Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, are we going for Super Bowl or bust?

You have to set and achieve lesser goals before you can realize your ultimate goal.

The season's goal is to make the playoffs. The post season goal is to win the SB.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-19-2019, 09:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 08:34 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Guys it’s a 1/32 chance of winning a SB, those are incredibly unfavorable odds.

What we should be aiming for is being a 9-7 - 12-4 team every year, that’s the true goal. Then our odds become 1/4 which are much more favorable

Your goal should always be to win the SB

I totally agree. Being content with making the Playoffs makes you the Bengals or Texans. You gotta win, and to do that takes planning to make it deeper into the Playoffs and all the way in. We knew Blake wasn't going to get the job done, so the Jaguars got a guy who's been there and done it before.

(06-19-2019, 10:29 AM)Kane Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 04:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: SB or bust?  I seriously doubt anyone is looking at it that way.

I dunno...

as a fan I kind of am.
As you said, we gave big money to a free agent QB. We have had a top tier D the past 2 seasons. And we have current players that COULD be leaving us if we don't have the means (or want) to resign them (Ramsey, Yan, Jack, other notable big time FAs that have made an impact)

I see this as the perfect scenario for a window slamming shut, if... QB doesn't pan out, defensive stars don't stick around... etc etc.

If not now, when?

SB or Bust baby!

(06-19-2019, 09:21 AM)JackCity Wrote: Not always no

Yes always.

Every year 1 team wins the superbowl and everyone else are losers.

Outside of the whole scenario where you know you aren't going no way no how... then I suppose it's about building toward the future...(I guess)
but realistically any season not ending in lifting the Lombardi is a failure.

That is the goal of the NFL season.

Exactamundo!

It really is this simple.
'02

(06-19-2019, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 10:29 AM)Kane Wrote: I dunno...

as a fan I kind of am.
As you said, we gave big money to a free agent QB. We have had a top tier D the past 2 seasons. And we have current players that COULD be leaving us if we don't have the means (or want) to resign them (Ramsey, Yan, Jack, other notable big time FAs that have made an impact)

I see this as the perfect scenario for a window slamming shut, if... QB doesn't pan out, defensive stars don't stick around... etc etc.

If not now, when?

SB or Bust baby!

The ultimate goal is the SB every single year. 
I think owners have more realistic goals that are acceptable to them for many seasons. 

When you add "or bust" it implies (to me at least) major consequences if the goal is not attained. 

I personally do not think that Khan will be firing his GM and HC if the Jags win 9 reg. season games + a wildcard game.  Do you?

I agree that making the Playoffs is enough to keep from making sweeping changes, but that's certainly not the goal as some are suggesting. Like you said, the goal is to win the SB every year. I think it was Ditka who phrased it, if you make the Super Bowl but don't win it, you're just the first loser.
'02

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2019, 06:24 AM by The Real Marty.)

(06-21-2019, 04:26 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The ultimate goal is the SB every single year. 
I think owners have more realistic goals that are acceptable to them for many seasons. 

When you add "or bust" it implies (to me at least) major consequences if the goal is not attained. 

I personally do not think that Khan will be firing his GM and HC if the Jags win 9 reg. season games + a wildcard game.  Do you?

I agree that making the Playoffs is enough to keep from making sweeping changes, but that's certainly not the goal as some are suggesting. Like you said, the goal is to win the SB every year. I think it was Ditka who phrased it, if you make the Super Bowl but don't win it, you're just the first loser.

I think we're having trouble defining the question, but here is what I believe.  

The very best way to win a Super Bowl is not to focus on winning the Super Bowl in any particular year, but instead, to get as many chances as possible, by making the playoffs as often as possible.  Therefore, my goal is just to make the playoffs every year, by thinking long term, by never mortgaging our future, by never succumbing to the thought- "this is the year we have to make the Super Bowl."  

So my goal every year would be to make the playoffs.  Super Bowls will come as a result.

Doug Marrone 16 wins out of 34 games in 2 years + 2 games - made playoffs once and went to AFC Championship game
Gus Bradley 14 wins out of 62 games in 4 years - No playoffs.

Gus was able to stay 4 years and never make the playoffs, let alone win more than 5 games in a season. I'm not sold its ever gonna be a "Superbowl or bust season" in Jacksonville. Khan hasn't showed me he will put the real heat on to get the team turned around. Coughlin's hire was a start, but theres alot more that needs to be done if we repeat 2018.
In Dougie I Trust!

I don't think there's ever been an NFL coach who was fired for failing to make the Super Bowl.

(06-21-2019, 12:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't think there's ever been an NFL coach who was fired for failing to make the Super Bowl.

no, but you and I both have just as many postseason wins as Marvin Lewis. Embracing 'good enough' will only keep you around so long.

Marty Schottenheimer never got over the hump in Cleveland, but he was let go more because the owner was a butthole of epic proportions.

