Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Our Defense is a joke

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 06:54 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

What is up with Bouye? He makes a couple decent plays in coverage but he just refuses to tackle. It's like he intentionally whiffs on guys that are already trying to break a tackle. Literally playing patty cake out there getting drug down the sidelines. Very lousy showing for some of the guys we need to step up on defense. Yannick wasn't even a factor. He was a factor on about as many plays as Taven Bryan. Safeties were non existent. Team does a lot of jawing which comes with the game but then they just lose all composure and screw us with penalties. It's really annoying because I think Minshew can run this offense with success. Having a borderline elite defense was our security blanket.
No pain, no gain.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This defense got a wake up call. I think they'll gel, grow, and get better. However there are a couple factors that I do think assisted with the less than expected play....

The lack of live action in preseason means actual tackling was not practiced much at all prior to the game.

Second, from the 2017 defensive performance that fans want to see, there have been significant personnel losses that are harder to replace than many realize. The defense has lost Malik Jackson, Telvin Smith, Tashaun Gipson, Barry Church, and Dante Fowler. All of these guys were solid contributors, and a few were playing at a pro bowl-type of level.

(09-09-2019, 04:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 02:24 PM)p_rushing Wrote: It definitely isn't all on Ramsey. It started with Ramsey, the coaches allowed it, and now it has become a bigger problem than can be addressed by the coaches. Ramsey definitely has cut it back, so he isn't to blame for this game. It sits squarely on the coaches for allowing it now. Other players starting talking, got a big head, new players come in and see its allowed, and now it's out of control.

It's one thing if you can do it and control yourself, but clearly there are plenty on the team who cannot.

No, they don't want to address it. 

Maybe if Marrone started getting fined for his players stupidity he'd start taking care of business.

That's something that has to come from within, I'd say.

That taunting penalty especially - when the guys are in the film room reviewing the plays, guys like Calais need to tell the kids that shooting yourselves in the foot hurt the D, and set them up for failure. Ramsey may need to start dialing it back if he sees the younger guys feeding off his jawing, if they don't know where the line in the sand is drawn.

Coaches can say all they want about dumb choices killing a drive or giving the opposition a second chance, but if the guys don't buy in collectively, coaches will be wasting their breath.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 01:25 PM by Adam2012.)

(09-09-2019, 04:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 02:24 PM)p_rushing Wrote: It definitely isn't all on Ramsey. It started with Ramsey, the coaches allowed it, and now it has become a bigger problem than can be addressed by the coaches. Ramsey definitely has cut it back, so he isn't to blame for this game. It sits squarely on the coaches for allowing it now. Other players starting talking, got a big head, new players come in and see its allowed, and now it's out of control.

It's one thing if you can do it and control yourself, but clearly there are plenty on the team who cannot.

No, they don't want to address it. 

Maybe if Marrone started getting fined for his players stupidity he'd start taking care of business.

Here we go again. "Taking care of business". What does that even mean?

(09-10-2019, 09:24 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 04:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: No, they don't want to address it. 

That taunting penalty especially - when the guys are in the film room reviewing the plays, guys like Calais need to tell the kids that shooting yourselves in the foot hurt the D, and set them up for failure. Ramsey may need to start dialing it back if he sees the younger guys feeding off his jawing, if they don't know where the line in the sand is drawn.

Coaches can say all they want about dumb choices killing a drive or giving the opposition a second chance, but if the guys don't buy in collectively, coaches will be wasting their breath.

Bingo. I don't think a coach can do more than be emphatic that it will not be tolerated. But that only goes so far. You still want your best players out there. You try and draft good players who do not have a reputation of being idiots or jerks.

Best of my knowledge Myles Jack has never been known for being an idiot or jerk.

Is there any chance of the league suspending Jack. He'll certainly be fined.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

We’ve sunk a boatload of money on this defense. Last year it was ranked in the top 5 in several categories, but it didn’t impress me as a top 5 defense. In too many cases, they couldn’t get off the field on third down. I’m not sure that I believe it’s better to have a top 5 defense, or a top 5 offense. It’s almost impossible to have both simultaneously. I listened to a podcast last week from a Kansas City site , where they acknowledged that KC needed to improve their defense, which was near the bottom of the league in 2018. They thought that if they could be in the middle of the defensive rankings they’d be a lock to win the Super Bowl, given that they have one of the best offenses in the NFL. I just don’t think it works the other way around.........top 5 defense, middle of the road offense. Once you land a generational QB like Mahoney, you need to build the offense around him, even if it means settling for a middle of the road defense. I realize a lot of other factors come into play, such as top quality coaches, but in general, I’d rather build a great offense than a great defense.

