Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew Not The Man

(10-04-2020, 11:23 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 09:46 PM)Corriewf Wrote: I hear ya, but statistics don’t tell the whole story. Look at Bortles numbers from 2015-2017.... If you watched the game closely you could see Minshew looked panicked the entire game.

I hate to say it, but I agree. He got happy feet, held the ball too long and took unnecessary sacks when he should've thrown the ball out of bounds.

(10-04-2020, 10:43 PM)Predator Wrote: Bortles was an inaccurate pick six turnover machine. Minshew already shown more composure and control of the offense than Bortles ever had in his entire career. The game Minshew had today would be considered a great game for Bortles.

I watched him. He didn't look scared he looked rushed because are pass blocking wasn't good at all today. If our defense could play like a mediocre defense in the second half and got a couple of stops, we would probably have easily won and everyone would be talking about what a great game Minshew had.

Your setting the bar awfully low.

I'm not setting a bar. The poster tried to compare his stats with Bortles. I just put the comparison in perspective.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 12:53 AM by Predator.)

(10-04-2020, 11:15 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:08 PM)Predator Wrote: So your criticism is that he almost didn't throw the pass to a spot where the receiver could get his feet down. That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.

He put it in a perfect position in bounds to allow Chark to make a play and it must be your eyes wobbling because he threw a solid spiral. Making sure to get your feet in bounds is what receivers are paid to do.

The best QBs in history have made a living throwing passes that require their receivers to make a good play to stay in bounds or overcome a defender that has blanket coverage.

Nope no spinning, it should have been one of the easiest TDs of Minshew's career and instead he forced Chark to make a semi highlight reel catch.
It made Chark have to slow down a step but he didn't have to jump or stretch and the ball made it to him in bounds. NFL receivers are expected to make that catch.

In reality Chark over ran the route. He had no reason to allow his momentum to almost take him out of the back of endzone. If he had just pulled up before he got so close to the back line, the ball would have hit him in the numbers with his feet easily in bounds. Receivers are responsible for knowing where they are at on the field. Minshew threw it in bounds. It was Chark that almost ran himself out of bounds and forced the tiptoe catch.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 01:07 AM by Predator.)

(10-05-2020, 12:24 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:34 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yup, sometimes players simply need time to develop.

Today was Minshew's 16th game started (17th played). So going by that you can say he just finished his first full season game wise. His numbers are 391-617 for 4409 passing yards, 29 TDs, 10 INTs with a 7-10 record. I counted the loss from week 1 last season, because I included his stats from that game as well. Even though he didn't start, but pretty much played the entire game.

After some of the [BLEEP] show QB play this team has had to deal with. There shouldn't be a single person in this fan base that wouldn't be very excited about their QB after a first year like that. Especially when there's a lot of people who think the team is void of talent. And this isn't the case of garbage time stats like Bortles' 4.4k yards and 35 TD season. These games are actually competitive (besides the Defense this season) and typically are coming right down to the final minutes of the games.

It’s was 28 - 7 by the end of the 3rd quarter vs Miami...it was 27 - 13 today against the Bengals at the end of the 3rd quarter. 

A two plus score lead going into the 4th quarter is certainly indicative of garbage time stats...

It was 27 to 16 at the end of 3. Sitting on just an 11 point lead with an entire quarter left is far from garbage time. If the defense could manage just one stop in the fourth and not allow the Bengals twice the time of possession in that quarter we would have had a very realistic chance of winning.

(10-05-2020, 12:29 AM)Predator Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:23 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I hate to say it, but I agree. He got happy feet, held the ball too long and took unnecessary sacks when he should've thrown the ball out of bounds.

Your setting the bar awfully low.

I'm not setting a bar. The poster tried to compare his stats with Bortles. I just put the comparison in perspective.

Just to be CLEAR, no..nope..never would I compare Bortles to Minshew. I wouldn’t trust Bortles to deliver food to my front door without screwing it up. 

I was simply pointing to an extreme version of stats not matching performance. 

Minshew is looking like a very good back up QB that with a solid team would win enough games to keep your playoff hopes alive. What I was looking for this year was progression flashing some elite play. The QBs I listed above are already flashing some elite play... 

I can’t put my finger on it.. but something is off with Minshew. A fear of getting sacked...fear of throwing an interception... but fear is certainly affecting his play.

(10-05-2020, 01:06 AM)Predator Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 12:24 AM)Corriewf Wrote: It’s was 28 - 7 by the end of the 3rd quarter vs Miami...it was 27 - 13 today against the Bengals at the end of the 3rd quarter. 

A two plus score lead going into the 4th quarter is certainly indicative of garbage time stats...

It was 27 to 16 at the end of 3. Sitting on just an 11 point lead with an entire quarter left is far from garbage time. If the defense could manage just one stop in the fourth and not allow the Bengals twice the time of possession in that quarter we would have had a very realistic chance of winning.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401220157

Check the quarters at the top bud. Wink

Things get a bit easier against a prevent defense.

(10-05-2020, 01:07 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 12:29 AM)Predator Wrote: I'm not setting a bar. The poster tried to compare his stats with Bortles. I just put the comparison in perspective.

Just to be CLEAR, no..nope..never would I compare Bortles to Minshew. I wouldn’t trust Bortles to deliver food to my front door without screwing it up. 

Minshew is looking like a very good back up QB that with a solid team would win enough games to keep your playoff hopes alive. What I was looking for this year was progression flashing some elite play. The QBs I listed above are already flashing some elite play... 

I can’t put my finger on it.. but something is off with Minshew. A fear of getting sacked...fear of throwing an interception... but fear is certainly affecting his play.

He completed 68% of his passes for over 350 yrds with a line that pass protected poorly this game. You don't get that production by being scared. Considering the defense couldn't stop the Bengals from scoring, being cautious and not turning the ball over by taking sacks or forcing throws is not scared it's called not blowing any possible chance to get back into the game.

(10-05-2020, 01:28 AM)Predator Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 01:07 AM)Corriewf Wrote: Just to be CLEAR, no..nope..never would I compare Bortles to Minshew. I wouldn’t trust Bortles to deliver food to my front door without screwing it up. 

He completed 68% of his passes for over 350 yrds with a line that pass protected poorly this game. You don't get that production by being scared. Considering the defense couldn't stop the Bengals from scoring, being cautious and not turning the ball over by taking sacks or forcing throws is not scared it's called not blowing any possible chance to get back into the game.

Yeah I checked the stats and they tell a different story than what we actually watched. He held the ball way too often... and when he didn’t his receivers were having to adjust to catch what he was throwing. 

I think Minshew’s assessment of today is pretty accurate. 

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2020/10...s-bengals/

[url=https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/04/gardner-minshew-disappointed-in-his-starts-to-first-second-half-vs-bengals/][/url]

(10-05-2020, 01:47 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 01:28 AM)Predator Wrote: He completed 68% of his passes for over 350 yrds with a line that pass protected poorly this game. You don't get that production by being scared. Considering the defense couldn't stop the Bengals from scoring, being cautious and not turning the ball over by taking sacks or forcing throws is not scared it's called not blowing any possible chance to get back into the game.

Yeah I checked the stats and they tell a different story than what we actually watched. He held the ball way too often... and when he didn’t his receivers were having to adjust to catch what he was throwing. 

I think Minshew’s assessment of today is pretty accurate. 

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2020/10...s-bengals/

[url=https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/04/gardner-minshew-disappointed-in-his-starts-to-first-second-half-vs-bengals/][/url]

Minshew is always going to take on as much blame as possible when the team loses whether it is deserved or not. That is just his nature. Are there things he needs to get better at? Of course, but he only has 16 starts in his career, but people are acting like he is expected to play like an All Pro every game.

The article does not criticizes him for holding on to the ball too long, but for not holding the ball long enough. Every QB has receivers having to adjust to some throws. Guys doing that at an abnormal amount don't end up with a 68% completion rate.

And like I said, when you have a defense that can't stop the other team from scoring you are going to play more conservatively because you can't rely on them to bail you out if you make a big mistake. With just a competent defense, performances like he had today would be enough to win a lot of games.

Like the article said, for the Jags to expect to win with this defense, Minshew will have to play perfect games and that is not a reasonable week in week out expectation for a guy who just completed the 16th start of his career.

I think it is ridiculous, considering how well he has done under tough circumstances with such little experience, that people are so over critical of him to suggest we need to be looking for another QB to replace him.

It's ludicrous that some people are ready to pass on a guy who at the same point in their careers, is running circles around most HOF QBs.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 03:31 AM by Minshew Mania.)

I've got to say, a lot of ya'll are pretty melodramatic. Minshew isn't the man because he can't complete 90% of his passes every week, make nothing but perfect throws, holds the ball on too long and can't carry a team past it's defense that's on pace to being ranked worst of all time.

Lol. Let's just blow first round picks on QBs until we can get one that's better, that's a sure fire strategy for success.

Minshew is good enough to win football games, that's all that matters. If the defense didn't give up over 30 points every game, then our season looks a lot different and we're talking playoffs instead of trying to replace the few good players we actually have.

He's a sophomore player, auditioning for the biggest paycheck of his life and he plays on a team that has a wet paper bag for a defense. You're seriously faulting him for being "rattled" our offense has one turnover and its practically game over.

(10-05-2020, 01:16 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 01:06 AM)Predator Wrote: It was 27 to 16 at the end of 3. Sitting on just an 11 point lead with an entire quarter left is far from garbage time. If the defense could manage just one stop in the fourth and not allow the Bengals twice the time of possession in that quarter we would have had a very realistic chance of winning.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401220157

Check the quarters at the top bud. Wink

Things get a bit easier against a prevent defense.

Stop being a box score warrior dude... There was no prevent Defense being played.. Forming your opinion on the box score is pretty sad dude.

The quarter ended and we kicked a FG literally 20 seconds later in the start of the 4th to make it 16-27 (NFL website has the play by play which proves it for you box score warriors).. That game was far from garbage time, with basically a full quarter to play and only an 11 point lead.

The problem isn't our QB. It's our Defense that makes an 11 point lead seem like a 33 point lead because they can't/haven't stopped anybody yet through 4 weeks.

(10-05-2020, 03:29 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote: I've got to say, a lot of ya'll are pretty melodramatic. Minshew isn't the man because he can't complete 90% of his passes every week, make nothing but perfect throws, holds the ball on too long and can't carry a team past it's defense that's on pace to being ranked worst of all time.

Lol. Let's just blow first round picks on QBs until we can get one that's better, that's a sure fire strategy for success.

Minshew is good enough to win football games, that's all that matters. If the defense didn't give up over 30 points every game, then our season looks a lot different and we're talking playoffs instead of trying to replace the few good players we actually have.

He's a sophomore player, auditioning for the biggest paycheck of his life and he plays on a team that has a wet paper bag for a defense. You're seriously faulting him for being "rattled" our offense has one turnover and its practically game over.

You're being nice by calling them a wet paper bag honestly... I've seen wet bags stronger than this trash defense.

Minshew and this Offense has to score a TD on literally every single possession. Any punt or turnover this Offense has is basically gifting the other team a free 7 points because our Defense is so god awful. Easily the worst Defense in the league and we're setting records for being so bad on Defense.

We doing this again?

Just gotta give Bortles more weapons and a better defense and then we can make playoffs!

Just gotta give Minshew more weapons, better OLine and a stout defense.

Minshew isn’t Bortles by any means but the Jags can’t guess/wish for him to be the man. If they’re in the top 3-5, it should be a QB. Unless the Jags are picking #4 and the top 3 all took QBs, then they take Sewell.

(10-05-2020, 07:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: We doing this again?

Just gotta give Bortles more weapons and a better defense and then we can make playoffs!

Minshew isn’t Bortles by any means but the Jags can’t guess/wish for him to be the man. If they’re in the top 3-5, it should be a QB. Unless the Jags are picking #4 and the top 3 all took QBs, then they take Sewell.

Oh yeah we are doing it again and again. This Front Office hasn't deployed a strategy that sets up the coaching staff to have success. This head coach hasn't developed anyone. They get guys with raw talent and we watch them regress.

Sadly they are going to rinse repeat for 2021. We get one of the consensus top pick QB's and you put them in this organization and what is going to improve?

Bortles had a defense gifting him great field position and they even scored to take the pressure off him and he still was a pick 6 machine. Tired of Bortles comparisons.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 08:39 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Minshew is pretty average, which is probably good for a 6th round pick.

(10-04-2020, 08:42 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: He's too short to see over the lineman and  the football doesn't zing across the TV screen.

We need to draft shorter offensive linemen !!

(10-05-2020, 08:30 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 07:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: We doing this again?

Oh yeah we are doing it again and again. This Front Office hasn't deployed a strategy that sets up the coaching staff to have success. This head coach hasn't developed anyone. They get guys with raw talent and we watch them regress.

Sadly they are going to rinse repeat for 2021. We get one of the consensus top pick QB's and you put them in this organization and what is going to improve?

Bortles had a defense gifting him great field position and they even scored to take the pressure off him and he still was a pick 6 machine. Tired of Bortles comparisons.
Maybe I wasn’t clear.

I’m not saying they’re the same QB by any means. Minshew is much much better than Blake.

However, fans are making the same excuses for Minshew that they did for Blake. Which led to the Jags passing on Watson, Mahomes and Lamar.

This is Bortles all over again. Some saying he is the man and others saying he is garbage. I am in the camp of Happy Feet, A back up at best.

once upon a time the Jaguars were known for have a defense....
wash took care of that.

As long as phony bologna and wash woman are here, it won't really matter WHO we draft.
sad but true.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

I'm starting to see Minshew as jumpy and skittish in the pocket. That's not good. As I stated in another post, if he comes out the next game looking the same, it might be time to sit him. You can see the stress in his face and his play. Of course it doesn't help that the defense is hanging 4 or 5 TDs around his neck just to stay even. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Luton work with this crew for a half to see if his size and height make a difference.

Worry about the wrongs, if he had somewhat of defense there would not always be pressure on Minshew, he is never able to be comfortable. There is always pressure on him to bring the team back.

Get rid of Wash, which should have happened in 2017 or earlier. Also get rid of Caldwell, cause again he gets rid of good veterans like he did with Poz and Marcedez after 2017. We could have at least kept Calais Campbell and AJ Bouye for veteran leadership and they are both producing. Our cap is not that bad to where we could not have afforded to keep both of them, this year and next and correctly handoff the young secondary and dline. You see how bad we are hurting in the 2 areas we gave proven vets away for picks that were not going to add up to the value of what we had.

(10-05-2020, 08:49 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 08:30 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Oh yeah we are doing it again and again. This Front Office hasn't deployed a strategy that sets up the coaching staff to have success. This head coach hasn't developed anyone. They get guys with raw talent and we watch them regress.

Maybe I wasn’t clear.

I’m not saying they’re the same QB by any means. Minshew is much much better than Blake.

However, fans are making the same excuses for Minshew that they did for Blake. Which led to the Jags passing on Watson, Mahomes and Lamar.

Nah I am good with your point of view.  Just tired of the team.  They are wearing us out by having top to bottom failure.  No plans, no development and rolling out what they know is an obviously faulty product but do nothing to fix it.  It is sad really.  Thanks for your point of view.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.