Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Tom Coughlin: All Jags players should be at workouts

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2019, 05:34 PM by knarnn.)

Here’s the full quote:

Quote: "We're very close to 100 percent attendance, and quite frankly, our players should be here building the concept of team, working hard side by side, constructing our bond of togetherness, formulating our collective priorities and goals," Coughlin said. "Success in the NFL demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish and insensitive to the real values of team. The hard work that many try to avoid is the major building block for the development of an outstanding football team.

It's not about rights and privileges. It's about obligations and responsibility, and the question is: Can we count on you?"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26553...h-no-shows
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Seemed silly upon first hearing about it but now reading his entire quote it seems even more preposterous. The Jags and Coughlin arent forcing players to be here so their "rights" aren't being infringed upon. Coughlin thinks the individual players, and the team as a whole, are better off with full attendance. He is probably right. If him saying that makes players feel threatened, they probably need to be less sensitive. Or they need to open up a dictionary and read the definition of threat.

(04-18-2019, 03:06 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Damn this society is becoming soft. SMH.

So we condemn those who don't follow the rules when its convenient.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Wow, being a young man, I fear what society is going to become if what TC said is an issue with anyone. He is 100% correct, a response from the NFLPA or NFL is a sad, sad joke. It's sad from a comprehension standpoint (SHOULD) and from a basic understanding of sports and team building. He never said had to be there, should be there... Context, intent, comprehension... Am I going crazy here or what? lol, what a non-issue.

I have no issue with what he said. I agree with him. If I’m a competitor id be chomping at the bit to get back with my teammates and get to work. I understand it’s not practice but still. I do see where it can be misconstrued but, based off the quote, I didn’t see where he said they HAD to be there.

I know that it's voluntary and some exercise their right to not attend but all players know that their expected to attend regardless. Some players do the right thing and stay in shape but others come into camp out of shape. If you're depended on (a starter and or critical backup) you must show up in shape. It'll set the team / camp back until they catch up to speed.

Regardless, it's voluntary.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Seeing as we're Americans and not British.. SHOULD is not SHALL nor is it WOULD.

The British would say, "That's terrible, I should like a new flower arrangement" whereas we would say, "That's terrible, I would like a new flower arrangement"

Should in American usage has an ambiguity to it... it takes it from its proper definition of MUST and SHALL to... yea, it's in your best interest to do it, but no one is forcing you to.

(04-18-2019, 03:12 PM)knarnn Wrote: Response from NFLPA president:

Quote: Jaguars executive V.P. of football operations Tom Coughlin say that all players should be present for voluntary offseason workouts. The president of the NFL Players Association says that voluntary doesn’t mean what Coughlin apparently thinks it means.

“Our CBA definition of voluntary is the same as the actual definition of voluntary,” NFLPA president Eric Winston said in a statement issued to PFT,” and prohibits anyone from threatening players to participate in voluntary workouts. This is precisely the reason players negotiated strict work rules and bright lines when it comes to offseason activities. We know, from experience, that not all coaches and executives will adhere to them and we always pursue any violations to protect our rules.”

This implies that Coughlin’s bright-line violation will be pursued, through the proper channels. The question at this point isn’t whether a violation happened but what the appropriate sanction should be.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...voluntary/

Did I miss the part where he threatened players?

There was not a threat to players. There was a personal jab at those not here. Nothing wrong with that in any way, shape or form.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(04-18-2019, 05:27 PM)knarnn Wrote: Here’s the full quote:

Quote: "We're very close to 100 percent attendance, and quite frankly, our players should be here building the concept of team, working hard side by side, constructing our bond of togetherness, formulating our collective priorities and goals," Coughlin said. "Success in the NFL demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish and insensitive to the real values of team. The hard work that many try to avoid is the major building block for the development of an outstanding football team.

It's not about rights and privileges. It's about obligations and responsibility, and the question is: Can we count on you?"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26553...h-no-shows

I knew that some fans would blow this out of proportion along w/the media (1010XL) BUT this is only being blown up because it gives people something to harp on. If it's not TC's quote, it would've been Ramsey's absence of volunteer workouts since we no longer have Blake to kick around. There will always be something to cry about.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(04-19-2019, 08:23 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Seeing as we're Americans and not British.. SHOULD is not SHALL nor is it WOULD.

The British would say, "That's terrible, I should like a new flower arrangement" whereas we would say, "That's terrible, I would like a new flower arrangement"

Should in American usage has an ambiguity to it... it takes it from its proper definition of MUST and SHALL to... yea, it's in your best interest to do it, but no one is forcing you to.

You assume that football players can read sufficiently to understand nuance in the language?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-19-2019, 07:46 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Wow, being a young man, I fear what society is going to become if what TC said is an issue with anyone. He is 100% correct, a response from the NFLPA or NFL is a sad, sad joke. It's sad from a comprehension standpoint (SHOULD) and from a basic understanding of sports and team building. He never said had to be there, should be there... Context, intent, comprehension... Am I going crazy here or what? lol, what a non-issue.

It’s not sad. It’s a preemptive response. They’re actually doing him a favor by responding before he does do something stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[Image: giphy.gif]

Hey Coughlin didn't you extend Bortles and waste years of these young talented defensive players? You did? Oh well sit yo behind down and shut up.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 04:13 PM by rpr52121.)

TC's comments are completely out of line. A personal jab is not a statement made to media in a industry that is entirely media driven. On top of that, TC is their boss. He has a hand in determining which players are resigned and can press the coaches on playing time & team philosophy if he wants to.

The players negotiated that these are voluntary. TC is basically stating that by exercising your rights means he no longer trusts you to do your job.

This would be the same as your boss coming to you on during the week and saying that you should voluntary come to work on the weekend or cut short your parental leave in order to show your dedication to the company. Insinuating that you won't get a raise, promotion, etc. because of your decision.

Every one of us should be in the office the next two days. It would be nice to see 100% attendance to maximize teamwork to build our companies effectiveness. See all of you tomorrow at 7am.

Right?

When you play like Ramsey does and deliver like he does, you let him do him. Its working, if everyone played at his level, they too could pass.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

Maybe this entire franchise needs to take a collective lesson in how to keep their [BLEEP] mouth shut.

I can't help but feel this is directed at Coughlin's old [BLEEP].. and personally I think he's doing more harm to this team than he's doing good.

[Image: D4iQDslXoAAOEYx.jpg]

(04-19-2019, 06:56 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I can't help but feel this is directed at Coughlin's old [BLEEP].. and personally I think he's doing more harm to this team than he's doing good.

[Image: D4iQDslXoAAOEYx.jpg]

You've convinced me.  Let's let Jalen run the team.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.