Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Signs Extension through 2020

(03-01-2018, 08:53 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol McCarron was god at Alabama which translates to being god in the NFL. MUST SIGN HIM!

Should bring in Trent Richardson with him

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-01-2018, 08:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 08:53 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol McCarron was god at Alabama which translates to being god in the NFL. MUST SIGN HIM!

Should bring in Trent Richardson with him

Please remember we're the Jacksonville Jaguars and NOT the Florida Gators. For every Trent Richardson there's a $26 million Derrick Harvey BUST.

One can also point out that Florida Gator fans threatened to cancel their season ticket on Wayne Weaver unless the Jaguars drafted Fred Taylor. It was also Florida Gator fans that led the stampede to get rid of Tom Coughlin in order to find a happy landing spot for Steve Spurrier, the old ball coach.

Fred played almost his entire career here dancing and weaving for extra yards in a HALF-EMPTY stadium, and Steve Spurrier and Tom Coughlin are great friends. Tom shows Steve his two Lombardi Trophies every time he comes over for dinner.

Also, here is the pick analysis of Kirk Cousins from back in 2012:

Pick Analysis: Cousins was a three-year starter, as well as a rare three-year captain, at Michigan State. He is a self-made guy, a tireless worker who has deficiencies that could hurt his pro potential. He is not a very strong deep thrower; while his velocity is adequate, his accuracy when throwing deep is questionable. Ultimately, Cousins is a guy who could get drafted based on his experience and intangibles, and will need to put on size and fine-tune certain throwing deficiencies to catch on at the next level. Based on the production and leadership at Michigan State, Cousins has late-round value to a team looking for someone to compete for a backup role.

(03-01-2018, 08:33 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 03:34 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: LOL. You want to pay two quarterbacks 10M+? There is not one team in the league with that. Last season there was only one team with two, the Dolphins, who signed 34 y/o vet Cutler 10M on a one year deal to try and salvage the season when Tannehill (20M) went down. This team really is in no position to be flinging money around. Look ahead to 2019 cap space as is. Jags are currently 31st in 2019 cap space. Cutting bait on Bortles and eating 10-16.5M frees up SOME money, but IMO he is here minimum two seasons. Now the Jags could attempt to keep Arob, Colvin, and go after a OG in FA.. but keep in mind that would mean come 2019 some good players will be cut as casualties. 2018 appears to be the best chance for this team to succeed with everyone intact + draft picks.

Dareus, Campbell, and Jackson will not play here on their 2019 numbers, that'll fix the cap when they age out, work new deals, or refuse to renegotiate and get cut. The Caldwell Plan keeps the cap healthy long term by paying front loaded contracts with little dead money after the second year, just like BB5's deal.
Like I said, 2018 is best chance with everyone. That's just a fact.

(03-01-2018, 09:50 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 08:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Should bring in Trent Richardson with him

Please remember we're the Jacksonville Jaguars and NOT the Florida Gators. For every Trent Richardson there's a $26 million Derrick Harvey BUST.

One can also point out that Florida Gator fans threatened to cancel their season ticket on Wayne Weaver unless the Jaguars drafted Fred Taylor. It was also Florida Gator fans that led the stampede to get rid of Tom Coughlin in order to find a happy landing spot for Steve Spurrier, the old ball coach.

Fred played almost his entire career here dancing and weaving for extra yards in a HALF-EMPTY stadium, and Steve Spurrier and Tom Coughlin are great friends. Tom shows Steve his two Lombardi Trophies every time he comes over for dinner.

Pick Analysis: Cousins was a three-year starter, as well as a rare three-year captain, at Michigan State. He is a self-made guy, a tireless worker who has deficiencies that could hurt his pro potential. He is not a very strong deep thrower; while his velocity is adequate, his accuracy when throwing deep is questionable. Ultimately, Cousins is a guy who could get drafted based on his experience and intangibles, and will need to put on size and fine-tune certain throwing deficiencies to catch on at the next level. Based on the production and leadership at Michigan State, Cousins has late-round value to a team looking for someone to compete for a backup role.

What planet are you from?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Overthecap.com has more details and explains the incentives...

Additional details.  Bortles has a $1,000,000 roster bonus due on the 5th day league year in 2019.  Contract also has $1,000,000 in per game roster bonus money ($62,500 per game active) in 2019 & 2020.  $3,000,000 in incentives for pro bowl, league MVP, SB MVP; up to $1,000,000 available per year.  2019 has up to $4,500,000 in available salary escalator; and 2020 has up to $5,000,000 in available salary escalator.

The first three $1 mil roster bonuses are not counted as incentives and are included in the $54 mil contract total.

