Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kyler Murray

(01-18-2019, 08:35 PM)knarnn Wrote: He’ll be just fine. It worked out for these guys. In fact Kyler is probably about the same height/weight as Doug is.

[Image: drew-brees-doug-flutie-chargers.png]
Doug is a legend in the CFL history books. No doubt about it. NFL? Not so much. His "glory days" were with Buffalo, best one in 99 when he was 37 y/o. I get the size comps, but if this is the comp for everything else... then I'ma have to go with a hard pass on Flutie 2.0 for first round. Personally I think he is way more gifted than Flutie, but damn his frame scares me off so much. Height doesn't bother me as much. I know the NFL is protecting QBs like crazy, but man...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-18-2019, 08:35 PM)knarnn Wrote: He’ll be just fine. It worked out for these guys. In fact Kyler is probably about the same height/weight as Doug is.

Flutie was not very good.  He was a great CFL quarterback and nothing more than an average NFL QB that banged around from, team to team.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I didn’t know Flutie was so short until seeing him being towered over by Drew Brees.

(01-18-2019, 08:38 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Today's NFL is different, the idea that a QB needs to be a huge physical specimen to survive is obsolete. QBs are now protected more than ever, in a league that now values player safety more than ever. They are taking less hits than ever before, even scrambling QBs rarely get hit. The only important thing is their talent to play the position. Murray clearly has that. I'd be delighted if we picked him at 7.

Clearly a guy doesn't have to be huge to be a good NFL QB, but guys like Mariota show that not having what it takes to survive a few hits will stop you from ever becoming great.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019, 03:23 PM by Jags.)

Wikipedia has him listed @ 5’10”. How will he see past the Offensive and defensive lineman that are 6’3”- 6’5”. He’s half a foot shorter than those guys. Drew Bree’s does it. But he also always lifts that head up as if he can’t see past anyone. He’s 2 inches shorter than Brees. The entire league has gotten tall over the years. You almost have to have a 6’2” or taller QB.

Ok, I forgot about Wilson. But still. I think he’s too short.

(01-19-2019, 03:21 PM)Jags Wrote: Wikipedia has him listed @ 5’10”.  How will he see past the Offensive and defensive lineman that are 6’3”- 6’5”.  He’s half a foot shorter than those guys.  Drew Bree’s does it.  But he also always lifts that head up as if he can’t see past anyone.  He’s 2 inches shorter than Brees. The entire league has gotten tall over the years.  You almost have to have a 6’2” or taller QB.

Ok, I forgot about Wilson.  But still.  I think he’s too short.
Baker, Brees and Wilson all do it.

It’s not the norm but it does and can happen with special talents. Murray could very well do it but he could also fall on his face. Just like every single prospect.

I’ll say this though: I’d rather have Murray than Lamar or Josh Allen.

(01-18-2019, 06:28 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I know pictures don't always do comparisons justice, but this is pretty telling about Murray's real size. Don't they list Haskins at 6'3 and around 230? He looks like hes got at least 6 inches and at least 50 pounds on Murray in this side by side picture.

Tua isn't the biggest guy in the world either and he still makes Murray look tiny.

[Image: 45CYYBDA75GXNEPKW2CQDUCVEU.png]

Murray is just a little taller than the Heisman statue

Flutie had 86 TDs and 68  Ints with a 76.3 QBR  

In comparison, Bortles already has 3,000 more yards passing and threw 103 TDs and 75 Ints with a QBR of 80.6

(01-18-2019, 06:28 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I know pictures don't always do comparisons justice, but this is pretty telling about Murray's real size. Don't they list Haskins at 6'3 and around 230? He looks like hes got at least 6 inches and at least 50 pounds on Murray in this side by side picture.

Tua isn't the biggest guy in the world either and he still makes Murray look tiny.

Man Murray's shoulders are so narrow it's a little sad looking next to those actual football players.

(01-21-2019, 10:58 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Murray is just a little taller than the Heisman statue

This picture really says it all. Murray looks to be about the size of Jaydon Mickens. It's a really big ask for someone that size to not just function as an elite level QB, but also to be able to take a normal number of NFL level hits over each season.

I doubt he's serious about playing if he's not a first round pick, and while I could see him being tempting as a late round flyer I don't think you'd even get him into camp as a third day selection. Which really makes him a 'take him off the board' kind of prospect.

He's a Smurf.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 04:06 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I want to compare Murray to Mike Vick but Vick was 6'0" and weighted 210 pounds.

Here is Vick in college -- 2nd on the right.  Definitely a lot better built for the NFL game.  that's also Drew Brees far left and Chad Pennington far right

[Image: heisman-finalists.jpg]

Still another 3 months of saying this dude can't play in the NFL because of a picture of him wearing a suit, I look forward to every minute of it. Maybe we should focus more on the videos of him, y'know, playing football really well?

There have been a lot of players that played really well at the college level that never panned out in the NFL.

(01-21-2019, 04:54 PM)Rico Wrote: There have been a lot of players that played really well at the college level that never panned out in the NFL.

Johnny Manziel for instance. Murray looks like an even smaller version of him, as far as body type.

I'm thinking we wait to the #3 pick to see if Haskins falls that far. If he's there at #3, by all means pull the trigger, but if he goes earlier, let him go and draft a non-QB at #7. Then trade up with one of our 3rds to the tail end of round one to get a QB with the 5th year option. One or two more might be gone, but there's sure to be someone there whether it's Murray, Grier, Jones or Lock.  Straight up I grade all four rather evenly so just get any one of them. Even in a worst case scenario where all four go, I'm sure Finley will still be there and he's just about as good too. 
'02

Short people got no reason to live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjStSqu_w4

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2019, 08:44 AM by JagJohn.)

(01-21-2019, 07:34 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm thinking we wait to the #3 pick to see if Haskins falls that far. If he's there at #3, by all means pull the trigger, but if he goes earlier, let him go and draft a non-QB at #7. Then trade up with one of our 3rds to the tail end of round one to get a QB with the 5th year option. One or two more might be gone, but there's sure to be someone there whether it's Murray, Grier, Jones or Lock.  Straight up I grade all four rather evenly so just get any one of them. Even in a worst case scenario where all four go, I'm sure Finley will still be there and he's just about as good too. 

If Haskins isn't possible (and they refuse to consider Murray, which is probably likely) then I'd much prefer them to trade back from 7 and pick up some extra picks, one of which could go on the QB later in the first. It doesn't appear there is much value for an offensive player at 7 tbh, and drafting a defensive player would cause a meltdown of sorts. Especially if they then gave away one of our 3rds to trade back into the first. If we can't get Haskins, and won't get Murray, then trade back and get more much-needed picks.

(01-21-2019, 04:54 PM)Rico Wrote: There have been a lot of players that played really well at the college level that never panned out in the NFL.

It's true, and I understand there are valid reasons for concern with Murray. But screw it, I'm willing to put it on record that I absolutely think he will be a special player in this league and could well be next on the long list of QBs the Jags regret not drafting.

(01-22-2019, 08:42 AM)JagJohn Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 07:34 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm thinking we wait to the #3 pick to see if Haskins falls that far. If he's there at #3, by all means pull the trigger, but if he goes earlier, let him go and draft a non-QB at #7. Then trade up with one of our 3rds to the tail end of round one to get a QB with the 5th year option. One or two more might be gone, but there's sure to be someone there whether it's Murray, Grier, Jones or Lock.  Straight up I grade all four rather evenly so just get any one of them. Even in a worst case scenario where all four go, I'm sure Finley will still be there and he's just about as good too. 

If Haskins isn't possible (and they refuse to consider Murray, which is probably likely) then I'd much prefer them to trade back from 7 and pick up some extra picks, one of which could go on the QB later in the first. It doesn't appear there is much value for an offensive player at 7 tbh, and drafting a defensive player would cause a meltdown of sorts. Especially if they then gave away one of our 3rds to trade back into the first. If we can't get Haskins, and won't get Murray, then trade back and get more much-needed picks.

It's true, and I understand there are valid reasons for concern with Murray. But screw it, I'm willing to put it on record that I absolutely think he will be a special player in this league and could well be next on the long list of QBs the Jags regret not drafting.

When a high school freshman is bigger than your starting NFL QB.... it's just not good.

(01-22-2019, 08:42 AM)JagJohn Wrote:

There were reports that as of right now, most teams don't view the No 5/6 prospect up to No 23-24 prospect that differently. If that is the case, it may be very difficult to trade back.

Also just drafting a QB by trading back into the 1st round because it is a QB is bad strategy of reaching and using draft capital just to take random shot. Unless they truly value one of those QB at that level.