Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
“Increasingly Likely” Jaguars Will Franchise DE Yannick Ngakoue

(02-07-2020, 11:28 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 10:59 PM)Corriewf Wrote: He’s above average but not elite and not worth setting a new market price. For me this whole thing is part of what’s wrong with today’s NFL. Greed.

He's an elite pass rusher, and that's what gets the money

Demarcus Lawrence is far better against the run and had a way better pressure rate than Yan, despite being double teamed a lot more.  Lawrence also had a way better pass rush win rate (rate pass rusher beats blocker in 2.5 seconds). If he wants an equal or better contract than Lawrence, who signed his deal last off-season, then he can hit the road.

I'd give him no more than Frank Clark, who imo is overpaid, but is an almost identical player production wise to Yan.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There’s no way I’m letting Yannick walk. Just no way.

Can someone show me an average DE?

(02-07-2020, 11:28 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 10:59 PM)Corriewf Wrote: He’s above average but not elite and not worth setting a new market price. For me this whole thing is part of what’s wrong with today’s NFL. Greed.

He's an elite pass rusher, and that's what gets the money

Not even close but thanks for making me laugh.

(02-08-2020, 12:00 AM)KABD Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 11:28 PM)JackCity Wrote: He's an elite pass rusher, and that's what gets the money

Demarcus Lawrence is far better against the run and had a way better pressure rate than Yan, despite being double teamed a lot more.  Lawrence also had a way better pass rush win rate (rate pass rusher beats blocker in 2.5 seconds). If he wants an equal or better contract than Lawrence, who signed his deal last off-season, then he can hit the road.

I'd give him no more than Frank Clark, who imo is overpaid, but is an almost identical player production wise to Yan.

Dlaw is also an elite pass rusher, but Yannick will be signing a year after Dlaw did and in different circumstances which balances it out. 

He'll also be signing a year after Clark except with less off the field and injury question marks. 

Remember the time is important. Its not just about being better than players. 

At this point signing Yannick to like a million or two more than Clark doesn't negatively impact us in any capacity

(02-08-2020, 09:44 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 12:00 AM)KABD Wrote: Demarcus Lawrence is far better against the run and had a way better pressure rate than Yan, despite being double teamed a lot more.  Lawrence also had a way better pass rush win rate (rate pass rusher beats blocker in 2.5 seconds). If he wants an equal or better contract than Lawrence, who signed his deal last off-season, then he can hit the road.

Dlaw is also an elite pass rusher, but Yannick will be signing a year after Dlaw did and in different circumstances which balances it out. 

He'll also be signing a year after Clark except with less off the field and injury question marks. 

At this point signing Yannick to like a million or two more than Clark doesn't negatively impact us in any capacity

Especially considering that the difference in Clark and Lawrence's contracts are literally $1m on the overall contract and like $2m on the guaranteed money. 

Lawrence got 5 years, $105m and $65m guaranteed.

Clark got 5 years, $104m and $63m guaranteed.

If they let a couple million be the deciding factor in keeping Ngakoue or not, then this front office is even more brain dead than we thought.

They didn't want to pay him what he's worth last off season when they should have. Now they have to deal with the reality that they're going to have to pay him more this off season. That's just how it works.

(02-08-2020, 10:13 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 09:44 PM)JackCity Wrote: Dlaw is also an elite pass rusher, but Yannick will be signing a year after Dlaw did and in different circumstances which balances it out. 

Especially considering that the difference in Clark and Lawrence's contracts are literally $1m on the overall contract and like $2m on the guaranteed money. 

Lawrence got 5 years, $105m and $65m guaranteed.

Clark got 5 years, $104m and $63m guaranteed.

If they let a couple million be the deciding factor in keeping Ngakoue or not, then this front office is even more brain dead than we thought.

They didn't want to pay him what he's worth last off season when they should have. Now they have to deal with the reality that they're going to have to pay him more this off season. That's just how it works.

They would have to be into winning. It starts from ownership and you know the story and record so anything this FO does should be of no surprise.

I'm thinking tag and trade is gonna be what happens with Yan. Guy tweets way too much and has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be part of this organization. Instead of holding him hostage and having another unhappy player on our team I'd get as much value as we can for him right now.

(02-10-2020, 02:09 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I'm thinking tag and trade is gonna be what happens with Yan. Guy tweets way too much and has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be part of this organization. Instead of holding him hostage and having another unhappy player on our team I'd get as much value as we can for him right now.
BAHAHAHAHA

Based on what exactly? If Myles Jack and Bortles are getting extensions and they aren't have the player you are, wouldn't you be a little annoyed at the FO too?

Yan is still only 24. His best football is still ahead of him and that's saying something.

(02-11-2020, 12:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/demetrius82/status/1...13666?s=21

He's not a complete DE.

He's a pass rusher that sometimes gets lucky in run support - but when an OT or G locks him down in a power rush, he doesn't even move.

(02-11-2020, 12:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/demetrius82/status/1...13666?s=21

LMAO does this guy even watch games?

How did I know?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Surprised there are still people on the wrong side of this...

(Well not surprised about one of them)

Dig in them heels!

(02-11-2020, 02:37 PM)Rico Wrote: How did I know?

Right?

It's a shame where we are just 2/3 years from a promising time..... #becauseJaguars
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(02-08-2020, 08:27 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 11:28 PM)JackCity Wrote: He's an elite pass rusher, and that's what gets the money

Not even close but thanks for making me laugh.

It's at least close lol. its one thing to argue that yan isn't "elite" but to say he's not close to the definition (where the arguments against are really nit picky) is silly.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Yan is a very good player, but not elite. So I can understand people who look at this situation and say we shouldn’t set the market with his contract. That being said, after the whole Ramsey thing, it’ll be a terrible look for the FO and the organization if Yan ends up leaving as well. Might be wise to gain a reputation where we draft well and keep players rather than the FA big spenders and offseason champions.

He good.

Franchise, then sign him. We've done so, so much worse.

(02-06-2020, 08:08 AM)Rico Wrote: As if this wasn't going to happen anyway.  What in depth reporting.

Agreed.  It seems like some reporter drew the short straw and landed a Jacksonville story, and rather than doing research, he just found an John O column from the website and repurposed it.

Yan had a chance to take $19m per and turned it down.  He and his agent have overvalued him, but there are teams out there flush with cap space that would be more than willing to meet his demands.  The team will get some value for him.  I don't think they'll get a 1st, but if some front office is silly enough to offer that up for him, they should take it and run.  Seems like a package deal with a 2 and possibly a 4 seems more likely.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]