Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Where's the love for Fournette?

(10-21-2019, 07:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 06:43 PM)knarnn Wrote: I would think it would be in the 10 mil per year average range. Right above Devonta Freeman but right below David Johnson. 

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

My post said "premier back" contract.  That's why I said 12+ mil per. 

In 2021 that would be top ten RB money, but maybe not top 5. 

What they'll actually offer him if anything at all,  I have no clue. I'd just keep drafting mid and late round backs personally.
Yep, totally agree!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2019, 07:09 PM by knarnn.)

(10-21-2019, 07:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 06:43 PM)knarnn Wrote: I would think it would be in the 10 mil per year average range. Right above Devonta Freeman but right below David Johnson. 

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

My post said "premier back" contract.  That's why I said 12+ mil per. 

In 2021 that would be top ten RB money, but maybe not top 5. 

What they'll actually offer him if anything at all,  I have no clue. I'd just keep drafting mid and late round backs personally.

That would probably still be top 5 money as Gurley and/or Freeman’s contracts may be ripped up come next year. The only other back due for a large payday is CMC, who will probably reset the market.

But I totally agree. I’d keep drafting RBs in the 3rd or later. They really aren’t that hard to find.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(10-21-2019, 11:57 AM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 11:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think you are just fantasizing.  Somehow, you think you can turn Leonard Fournette into something better than Leonard Fournette.  Trade a player, get a pick, pick a better player, trade some more players, get some more picks, get more better players, and so on.  That's just a fantasy.
It’s not as simple as you make it, there are contracts, salary caps, age, wear and tear, value of position, longevity of position, replaceability of position, etc. RBs aren’t hard to find.

If they aren't hard to find why can't we find anyone that can spell him? Armstead does not appear up to the task, and I really don't want a roster full of journeymen on the downside of their careers.

(10-22-2019, 09:40 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 11:57 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: It’s not as simple as you make it, there are contracts, salary caps, age, wear and tear, value of position, longevity of position, replaceability of position, etc. RBs aren’t hard to find.

If they aren't hard to find why can't we find anyone that can spell him? Armstead does not appear up to the task, and I really don't want a roster full of journeymen on the downside of their careers.

I'm not sure where the "Armstead isn't good" stuff is coming from lately. 
Two games, he never saw the field, in 4 other games he had fewer than ten snaps. 

In total he's seen 14 attempts on the season.  

We have not seen nearly enough to attempt such a determination on Armstead.

(10-22-2019, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 09:40 AM)Mikey Wrote: If they aren't hard to find why can't we find anyone that can spell him? Armstead does not appear up to the task, and I really don't want a roster full of journeymen on the downside of their careers.

I'm not sure where the "Armstead isn't good" stuff is coming from lately. 
Two games, he never saw the field, in 4 other games he had fewer than ten snaps.  In total he's seen 14 attempts on the season.  

I think they like Fournette's pass blocking.  Armstead is a rookie.  He probably has some stuff to learn.

(10-22-2019, 09:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm not sure where the "Armstead isn't good" stuff is coming from lately. 
Two games, he never saw the field, in 4 other games he had fewer than ten snaps.  In total he's seen 14 attempts on the season.  

I think they like Fournette's pass blocking.  Armstead is a rookie.  He probably has some stuff to learn.

Yes, last year's backup was a superior pass blocker and great pass catcher, plus 27 was hurt a large part of the year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

https://twitter.com/jaguars/status/11863...55393?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

LOL

"look at this cut!"

It's like the most routine open field move a starting RB should be expected to make.

I enjoy Lageman's perspective most of the time, but that's a high degree of homerism.

Yeah that video has massive blind squirrel finds a nut cliche all over it. For every video like that that you can find of Fournette eluding the safety in the hole you can find literally two dozen of that safety tackling Fournette with ease.

(10-22-2019, 02:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

"look at this cut!"

It's like the most routine open field move a starting RB should be expected to make.

I enjoy Lageman's perspective most of the time, but that's a high degree of homerism.

It’s amazing because it’s been rarely seen from 27. 

Have to admit he did leave the safety grasping for air.

What’s even better were the blocks by Cam and Norwell. They cleared out the left side all game. While there’s certainly room for improvement in pass blocking, they are turning into true road graders in the run game.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2019, 06:50 PM by JNev.)

(10-21-2019, 05:49 PM)Upper Wrote: Ah yes, these are the logical fallacy boards where less than half of a season of recency bias overrides a careers worth of data.

We would be beyond foolish to give Fournette a big 2nd contract. Alas, I think we are going to be beyond foolish like we have with so many of our other 2nd contracts.

Coming from the guy who said Cohen and Montgomery, Howard and Sanders, and Carson and Penny were better than Fournette lolol

Oh and Mr 10 carries for 2 yards Mixon is better than Fournette. It’s all just comical

I'm more than happy to be wrong when I was calling him Trent Richardson v2.0 last year. But it was still a bad pick and they better not double down on it by signing him to a big contract extension, which I'm totally expecting them to do.

Just as long as you admit you were categorically wrong

(10-22-2019, 06:48 PM)JNev Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 05:49 PM)Upper Wrote: Ah yes, these are the logical fallacy boards where less than half of a season of recency bias overrides a careers worth of data.

We would be beyond foolish to give Fournette a big 2nd contract. Alas, I think we are going to be beyond foolish like we have with so many of our other 2nd contracts.

Coming from the guy who said Cohen and Montgomery, Howard and Sanders, and Carson and Penny were better than Fournette lolol

Oh and Mr 10 carries for 2 yards Mixon is better than Fournette. It’s all just comical
lol, I remember that.  He named more than that haha

(10-22-2019, 02:11 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/jaguars/status/11863...55393?s=21

Leonard is becoming the type of teammate, player, and leader we hoped he could be.  He's running with confidence and authority.  Based on his continuing his current success, why wouldn't we want to resign him?  He's everything we want a Jaguar to be.

Folks need to get over his draft position and stop holding it against him.  It's a sunk cost.  We can't let the good of the team be determined by obsessing over sunk costs.  And if we keep living as hostages to those past choices, it ruins our present happiness as fans.  Enjoy the ride!  The Jags are getting better.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

I have thoroughly enjoyed Fournettes renaissance.

Aside from all his improvements in terms of footwork and vision he's pretty clearly levelled up physically too. Like even early rookie year Fournette didn't look this explosive and smooth

(10-22-2019, 11:12 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 02:11 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/jaguars/status/11863...55393?s=21

Leonard is becoming the type of teammate, player, and leader we hoped he could be.  He's running with confidence and authority.  Based on his continuing his current success, why wouldn't we want to resign him?  He's everything we want a Jaguar to be.

Folks need to get over his draft position and stop holding it against him.  It's a sunk cost.  We can't let the good of the team be determined by obsessing over sunk costs.  And if we keep living as hostages to those past choices, it ruins our present happiness as fans.  Enjoy the ride!  The Jags are getting better.

Well said. I think people also get into the mode of thinking a younger player will never be more than he was his first couple of seasons. He's probably never going to be an elite back year in and year out but he's a good RB when healthy and people should just enjoy the fact that he's currently second in the league in rushing.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I'm guilty of calling out Fournette for his shortcomings, some of which he has improved upon this season.

I still hate taking him at #4 and I still think he needs a runway and typically needs more help from his line than a top ten back should, but here we are. And DeFilippo is doing what he can to make LF productive and it's working more than it's not.

I've never called him a bust and always maintained he could be productive under the right circumstances. So at least I'm not one of the half dozen posters calling him Trent Richardson 2.0. (SeldomRite, where you at?)

I REALLY wish Flip would get some misdirection plays dialed up for the red zone instead of this goal line package "impose your will" business. It's not working. Better to scheme some space than to dare teams to simply fill the interior gaps with extra bodies. Maybe try passing to a chip-then-leak TE from that formation if you're going to keep trotting it out there.
It should be clear that LF leaping into linebackers and safeties is a low percentage play by now.

(10-22-2019, 11:12 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:

This is as good a post as I've read all year here. I am enjoying all of his football success but equally remarkable, maybe more so, has been his emergence as the team leader. A reasonable second contract is certainly acceptable as long as it protects the team from the typical and inevitable RB decline.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I'm happy he's playing well, but I do gotta wonder, what's up with the lack of use for Armstead? Did he have fumble issues in practice or something? Or is it that Filip just feels like they need Fournette constantly on the field to ensure the gameplan works?

Not saying Fournette hasn't been taking care of business, but I do wonder if there's a possibility they'll run him into the ground before the season's over. It wouldn't them to take some reps from him and let him rest a spell here and there