The $54 mil breaks down as follows...
  • Base salaries of $5 mil, $14 mil and $17 mil in 2018, 2019 and 2020 respectively.
  • $15 mil signing bonus which counts $5 mil in each year against the cap.
  • $1 mil roster bonus due mid-March which we need to add to his dead money hit if released or traded after this date.
  • $2 mil total in active roster bonses over 2019 and 2020 wherein he earns $62,500 for every game he's active for.
The $12.5 mil worth of incentives breaks down as follows...
  • Up to $1 mil per year for reaching the Pro Bowl or for being named league or Super Bowl MVP. Total possible is $3 mil for doing as much every year. 
  • A $4.5 mil salary escalator in 2019
  • A $5 mil salary escalator in 2020
So now the burning question becomes what must he do to earn those salary escalators. Since you'd have to know if he's earned this before the season, they must be based on his stats from the prior year. So, I'm thinking if he reaches certain stats this year... maybe something like throwing for 30 TDs or making the Super Bowl... his base salary for 2019 will jump from $14 mil to $18.5 mil for a $25.5 mil cap hit. Then if he does enough in 2019 to earn the escalator, his salary in 2020 will jump from $17 mil to $22 mil for a $28 mil cap hit. Actually, if he earns the escalator, chances are he's also earning the $1 mil incentives so his cap hits would probably be $26.5 mil in 2019 and $29 mil in 2020.  
'02

(03-01-2018, 11:18 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Overthecap.com has more details and explains the incentives...

Additional details.  Bortles has a $1,000,000 roster bonus due on the 5th day league year in 2019.  Contract also has $1,000,000 in per game roster bonus money ($62,500 per game active) in 2019 & 2020.  $3,000,000 in incentives for pro bowl, league MVP, SB MVP; up to $1,000,000 available per year.  2019 has up to $4,500,000 in available salary escalator; and 2020 has up to $5,000,000 in available salary escalator.

The first three $1 mil roster bonuses are not counted as incentives and are included in the $54 mil contract total.

The $54 mil breaks down as follows...
  • Base salaries of $5 mil, $14 mil and $17 mil in 2018, 2019 and 2020 respectively.
  • $15 mil signing bonus which counts $5 mil in each year against the cap.
  • $1 mil roster bonus due mid-March which we need to add to his dead money hit if released or traded after this date.
  • $2 mil total in active roster bonses over 2019 and 2020 wherein he earns $62,500 for every game he's active for.
The $12.5 mil worth of incentives breaks down as follows...
  • Up to $1 mil per year for reaching the Pro Bowl or for being named league or Super Bowl MVP. Total possible is $3 mil for doing as much every year. 
  • A $4.5 mil salary escalator in 2019
  • A $5 mil salary escalator in 2020
So now the burning question becomes what must he do to earn those salary escalators. Since you'd have to know if he's earned this before the season, they must be based on his stats from the prior year. So, I'm thinking if he reaches certain stats this year... maybe something like throwing for 30 TDs or making the Super Bowl... his base salary for 2019 will jump from $14 mil to $18.5 mil for a $25.5 mil cap hit. Then if he does enough in 2019 to earn the escalator, his salary in 2020 will jump from $17 mil to $22 mil for a $28 mil cap hit. Actually, if he earns the escalator, chances are he's also earning the $1 mil incentives so his cap hits would probably be $26.5 mil in 2019 and $29 mil in 2020.  
Let's hope he hits them all.

(03-01-2018, 10:40 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 09:50 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Please remember we're the Jacksonville Jaguars and NOT the Florida Gators. For every Trent Richardson there's a $26 million Derrick Harvey BUST.

What planet are you from?

Clearly the Red one.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-01-2018, 09:50 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 08:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Should bring in Trent Richardson with him

This garbage only flies if you rely on people not having any sort of recollection of what actually transpired, and no care about actual facts.

Show one shred of proof that any Florida Gator fans threatened to cancel their season tickets if Taylor wasn't drafted.  That's a complete load of crap, but I'll wait for links backing up the claim.

Jaguar fans (not Gator fans) had become accustomed to the team winning.  Once the roster imploded because of salary cap issues, they turned on Coughlin...in 2002.  Spurrier was already a head coach in the NFL at that point, so once again, swing and a miss for the troll.

Pick analysis for Cousins, just like your personal spank material regarding AJ McCarron is completely irrelevant.  The bottom line with Cousins is that the team isn't going to get into a bidding war to sign a QB to a contract that will eclipse $30 million a year.  That's a sure way to put this team into a situation where they can't maintain the roster at a competitive level, which in your eyes, would be just dreamy.  For Jag fans, not so much.

Trollers gotta troll, right?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

At first I was floored with the news.
Then I realized how they were really shifting dollars to keep some guys around and Bortles still isn't guaranteed much after 2018.

I could see a 3rd or 4th round QB being selected, cheapest backup QB possible. Surely they won't intend on giving Henne another 4 mil per year to hold a clip board?

Good for Blake...
I was sure they would ride or die on the option. I was wrong there, but it's still team friendly enough and I can dig that.
For everyone who was hoping for Mayfield or Rudolph or something like that in the 1st... this deal shatters those dreams in my opinion.
But if Blake bombs like some people still hope or expect... well start looking at the 2019 1st round prospects lol

While I'm not a big fan of Henne, if they want to draft a QB in the mid rounds in April, they're going to need to have a veteran n the roster to serve as the primary backup. Any rookie will be nothing more than a developmental guy. We don't want to see Bortles injured, and having to rely on a rookie who is nowhere near ready to go.

Unless they can find a veteran backup who is considered an upgrade over Henne in the same price range, the team will more than likely bring him back. I know that's not a popular suggestion, but better to have a guy familiar with the system and the personnel than to overspend on a comparably skilled QB to back up Bortles. This notion that $4 million is some incredible amount of money is silly. For all of the hate spewed at Henne, what exactly has he done over the past 3 years to warrant it? The guy has taken a handful of snaps. He backs up a guy who would have to be seriously injured to come off the field. Bortles is as durable as it gets, so I'm not really worrying about Henne backing him up as long as he's physically capable enough to step in and hand the ball off occasionally.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(03-02-2018, 03:36 PM)FBT Wrote: This notion that $4 million is some incredible amount of money is silly. For all of the hate spewed at Henne, what exactly has he done over the past 3 years to warrant it?  The guy has taken a handful of snaps.  He backs up a guy who would have to be seriously injured to come off the field.  Bortles is as durable as it gets, so I'm not really worrying about Henne backing him up as long as he's physically capable enough to step in and hand the ball off occasionally.

What has Henne done in 3 years to warrant being paid... anything?
Hate? It isn't hate, at least not on my part.
I'm just not sure at this point Henne offers much more than some crumb bum 3rd round QB couldn't offer.

I mean.. we've seen QBs from mid rounds come in and start for teams... but ours won't be able to pinch hit in the unlikely event Bortles IS injured?

C'mon man...
Dak Prescott is set to make 400k or some crap this year... That 3.5 million difference could be key in signing any FA TE or OG... or resigning AC or AR15.

I don't hate Henne... have no reason to. But he wasn't good 4 years ago, and now he's 4 years older. Do we really need a "veteran presence" now that Bortles is in his 5th year?
Draft a developmental guy and if your back up is going in, your season is taking a ding no matter if it is Henne or a rookie.

Money matters.
His production (nil) doesn't warrant a contract. His veteran presence does nothing for Bortles at this point.
And "knowing the system" is a pretty tired line. And it doesn't help him complete balls beyond the LOS

(03-02-2018, 05:05 PM)Kane Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 03:36 PM)FBT Wrote: This notion that $4 million is some incredible amount of money is silly. For all of the hate spewed at Henne, what exactly has he done over the past 3 years to warrant it?  The guy has taken a handful of snaps.  He backs up a guy who would have to be seriously injured to come off the field.  Bortles is as durable as it gets, so I'm not really worrying about Henne backing him up as long as he's physically capable enough to step in and hand the ball off occasionally.

What has Henne done in 3 years to warrant being paid... anything?
Hate? It isn't hate, at least not on my part.
I'm just not sure at this point Henne offers much more than some crumb bum 3rd round QB couldn't offer.

I mean.. we've seen QBs from mid rounds come in and start for teams... but ours won't be able to pinch hit in the unlikely event Bortles IS injured?

C'mon man...
Dak Prescott is set to make 400k or some crap this year... That 3.5 million difference could be key in signing any FA TE or OG... or resigning AC or AR15.

I don't hate Henne... have no reason to. But he wasn't good 4 years ago, and now he's 4 years older. Do we really need a "veteran presence" now that Bortles is in his 5th year?
Draft a developmental guy and if your back up is going in, your season is taking a ding no matter if it is Henne or a rookie.

Money matters.
His production (nil) doesn't warrant a contract. His veteran presence does nothing for Bortles at this point.
And "knowing the system" is a pretty tired line. And it doesn't help him complete balls beyond the LOS

I agree.  The few times Henne got a chance to play he was flat out awful the last few years.  If there is a QB in any round (including the first) the Jags really like they should take them in this years draft.  Let him sit back and learn the game.  This would also act as an insurance plan in case Bortles implodes or gets injured.  If the season is up to Henne it is over with.

A 5th year player needs a veteran?  Bortles at this point is a veteran.  The average nfl career is around 5 years.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I think us taking a QB in the 4th is worst case scenario. I expect the Jags to be ready to potentially move up on a guy if one they like falls in the first 3 rounds. The Bortles deal was one of flexibility and safety for the team at the postion. If they don't get his potential successor on the roster this year, the flexibility they created is wasted in my view. Get a guy to push Bortles and potentially takeover and become the guy next year if need be or be tradebait in a few years if Bortles takes a big step this year. I don't think you find that guy in the 3rd or 4th round generally though.

(03-03-2018, 02:04 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I think us taking a QB in the 4th is worst case scenario.  I expect the Jags to be ready to potentially move up on a guy if one they like falls in the first 3 rounds.  The Bortles deal was one of flexibility and safety for the team at the postion.  If they don't get his potential successor on the roster this year, the flexibility they created is wasted in my view.  Get a guy to push Bortles and potentially takeover and become the guy next year if need be or be tradebait in a few years if Bortles takes a big step this year.  I don't think you find that guy in the 3rd or 4th round generally though.

We will be all right either way if they draft a quarterback in the fourth round
[Image: giphy.gif]

Could just sign a Fitzpatrick or Stanton or Matt Moore and be cheap while upgrading Henne. If we don't get a QB in round 1 then the rest of the guys are very meh and would rather use the pick on a Duke Dawson or Josey Jewell who could be part time starters.