Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles

Theyre getting Foles. The quote from Dave, Tom and Marrone: " we want a QB who really lnows the system and everyone else is kinda catching up to their knowledge"

Im assuming Flips offense/scheme/playbook is the same as it was in philly in 2017 and this would be Foles 3rd year in that offense, given the quote i think it is a clear endorsement of Foles.

This team doesnt need a worldbeater at qb, just a guy the opposing defense has to respect enough to not load the box against fournette. If he can convert 3rd down and limit turnovers this team is a SB contender. Our window is short lets get the QB who is proven, knows the offense and will be ready to win day 1.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-05-2019, 10:55 AM)Firesky Wrote: Theyre getting Foles. The quote from Dave, Tom and Marrone: " we want a QB who really lnows the system and everyone else is kinda catching up to their knowledge"

Im assuming Flips offense/scheme/playbook is the same as it was in philly in 2017 and this would be Foles 3rd year in that offense, given the quote i think it is a clear endorsement of Foles.

This team doesnt need a worldbeater at qb, just a guy the opposing defense has to respect enough to not load the box against fournette. If he can convert 3rd down and limit turnovers this team is a SB contender. Our window is short lets get the QB who is proven, knows the offense and will be ready to win day 1.

I hate it when people say this.

Good teams don't have a 'window'.  And that all starts with a franchise quarterback.  

Foles is not a franchise quarterback.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 11:21 AM by Talented Kalamari.)

(03-05-2019, 11:14 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 10:55 AM)Firesky Wrote: Theyre getting Foles. The quote from Dave, Tom and Marrone: " we want a QB who really lnows the system and everyone else is kinda catching up to their knowledge"

Good teams don't have a 'window'.  And that all starts with a franchise quarterback.  

Nahh.. We definitely have a window. When you can attribute your success to a generational defense.. theres a window involved ( See 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs, Legion of boom etc.) Our defense may not be that caliber but it's close. I 'm not in love with the Foles talk, but I'll drink the kool-aid if he can help us get back to he tournament. Lets go Nick Foles

Remember this guy...Mike Kaye? Here he is spouting TRUTH!

https://www.nj.com//eagles/2019/03/i-cov...-kaye.html
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(03-05-2019, 11:19 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 11:14 AM)Rico Wrote: I hate it when people say this.

Nahh.. We definitely have a window. When you can attribute your success to a generational defense.. theres a window involved ( See 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs, Legion of boom etc.) Our defense may not be that caliber but it's close. I 'm not in love with the Foles talk, but I'll drink the kool-aid if he can help us get back to he tournament. Lets go Nick Foles

Now we have a 'window'.  A franchise quarterback changes all of that.  That is not what we would be getting in Foles.

(03-05-2019, 11:19 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:

It may appear there is a window but the foundation was meant to bolster sustained success. A window would suggest all pieces are in place but one or two. I don't tend to believe there is a window because as I see it, each position could stand to be improved. As well as the defense has played, there is a ton of room for improvement. The offense as a whole lacks dominant talent at nearly every position. Get a franchise QB and the rest can eventually fall into place but it won't happen this year. FYI...that franchise QB is not named FOLES!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 03:11 PM by The Real Marty.)

(03-05-2019, 11:24 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 11:19 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Nahh.. We definitely have a window. When you can attribute your success to a generational defense.. theres a window involved ( See 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs, Legion of boom etc.) Our defense may not be that caliber but it's close. I 'm not in love with the Foles talk, but I'll drink the kool-aid if he can help us get back to he tournament. Lets go Nick Foles

Now we have a 'window'.  A franchise quarterback changes all of that.  That is not what we would be getting in Foles.

You don't know that we would be getting that with a draft pick, either.

A lot of you guys seem to be operating as if there is some sort of certainty that we would be getting a franchise QB in the draft, but experience shows, drafting a QB is a total crap shoot.   How many QBs drafted in the top 10 picks in the last 10 years have won a Super Bowl?   Have any?

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 03:24 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-05-2019, 03:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 11:24 AM)Rico Wrote: Now we have a 'window'.  A franchise quarterback changes all of that.  That is not what we would be getting in Foles.

A lot of you guys seem to be operating as if there is some sort of certainty that we would be getting a franchise QB in the draft, but experience shows, drafting a QB is a total crap shoot.   How many QBs drafted in the top 10 picks in the last 10 years have won a Super Bowl?   Have any?

Nobody is operating under any certainty.  Foles will be expensive and and is an average quarterback.  No matter how much we will pay him he will be more expensive than a rookie.  He's going to hurt the salary cap more than a rookie.  He is not a quick fix.

I'm not expecting a rookie to be a quick fix.  I'm hoping for him to develop.  Did I say that that there was a certainty that the rookie would be THE franchise quarterback?  No..nowhere did I say that.  I made a statement about some supposed window and that A franchise quarterback would change this supposed window.  I don't want to be forever searching for a franchise quarterback.  I'm looking to the future, not the present.  At best, Foles is a bandaid.

(03-05-2019, 11:14 AM)Rico Wrote:

Actually, this is not really true in the current salary cap era. Even with a "franchise quarterback", the real window is when they are on a rookie deal and before most people accept they are a franchise quarterback. There are only a handful of QB's who won a Super Bowl after they got a contract that got them within the Top 5 paid QB's in the league. They are normally on some sort of discount. Every team has a window.

(03-05-2019, 03:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 11:24 AM)Rico Wrote: Now we have a 'window'.  A franchise quarterback changes all of that.  That is not what we would be getting in Foles.

Most recently drafted Super Bowl winners: Wilson and Foles drafted in 2012. Flacco in 2008.
Most recently drafted Super Bowl starters: Goff in 2016. Newton and Kapernick in 2011. Ryan in 2008. 

To be fair, Brady has had a skews current era number of Super Bowl starters and winners, but who is to say they will not be another Brady at some point.

(03-05-2019, 03:39 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

Actually, this is not really true in the current salary cap era. Even with a "franchise quarterback", the real window is when they are on a rookie deal and before most people accept they are a franchise quarterback. There are only a handful of QB's who won a Super Bowl after they got a contract that got them within the Top 5 paid QB's in the league. They are normally on some sort of discount. Every team has a window.

Yeah?  So explain how the Patriots and Saints have been competitive and in the conversation of the super bowl for the entirety of the time they've had Tom Brady and Drew Brees.  Explain how the Colts made the playoffs almost every year Peyton played for them, or how the Broncos DID make the playoffs every year he played.  Explain why the Steelers have been right there every year Big Ben has played.  Or how the Pack are right there when Rodgers isn't hurt for half the year.

You're completely wrong.

(03-05-2019, 03:45 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 03:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: You don't know that we would be getting that with a draft pick, either.

Most recently drafted Super Bowl winners: Wilson and Foles drafted in 2012. Flacco in 2008.
Most recently drafted Super Bowl starters: Goff in 2016. Newton and Kapernick in 2011. Ryan in 2008. 

To be fair, Brady has had a skews current era number of Super Bowl starters and winners, but who is to say they will not be another Brady at some point.

The answer to the question I posed, "How many QBs drafted in the top 10 picks in the last 10 years have won a Super Bowl?" is zero.   Which is one less than the number of Super Bowls Nick Foles has won.

(03-05-2019, 03:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 03:45 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Most recently drafted Super Bowl winners: Wilson and Foles drafted in 2012. Flacco in 2008.

The answer to the question I posed, "How many QBs drafted in the top 10 picks in the last 10 years have won a Super Bowl?" is zero.   Which is one less than the number of Super Bowls Nick Foles has won.

That's an entirely pointless metric.  A better question would be "How many QBs drafted in the last ten years have led their teams to winning seasons, and how many?"  A winning season means a shot at the title.  Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.  You saw the Chicago kick--was that Trubisky's fault?  But your metric counts it as a slight against him.

(03-05-2019, 07:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 03:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Here's the records of FA QBs signing multi-year deals since 2000 and it isn't good. 1 year deals weren't included.

[Image: Capture.jpg]

I see two guys on that list who won Super Bowls with their new teams.  

Here are some recent first round picks at the QB position.  I guarantee you, for every one of those guys, someone was pounding the keys on his computer freaking out that his team might not draft the guy.  

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel

Nick Foles is a known quantity.   He is a Super Bowl MVP.   Granted, he needs a good cast of teammates around him, but doesn't every QB need that?  If we sign him, Nick Foles might be the best QB this team has ever had.  

For years, we've been clamoring for competent QB play.  This team is built to win now.  Get Foles, get some players around him, and we are contenders now.   Or, draft a rookie, hope he doesn't bust, wait a year or two for him to develop, and watch the roster grow old.  

Jared Goff was the #1 pick in the draft, and what did he do in the Super Bowl?  3 points.  One FG.  Foles won the Super Bowl and was the MVP.  Sign Foles, use our draft capital to build the offense around him, and win now.   That's the correct formula.

Yea, two of those QBs did win a super bowl with their new team... The problem is, they're both 1st ballot HoFers and two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game (two things Foles will never be). The only reason their teams moved on from them in the first place was because both of them had serious career threatening injuries. Brees' shoulder and Peyton's neck. Nobody knew if they'd ever play again.

Foles does not improve this team and he sure as hell doesn't make them contenders.

(03-05-2019, 03:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 03:45 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Most recently drafted Super Bowl winners: Wilson and Foles drafted in 2012. Flacco in 2008.

Lol this is such a dumb take.

Never draft a QB top 10 guys!

(03-05-2019, 04:36 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 07:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I see two guys on that list who won Super Bowls with their new teams.  

Here are some recent first round picks at the QB position.  I guarantee you, for every one of those guys, someone was pounding the keys on his computer freaking out that his team might not draft the guy.  

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel

Nick Foles is a known quantity.   He is a Super Bowl MVP.   Granted, he needs a good cast of teammates around him, but doesn't every QB need that?  If we sign him, Nick Foles might be the best QB this team has ever had.  

For years, we've been clamoring for competent QB play.  This team is built to win now.  Get Foles, get some players around him, and we are contenders now.   Or, draft a rookie, hope he doesn't bust, wait a year or two for him to develop, and watch the roster grow old.  

Jared Goff was the #1 pick in the draft, and what did he do in the Super Bowl?  3 points.  One FG.  Foles won the Super Bowl and was the MVP.  Sign Foles, use our draft capital to build the offense around him, and win now.   That's the correct formula.

Yea, two of those QBs did win a super bowl with their new team... The problem is, they're both 1st ballot HoFers and two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game (two things Foles will never be). The only reason their teams moved on from them in the first place was because both of them had serious career threatening injuries. Brees' shoulder and Peyton's neck. Nobody knew if they'd ever play again.

Foles does not improve this team and he sure as hell doesn't make them contenders.

This I'll completely disagree with.  Foles ABSOLUTELY improves this team.  The question is, how much better than Bortles is he, really?  The fact that he's only had success in Philly makes me hesitant.

(03-05-2019, 05:33 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 04:36 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yea, two of those QBs did win a super bowl with their new team... The problem is, they're both 1st ballot HoFers and two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game (two things Foles will never be). The only reason their teams moved on from them in the first place was because both of them had serious career threatening injuries. Brees' shoulder and Peyton's neck. Nobody knew if they'd ever play again.

This I'll completely disagree with.  Foles ABSOLUTELY improves this team.  The question is, how much better than Bortles is he, really?  The fact that he's only had success in Philly makes me hesitant.

How can you say he absolutely improves the team but dont know how much more than Blake.  As bad as almost everyone has stated they feel blake is, Foles should be like the second coming of Brady to this team
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(03-05-2019, 04:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 03:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The answer to the question I posed, "How many QBs drafted in the top 10 picks in the last 10 years have won a Super Bowl?" is zero.   Which is one less than the number of Super Bowls Nick Foles has won.
Lol this is such a dumb take.

Never draft a QB top 10 guys!

No, but you seem awfully sure that we can select a franchise quarterback in the draft, when team history and NFL history says it's a LOT harder than that.  And on top of that risk, you want to trade away loads of future high draft picks to do it.  You'd put all your chips on one number at the roulette wheel.  That's not smart.

(03-05-2019, 05:33 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 04:36 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yea, two of those QBs did win a super bowl with their new team... The problem is, they're both 1st ballot HoFers and two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game (two things Foles will never be). The only reason their teams moved on from them in the first place was because both of them had serious career threatening injuries. Brees' shoulder and Peyton's neck. Nobody knew if they'd ever play again.

Simply getting healthy will greatly improve this team. That was the biggest issue with last season.

Foles and Bortles offset each other imo. Foles throws a better ball, Bortles is more durable and is a better runner. He can keep plays alive that Foles wont be able to. Both are average QBs and both need a lot of help around them to succeed. We're still the 3rd team in the Division with either of them going into this coming season.

You have to go out and draft your QB when you have the chance. You can't just play QB roulette with average QBs. That gets you no where, but stuck at 8-8 and in QB purgatory.

(03-05-2019, 05:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 05:33 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: This I'll completely disagree with.  Foles ABSOLUTELY improves this team.  The question is, how much better than Bortles is he, really?  The fact that he's only had success in Philly makes me hesitant.

Simply getting healthy will greatly improve this team. That was the biggest issue with last season.

Foles and Bortles offset each other imo. Foles throws a better ball, Bortles is more durable and is a better runner. He can keep plays alive that Foles wont be able to. Both are average QBs and both need a lot of help around them to succeed. We're still the 3rd team in the Division with either of them going into this coming season.

You have to go out and draft your QB when you have the chance. You can't just play QB roulette with average QBs. That gets you no where, but stuck at 8-8 and in QB purgatory.
you get it....good day sir
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.