Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew is the man.

People freak out after one bad game. Yet guys like Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz who are considered franchise guys get chance after chance. I think Minshew is our guy. It's the FO's job to build around him. No QB in this league can succeed with bad protection, no running game, and no number 1 receiver, which were all the case vs. Miami. If you give Minshew those 3 things paired with Gruden's playbook, he is easily a franchise QB. He just needs to work on pocket presence and seeing the field just a little but better. He's got what it takes. He's a classic west coast rythym passer. This kind of QB has had success at the NFL level since the days of Joe Montana. I still believe in Minshew and I believe that he will prove a lot of you wrong.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-28-2020, 11:06 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: People freak out after one bad game. Yet guys like Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz who are considered franchise guys get chance after chance. I think Minshew is our guy. It's the FO's  job to build around him. No QB in this league can succeed with bad protection, no running game, and no number 1 receiver, which were all the case vs. Miami. If you give Minshew those 3 things paired with Gruden's playbook, he is easily a franchise QB. He just needs to work on pocket presence and seeing the field just a little but better. He's got what it takes. He's a classic west coast rythym passer. This kind of QB has had success at the NFL level since the days of Joe Montana. I still believe in Minshew and I believe that he will prove a lot of you wrong.

I think you may ultimately be right. I remind myself that many NFL observers feel like Kyler Murray is the next big thing and yet Minshew has slightly outplayed him. I'm not saying Minshew is going to be a better player, but it does give some perspective.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-28-2020, 10:36 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I will say it again; if Minshew ends up not being the "man", it will be a blow to this franchise and fans hopes; one the franchise can't afford. Our history of first round QB's offers no hope either.

It's honestly deflating; seeing the next gen of QB's (Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Allen, Jackson, etc.) and if Minshew isn't "it" we've missed the boat again. I don't know how Jacksonville can avoid a move to London with another ten years of losing and rebuilds.

We all should be rooting for Minshew

I won't go *this* far, but definitely if we think he is the man, and pass on QBs in the upcoming darft, and he then fails, we are absolutely cratered.

Probably the worst thing for us this past decade (-plus?) has been putting hope in a guy who wasn't 'the man', and by the time we realized we were doomed, the QB class was hot buttered backside. So, we fill the void by settling for someone who might be a franchise talent, he fails, and repeat.

If the answer isn't a resounding WE HAVE FOUND OUR GUY, go get another QB. There may be other holes on the roster that need filing, but until QB is set, you'll always be facing uphill battles to succeed.

Yes QB is so important that you should be drafting one until you find someone elite.

I’m still hoping Minshew is that guy. He has impressed me overall. We just need to see if he can make the intermediate throws.

(09-29-2020, 08:57 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 10:36 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I will say it again; if Minshew ends up not being the "man", it will be a blow to this franchise and fans hopes; one the franchise can't afford. Our history of first round QB's offers no hope either.

It's honestly deflating; seeing the next gen of QB's (Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Allen, Jackson, etc.) and if Minshew isn't "it" we've missed the boat again. I don't know how Jacksonville can avoid a move to London with another ten years of losing and rebuilds.

We all should be rooting for Minshew

I won't go *this* far, but definitely if we think he is the man, and pass on QBs in the upcoming darft, and he then fails, we are absolutely cratered.

Probably the worst thing for us this past decade (-plus?) has been putting hope in a guy who wasn't 'the man', and by the time we realized we were doomed, the QB class was hot buttered backside. So, we fill the void by settling for someone who might be a franchise talent, he fails, and repeat.

If the answer isn't a resounding WE HAVE FOUND OUR GUY, go get another QB. There may be other holes on the roster that need filing, but until QB is set, you'll always be facing uphill battles to succeed.

AKA, just because we have Minshew, we shouldn't pass on QB talent if we can fit ourselves to the pick in the draft. 

We did it in 2004 and 2005 by passing on Big Ben and Rodgers, respectively, because we had Leftwich. 

We did it in 2012 by passing on Wilson because we had Gabbert. 

Did it again in 2017 by passing on Mahomes because we had Bortles. 

And if Minshew is the QB we hope he is, I would rather have the problem of having two good QB's then none at all.

(09-28-2020, 11:06 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: People freak out after one bad game. Yet guys like Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz who are considered franchise guys get chance after chance. I think Minshew is our guy. It's the FO's  job to build around him. No QB in this league can succeed with bad protection, no running game, and no number 1 receiver, which were all the case vs. Miami. If you give Minshew those 3 things paired with Gruden's playbook, he is easily a franchise QB. He just needs to work on pocket presence and seeing the field just a little but better. He's got what it takes. He's a classic west coast rythym passer. This kind of QB has had success at the NFL level since the days of Joe Montana. I still believe in Minshew and I believe that he will prove a lot of you wrong.

This.

Bleacher Report made a list of the Top QB's under 25. Gardner is #4 on the list:

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/13...2760728584

Some people are complaining about this list, some think things like that Joe Burrow should be over Gardner. And some are complaining that Justin Herbert should be higher and that Kyler shouldn't be over Josh Allen. I think it's interesting.

(09-29-2020, 01:10 PM)mal234 Wrote: Bleacher Report made a list of the Top QB's under 25. Gardner is #4 on the list:

Some people are complaining about this list, some think things like that Joe Burrow should be over Gardner. And some are complaining that Justin Herbert should be higher and that Kyler shouldn't be over Josh Allen. I think it's interesting.

Nope. Minshew is horrible. He had a bad game against the Dolphins. 

Heaven forbid a second year QB not throw a perfect game  Rolleyes
In Dougie I Trust!

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2020, 02:05 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-29-2020, 01:14 PM)Hurricane Wrote:
(09-29-2020, 01:10 PM)mal234 Wrote: Bleacher Report made a list of the Top QB's under 25. Gardner is #4 on the list:

Nope. Minshew is horrible. He had a bad game against the Dolphins. 

Heaven forbid a second year QB not throw a perfect game  Rolleyes

It will be interesting to see how many of the QB's on this list will rank in the top 10 in the League 2 years from now.  I see one who already is now (Lamar).  I think Kyler could get there.  Allen has been playing out of his mind, but I need to see more.   I think Burrow definitely has a chance. I love Minshew's moxie, but see his talent ceiling more like a David Garrard.  I like him, but...

Time will tell.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Murray over Allen? lol that list is a joke.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2020, 04:39 PM by mal234.)

(09-28-2020, 04:20 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

I think you may ultimately be right. I remind myself that many NFL observers feel like Kyler Murray is the next big thing and yet Minshew has slightly outplayed him. I'm not saying Minshew is going to be a better player, but it does give some perspective.

Not only last year, but in some ways this year Gardner is outplaying Kyler. Kyler does have more win on this season and more rushing TD's and a better QBR this year, 75.5 to Gardner's 68.7. Though, him and Gardner have the same amount of wins in total as starters (They both have seven wins). 

Gardner has a better passer rating, more touchdowns and less interceptions this season. Gardner's passer rating for the season is over 100 (101.3), while Kyler's is 79.7 And that is factoring in Gardner's performance against Miami. Kyler has more interceptions than he does passing TDs. (4TDS, 5INT), while Gardner has twice as many TD's to interceptions (6TDs 3INTS). And Gardner has one more passing yard than Kyler so far, lol (787 to Kyler's 786).

They each have the edge over each other in some areas, and some ways Gardner has been better. When you look at how they have performed/their stats they really are right there with each other. But some people like to act like Kyler is way better than Gardner and that Gardner can't be a franchise guy.

(09-29-2020, 02:20 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Murray over Allen? lol that list is a joke.

Maybe in the future he might end up having the better career, but I agree he shouldn't be ranked above Josh Allen right now. Josh has had a better career so far and is doing really well right now. But the media loves to hype up Kyler and I can't say I'm surprised they put him over Josh Allen. 

Looking at the rest of the list, I could see Justin Herbert moving up it at some point, maybe during this season. I have liked his poise since being thrown into the fire at short notice. And I think that Sam Darnold is ranked too high. I would currently put Daniel Jones over him.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2020, 11:23 PM by mal234.)

Gardner was featured in this week's addition of mic'd up during the Dolphins game. That game ended up not going well for the Jags and wasn't very eventual, but I did see some interesting things in this video. First of all Gardner really seems to love his teammates. He geuniely cares about them and likes encouraging them, seeing do well. Also in spite of his and the team's performance, he actually seemed pretty calm during this game. He didn't seem rattled when he was mic'd up even after the Jags went down big again.

He even told Jay Gruden that he felt good in the pocket. Even though on television his performance was a bit off. He also really enjoyed the running games and likes that the team was going with that. He mentioned that multiple times including to Jay Gruden. He actually came across a bit poised in this video, though his performance on television didn't come across as that. Hopefully, this was just a rougher performance by him and the team and they will bounce back sooner than later. I think his attitude and effort can help make that happen.

Also in this video (and I just mentioned this in another thread) he mentioned to Dede how his connection with Dede in training camp regarding targets/receptions was 15/15. Which makes me wonder why he didn't really go to Dede more in this game, instead of Chris who had a rough game. Maybe he will go to Dede more in upcoming games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzoWjo2nta8

What you're seeing is leadership. We haven't really had that at the QB position in a loooooong time.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-30-2020, 04:53 PM)hb1148 Wrote: What you're seeing is leadership. We haven't really had that at the QB position in a loooooong time.

I would agree with that.  I think that is why people like him, because they recognize that.  But how much talent does he have?  Especially as teams get more tape on him and scheme him to his weaknesses?  Time will tell.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(09-30-2020, 05:02 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 04:53 PM)hb1148 Wrote: What you're seeing is leadership. We haven't really had that at the QB position in a loooooong time.

I would agree with that.  I think that is why people like him, because they recognize that.  But how much talent does he have?  Especially as teams get more tape on him and scheme him to his weaknesses?  Time will tell.

That will come down to coaching in my opinion.  Miami learned from tape and pushed him. They will need to adjust.  We will see. The defense is going to be a drag just like how the offense was in 2017 and 2018.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-30-2020, 06:31 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 05:02 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I would agree with that.  I think that is why people like him, because they recognize that.  But how much talent does he have?  Especially as teams get more tape on him and scheme him to his weaknesses?  Time will tell.

That will come down to coaching in my opinion.  Miami learned from tape and pushed him. They will need to adjust.  We will see. The defense is going to be a drag just like how the offense was in 2017 and 2018.

The offense was 6 in total offense and 5th in scoring offense in 2017 so you must be referring to something else my good man.
[Image: giphy.gif]

The kid is the best QB on our roster if he is or or not the man we may see this year. I am happy he throws spirals. We will have a lot of picks in next years draft and plenty of time to sit down and decide this question with the luxury of a lot more data points. Until then ... Don't Panic...Wink
A new broom always sweeps clean.

2017 wasn't that good. Looks better in the rankings cause the defense gave so many turnovers and short fields.

2017 wasn't terrible but I also believe we were 1st or 2nd in most offensive drives as well. Lead in Rushing that year too.

(09-30-2020, 09:02 PM)icey14 Wrote: 2017 wasn't that good. Looks better in the rankings cause the defense gave so many turnovers and short fields.

2017 wasn't terrible but I also believe we were 1st or 2nd in most offensive drives as well.  Lead in Rushing that year too.

Thanks for the assist. The offense was  up and down and you didn't know what you were going to get.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.