Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taven Bryan taking the next step?

(11-26-2019, 04:09 PM)rfc17 Wrote: How many defensive lineman do we suit up each game?  8?  9?  half of those are pass rushers leaving Campbell, Bryan, Jones, and Dareus on the inside.  Only two of those are run stopping interior lineman.  When one goes out that leaves one guy to clog the middle.  One.  Perhaps this was poor roster management.

Dareus gave them lots of flexibility because he was good against both run and pass. He could line up as a 1 or 3 tech.
They did a fine job of rotating their DTs according to run and pass most of the time since Dareus came in in October of ‘17. 
What you’re seeing now is just a scramble to find an effective combination of interior guys against the run. This is happening because the roster now lacks a quality 1tech nose tackle who can eat up double teams, gum up the middle running lanes and occasionally shed blocks to tackle backs near the line. 

The team needs a Wilfork/Suh type of player there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-26-2019, 04:27 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 04:14 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Well Nick Foles was supposed to make our offense function at a high level... allowing the Defense to play with a lead and use all that speed..... hahaha

Yep. BWEut somehow this offensive line was considered good enough during the off season to protect pretty much a pure pocket passer and that backfired within one or two quarters of football. Pretty remarkable.

Well i remember being told that Foles quick release will make the line look better than they have shown.  Guess that was foolery.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-26-2019, 04:33 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 04:27 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Yep. BWEut somehow this offensive line was considered good enough during the off season to protect pretty much a pure pocket passer and that backfired within one or two quarters of football. Pretty remarkable.

Well i remember being told that Foles quick release will make the line look better than they have shown.  Guess that was foolery.

I mean he quickly throws into double coverages and checkdowns....

(11-26-2019, 04:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 04:33 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Well i remember being told that Foles quick release will make the line look better than they have shown.  Guess that was foolery.

He throws a lot of 50/50 passes up. Sometimes into double coverage. Sometimes into situations that make sense. After that injury in week one they should have shut him down for the year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-26-2019, 04:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 04:33 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Well i remember being told that Foles quick release will make the line look better than they have shown.  Guess that was foolery.

That is true.  It is still suppose to make the line look better since they don't have to hold their blocks as long as they did with Minshew.  Just repeating what was explained to me by our MB Jaguars staff.  The Todd mentality extends to apart of this fanbase it seems.  I don't know football like they do.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-26-2019, 04:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 04:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I mean he quickly throws into double coverages and checkdowns....

He throws a lot of 50/50 passes up. Sometimes into double coverage. Sometimes into situations that make sense. After that injury in week one they should have shut him down for the year.

They really acted like he was going to save their jobs.. did they see something in practice that made them go, yep, this guys ready... even though his arm is at least 25-30% weaker than it was.

(11-26-2019, 04:52 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 04:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote: He throws a lot of 50/50 passes up. Sometimes into double coverage. Sometimes into situations that make sense. After that injury in week one they should have shut him down for the year.

They really acted like he was going to save their jobs.. did they see something in practice that made them go, yep, this guys ready... even though his arm is at least 25-30% weaker than it was.

I really don't know. What I would give to be a fly on the wall sometimes though. I get it though. It all looks easy on paper and from a distance for us "Armchair" coaches and general managers. Minshew didn't have the best game in London. He finally looked rattled. He finally looked pressed. He finally had his rookie game and moment in that one. Still question the offensive approach and game plan in that one though. As I have been questioning it over the last two weeks. 

Maybe Mike Zimmer wasn't too crazy after all. DeFillippo has had some games where he's featured Fournette almost to this team's own detriment in some games. And then he's had some games where the stats would say that maybe you should have ran him more in this one instead of throwing it so much or the other way around, etc. This offense seems like it's in a constant midlife crisis between the QB position, the injuries at TE, the lack of rotation at RB, etc. 

Just nothing seems to work right on either side of the football at the moment. I do feel like it can be demoralizing for the defense to see this offense start and sputter. Has to be tough. But I think it's just time as FBT said in a different thread. It's just time. Time for this year to end already. Time to look forward to the off season and next year. And it's especially time for a change in leadership down there in that front office and coaching staff.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-26-2019, 11:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think you are just reading too much into the move. 

The coaches, out of desperation, were simply trying to mitigate the loss of Dareus by giving the stout 7th rounder a chance. He’s not ready yet, but they had to try SOMETHING. Hell, anything. 
Giving up those yards on the ground to division opponents put these coaches on the hot seat, and I’m frankly glad to see some attempt to adjust even if the late round rookie wasn’t enough to shift the tide. 