(09-10-2019, 04:01 PM)Section105Fan Wrote: We’ve sunk a boatload of money on this defense. Last year it was ranked in the top 5 in several categories, but it didn’t impress me as a top 5 defense. In too many cases, they couldn’t get off the field on third down. I’m not sure that I believe it’s better to have a top 5 defense, or a top 5 offense. It’s almost impossible to have both simultaneously. I  listened to a podcast last week from a Kansas City site , where they acknowledged  that KC needed to improve their defense, which was near the bottom of the league in 2018. They thought that if they could be in the middle of the defensive rankings they’d be a lock to win the Super Bowl, given that they have one of the best offenses in the NFL.  I just don’t think it works the other way around.........top 5 defense, middle of the road offense. Once you land a generational QB like Mahoney, you need to build the offense around him, even if it means settling for a middle of the road defense. I realize a lot of other factors come into play, such as top quality coaches, but in general, I’d rather build a great offense than a great defense.

Well when you have a top flight offense, all the rules are slanted in your favor and you will get the calls.  The officiating gets moved to support your top offense.  The NFL would prefer defense cease to exist.  And a top 5 defense won't get you much anymore.  There will be a point in the game where a PI, Taunting, Defensive Holding or some other hankie will bite you and flip the field on your top defense.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-10-2019, 04:01 PM)Section105Fan Wrote: We’ve sunk a boatload of money on this defense. Last year it was ranked in the top 5 in several categories, but it didn’t impress me as a top 5 defense. In too many cases, they couldn’t get off the field on third down. I’m not sure that I believe it’s better to have a top 5 defense, or a top 5 offense. It’s almost impossible to have both simultaneously. I  listened to a podcast last week from a Kansas City site , where they acknowledged  that KC needed to improve their defense, which was near the bottom of the league in 2018. They thought that if they could be in the middle of the defensive rankings they’d be a lock to win the Super Bowl, given that they have one of the best offenses in the NFL.  I just don’t think it works the other way around.........top 5 defense, middle of the road offense. Once you land a generational QB like Mahoney, you need to build the offense around him, even if it means settling for a middle of the road defense. I realize a lot of other factors come into play, such as top quality coaches, but in general, I’d rather build a great offense than a great defense.

That comes down to how you build your team. Some teams have a style or system that HC and players are expected to fit,  some are HC bought in to implement a style or just playing to your strengths and knowing your weaknesses.

The Chiefs know they can put up 50 on pretty much anyone. They just need a D that can keep teams under that. We have a strong D that's supposed to hold teams under 17 so we just need an O that can put up more than that.

(09-10-2019, 05:23 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

That comes down to how you build your team. Some teams have a style or system that HC and players are expected to fit,  some are HC bought in to implement a style or just playing to your strengths and knowing your weaknesses.

The Chiefs know they can put up 50 on pretty much anyone. They just need a D that can keep teams under that. We have a strong D that's supposed to hold teams under 17 so we just need an O that can put up more than that.
Yeah, but so far, and I acknowledge it’s only the first game, I wouldn’t bet on this defense holding opponents to 17. They may average that, but against quality QB’s, they’ll surrender 28 or more.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 05:34 PM by WingerDinger.)

The defense was extremely disappointing but I'm not worried.. The Chiefs have arguably the #1 offense in the league, Jags starters didn't receive much playing time in preseason and it's oozing with talent.. I'm confident that defensive adjustments were already made to tighten things up.. I have faith..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(09-10-2019, 05:30 PM)Section105Fan Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 05:23 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: That comes down to how you build your team. Some teams have a style or system that HC and players are expected to fit,  some are HC bought in to implement a style or just playing to your strengths and knowing your weaknesses.

