Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yannick Ngakoue skipping mandatory mini camp

(06-11-2019, 12:48 PM)MightyRx Wrote: Show up for work.
Get hurt.
Lose millions.

Great business strategy.

Word.

Just never show up for work and you cant be injured and you will just continue to make millions for no reason. I never understood why players play and dont just sign a contract and go home forever.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

All this was fixed if Calais was sent packing. Funny how you don't take care of your in-house guys but pay the hired guns. Sends a great message. The FO is doing so well right now.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 02:59 PM by knarnn.)

(06-11-2019, 02:45 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: All this was fixed if Calais was sent packing. Funny how you don't take care of your in-house guys but pay the hired guns. Sends a great message. The FO is doing so well right now.

Is this really true?

Bortles
Hurns
Telvin
Lee
Wilson 
Arby 
Linder
Cann

Yannick will get his as well unless his contract demands are unreasonable and unrealistic. A fair market value to slot him in with the likes of Ford, Clark, and Flowers should be attainable.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(06-11-2019, 02:45 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: All this was fixed if Calais was sent packing. Funny how you don't take care of your in-house guys but pay the hired guns. Sends a great message. The FO is doing so well right now.

This team can't afford to send Campbell packing. Are you out of your mind? They already lack leadership enough as it is on defense. Most of these guys want to lead by running their mouths instead of by example more. After this season is over he'll more than likely be a cap casualty. Which was honestly expected going into 2020 when he was first brought in here. 

Yannick Ngakoue will undoubtedly get paid primo at some point this season. You'll get your wish here shortly when they let these "hired guns" go like Campbell, Dareus and Bouye next year to keep Ramsey, Ngakoue and maybe Jack. It was pretty obvious they were setting these resigning's up when they cut Jackson, Gipson and Church. Then they drafted guys like Bryan, Harrison and Allen to hopefully  off set those losses. 

We'll see what happens. Hopefully Foles works some magic this year and gets this city it's first Superbowl victory. If that happens, all of this talk about losing this guy or resigning this guy pretty much falls to the wayside. One Superbowl victory here would put most fans in a permanent state of bliss for the rest of their lives. I'll take ONE Superbowl win this year and be content with being mediocre again for another DECADE at this point
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I may be wrong about this but technically he can't get a "new contract", it has to be an "extension" of his current (rookie) contract.  Almost everyone agrees (fans, players, etc.) that he has out-played his current (rookie) contract.

I personally would fulfill the terms of any contract that I sign.  However, I realize that in professional sports and more specifically in the NFL that's really not the way that it works.  This current hold-out is pretty much "the norm" although it doesn't really give him much leverage.  All it does is create headlines in the sports media.

My guess is that it will go on until at least the start of training camp.  It's not "critical" to the team right now to get a deal done.  After all, it is just "pajama practice".  Once the pads go on it's a different story.

To say that this could have been avoided by releasing a proven pro-bowl veteran player that is better at the position as well as a mentor (Calais Campbell) is absolutely one of the most ignorant statements that I have seen on this board over the years.

Unlike many fans I have confidence that the front office already has a plan regarding how to manage the salary cap and how contracts are going to be structured including the dollar amount.  After all, these people (in the FO) are professionals that actually get paid to make these decisions.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

This team has made a lot of bad contract extensions and free agent signings, but Calais isn't one of them. If anything he has outplayed his deal and is a vital part of the team, we cannot afford to lose him right now. If anything, he's been a value.

(06-11-2019, 12:41 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: The owners, and the players, and the fans, all have more important things to worry about than if a piece of paper got "violated."
The contract explains what will be paid out as services are rendered over a course of years. If services are not rendered, the payouts change. There is no honor or dishonor here. This is not like a marriage. It's not even like a mortgage.

This is a contract that stipulates how much a player will be compensated for his services. No matter how much you may want to diminish that, it is a contract very much like any other. If Yannick doesn’t provide those services, he may be sued (admittedly unlikely). It has happened to other players. 

I think you, and others, may believe I take this more seriously than I do. I don’t think this makes Yannick a bad person, and I don’t care as much as some may believe. I just don’t understand the mindset players have where they believe that not showing up to work shouldn’t inspire a team to hand them more money.

(06-11-2019, 12:34 PM)jagshype Wrote: But he is fullfilling the contract by being fined. 
The fines are a part of the contract. Yan is doing what he can within the structure of the contract. Its the same as a team cutting a player and being "fined" by dead cap.

Being fined isn’t fulfilling the contract. That’s a result of not fulfilling it. They’re mandatory practices. The contract presumably requires the player to attend or else be fined. That’s like saying a player is fulfilling a contract the day after signing his contract because any consequence of that is stipulated in it.

It's not a difficult mindset to understand. If you were being grossly underpaid relative to your worth I'm sure your plan of action would be to remedy it asap. 

Now add in the short term + health hazards of an NFL players career (+ the actual spirit of contracts at play) and it's pretty easy to see sitting out is a good option (and it's expected by the team).

Laughing  You have lost your damn mind, son.

You all need to stop falling in love with players. It's a business. He can be replaced through the draft. Ie Patriots bill belichick. A contender will trade a 1st rounder for him. Only the qb, elite pass rusher, pass blocker are worth big contracts.

(06-12-2019, 07:52 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: You all need to stop falling in love with players. It's a business.  He can be replaced through the draft.  Ie Patriots bill belichick.  A contender will trade a 1st rounder for him.  Only the qb, elite pass rusher,  pass blocker are worth  big contracts.

So.....

(06-11-2019, 02:54 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 02:34 AM)Jags02 Wrote: A 5-year $80-mil contract would pretty much make him the top paid CB, however, Nuk Hopkins is making that much since signing years ago and Ramsey may claim he deserves more than Nuk... perhaps 5 years $90 mil or 6 years $100 mil.

Back in May, the Dolphins made Xavien Howard the highest paid CB in the NFL. His contract averages $15,050,000 a year, totals $75,250,000 and has $46 million guaranteed. That's what we are gonna have to top in order to keep Ramsey. 

As for Yannick Ngakoue, Khalil Mack is the highest paid edge rusher. His contract totals $141 million, averages $23.5 million per year and $90 million of that is guaranteed. He's not gonna top Mack. Demarcus Lawrence is the second highest with $105 million contract. It averages $21 million per year and has $65 million guaranteed. My guess is that he will be asking something equal to this contract. 

To lock up both Ngakoue and Ramsey, we are looking at needing somewhere in the ballpark of $30-36 million in cap space, depending on how the deals are structured. I have no idea where it's gonna come from considering what we just paid Foles. Not to mention that Jack is gonna probably want $9-10 million per year as well.

For Ramsey, I'm thinking something more on par with OBJ's new contract with the Browns. 
'02

(06-11-2019, 02:54 PM)knarnn Wrote:

Is this really true?

Bortles
Hurns
Telvin
Lee
Wilson 
Arby 
Linder
Cann

Yannick will get his as well unless his contract demands are unreasonable and unrealistic. A fair market value to slot him in with the likes of Ford, Clark, and Flowers should be attainable.

Indeed I can see Ngakoue getting a contract comparable to DeMarcus Russell and Frank Clark.  He might even top Foles with a contract comparable to Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald. $24 mil per year would make him the highest paid non-QB in the league.

Hopefully we can ink him to a Frank Clark contract at about $21 mil per. 
'02

Someone somewhere else made a great comment: "I'm just glad we finally have players who are good enough to hold out for a new contract."

(06-13-2019, 02:38 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 02:54 PM)knarnn Wrote: Is this really true?

Bortles
Hurns
Telvin
Lee
Wilson 
Arby 
Linder
Cann

Indeed I can see Ngakoue getting a contract comparable to DeMarcus Russell and Frank Clark.  He might even top Foles with a contract comparable to Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald. $24 mil per year would make him the highest paid non-QB in the league.

Hopefully we can ink him to a Frank Clark contract at about $21 mil per. 

Who is Demarcus Russell?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-13-2019, 01:09 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 07:52 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: You all need to stop falling in love with players. It's a business.  He can be replaced through the draft.  Ie Patriots bill belichick.  A contender will trade a 1st rounder for him.  Only the qb, elite pass rusher,  pass blocker are worth  big contracts.

So.....

It’ll come to him...eventually. Hopefully.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 08:59 AM by Caldrac.)

I think most fans here don't fall in love with players. Most of us have spent enough time just chasing after average people in our lives after falling in love with them. We all know it's a business. The idea that he CAN be replaced through the draft is a crapshoot at best. 

We thought it would be easy to replace the likes of Brackens with guys like Douglas, Hayward, Kampman, Harvey & so forth over the years and we're just now getting back to consistency off the edge because of guys like Campbell and Ngakoue. And then you reach for the highest shelf on the liquor cabinet and reference Bill [BLEEP] Belichick? 

Jesus... what are we going to do with you man? 

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We finally have good players deserving of second contracts....

Let's let them walk and hope to draft a similar level replacement!

I hope folks are aware that having a high number of defenders worthy of major contracts is a good thing.

The reality here is that Ngakoue and his agent are likely asking for a number well beyond what the Jags can pay while still keeping their finances in order for next year's anticipated new contracts. (Ramsey in particular)

They'll go back and forth until the team gives up a little more than they want to and Ngakoue takes a little less than he wants to. Probably gets resolved around the third week of July or sooner.

In the meantime, remind yourselves that this is a good problem to have.

Yannick shouldn't be asking for any less than the likes of Dlaw, Flowers , Clark etc etc

(06-13-2019, 10:27 AM)JackCity Wrote: Yannick shouldn't be asking for any less than the likes of Dlaw, Flowers , Clark etc etc

I think you can be certain his agent is asking for at least an average of those numbers and most likely a good bit  more in order to negotiate down.