Taven losing some snaps was a byproduct or side effect. Not a designed subtraction. 
This had nothing to do with Bryan’s production this year and everything to do with the fact that he’s a 3tech and not a nose tackle.

It is very possible--and realistically pretty likely--that I'm reading too much into the move. I am a fairly large pessimist, in general. It's only been one week so I'm not going to start yelling that Bryan's a bust or the coaches should all be burned at the stake or anything that dramatic. Just an interesting subplot to keep watching. If the trend continues and the team continues hiding Bryan to try salvage the run game, it'll be discouraging and possibly warrant more reflection on Bryan's overall development (he doesn't need to replace Dareus exclusively; they can give snaps to Russel at that spot while still giving Bryan his snaps around the line to keep him in the game rather than hiding him on the bench)...

But for now, I do understand they're throwing darts at a board. We'll see how they handle the dline, and Bryan (and to a lesser extent Allen) moving forward, especially this week against the run-anemic Bucs. Hopefully they find some workable solution, if only for this week. If they give up 200 yards to Ronald Jones and Peyton Barber, I might need therapy...
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(11-26-2019, 11:08 PM)LMD Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 11:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think you are just reading too much into the move. 

The coaches, out of desperation, were simply trying to mitigate the loss of Dareus by giving the stout 7th rounder a chance. He’s not ready yet, but they had to try SOMETHING. Hell, anything. 
Giving up those yards on the ground to division opponents put these coaches on the hot seat, and I’m frankly glad to see some attempt to adjust even if the late round rookie wasn’t enough to shift the tide. 

Taven losing some snaps was a byproduct or side effect. Not a designed subtraction. 
This had nothing to do with Bryan’s production this year and everything to do with the fact that he’s a 3tech and not a nose tackle.

It is very possible--and realistically pretty likely--that I'm reading too much into the move. I am a fairly large pessimist, in general. It's only been one week so I'm not going to start yelling that Bryan's a bust or the coaches should all be burned at the stake or anything that dramatic. Just an interesting subplot to keep watching. If the trend continues and the team continues hiding Bryan to try salvage the run game, it'll be discouraging and possibly warrant more reflection on Bryan's overall development (he doesn't need to replace Dareus exclusively; they can give snaps to Russel at that spot while still giving Bryan his snaps around the line to keep him in the game rather than hiding him on the bench)...

But they are giving him snaps. Lots of them. Here's the thing: when you're losing by eight thousand, the other team is going to do a lot of running it down your throat. In that situation, do you want your line anchored by a 290-lb. swing lineman who runs sub-5.0 and is better suited to making the QB's life a living hell? Or do you want 325 lbs. of thicc boi plugging the A gap like he plugs those airplane toilets on the ride home?

I'm taking thicc boi in that scenario, and the Jags are too, hence his snap count. Things would be bad for Bryan if we were up by ten and the other team was passing 60% of the time, but he was still losing lots of playing time to thicc boi.

(11-26-2019, 11:49 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 11:08 PM)LMD Wrote: It is very possible--and realistically pretty likely--that I'm reading too much into the move. I am a fairly large pessimist, in general. It's only been one week so I'm not going to start yelling that Bryan's a bust or the coaches should all be burned at the stake or anything that dramatic. Just an interesting subplot to keep watching. If the trend continues and the team continues hiding Bryan to try salvage the run game, it'll be discouraging and possibly warrant more reflection on Bryan's overall development (he doesn't need to replace Dareus exclusively; they can give snaps to Russel at that spot while still giving Bryan his snaps around the line to keep him in the game rather than hiding him on the bench)...

But they are giving him snaps. Lots of them. Here's the thing: when you're losing by eight thousand, the other team is going to do a lot of running it down your throat. In that situation, do you want your line anchored by a 290-lb. swing lineman who runs sub-5.0 and is better suited to making the QB's life a living hell? Or do you want 325 lbs. of thicc boi plugging the A gap like he plugs those airplane toilets on the ride home?

I'm taking thicc boi in that scenario, and the Jags are too, hence his snap count. Things would be bad for Bryan if we were up by ten and the other team was passing 60% of the time, but he was still losing lots of playing time to thicc boi.
Wash: How do you like your D-lineman?
[Image: d92e2377435e8a0c7eac74b038f5cf84.gif]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk