Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: 2019 starter? (merged)

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019, 07:40 PM by B2hibry.)

Yeah it’s harsh but just think... it’ll make for a great discussion when things get slow around here. Dear God, I hope it isn’t me!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-19-2019, 09:41 AM)B2hibry Wrote: So those who want to hop on this avatar bet speak up and say which you support....

1.) Blake will be on the starting 2019 roster through game #1. ( Loser must have grinning Blake avatar for entire season)

2.) Blake is released in the offseason and/or not on starting 2019 roster through game #1. ( Loser must have flaming titan avatar for entire seasonn)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/heC5whC...007794.jpg

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/9769ebe...ans-08.jpg
I'm in- Blake will be cut this off season

No way I continue my tickets before QB decision is settled (BB5 cut), they’ll send invoices in February. That said, they increase my tickets a buck per game after last years $35 per increase there is 0% chance. All this is said after 14 years of tickets and the last several in club.
<P align=center>Gentlemen, this is a football. It is simply blocking and tackling.
;
- Vince Lombardi </P><P align=center> 

(01-22-2019, 11:16 PM)Schmeggers Wrote: No way I continue my tickets before QB decision is settled (BB5 cut), they’ll send invoices in February.   That said, they increase my tickets a buck per game after last years $35 per increase there is 0% chance.  All this is said after 14 years of tickets and the last several in club.

Okay, thanks for sharing.

(01-18-2019, 10:26 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: It would make more sense to hang onto him if you plan to draft a qb who you aren't sure will be day 1 ready. If you're super confident on your draft pick, you cut him. I don't think Blake will be back if we go qb in round 1.

I wouldn't say that because there's not a single QB you can be "super confident" will be able to start week 1. 
'02

(01-19-2019, 04:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I don't have any confidence in knowing what will happen. If it were my decision BB5 is here just for the financial implications, both of cutting him early and the replacement cost, and we draft a guy.  I don't think we can afford a free agent who will make a difference in the coming season.

I totally agree, but I'm not making any avatar bet as to what will happen. Their front office is far too unpredictable.
'02

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Bortles was still on the roster opening day.

(01-23-2019, 12:35 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 04:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I don't have any confidence in knowing what will happen. If it were my decision BB5 is here just for the financial implications, both of cutting him early and the replacement cost, and we draft a guy.  I don't think we can afford a free agent who will make a difference in the coming season.

I totally agree, but I'm not making any avatar bet as to what will happen. Their front office is far too unpredictable.
Come on. The unpredictability is what makes it interesting. Put that analysis where your mouth is! LOL

(01-22-2019, 11:16 PM)Schmeggers Wrote: No way I continue my tickets before QB decision is settled (BB5 cut), they’ll send invoices in February.   That said, they increase my tickets a buck per game after last years $35 per increase there is 0% chance.  All this is said after 14 years of tickets and the last several in club.

Ahh, the ole "I won't renew threat", classic. Buuuuwwwwaaaaaa!!!! That is all, thanks.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I'm really worried to make that bet just for the flaming tack threat. That being said, Marrone's comments on DeFilippo sound a lot like he wants him to work with Blake. And he may actually be able to tailor an offense that plays to a QB's strengths instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole.

Put me in for Blake on the roster week 1.

(01-23-2019, 12:26 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I'm really worried to make that bet just for the flaming tack threat. That being said, Marrone's comments on DeFilippo sound a lot like he wants him to work with Blake. And he may actually be able to tailor an offense that plays to a QB's strengths instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole.

Marrones comments sounded like the opposite of that imo

(01-23-2019, 12:26 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I'm really worried to make that bet just for the flaming tack threat. That being said, Marrone's comments on DeFilippo sound a lot like he wants him to work with Blake. And he may actually be able to tailor an offense that plays to a QB's strengths instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole.

What specifically makes you think that?

(01-23-2019, 01:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

What specifically makes you think that?

Specifically saying he's been around veteran QBs who have grown to have success. (which very well could be alluding to a Foles move) I may be reading into the comments too much, and admittedly, I didn't listen to the interview. Just reading from transcribed snippets.

Aaaawwww yeah! We’ve got some takers. We’ll all be sweating at the brow until we find out the answer. Half of us will breathe a huge sigh of relief for not having to change to that hideous avatar. The other half will hiding in the shadows.

C’mon Jag02, its all in good fun. It’s just a picture. And you may not even have to change it. If you do, you won’t be the only one rockin’ It.

I'll say it again... FINANCIALLY... it makes zero sense to cut Bortles. You only save 4.5M. What backup would you be able to get for 4.5M that would be comparable to Bortles? Blake doesn't have the personality that clashes with the FO or players, it's not like keeping him around becomes some burden. We are in a very tough spot cap wise. Cutting Malik makes enough room just to sign players from the upcoming rookie class. Now, if they go for Foles + Haskins/another rookie, sure cut Bortles and save yourself 4.5M.I don't see that happening because they'll have to cut two/three high priced vets. Throw in the possibility of extensions for Yannick and Myles Jack, do we really want to risk letting one of them touch FA? They'll be gone. One of them needs to be extended this year, see how the season goes, and see if you want to use the franchise tag.

(01-23-2019, 03:57 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'll say it again... FINANCIALLY... it makes zero sense to cut Bortles. You only save 4.5M. What backup would you be able to get for 4.5M that would be comparable to Bortles? Blake doesn't have the personality that clashes with the FO or players, it's not like keeping him around becomes some burden. We are in a very tough spot cap wise. Cutting Malik makes enough room just to sign players from the upcoming rookie class. Now, if they go for Foles + Haskins/another rookie, sure cut Bortles and save yourself 4.5M.I don't see that happening because they'll have to cut two/three high priced vets. Throw in the possibility of extensions for Yannick and Myles Jack, do we really want to risk letting one of them touch FA? They'll be gone. One of them needs to be extended this year, see how the season goes, and see if you want to use the franchise tag.
Welp.

He's going to be gone so I don't know what to tell you lol

What is the tally now of people who have taken the bet?

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2019, 04:31 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(01-23-2019, 04:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 03:57 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'll say it again... FINANCIALLY... it makes zero sense to cut Bortles. You only save 4.5M. What backup would you be able to get for 4.5M that would be comparable to Bortles? Blake doesn't have the personality that clashes with the FO or players, it's not like keeping him around becomes some burden. We are in a very tough spot cap wise. Cutting Malik makes enough room just to sign players from the upcoming rookie class. Now, if they go for Foles + Haskins/another rookie, sure cut Bortles and save yourself 4.5M.I don't see that happening because they'll have to cut two/three high priced vets. Throw in the possibility of extensions for Yannick and Myles Jack, do we really want to risk letting one of them touch FA? They'll be gone. One of them needs to be extended this year, see how the season goes, and see if you want to use the franchise tag.
Welp.

Not saying is as a guy who likes Blake. It just doesn’t make any sense finicially period, and if they do cut him I sure hope to see Foles and a rookie.

So if you are GM, what backup is available for 4.5M better than Blake? Name one.

(01-23-2019, 04:25 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: What is the tally now of people who have taken the bet?

Looks like 5 of us now, and a few on the fence.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2019, 04:42 PM by JagsorDie.)

(01-23-2019, 04:28 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 04:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Welp.

Not saying is as a guy who likes Blake. It just doesn’t make any sense finicially period, and if they do cut him I sure hope to see Foles and a rookie.

So if you are GM, what backup is available for 4.5M better than Blake? Name one.

I agree that it doesn't make financial since. But I think in the cap situation we are going to find ourselves in this offseason, we are going to have to shave every dollar we can. 

I think that the if you exclude the financial situation, you have to look at what keeping him is going to do to our locker room and fanbase. I don't think keeping him around is going to send a good message around this young locker room. I don't think bortles has been a locker room cancer like some people believe, but I think that any one with half a mind about football knows that bortles is not going to be the person who leads this team to the next level. How could you tell a group of guys that we are not throwing in the towel on next season while keeping a 20 mil a year signal caller around for a financial purpose only. 

If you bring in a top guy in FA, You have to get rid of him. if he is NOT going to be the starter come week one, I think you have to get rid of him as well. That is just me. having a guy who is the back up making 20 mil a year no matter what the dead cap game comes out to is not a good look IMO.