Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Select Taven Bryant

(04-27-2018, 05:52 PM)Monty Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 04:29 PM)Upper Wrote: Not just that G and TE were our biggest needs, but that there were also prospects equivalent to Bryan at those positions available. As I've said all along, if Bryan (or anyone else) was all alone in his tier grade then sure you hold your nose and make the pick. But I don't believe, nor would anyone else before the pick was in, that he was head and shoulders BAP.

You’re privy to the Jags draft board?

You didn't know that?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2018, 06:40 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 06:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How do you know what their board looked like lol? Im thinking they drafted the player at the top of their board

Of course they did. We are giving our opinions on what they did. I think they didn't get it wrong, but also didn't get it right. There was a tier of guys rated highly left, and the Jags took one of them so that's good...but they didn't take one that was a need, and there were several guys available that fit both.
If they saw the same potential at a need position they would have drafted that player.

The fact they took Bryant over a player at a position of need should tell you that they see much more potential in Bryant.

(04-27-2018, 07:03 PM)atburg Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 03:59 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: LA times was 3.5 weeks ago and Mayock was the day before yesterday.  Both are well after the NFL Combine.  

Casserly was legit, but the point still remains that he wasn't generally considered a top prospect until after the Combine.  How many mocks did you have to sift through before finding one?  I found plenty that didn't have him in the top three rounds.

10 weeks and 3 days ago, the first February mock that pops up!! 31 to New England

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...osh-rosen/

Judging by the amount of first round grade he has over the past couple months, you are the one cherry picking through mock drafts to fit your narrative.

Here is their first mock after the combine (about 6 weeks ago). He is 26 to Atlanta.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...lor-trade/

Depth on the DL was definitely a need. We didn't lose the AFC Championship game because of a delay game, we lost the game because the DL was completely gassed. Brady had ALL DAY to throw the 3rd and 20 completion and the TD in the back of the end zone that won the game for NE.

(04-27-2018, 07:34 PM)Rooster Wrote: Depth on the DL was definitely a need.  We didn't lose the AFC Championship game because of a delay game, we lost the game because the DL was completely gassed.  Brady had ALL DAY to throw the 3rd and 20 completion and the TD in the back of the end zone that won the game for NE.

The best way to rest your defense is to keep the offense on the field. Bryan looks like a great player but I agree with those who say we should have filled a more immediate need.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018, 08:15 PM by Predator.)

(04-27-2018, 07:44 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 07:34 PM)Rooster Wrote: Depth on the DL was definitely a need.  We didn't lose the AFC Championship game because of a delay game, we lost the game because the DL was completely gassed.  Brady had ALL DAY to throw the 3rd and 20 completion and the TD in the back of the end zone that won the game for NE.

The best way to rest your defense is to keep the offense on the field. Bryan looks like a great player but I agree with those who say we should have filled a more immediate need.

I think the premise that a rookie will fill an immediate need is faulty.

Most rookies don't play at a high enough level to be an immediate fix, especially rookies that aren't drafted at the top of the 1st rd. Chances are they will still represent a weak spot on the roster until they have time to develop.

Drafting represents a long term investment. If you draft with the mindset of addressing immediate needs, you risk still not being able to adequately fulfill the current need while potentially missing out on bigger future returns somewhere else on the roster.

(04-27-2018, 08:14 PM)Predator Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 07:44 PM)Sibelius Wrote: The best way to rest your defense is to keep the offense on the field. Bryan looks like a great player but I agree with those who say we should have filled a more immediate need.

Most rookies don't play at a high enough level to be an immediate fix, especially rookies that aren't drafted at the top of the 1st rd. Chances are they will still represent a weak spot on the roster until they have time to develop.

Drafting represents a long term investment. If you draft with the mindset of addressing immediate needs, you risk still not being able to adequately fulfill the current need while potentially missing out on bigger future returns somewhere else on the roster.

Perfect post!

He reminds me of former Bengal and 49er Justin Smith

(04-27-2018, 08:14 PM)Predator Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 07:44 PM)Sibelius Wrote: The best way to rest your defense is to keep the offense on the field. Bryan looks like a great player but I agree with those who say we should have filled a more immediate need.

Nailed it.

(04-27-2018, 04:29 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 02:10 PM)buffbenj Wrote: Uhhh, y'all need to re-view the UGA-UF 2017 game. Taven got dominated. He was a non-factor, blocked mostly by RFr RG Ben Cleveland & /or True Fr RT Andrew Thomas.
I don't wanna hear how the gators gave up, nor how mcelwain had freakin death threats as excuses. Great players, esp 1st rounders, Show up every game, & make an impact regardless of the scoreboard. There were many better pix available at 29

Bruh. Name one prospect who’s dominated every game he’s played and I promise I can find a game in which he didn’t.

I’ll wait.

Clowney did at USC, when he wasn't injured.  He literally won games for them as a Fr & So.  His Jr year he definitely took his foot off the gas, once he saw the $ coming.

(04-28-2018, 12:07 PM)buffbenj Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 04:29 PM)knarnn Wrote: Bruh. Name one prospect who’s dominated every game he’s played and I promise I can find a game in which he didn’t.

I’ll wait.

Clowney did at USC, when he wasn't injured.  He literally won games for them as a Fr & So.  His Jr year he definitely took his foot off the gas, once he saw the $ coming.

Well if Taven isn't considered one of the best, most polished prospects in the past decade then why even bother drafting him?

I thought about one thing with the pick. Last season, what position group was undeniably without question the group we all least had concern about going into the season? WR. First play to Arob... torn ACL. Hurns missed games. Lee missed 2 games. At one point, the starting group of WRs was 4th RD rookie Westbrook, UDFA rookie Cole, and practice squad pickup Mickens. Depth is extremely important, and I think the coaching staff/FO used that a lesson to say no position group is not upgradeable at this point. Before the draft, the DL was undeniably without question the group I have least concerns about. I think they took what happen with WR depth last season into the equation and obviously the inevitable loss of high cost DL players after the season. Bryan will get snaps this season, and before we know it he may get way more than we thought due to unexpected injuries. I was disappointed with the pick, still kinda am, but when i thought about that... BAP made sense and if they had him high up... you got to grab him.

One video who analyzes a bit of Taven Bryan and Vita Vea, some good close ups on their technique, how they play at 1T, 3T and includes some stats at the end, percentiles at the combine and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPnoi45w0g&t=778s

Bryan's first step is insane. He has definitely work to do as while he has some great plays there are many others where he could definitely do better. But the potential is there and good thing is that he will have time to learn behind some of the best dlinemen in the game here.

https://streamable.com/mj9v4

Take a look at the push and snatch move....I have a feeling he's going to crush the league.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(05-02-2018, 08:49 AM)knarnn Wrote: https://streamable.com/mj9v4

Take a look at the push and snatch move....I have a feeling he's going to crush the league.

You forgot the NSFW warning on that. Whooooo man

i will make the prediction that Bryan will become a force to be reckoned with by mid-season. Maybe even sooner. He is the real deal and will make our defense even more unstopable this year. Bortles will break out this year and any team facing the Jaguars are in for a black and blue pound and grind football game compliments of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Bottles had his break out year during his 2nd year. He won't ever throw for that many yards and/or TDs again.

(06-21-2018, 11:41 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Bottles had his break out year during his 2nd year. He won't ever throw for that many yards and/or TDs again.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]