(06-21-2019, 11:55 AM)Hurricane Wrote: Doug Marrone 16 wins out of 34 games in 2 years + 2 games - made playoffs once and went to AFC Championship game
Gus Bradley 14 wins out of 62 games in 4 years - No playoffs.

Gus was able to stay 4 years and never make the playoffs, let alone win more than 5 games in a season. I'm not sold its ever gonna be a "Superbowl or bust season" in Jacksonville. Khan hasn't showed me he will put the real heat on to get the team turned around. Coughlin's hire was a start, but theres alot more that needs to be done if we repeat 2018.

Meh, the expectations are much higher now than they were with Gus - especially in his first 2 years.  Caldwell and Khan even said the team over-achieved when they won a lousy 4 games his first year.  
There is light years more talent on this team now than there was with Gus, and I would probably be surprised if Khan didn't clean house with a sub-.500 record this time around.

It's absolutely playoffs or bust, without a doubt. 

You could make an argument that it's AFC Champ game, or bust as well.

(06-21-2019, 06:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 04:26 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I agree that making the Playoffs is enough to keep from making sweeping changes, but that's certainly not the goal as some are suggesting. Like you said, the goal is to win the SB every year. I think it was Ditka who phrased it, if you make the Super Bowl but don't win it, you're just the first loser.

I think we're having trouble defining the question, but here is what I believe.  

The very best way to win a Super Bowl is not to focus on winning the Super Bowl in any particular year, but instead, to get as many chances as possible, by making the playoffs as often as possible.  Therefore, my goal is just to make the playoffs every year, by thinking long term, by never mortgaging our future, by never succumbing to the thought- "this is the year we have to make the Super Bowl."  

So my goal every year would be to make the playoffs.  Super Bowls will come as a result.
Amen and say it isn't so.

In order to celebrate in the Big Dance you have to win your division FIRST. Then win your Divisional Championship. And then win the Divisional Championship to which means that you're the Super Bowl Champions.

It's an process. You CANNOT go from "Cellar to Stellar" w/o successful stages. So don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Sheesh.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-21-2019, 07:21 PM)Eric1 Wrote: It's absolutely playoffs or bust, without a doubt. 

What do you mean by "or bust?"

(06-22-2019, 07:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 07:21 PM)Eric1 Wrote: It's absolutely playoffs or bust, without a doubt. 

What do you mean by "or bust?"

He's counting chickens before they hatch.

NH3...
"AZANE"

you can't get to the super bowl until you have a winning record in your own division,and a overall winning record.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Your initial goal should be to win the division. Then it’s to win one game at a time.

(06-22-2019, 09:22 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Your initial goal should be to win the division. Then it’s to win one game at a time.

This is my thinking, as well. Clear the first essential hurdle before taking on the huge task of even getting to a SB.

To be honest an 8-8 season where the locker room seems good and Foles plays well could easily keep the staff their jobs

19-0 or bust

(06-22-2019, 07:39 PM)jags_r_bake Wrote: 19-0 or bust

#FacePalm.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-22-2019, 09:22 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Your initial goal should be to win the division. Then it’s to win one game at a time.

That was Gus Bradley's line of thought... "We're going to win the AFC South... blah... blah... blah."

It didn't work. You can't set your goal that low. Your goal must be to win the Super Bowl. That has to be the focus.

Put it this way...

If you set your goal as having to just make the Playoffs, that's what you'll do. You'll string your fanbase along for years and maybe one day get a chance.

But if you set your goal to win the Super Bowl every year like the Patriots do, you tend to make the Playoffs most years as a result.

(06-22-2019, 12:14 PM)JackCity Wrote: To be honest an 8-8 season where the locker room seems good and Foles plays well could easily keep the staff their jobs

Agreed. At this stage I feel that would do it. Even at 7-9 I don't think Khan would start pulling plugs.
'02

For anyone who says the goal is merely to make the Playoffs, imagine what Coughlin would say if you told him as much. Coughlin would ring you a new one. You see, Coughlin is not about rebuilding or just making the Playoffs. Coughlin plays to win it all, and you see this in his offseason moves. I noticed this back in the 90s when he was coaching the team, and it was even more apparent with the Giants.

The question isn't, "How are we going to make the Playoffs?" Again, that's Bengals thinking and what good has that done them over the past couple decades? The question is, "How are we going to win a Lombardi."

The Jaguars are in a tough spot to win the division because we're in a division with four contenders. Sure we might win the AFC South, but more than likely it's coming down to that sixth WC and Coughlin surely knows this might be our route this year. Coughlin is the guy deciding what direction this team takes. Caldwell is the guy who makes it happen, and Marrone stays out of it and just coaches. From all accounts, Marrone is on the same page with Coughlin as far as what this team needs to become in order to win it all. They're not thinking Playoffs. They're looking at what it's going to take to win in the Playoffs on the road in places like Cleveland and New England. They're looking at what it's going to take to win the Super Bowl when they get there by installing a guy who they know has the poise, tenacity and talent to do just that. 
'02