annual rise, which I said should be around 5 mil more than the rookie pool. So our 19 would be around 24...aka aligning pretty darn close.

(01-28-2018, 09:04 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 06:26 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Sportstrac has us at 25 million in cap space before any cuts.

As it says "adjusted salary cap" that's predicting what the cap will be after the annual rise, which I said should be around 5 mil more than the rookie pool. So our 19 would be around 24...aka aligning pretty darn close.

Lol yep that’s what you said. Hopefully the cap will be higher than expected as usual

(01-28-2018, 09:53 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 09:04 PM)Upper Wrote: As it says "adjusted salary cap" that's predicting what the cap will be after the annual rise, which I said should be around 5 mil more than the rookie pool. So our 19 would be around 24...aka aligning pretty darn close.

Lol yep that’s what you said. Hopefully the cap will be higher than expected as usual

How much are the Patriots in the hole this year? That's how much the increase will be "higher than expected."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-27-2018, 01:55 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 12:12 AM)Scarecrow Wrote: If they can upgrade his spot then sure otherwise would we need the cap space this offseason even if we managed to sign Cousins?  I need to brush up on our cap situation.

We have 17 million in effective cap space (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/). We have the most money in the entire league committed to 2018, and we have the 3rd most rollover cap. The cap should rise around 5 mil more than our rookie pool so we're probably looking at low 20s in cap space. Cutting Bortles and signing Cousins will cost 8-10 mil more and tagging Arob is 16 million.

That'll put us negative a few million. Cutting Ivory is probably the obvious cut that saves 3.5 million so that would put us right around 0, give or take a bit obviously. If we want to make any other moves to sign a TE or G or nickel to replace Colvin we would have to start looking into cutting Hurns (7M savings), Marcedes (3.5M), Abry Jones (3.5M), etc.

Something to keep in mind here:
1) The next Bargaining Agreement, the Cap is going to get it's most inflated boost ever as Streaming Deals and Sponsorships have soared through the roof. Combined with the aggressiveness of DeMaurice Smith, this is going to lead to some monster payouts.
2) Look at a list of NFL GM's and their staff. You'll realize most of them have Finance and/or Law backgrounds.These teams have more staff accountants and consultants, etc that crunch out these contracts. There is software/Programming designed to project Rosters for 15 years if you want. Spreadsheets and Gantt Charts, you name it. The data and resources devoted to Salary Cap and Contracts is fascinating albeit somewhat nerdy. My point is really that Cap is not something to be worried over. There are plenty of Dollars to go around and this team is very money savvy it seems, or at least we are going to find out over the next two or three off-seasons.

Hurns isn't going anywhere. If anything, they may re-negotiate his contract, but that's about it.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(02-02-2018, 10:02 PM)TheAll22 Wrote: Something to keep in mind here:
1) The next Bargaining Agreement, the Cap is going to get it's most inflated boost ever as Streaming Deals and Sponsorships have soared through the roof. Combined with the aggressiveness of DeMaurice Smith, this is going to lead to some monster payouts.

Man I dunno about this one it could easily go the other way. Cord cutters are costing the networks a metric ton. They aren't going to be able to pay nearly as much for the TV rights as they did this round. The streaming service money will add yes, but there is serious worry that it won't add as much as the cord cutters are taking away. It's the most intriguing sports storyline to track over the next half decade to me.

(02-02-2018, 10:10 PM)Dakota Wrote: Hurns isn't going anywhere. If anything, they may re-negotiate his contract, but that's about it.

He's played in 21 of 32 regular season games over the past 2 seasons.  He has $0 dead cap money in his deal as long as they make a decision on him by 3/16.  He's had multiple concussions during his career and I personally feel that a couple more might just put him into retirement.  He's scheduled to earn $7 million this year if nothing changes.  They may rework his deal, but I think with the young talent we have at WR coupled with his relatively high salary and injury history that it looks more like an easy cut to me.  I love Hurns and his UDFA story, but this just doesn't look like it makes a ton of business sense to continue rostering him, all things considered.