Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: 2019 starter? (merged)

Foles gets a new deal in Philly, trade for Wentz.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-27-2018, 12:34 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 11:24 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: This year is so thin on qb in fa, who do you even go after?

Fitzmagic lol.

Foles, Bridgewater, or Tannehill.

I wanted Bridgewater in the draft, now there's no way. Foles maybe if there's any chance. Tannehill, meh. Might as well keep Bortles.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 01:04 PM by JagsorDie.)

(12-27-2018, 12:47 PM)Inziladun Wrote: I mean Bortle's Contract isn't that crazy. If a team isn't going anywhere near the salary cap next year, and the owner isn't having trouble making pay roll, I don't see it outside the realm of possibilities that Bortles gets traded.

The team is goin near the cap. I think that is the issue. If im not mistaken Jaylen, Myles, and Yannick are all coming to the end of their rookie deals. I think we will pick up their options but I Yannick will probably have the biggest impact especially if we sit let him have another big year before signing to a new deal. He is only making 1.7 mil if I'm not mistaken and the average at his position is upwards of 15mil at the top so that will be a huge cap shift. Jaylen will probably be a huge cap hit as well since he has managed 2 pro bowls and 1 all pro since coming into the league.

(12-27-2018, 12:57 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Foles gets a new deal in Philly, trade for Wentz.

That would probably be the absolute best case scenario but I highly doubt that will happen.

Keeping BB makes the most scense from a money stand point. Correct me if my numbers are wrong (they probably are)

Cut BB and we have a 16.5 mill against the cap sign a vet for 5-9 mill and a rookiee at 4mill = 29.5 mill tied up in cap for QB

Keep BB pay him 21mill sign vet back up 2-3 mill draft next year with better QB class = 24 mill tied up ub cap for QB

If we upgrade the line in this years draft and wr and te we make the playoffs yay. If blake fails we have our choice of 3-4 Franchise QBs next year.

(12-27-2018, 02:13 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Cut BB and we have a 16.5 mill against the cap sign a vet for 5-9 mill and a rookiee at 4mill = 29.5 mill tied up in cap for QB

BB's contract can be split in half with a June 1st designation, but look at the second column at https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/ (skip the rookie deals) to find the 5-9 mill range to get a sense of vet QBs salaries.

What's Mark Long's source? From Caldwell, Coughlin?

(12-27-2018, 10:19 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: What's Mark Long's source? From Caldwell, Coughlin?

i think his source is the same one jason lac onfore uses LOL

Hopefully Mark is right and they break the cycle of madness, repeating the same mistakes over and over and over...

All we need is a Flacco at QB, that's all Bortles needed to be... but he couldn't.

Maybe for a year, we do get Flacco, or another capable vet, and can be competitive until our next franchise QB is ready to roll.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

So Vito's chirp implies we are eating Blake's dead money, AND paying a new guy to come aboard, in a situation where they KNOW they are not a long-term fixture.

Everyone thinking that's going to be a marquee name is fooling themselves. We're gonna end up with TJ Yates, Matt Moore type of stopgaps.

stock up on the liquor now, it's gonna be a long season.

I know everyone hates the "my 3rd cousin knows a guy" guy which is why I don't do this often and only speak up when I hear something interesting. So anyways I just got back home from spending the week in Jacksonville for the holidays. And we have a family friend who is, let's say, close to the situation. As many people can guess I was told Blake is officially out. But as others around here have said including myself, I brought up the issue of it being cheaper to keep Blake while we get our rookie ready as opposed to cutting Blake and signing a vet replacement. And the interesting thing I was told, which is apparently different than what Mark Long knows, is that Plan A isnt to draft a QB and sign a veteran to be a seat warmer. Plan A is to go big after the top QB free agent. Wouldnt officially give me any names but it's obvious who that person is. And it sounds like he will be on the market. I was even given a price on what it will take to get him and sounds like we'd make room if the Jags are his top choice.

Now take all that with a grain of salt. And obviously things can change between now and when free agency begins or the draft or mini-camp, etc... But that is what I heard! Would be exciting if it happened.

(12-28-2018, 09:59 AM)rfc17 Wrote: I know everyone hates the "my 3rd cousin knows a guy" guy which is why I don't do this often and only speak up when I hear something interesting.  So anyways I just got back home from spending the week in Jacksonville for the holidays.  And we have a family friend who is, let's say, close to the situation.  As many people can guess I was told Blake is officially out.  But as others around here have said including myself, I brought up the issue of it being cheaper to keep Blake while we get our rookie ready as opposed to cutting Blake and signing a vet replacement.  And the interesting thing I was told, which is apparently different than what Mark Long knows, is that Plan A isnt to draft a QB and sign a veteran to be a seat warmer.  Plan A is to go big after the top QB free agent.  Wouldnt officially give me any names but it's obvious who that person is.  And it sounds like he will be on the market.  I was even given a price on what it will take to get him and sounds like we'd make room if the Jags are his top choice.  

Now take all that with a grain of salt.  And obviously things can change between now and when free agency begins or the draft or mini-camp, etc...  But that is what I heard!  Would be exciting if it happened.

