Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Scott Milanovich new play caller and Cody Kessler new starting QB

(11-28-2018, 12:39 PM)old_man Wrote: "The remainder of this season is about determining more accurately how much of the offensive ineptitude was from the OC, how much was from the QB"

That is hard to due,  when you remove two of the possible issues at the same time.

One way of determining how ineffective one factor of the equation truly was - is to replace them with another. 

It's not a stretch to say see we'd seen enough from Bortles to have a grasp on the situation. 
And it's not a stretch to see that Hackett had fallen from "sometimes good, sometimes ineffective" to "what the hell is this guy doing?" 

Replacing them gives coaches/FO a chance to see what else is possible with the remaining personnel minus two ineffective elements.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 12:58 PM by old_man.)

I was suggesting that when you replace both, you will not know if it was the OC or the QB.

You replace the QB only, success is there, it was the QB.

You replace the OC only, Success is there, it was the OC.

You replace both.....Success is there was it the QB or OC.....

Replace One, Replace the other if problems still exist dump both.

We went for option 3. We do not know if it was 1 or 2.

Maybe the OC can make it work with Kessler, but we will never know.

The fact is injuries had more to due with the losses than anything else.

I am slow today.

I just re read your post.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 01:17 PM by Nashville.Dave.)

(11-28-2018, 09:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: They're setting him up for failure and if he at all looks competent, that's bad news for the coaching staff. It means they essentially made the wrong choice after the Texans game.

Which is why bologna man fired Hackett as well.
Any success going forward can be spun either way. As well as a lack of success. Pretty obvious now

(11-28-2018, 12:56 PM)old_man Wrote: I was suggesting that when you replace both,  you will not know if it was the OC or the QB.

You replace the QB only,  success is there, it was the QB.

You replace the OC only,  Success is there, it was the OC.

You replace both.....Success is there was it the QB or OC.....

Replace One, Replace the other if problems still exist dump both.

We went for option 3.  We do not know if it was 1 or 2.

Maybe the OC can make it work with Kessler,  but we will never know.

The fact is injuries had more to due with the losses than anything else.

I am slow today.

I just re read your post.

Yep. It all makes sense now. Marrone has an excuse for whatever happens. The coachspeak will be flowing. He set himself up to keep his job. Very jeff fisher like
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(11-28-2018, 01:08 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Yep. It all makes sense now. Marrone has an excuse for whatever happens. The coachspeak will be flowing. He set himself up to keep his job. Very jeff fisher like

LOL

Dude. A half dozen teams that are struggling do this stuff every single season. Coaches want to keep their jobs. They'd be fools not to. 

Marrone has also heaped blame on his own shoulders at nearly every opportunity after losses this season. What the Jags are doing right now is pretty par for the course in the NFL given the consecutive losses. 

If something is broken, you have to try to fix it eventually - especially if it will save your job.

(11-28-2018, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 01:08 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Yep. It all makes sense now. Marrone has an excuse for whatever happens. The coachspeak will be flowing. He set himself up to keep his job. Very jeff fisher like

LOL

Dude. A half dozen teams that are struggling do this stuff every single season. Coaches want to keep their jobs. They'd be fools not to. 

Marrone has also heaped blame on his own shoulders at nearly every opportunity after losses this season. What the Jags are doing right now is pretty par for the course in the NFL given the consecutive losses. 

If something is broken, you have to try to fix it eventually - especially if it will save your job.

Yep. Once they lost to Buffalo you knew there would be some bodies thrown over the side. Standard practice.

Like firing the pitching coach in baseball.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(11-28-2018, 12:56 PM)old_man Wrote: I was suggesting that when you replace both,  you will not know if it was the OC or the QB.

I understand. I just think they have enough eval of both the OC and QB to move on from both without losing any opportunity to differentiate. 

i.e.  - they were both bad enough to warrant the moves independently

Sidebar: 

Something that sort of works in Kessler's favor being thrust into the starting role with all of the injuries is that he's worked extensively with Shatley and Chark already. He's ostensibly also had at least a week or two of practice reps with O'Shaughnessy and the other TEs at various points this year.  So there may be inklings of chemistry there for him.

From Milanovich's press availability:

https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...4245685249

liked scott’s interview. he seems excited

A few days away from finding out.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2018, 11:27 AM by p_rushing.)

(11-28-2018, 12:18 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Blake came from a spread offense in college where he was pretty good. Simlar to Watson and Mahomes.. They Brought him here and tried to make him a under center drop back QB similer to ben and TB. Watson and mahomes and others are doing well because The OC took what they did in college and adapted it to the NFL with the spread fast pace offense. I would like to see a OC come in here and see what we could do with Blake in that type of offense. If you remember the Pats game this year that was the closest we had run the Spread offense and we did well with it I cant for the life of me figure out how the idiots went back to 2 yards and a cloud of dust in the next game. I think ig we can get a good QB in the draft and get a new OC who knows how to run an offense we can be servicable with Blake or kessler next year but im afraid ppl are going to find out how really bad kessler is.

I agree with with the OC being a huge issue. The gameplans changed too much week to week. You see distinct swings where they are trying to adjust too much to the team they are playing instead of doing the things that they know work and making the other team stop it. If they would have just kept it balanced using the whole playbook each week it would have made the offense better. Add in QB runs and it would have been even better.

Now though with Blake not being able to complete any throws, you have to make the change even with the terrible coaching. I hope Blake is actually hurt (which he may be) and that is causing it, otherwise I have no clue how a NFL QB makes those throws.

Im really intrigued to see the results Sunday and your views on it.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend