Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023, 11:27 PM by Lucky2Last. Edited 4 times in total.)

Explain.

If you're suggesting that we ONLY had cases from Covid when I was said this two years ago, you'd be wrong. We were definitely overcounting... but not nearly as much as we are now, because we're using the same flawed method, but with a much tamer disease and built in immunity.

In fact, I said the only logical way to catergorize this was to break it into 3 categories, more or less, which were with covid and from covid, and we shouldn't count anyone who was going to die from a completely unrelated issue, like dying in a car accident with covid. And I even specified that we could distinguish with covid and from covid by looking at who came to the hospital exclusively for covid and were not already having other serious complications when they passed. I estimated that we were overcounting deaths by between 10-25% (this was 2 years ago). I would not have thought we were overcounting by 60% back then, because I believe (still do) that we were experiencing a high amount of deaths from people who had never encountered this disease before (while also predicting it would drop off in 2 years like the Spanish Flu). This isn't any different than what she is saying.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023, 11:57 PM by Ronster. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-26-2023, 10:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 09:01 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Yes. It's satire. Where do you even find this stuff?

How can you say it's satire when it perfectly represents Ronster?

How many more people have too die suddenly before you admit, this one time, right here on this subject, you are wrong. 

You ignore and/or malign everything that has been presented to you. I got news for you pal, your human just like me. No better no worse, and on that human level , YES; even you are fallible. 

Take the L , you’ve earned it..
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

Man, out of curiosity, I went back and started rereading this thread. We were all so very wrong. I was mostly wrong in my speculations, especially in political and medical responses (though, I think I was making good calls), and I was also on the fence as to whether or not we had really seen the bad stuff yet. For example, I'm 100 pages in and it hasn't even gotten to FL yet. I still treated it like a real threat and was one of the early posters taking it seriously. I'll can't remember if I put what I said in this forum of it was in a different one. I posted much less on here back in the day, because I preferred to visit a progressive forum full of academics, that was until the death threats started. Anyways, gonna keep reading through this slog fest. It's actually pretty interesting to revisit it.

(01-27-2023, 12:02 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Man, out of curiosity, I went back and started rereading this thread. We were all so very wrong. I was mostly wrong in my speculations, especially in political and medical responses (though, I think I was making good calls), and I was also on the fence as to whether or not we had really seen the bad stuff yet. For example, I'm 100 pages in and it hasn't even gotten to FL yet. I still treated it like a real threat and was one of the early posters taking it seriously. I'll can't remember if I put what I said in this forum of it was in a different one. I posted much less on here back in the day, because I preferred to visit a progressive forum full of academics, that was until the death threats started. Anyways, gonna keep reading through this slog fest. It's actually pretty interesting to revisit it.

Great, now I’m curious
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(02-28-2020, 10:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 10:39 AM)Gabe Wrote: You spelled Caronavirus wrong.

But goes good with Limevirus.

Big joke, sooo funny…. Tsk, tsk, tsk…

Nah, j/k it was kinda funny, the first 1000 times…

Aaah, memories of a simpler, innocent time…

Then the government came offering too “help”

@LuckyToLast don't come over now, weather is [BLEEP]

Really humid, come over springtime much nicer

(01-27-2023, 12:17 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: @LuckyToLast don't come over now, weather is [BLEEP]

Really humid,  come over springtime much nicer

Lol, what are you talking about?

(01-27-2023, 12:38 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(01-27-2023, 12:17 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: @LuckyToLast don't come over now, weather is [BLEEP]

Really humid,  come over springtime much nicer

Lol, what are you talking about?

I think he wants to take you on a walkabout.. down unda..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-27-2023, 12:02 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Man, out of curiosity, I went back and started rereading this thread. We were all so very wrong. I was mostly wrong in my speculations, especially in political and medical responses (though, I think I was making good calls), and I was also on the fence as to whether or not we had really seen the bad stuff yet. For example, I'm 100 pages in and it hasn't even gotten to FL yet. I still treated it like a real threat and was one of the early posters taking it seriously. I'll can't remember if I put what I said in this forum of it was in a different one. I posted much less on here back in the day, because I preferred to visit a progressive forum full of academics, that was until the death threats started. Anyways, gonna keep reading through this slog fest. It's actually pretty interesting to revisit it.

I do agree that early on we all missed a bunch. I was square in the "It's just a mild flu" camp until the beds started filling up.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-27-2023, 07:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I do agree that early on we all.missed a bunch. I was square in the "It's just a mild flu" camp until the beds started filling up.

I stand by my original assessment that this was released by the Chinese government on purpose to upset the global economy due to failing/falling yen vs the USD and Trump holding their feet to the fire over trade imbalances.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(01-27-2023, 08:09 AM)copycat Wrote:
(01-27-2023, 07:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I do agree that early on we all.missed a bunch. I was square in the "It's just a mild flu" camp until the beds started filling up.

I stand by my original assessment that this was released by the Chinese government on purpose to upset the global economy due to failing/falling yen vs the USD and Trump holding their feet to the fire over trade imbalances.

I don't know that the origin was such, but I have no trouble believing that this was bio-warfare or a bio-war related accidental release. I postulated somewhere back there where L2L is reading that the population's response the roll out of the vaccine might have been much different if the government came out and said, "we have proof that this was an intentional attack by a foreign power"; then it would not be a matter of public health but one of defensive warfare and people would've been of a different mindset.

(01-26-2023, 11:57 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 10:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: How can you say it's satire when it perfectly represents Ronster?

How many more people have too die suddenly before you admit, this one time, right here on this subject, you are wrong. 

You ignore and/or malign everything that has been presented to you. I got news for you pal, your human just like me. No better no worse, and on that human level , YES; even you are fallible. 

You guys keep saying this and yet the statistics don't support your position. You are suffering from the Object Permanence fallacy, ie now that you know sudden deaths happen you are looking for them. Just because you didn't know they were there before doesn't mean they weren't, you just have an awareness of them now. The change is you not them.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2023, 12:33 PM by Lucky2Last. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-27-2023, 07:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I do agree that early on we all missed a bunch. I was square in the "It's just a mild flu" camp until the beds started filling up.

It's not just that the beds filled up, but, rereading everything, you were almost flippant in your belief that there was any threat, so your reality shattered. I mean, from a psychological perspective, you had a belief that the authorities were lying, then, when you saw that it was a real threat, not only did you turn away from that opinion, but it seems like you went all in on believing the authorities so as not to repeat that same mistake. Which is perfectly fine and reasonable in some situations. I just think it's irresponsible to be unquestioningly compliant (not saying that's you).

Not trying to cast any stones here, but you don't think that could have contributed to the way you approached this moving forward? There was a cognitive dissonance that you would have faced during this time and one of the ways to alleviate that discomfort is to simply change your beliefs, and in this case, it could be to go all in on following the authority. I'm just spitballing here... I guess I don't really expect you to be able to diagnose that yourself, so it's probably a fool's errand to even bring it up. 

I didn't have the same experience, so I have always just tried to create a paradigm based on the data and the results of the data. I was calling it in June 2020 (around page 150) that I think it hadn't gotten here yet, and we were still going to have to reimplement social distancing and masking when it arrived to keep our hospitals from overcrowding. I was encouraging people to take the threat seriously and social distance and avoid crowded places. That was a month before our numbers started spiking. Based on the trajectory, there was always the risk of hospital beds filling up, so my reality didn't shatter. It was expected. 

I never denied the efficacy of the vaccines, because the data showed promising results. I recommended it to my obese and elderly friends, especially early on, since almost all deaths occurred in that group (ah, 2020... when I could just look up age-specific information, before they started obfuscating the data). And, even still, a lot of those deaths had other contributing causes, such as multiple comorbidities or immuno-comprised. However, by the time the vaccine got rolled out, they started restricting access to information that would tell us which groups should get vaccinated, and that's when I went from being pro-science to what you more progressive folks would call anti-science. I only care about the pursuit of truth, so I get mad when I feel like that's being intentionally hidden from me. If I have a bias, it will be rooted in that somewhere. 

My issue has always been with how we are taking a one-size-fits-all approach to handling this disease, which comes across countercultural, because we have a one-size-fits-all society. That just doesn't work. From the way we did antibody testing, to the way we implemented lockdowns, to the way hospitals were tracking and categorizing deaths, to the way we rolled out vaccines. Actually, we started fine on that last note... priority to the elderly and healthcare workers that wanted it. After that, it went haywire. Almost none of it has been logical or forward thinking. I believe the reason for that is predominantly profit driven. Either for media to get more clicks or government to get more power or corporations to make more money. That's the other thing that makes me mad. So again... potential area of bias. Side note: Anywhere you have a strong feeling about something is a potential area of bias.

Anyways, still just slowly rereading through this thread. Like I said, it's not like I was perfect. Nobody was, but I clearly have been ahead of the curve and have a good understanding of what was happening... despite not being an expert.

(01-27-2023, 10:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-27-2023, 08:09 AM)copycat Wrote: I stand by my original assessment that this was released by the Chinese government on purpose to upset the global economy due to failing/falling yen vs the USD and Trump holding their feet to the fire over trade imbalances.

I don't know that the origin was such, but I have no trouble believing that this was bio-warfare or a bio-war related accidental release. I postulated somewhere back there where L2L is reading that the population's response the roll out of the vaccine might have been much different if the government came out and said, "we have proof that this was an intentional attack by a foreign power"; then it would not be a matter of public health but one of defensive warfare and people would've been of a different mindset.

(01-26-2023, 11:57 PM)Ronster Wrote: How many more people have too die suddenly before you admit, this one time, right here on this subject, you are wrong. 

You guys keep saying this and yet the statistics don't support your position. You are suffering from the Object Permanence fallacy, ie now that you know sudden deaths happen you are looking for them. Just because you didn't know they were there before doesn't mean they weren't, you just have an awareness of them now. The change is you not them.

Really? I’ll give you a chance to delete this straight up nonsense.

(01-27-2023, 10:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-27-2023, 08:09 AM)copycat Wrote: I stand by my original assessment that this was released by the Chinese government on purpose to upset the global economy due to failing/falling yen vs the USD and Trump holding their feet to the fire over trade imbalances.

(01-26-2023, 11:57 PM)Ronster Wrote: How many more people have too die suddenly before you admit, this one time, right here on this subject, you are wrong. 

It's not just object permanence. It's also that the media is reporting it more frequently as well. I've seen articles that make it look like another young, athlete died of suspicious circumstances, only to click the link and see they died in a car accident. People gonna make money. That said, it doesn't mean it's untrue. The data is too muddied to know anything right now. Honestly, we'd all be better served to operate like both possibilities are true for the time being.

Republican Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-TX), a member of the Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic, is demanding answers from Pfizer following viral allegations of the pharmaceutical giant deliberately engaging in gain-of-function research by intentionally mutating the Chinese coronavirus.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/...-research/

(01-27-2023, 03:10 PM)Ronster Wrote: Republican Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-TX), a member of the Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic, is demanding answers from Pfizer following viral allegations of the pharmaceutical giant deliberately engaging in gain-of-function research by intentionally mutating the Chinese coronavirus.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/...-research/

Can you tell me why this is a problem?

I'll tell you why... because he's tapdancing around calling it gain-of-function. It's one thing to speed up evolution as a predictive measure, like what we were doing with Flu. It's another to do "selective structure mutations to increase potency." His words. That's gain-of-function. If it weren't gain-of-function, why would he say, "don't' tell anybody." I mean, it's just the thing we've been doing forever, right? Why the secrecy for such and above-board procedure?

(01-27-2023, 05:37 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I'll tell you why... because he's tapdancing around calling it gain-of-function. It's one thing to speed up evolution as a predictive measure, like what we were doing with Flu. It's another to do "selective structure mutations to increase potency." His words. That's gain-of-function. If it weren't gain-of-function, why would he say, "don't' tell anybody." I mean, it's just the thing we've been doing forever, right? Why the secrecy for such and above-board procedure?

So their whole issue is what he called it? Again, why is this a problem?

(01-27-2023, 05:37 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I'll tell you why... because he's tapdancing around calling it gain-of-function. It's one thing to speed up evolution as a predictive measure, like what we were doing with Flu. It's another to do "selective structure mutations to increase potency." His words. That's gain-of-function. If it weren't gain-of-function, why would he say, "don't' tell anybody." I mean, it's just the thing we've been doing forever, right? Why the secrecy for such and above-board procedure?

Do you really need an answer to this when you read what Ronster and other RWNJs post?
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(01-27-2023, 06:29 PM)captivating Wrote:

Do you really need an answer to this when you read what Ronster and other RWNJs post?

Lol, well said. It's a shame the RWNJ in question is also a politician.