Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew is the man.

I think Minshew needs to play close to how he played this week all season for us to not go for a QB in next years draft. I hope he manages it, I like the guy, and with Gruden and a RB with vision, it seems as though he finally has some pieces to work with.
I do agree that 175 yards isn't a bunch, but if you score TDs that's all that matters... Lets see if they can keep this up, even after some teams gameplan for the way we play.
Either way, it was a fun game to watch! Lets hope we can keep it up, the next 6 weeks we play fairly beatable teams, maybe we were all wrong, and the team can have a respectable (losing) season. Cant wait for the next one!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-15-2020, 12:16 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 10:48 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: Common sense, something you may or may not have. 

I'll give you a homework assignment. You see how many pictures, photographic evidence of Dave Caldwell near or around players. And compare it to, let's just say Tom Coughlin.

You need to figure out what common sense means. What you are using as evidence, is complete speculation. Are you in the building everyday to see how much interaction Caldwell has with the players? Neither of us know for sure if he never sees them or if he has long discussions with the guys about their families, their hopes and their dreams. For you to simply speculate that he never sees them is just conjecture. 

All I know is that it's part of a GM's job to make players feel wanted by the organization and convince them that Jacksonville is the team they need to be playing for. He has failed on this level. 

Also, once Coughlin was fired, the dissent continued. If the "tumor" was completely removed, why did we still have players who were critical of the organization? If it was all Coughlin's fault, wouldn't the problem be solved, once he was fired? There's more to the story than the blame being 100% on Coughlin. He was definitely a HUGE problem, but it can't be completely his fault.

It is? How so? How much contact do players have with the GM beyond contract signings? Why don't we hear anymore grumblings of dissent now that the Tom Coughlin Victims Group is gone from the locker room? 

I get it, you don't like Dave Caldwell, but you're laying too much blame for the Coughlin regime at his feet.

(09-14-2020, 05:02 PM)airjoeo Wrote: You guys need a reality check.  One big game from Minshew doesn't mean anything.  There is a reason he was a late 6th round pick.  Theres a reason he went 13-31 vs Atlanta last season,  14-29 vs NO,  and 15-32 vs Cincy.  There is also a reason he lost his job to Foles somehow and he is awful, you can't even use the big contract excuse for Foles... Guy literally lost his job to Trub this past few weeks.  

Best case scenario is to get the 1st overall pick this year, we aren't going anywhere this year with the roster anyways, no point of winning meaningless games since there is no chance for the playoffs regardless.

Luck brought so many Lombardis to Indynoplace, right? one guy ain't winning diddly-poo, if I may borrow a line from coach Mora.

(09-14-2020, 05:02 PM)airjoeo Wrote: You guys need a reality check.  One big game from Minshew doesn't mean anything.  There is a reason he was a late 6th round pick.  Theres a reason he went 13-31 vs Atlanta last season,  14-29 vs NO,  and 15-32 vs Cincy.  There is also a reason he lost his job to Foles somehow and he is awful, you can't even use the big contract excuse for Foles... Guy literally lost his job to Trub this past few weeks.  

Best case scenario is to get the 1st overall pick this year, we aren't going anywhere this year with the roster anyways, no point of winning meaningless games since there is no chance for the playoffs regardless.

You're like that old friend that stayed in everybody's hometown who would rather see his ambitous friends fail so they're miserable like you, rather than wanting them to succeed. 

You're bringing up bad games he had from his ROOKIE YEAR. One of the games was only lost by a possession, the other was a decisive victory. You can't expect any QB to play perfect every week. Its gonna be hilarious when you eat your words about this kid and about our team, hater.

(09-15-2020, 08:50 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:

You're like that old friend that stayed in everybody's hometown who would rather see his ambitous friends fail so they're miserable like you, rather than wanting them to succeed. 

You're bringing up bad games he had from his ROOKIE YEAR. One of the games was only lost by a possession, the other was a decisive victory. You can't expect any QB to play perfect every week. Its gonna be hilarious when you eat your words about this kid and about our team, hater.

And even with those, he still had the best rookie year of any Jags QB, the best rookie QB year of last year, and one of the best rookie QB seasons in NFL history

Not saying Minshew is comparable, but in what round was Brady drafted?

(09-15-2020, 09:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Not saying Minshew is comparable, but in what round was Brady drafted?

Right. At the end of the day, draft position means nothing. What matters is how you perform when you get your shot.

Kurt Warner: Undrafted
Romo: Undrafted
Brady: 6th Round
Warren Moon: Undrafted

Antonio Gates: Undrafted
Jeff Saturday: Undrafted
James Harrison: Undrafted
Arian Foster: Undrafted
Kyle Williams: 5th Round
Robert Mathis: 5th Round
Terrell Davis: 6th Round
Shannon Sharpe: 7th Round

That's just a short list of late round/undrafted wildly successful NFL players. Sure the odds of a top pick having a great career are higher, but it doesn't matter where they're taken.

(09-15-2020, 06:02 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 01:25 AM)Upper Wrote: Any YPA is going to look good when you complete 95% of your passes. Our yards per completion are the second lowest in the league. Dink and dunk was a fair representation.

Yards per attempt is a much better yardstick of success than yards per completion. 

They are both useful, but YPA definitely lies when 95% of the A's result in a C.

Minshew took what the defensive gave him and didn't force anything

(09-15-2020, 10:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Minshew took what the defensive gave him and didn't force anything

Agreed and he did a very good job of it, but the Colts run one of the softest cover 2 schemes in the league. Other teams will not give us nearly as much of the easy stuff as the Colts allowed.

(09-15-2020, 10:02 AM)Upper Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 10:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Minshew took what the defensive gave him and didn't force anything

Agreed and he did a very good job of it, but the Colts run one of the softest cover 2 schemes in the league. Other teams will not give us nearly as much of the easy stuff as the Colts allowed.

Lol, funny how before the game you were praising their D but now that Minshew picked it apart its one of the softest

man yall are making this hard. The kid has shown great signs....BUT....i could care less if he is our QB or any other teams. I look at his progress and the staff and players around him. If we build around him and he keeps improving then we can succeed. if not then STOP COMPARING HIM TO COMPLETELY DIFF PPL AND SITUATIONS. Love the fire ppl but think and relax.

Even in the list someone made, how many had dominating careers or didnt have an great team surrounding them with other future hof type players. I want it, i REALLY WANT IT, but jesus man. calm down its wk 1. hit me midseason

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(09-15-2020, 10:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 10:02 AM)Upper Wrote: Agreed and he did a very good job of it, but the Colts run one of the softest cover 2 schemes in the league. Other teams will not give us nearly as much of the easy stuff as the Colts allowed.

Lol, funny how before the game you were praising their D but now that Minshew picked it apart its one of the softest

First of all I don't think I did praise their defense. Second, you can be a good defense that is still schemed to play a keep everything in front of you style like the Colts do.

(09-15-2020, 06:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 12:16 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You need to figure out what common sense means. What you are using as evidence, is complete speculation. Are you in the building everyday to see how much interaction Caldwell has with the players? Neither of us know for sure if he never sees them or if he has long discussions with the guys about their families, their hopes and their dreams. For you to simply speculate that he never sees them is just conjecture. 

All I know is that it's part of a GM's job to make players feel wanted by the organization and convince them that Jacksonville is the team they need to be playing for. He has failed on this level. 

Also, once Coughlin was fired, the dissent continued. If the "tumor" was completely removed, why did we still have players who were critical of the organization? If it was all Coughlin's fault, wouldn't the problem be solved, once he was fired? There's more to the story than the blame being 100% on Coughlin. He was definitely a HUGE problem, but it can't be completely his fault.

It is? How so? How much contact do players have with the GM beyond contract signings? Why don't we hear anymore grumblings of dissent now that the Tom Coughlin Victims Group is gone from the locker room? 

I get it, you don't like Dave Caldwell, but you're laying too much blame for the Coughlin regime at his feet.

I have no idea how much contact the GM has with players. None of us do. That was my point. Why don't we hear any more dissenters? Because they are hopefully all gone. I totally disagree with calling them the "Tom Coughlin Victims Group" though. They were still complaining after he was gone, so that means he must not have been 100% of the problem. 

Too much blame? I already said that the majority of the blame was Coughlin's fault (probably a good 75-80%.) I'm just not convinced Caldwell was completely blameless as others seem to profess.

The Janitor could've been shooting Ramsey dirty looks, better get rid of him too just to be safe.

It’s not lying. It shows hyper efficiency. If you dink and dunk you better be accurate to be effective.

(09-15-2020, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 06:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It is? How so? How much contact do players have with the GM beyond contract signings? Why don't we hear anymore grumblings of dissent now that the Tom Coughlin Victims Group is gone from the locker room? 

I have no idea how much contact the GM has with players. None of us do. That was my point. Why don't we hear any more dissenters? Because they are hopefully all gone. I totally disagree with calling them the "Tom Coughlin Victims Group" though. They were still complaining after he was gone, so that means he must not have been 100% of the problem. 

Too much blame? I already said that the majority of the blame was Coughlin's fault (probably a good 75-80%.) I'm just not convinced Caldwell was completely blameless as others seem to profess.
Look. Caldwells a stud. Just look at the Jags record since he took over. Stud.

(09-15-2020, 11:13 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I have no idea how much contact the GM has with players. None of us do. That was my point. Why don't we hear any more dissenters? Because they are hopefully all gone. I totally disagree with calling them the "Tom Coughlin Victims Group" though. They were still complaining after he was gone, so that means he must not have been 100% of the problem. 

Only a simpleton evaluates a GM based on a team's record without considering the nuances.

Look at the Jags record since Minshew has been our QB and things start looking up. Its time to move on from the past and look forward to our future.

(09-15-2020, 11:13 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I have no idea how much contact the GM has with players. None of us do. That was my point. Why don't we hear any more dissenters? Because they are hopefully all gone. I totally disagree with calling them the "Tom Coughlin Victims Group" though. They were still complaining after he was gone, so that means he must not have been 100% of the problem. 

I do think Caldwell has an eye for talent, especially in the mid-late rounds. He did build a talented roster that almost went to the Super Bowl. That being said, his GM skills as far as player retention and management are poor. So it's a bit of a mixed bag. I wouldn't use the term "stud" to describe him as a GM though.

Let's wait until the end of the season to name him the second coming of Brady or not good enough to be a franchise QB. I want to see him with a second season under his belt before I judge anything. That said, if he keeps this up, then he puts to rest the idea of Jacksonville being in the market for a QB. His performance was truly impressive.