Yeah, but so far, and I acknowledge it’s only the first game, I wouldn’t bet on this defense holding opponents to 17. They may average that, but against quality QB’s, they’ll surrender 28 or more.

I share that worry. Its been a while since we've seen this D dominate a game. I agree its week 1 and the Chiefs but we cant afford for this D to have off games, like I said, we are built for them to hold teams. 

We just need one of those wins thats gets us going in the right direction again, like the Chargers in 2017.

(09-10-2019, 01:20 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:

Here we go again. "Taking care of business". What does that even mean?

(09-10-2019, 09:24 AM)Mikey Wrote: That's something that has to come from within, I'd say.

Bingo. I don't think a coach can do more than be emphatic that it will not be tolerated. But that only goes so far. You still want your best players out there. You try and draft good players who do not have a reputation of being idiots or jerks.

Best of my knowledge Myles Jack has never been known for being an idiot or jerk.

Is there any chance of the league suspending Jack. He'll certainly be fined.

This was the first time Jack has ever been tossed from a game.

Jack apologized after the game and said it wouldn't ever happen again. He basically just said that he got caught up in the moment and was in the wrong. He said that he was heated because Watkins gave him a cheap shot under the chin, then stood over him and said some stuff. That's why he got up and got right into Watkins' face, but then he got what he felt was another cheap shot by the push in the back. That's when he punched dude who pushed him from behind etc etc.

Fined most definitely. Don't know if he'll be suspended or not. He did miss most of that game because of it.

I can't remember, did Fournette get suspended for him throwing a punch/fighting against the Bills last year?

Aaron Colvin released lol

(09-10-2019, 08:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Aaron Colvin released lol
He was bad last night. Real bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-10-2019, 09:24 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Reading this reminded me of what Bouye said at the end of last season: he said that coaches absolutely held players accountable but the issue was players failed them by not holding each other accountable and that team leaders would have to do a better job next year to avoid that happening again.

We'll see how they react this season.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2019, 09:16 AM by snowwolf776.)

the whole team is a joke,and biggest joke is the HC,he was laughing on the sidelines on one of the pentlys jags got. then he says in a interview the displine is up to the players. No its up to the HC to put displine on the team.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019, 06:06 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

I guess losing Posluszny to retirement and Telvin just screwed us. Church was horrendous last year so it wasn't because of that. I think we miss Gip more than we think though. There just seemed to be some questionable decisions, after the whistles and then just horrible technique with tackling and angles to the ball. I guess we can just chalk it up to playing KC but hopefully we can get some good play out of them.
No pain, no gain.

The 1 player we should of kept from last year is Gipson

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019, 07:51 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(09-09-2019, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 10:09 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: I don't think that little rule of thumb applies to CB so much as pass rushers who can pin their ears back and go, with having the lead. I mean, The Mouth of The South got it handed to him from beginning to end.  I just think those guys need to be quiet and play football. Do something, then talk smack. Not talk a ton of smack and do nothing to show.

And I'm still mad he turned his back on A.J. Green after shoving the guy.  I mean, come on! If your gonna shove the guy and taunt him, atleast keep a look over your shoulder and save us all the embarrassment. Dude's arrogance don't match his performance-

You need to rewatch yesterday's game. 

Ramsey was not the problem.
If you call 6 receptions given up and a 1 TD given up not a problem the our standards are very low.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jalen-ramsey/10639

Ramsey with a 39.6 rating after 1 week. I havent looked at every players rating on the team but i cant imagine wel have to many players with a lower rating than that

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019, 08:27 AM by D-Money.)

(09-12-2019, 07:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The 1 player we should of kept from last year is Gipson

Correct. We make decisions that seem to be small but end up really hurting the team. Gipson, Poz, ARob, Mercedes Lewis, Colvin, picking Taven Bryan instead of someone else. Front office...which comes down basically Caldwell

(09-12-2019, 08:25 AM)D-Money Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 07:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The 1 player we should of kept from last year is Gipson

Correct. We make decisions that seem to be small but end up really hurting the team. Gipson, Poz, ARob, Mercedes Lewis, Colvin, picking Taven Bryan instead of someone else. Front office...which comes down basically Caldwell

Ummm 
Poz retired, Colvin is terrible and Lewis is a serviceable blocking end who’s aging out. 
Bad examples.