I can't think of any FA QBs that are all that exciting as "the answer". Flacco would be the main candidate I guess, assuming he's available. He's on the downside though and maybe you get another 2 years out of him. Carr if he's cut? A step up from Bortles but still not what you'd hope for as a franchise QB. Bridgewater is the other guy to think about, I wanted him in the draft but he's obviously got injury issues and our line is still a big question mark.  

Signing a stop-gap, leaving Bortles as the backup and then draft a new guy in 2020 is sounding better and better.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-28-2018, 10:12 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 09:59 AM)rfc17 Wrote: I know everyone hates the "my 3rd cousin knows a guy" guy which is why I don't do this often and only speak up when I hear something interesting.  So anyways I just got back home from spending the week in Jacksonville for the holidays.  And we have a family friend who is, let's say, close to the situation.  As many people can guess I was told Blake is officially out.  But as others around here have said including myself, I brought up the issue of it being cheaper to keep Blake while we get our rookie ready as opposed to cutting Blake and signing a vet replacement.  And the interesting thing I was told, which is apparently different than what Mark Long knows, is that Plan A isnt to draft a QB and sign a veteran to be a seat warmer.  Plan A is to go big after the top QB free agent.  Wouldnt officially give me any names but it's obvious who that person is.  And it sounds like he will be on the market.  I was even given a price on what it will take to get him and sounds like we'd make room if the Jags are his top choice.  

Now take all that with a grain of salt.  And obviously things can change between now and when free agency begins or the draft or mini-camp, etc...  But that is what I heard!  Would be exciting if it happened.

I can't think of any FA QBs that are all that exciting as "the answer". Flacco would be the main candidate I guess, assuming he's available. He's on the downside though and maybe you get another 2 years out of him. Carr if he's cut? A step up from Bortles but still not what you'd hope for as a franchise QB. Bridgewater is the other guy to think about, I wanted him in the draft but he's obviously got injury issues and our line is still a big question mark.  

Signing a stop-gap, leaving Bortles as the backup and then draft a new guy in 2020 is sounding better and better.

The options may also include Tannehill and/or Winston, but neither of those is worth "going big" either.

I agree. The best option seems to be hanging onto Bortles for another year and drafting a QB from the much better pool in 2020. 
A new innovative OC might help too.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-28-2018, 10:12 AM)hb1148 Wrote:

Having Bortles on the roster in 2019 doesn't make any sense both from a practical point of view and from a team chemistry point of view its just odd. He'll be getting starter money to sit on the bench at age 26 having QBed the team for the last 5 years. Just move on, we aren't missing out on anything

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 10:51 AM by old_man.)

The only FA QBs will be Flacco (He is really on the downside of his career), Foles (I still think he resigns with Philly a new deal) and Teddy (The issue with him is how good is he).

That leaves Flacco and Foles.... I just do not see Foles coming to Jacksonville and signing Flacco will prove to be a failure, he will not even make a full season due to injury....

Also, I believe Caldwell and Coughlin will keep all that close to the vest, unlikely anyone knows the direction at this point.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

Could be Eli..... Never know
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

I'm assuming the top would be free agent is Foles. I got the impression it's almost a done deal he will be available. But again, things can change between now and free agency. If he carries the Eagles to another Super Bowl, I cant imagine they'd let him go.

(12-28-2018, 10:49 AM)old_man Wrote: The only FA QBs will be Flacco (He is really on the downside of his career), Foles (I still think he resigns with Philly a new deal)  and Teddy (The issue with him is how good is he).

That leaves Flacco and Foles....  I just do not see Foles coming to Jacksonville and signing Flacco will prove to be a failure, he will not even make a full season due to injury....

Also,  I believe Caldwell and Coughlin will keep all that close  to the vest,  unlikely anyone knows the direction at this point.

Trade for Chad Henne. He makes $6M/year.  He's had a year to learn from Mahomes.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 11:09 AM by SeldomRite.)

(12-28-2018, 10:31 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 10:12 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I can't think of any FA QBs that are all that exciting as "the answer". Flacco would be the main candidate I guess, assuming he's available. He's on the downside though and maybe you get another 2 years out of him. Carr if he's cut? A step up from Bortles but still not what you'd hope for as a franchise QB. Bridgewater is the other guy to think about, I wanted him in the draft but he's obviously got injury issues and our line is still a big question mark.  

Having Bortles on the roster in 2019 doesn't make any sense both from a practical point of view and from a team chemistry point of view its just odd. He'll be getting starter money to sit on the bench at age 26 having QBed the team for the last 5 years. Just move on, we aren't missing out on anything

Your problem is you're coming from the idea of thinking your opinion is fact. We have no idea about chemistry, but I didn't notice any team effort drop off when Bortles went in last week, and the reality of the situation is that the salary cap does exist. Personally I'd rather lock up some young defensive studs than to waste money on more bad QBs. Bortles isn't good, but if you can only get another bad vet then there's no reason not to just stay with Bortles.
The Jaguars have made the mistake of getting rid of guys for no reason in the past, if Coughlin is fine with him next year then so am I. If he has a different plan I'll trust him, but it's not ridiculous to imagine a good team and locker room guy like Bortles still being here next year.

I heard that it's Matt Stafford.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato