Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(10-25-2020, 08:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-24-2020, 07:16 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah because if Fields and Sewell both hit Fields is significantly more valuable and needed

Sewell is miles better than Fields is at there respected positions. Taking Fields over Sewell would be something Gene Smith would do. He liked drafting need over talent like you do.

this argument doesn't work when the other high end talent is literally the most valuable position in the sport and the one that drives wins and success.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What good does it make to have a Boselli if you have a Gabbert, Bortles etc throwing the football? I'd take Watson over Boselli
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(10-25-2020, 11:32 AM)newporttom Wrote: Just saw a scouting report on Wilson that implied he didn't have great arm strength and was a game mananger.  If that's the case (and I don't know that it's true), than top of second round makes more sense..

It's true. He doesn't have great arm strength, but being a game manager isn't necessarily a bad thing. He protects the ball and rarely turns it over. He makes smart plays. That can work in some systems. You just need a very good defense, which is something we definitely don't have. I like the kid, but I don't think he would fit in our team as we are currently constructed.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2020, 03:41 PM by Upper.)

This fanbase is highly jaded because we've had HoF caliber players at LT and RB and we've had like 2 or 3 pro bowl caliber seasons of QB in our entire history.

A pro bowl caliber QB will win you a lot more games than a HoF LT will. Just look at all of the Joe Thomas, Tyron Smith, Jake Long etc elite elite LTs that are ringless.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2020, 03:45 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-25-2020, 03:00 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 08:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Sewell is miles better than Fields is at there respected positions. Taking Fields over Sewell would be something Gene Smith would do. He liked drafting need over talent like you do.

this argument doesn't work when the other high end talent is literally the most valuable position in the sport and the one that drives wins and success.

QB's won't make any difference when your defense is so bad, it's averaging 30 points given up per game. The only defense as bad as ours in the NFL is Dallas. Gimme a true franchise LT that will be here over the next 10 years, over a QB who already has trouble going through his progressions and gets nervous feet when defenders are within 10 yards of him. If he's that undisciplined, how will he react when he's trailing by double digits every game? Will one QB turn this franchise around in 2021? Of course not! We have way too many massive holes. We need to build for the next 3 years. Don't reach for a QB. That would be asinine. Build the both sides of the lines and the secondary and then concentrate on a QB next year, where he can come in with a stable team around him. Rookie QB's perform much better when they don't have to face so much pressure. Don't pass on what appears to be close to a sure thing (Sewell.)

(10-25-2020, 03:36 AM)newporttom Wrote: I have a lot better feelings after the Ohio State game.  Before I was like 'we are going to go 1-15 and still not get Trevor Lawrence'".  Now I'm ok if we get Fields.  He can be our Watson.

How good is Watson? Realistically he's just an average starter as we've seen without Nuk.  His numbers are comparable to Minshews, aren't they?

This is also my concern with Fields that he plays for such a good team that it's very hard to know how good he is and how much is receivers always being open.

(10-25-2020, 03:33 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: What good does it make to have a Boselli if you have a Gabbert, Bortles etc throwing the football? I'd take Watson over Boselli

Because this is not a playoff team even if we had Watson. If he were here, we'd still be losers. We're not building for 2021. We're so far off, we're building for 2022/2023. Take the sure thing. Build a good team for a rookie QB to come into. If that means waiting until 2022 or 2023 to find a QB, so be it. I want the right one. There is no DeShaun Watson in the next draft anyway. There is Lawrence and a bunch of question marks. You don't draft question marks in the first round. That is a Gene Smith move.

(10-25-2020, 03:47 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 03:36 AM)newporttom Wrote: I have a lot better feelings after the Ohio State game.  Before I was like 'we are going to go 1-15 and still not get Trevor Lawrence'".  Now I'm ok if we get Fields.  He can be our Watson.

How good is Watson? Realistically he's just an average starter as we've seen without Nuk.  His numbers are comparable to Minshews, aren't they?

This is also my concern with Fields that he plays for such a good team that it's very hard to know how good he is and how much is receivers always being open.

Agreed, he is an average QB at best.  He still has 2 first round WRs and a good proven veteran WR corps and one of the better LTs in the league

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2020, 04:01 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(10-25-2020, 03:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 03:33 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: What good does it make to have a Boselli if you have a Gabbert, Bortles etc throwing the football? I'd take Watson over Boselli

Because this is not a playoff team even if we had Watson. If he were here, we'd still be losers. We're not building for 2021. We're so far off, we're building for 2022/2023. Take the sure thing. Build a good team for a rookie QB to come into. If that means waiting until 2022 or 2023 to find a QB, so be it. I want the right one. There is no DeShaun Watson in the next draft anyway. There is Lawrence and a bunch of question marks. You don't draft question marks in the first round. That is a Gene Smith move.

And Sewell is a sure thing? like Joeckel? Gallery? Jason Smith?

No one said we would be a playoff team with Watson but we would be set at QB.

QB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LT

Also, Watson, Mahomes, Herbert were far from a sure thing too.

Pretty much no one is a sure thing. You draft your LT you could still end up with a clown at QB in 2022 or 2023 draft.
We all want the right one, doesn't mean we will get him for sure by waiting.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2020, 04:11 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

Also. I am just saying mostly about the Boselli vs Watson thing, I am not saying reach for a QB, but if the new (I hope it's new a one) GM believes in Fields or Lance and he has to take them with our first pick and that means passing on Sewell I am ok with that.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2020, 04:13 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-25-2020, 03:57 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 03:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Because this is not a playoff team even if we had Watson. If he were here, we'd still be losers. We're not building for 2021. We're so far off, we're building for 2022/2023. Take the sure thing. Build a good team for a rookie QB to come into. If that means waiting until 2022 or 2023 to find a QB, so be it. I want the right one. There is no DeShaun Watson in the next draft anyway. There is Lawrence and a bunch of question marks. You don't draft question marks in the first round. That is a Gene Smith move.

And Sewell is a sure thing? like Joeckel? Gallery? Jason Smith?

QB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LT

Pretty much no one is a sure thing. You draft your LT you could still end up with a clown at QB in 2022 or 2023 draft.

As close to a sure thing as you can get. Joeckel was never a sure thing. I HATED that pick. At that time, the coaching staff at Texas A&M recruited the same type of OT's over and over. They all displayed good feet and quickness, but they all lack functional strength and get torn apart by bull rushers. Anybody that watched college football at the time should've known that. Gallery was the same way. I don't even remember Jason Smith, so he couldn't have been too hyped. 

We wouldn't be set with Watson. By the time we had a team around him, he'd be broken. Besides, we're not trading for Watson and there is no Watson clone in the 2021 draft. 

QB is not always greater than LT. You have to look at the players as individuals. Sewell is hands down, the #2 player in the next draft. Period! You always draft BAP. Drafting for need will kill a franchise. We're already near death. 

We may not find the right one in 2022 or 2023, but it's better than reaching on some overrated QB in 2021 and passing on what appears to be the best LT to enter the draft in many years.
You always take the best player. Never reach.

(10-25-2020, 04:11 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Also. I am just saying mostly about the Boselli vs Watson thing, I am not saying reach for a QB, but if the new (I hope it's new a one) GM believes in Fields or Lance and he has to take them with our first pick and that means passing on Sewell I am ok with that.

Then that means we hired an idiot as the new GM.

(10-25-2020, 04:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 03:57 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: And Sewell is a sure thing? like Joeckel? Gallery? Jason Smith?

QB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LT

As close to a sure thing as you can get. Joeckel was never a sure thing. I HATED that pick. At that time, the coaching staff at Texas A&M recruited the same type of OT's over and over. They all displayed good feet and quickness, but they all lack functional strength and get torn apart by bull rushers. Anybody that watched college football at the time should've known that. Gallery was the same way. I don't even remember Jason Smith, so he couldn't have been too hyped. 

We wouldn't be set with Watson. By the time we had a team around him, he'd be broken. Besides, we're not trading for Watson and there is no Watson clone in the 2021 draft. 

QB is not always greater than LT. You have to look at the players as individuals. Sewell is hands down, the #2 player in the next draft. Period! You always draft BAP. Drafting for need will kill a franchise. We're already near death. 

We may not find the right one in 2022 or 2023, but it's better than reaching on some overrated QB in 2021 and passing on what appears to be the best LT to enter the draft in many years.

(10-25-2020, 04:11 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Also. I am just saying mostly about the Boselli vs Watson thing, I am not saying reach for a QB, but if the new (I hope it's new a one) GM believes in Fields or Lance and he has to take them with our first pick and that means passing on Sewell I am ok with that.

So you already know Lance and Fields will be mediocre and Sewell a pro bowler? I am guessing you would have said the same thing if you were a Browns fan and they would have drafted Mahomes #1 and passed on Garrett...

(10-25-2020, 04:41 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 04:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As close to a sure thing as you can get. Joeckel was never a sure thing. I HATED that pick. At that time, the coaching staff at Texas A&M recruited the same type of OT's over and over. They all displayed good feet and quickness, but they all lack functional strength and get torn apart by bull rushers. Anybody that watched college football at the time should've known that. Gallery was the same way. I don't even remember Jason Smith, so he couldn't have been too hyped. 

So you already know Lance and Fields will be mediocre and Sewell a pro bowler? I am guessing you would have said the same thing if you were a Browns fan and they would have drafted Mahomes #1 and passed on Garrett...

I watch a lot of college football. A lot. I just call'em how I see them. I don't see anything that makes me think Fields translates to the NFL other than the athleticism. Lance is a one year starter in a tiny school. That's waaaaaaaaaay to risky to take him in round 1. I really like what I see in Sewell. Is he a pro bowler? Maybe. I don't know, but given what I've seen from him in college, I believe he will be very good. Isn't that what evaluations are about? Watching them in college and seeing how they might translate?

(10-25-2020, 05:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 04:41 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: So you already know Lance and Fields will be mediocre and Sewell a pro bowler? I am guessing you would have said the same thing if you were a Browns fan and they would have drafted Mahomes #1 and passed on Garrett...

I watch a lot of college football. A lot. I just call'em how I see them. I don't see anything that makes me think Fields translates to the NFL other than the athleticism. Lance is a one year starter in a tiny school. That's waaaaaaaaaay to risky to take him in round 1. I really like what I see in Sewell. Is he a pro bowler? Maybe. I don't know, but given what I've seen from him in college, I believe he will be very good. Isn't that what evaluations are about? Watching them in college and seeing how they might translate?
Then who’s the QB next year? You can’t trot Minshew out there as the starter.

(10-25-2020, 04:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 03:57 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: And Sewell is a sure thing? like Joeckel? Gallery? Jason Smith?

QB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LT

For the 1000th time drafting should always never combination of both, not one or the other

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2020, 11:23 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-25-2020, 07:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 05:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I watch a lot of college football. A lot. I just call'em how I see them. I don't see anything that makes me think Fields translates to the NFL other than the athleticism. Lance is a one year starter in a tiny school. That's waaaaaaaaaay to risky to take him in round 1. I really like what I see in Sewell. Is he a pro bowler? Maybe. I don't know, but given what I've seen from him in college, I believe he will be very good. Isn't that what evaluations are about? Watching them in college and seeing how they might translate?
Then who’s the QB next year? You can’t trot Minshew out there as the starter.

Who knows? Does it really matter though? With a defense this bad, we'll probably be last in the division again, no matter who we trot out there. We need to add an edge pass rusher, a 3 technique, NT depth, at least one more LB, at least one more starting CB and 2 new starting Safeties. Not to mention that we need to work on the O-Line as well.

(10-25-2020, 08:41 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 04:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As close to a sure thing as you can get. Joeckel was never a sure thing. I HATED that pick. At that time, the coaching staff at Texas A&M recruited the same type of OT's over and over. They all displayed good feet and quickness, but they all lack functional strength and get torn apart by bull rushers. Anybody that watched college football at the time should've known that. Gallery was the same way. I don't even remember Jason Smith, so he couldn't have been too hyped. 

For the 1000th time drafting should always never combination of both, not one or the other

What? This sentence makes no sense and what are you referring to?

(10-25-2020, 11:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Who knows? Does it really matter though? With a defense this bad, we'll probably be last in the division again, no matter who we trot out there. We need to add an edge pass rusher, a 3 technique, NT depth, at least one more LB, at least one more starting CB and 2 new starting Safeties. Not to mention that we need to work on the O-Line as well.

You want the team to be good enough that when the next can't miss stud comes around we won't have a shot to get him. And even if we get close but not quite close enough like this year you don't want to try to trade up for him.

(10-25-2020, 11:28 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 11:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Who knows? Does it really matter though? With a defense this bad, we'll probably be last in the division again, no matter who we trot out there. We need to add an edge pass rusher, a 3 technique, NT depth, at least one more LB, at least one more starting CB and 2 new starting Safeties. Not to mention that we need to work on the O-Line as well.

You want the team to be good enough that when the next can't miss stud comes around we won't have a shot to get him. And even if we get close but not quite close enough like this year you don't want to try to trade up for him.

There's no trading up for Lawrence. Who ever is at #1 is definitely gonna take him. The Jets would take him in a heartbeat and the Giants would take him and send Jones packing.

(10-25-2020, 11:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 11:28 PM)Upper Wrote: You want the team to be good enough that when the next can't miss stud comes around we won't have a shot to get him. And even if we get close but not quite close enough like this year you don't want to try to trade up for him.

There's no trading up for Lawrence. Who ever is at #1 is definitely gonna take him. The Jets would take him in a heartbeat and the Giants would take him and send Jones packing.

But philosophically that's what you believe regardless of whoever the variable is.

(10-25-2020, 11:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 07:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Then who’s the QB next year? You can’t trot Minshew out there as the starter.

Who knows? Does it really matter though? With a defense this bad, we'll probably be last in the division again, no matter who we trot out there. We need to add an edge pass rusher, a 3 technique, NT depth, at least one more LB, at least one more starting CB and 2 new starting Safeties. Not to mention that we need to work on the O-Line as well.

(10-25-2020, 08:41 PM)JackCity Wrote: For the 1000th time drafting should always never combination of both, not one or the other

What? This sentence makes no sense and what are you referring to?

You said you always draft BAP. When in reality every pick is a combination of BAP and need