Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

(01-13-2021, 10:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 10:50 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Has any QB Meyer has ever coached been good in the NFL?  I don't think so.  

So sure, let's hand him the keys to Trevor Lawrence.  [BLEEP] stupid.

Well, turn it around.  If Meyer can win national championships with the crappy QBs he's had, why can't he win with a really good one like Trevor Lawrence?

Because this isn't college football. It's a lot easier to win a conference or even the national title when you're coaching at an elite football program where you basically have your pick of recruits, than it is to win in the NFL. The NFL is full of college stars and they go wherever the money is. Meyer won on the college level, because he had elite players who wanted to go to OSU and Florida in order to get national exposure and improve their chances of getting drafted highly. The NFL is totally different. 

If Meyer and Baalke are hired, I believe Meyer will be out after his second year. Unfortunately, I believe we will be stuck with Baalke, because his hiring would signify that Khan only wanted a "yes man" that he was familiar with. Nobody will ever convince me that of all the GM candidates, Baalke would be the best one. He'd be dead last on my list. I certainly don't want Louis Riddick, but I would take him over Baalke. At least Riddick would be something different.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I have a great feeling about this. Meeeyer is a winner.

Kidding just more of the same. I am tired of waiting to be wrong but they just keep Gabbert, Bortles, Folesing this thing up. Why have the first overall pick of you aren't going to use it like a sea change moment that it is suppose to be.

Could always be wrong
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 11:37 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

Baalke? Really?? Khan is still clueless
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-13-2021, 10:47 AM)Brett Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 10:46 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/stat...70497?s=20

What a [BLEEP] waste

Yeah, see above. I just posted this a few minutes ago Smile

My bad. I saw your post but didn't put two and two together.

Just emphasizing the awfulness of this combo lol

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 11:48 AM by Tank Commander.)

(01-13-2021, 11:20 AM)Sibelius Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 11:09 AM)Upper Wrote: It would be awfully hard to come up with a more disappointing duo than Urban and Baalke considering the power position we were in.

I just don't get Baalke. He took a team from 13-3 to 2-14, becoming ESPN's worst sports franchise in North America in 2016.

I found this editorial written when he was named interim GM - he really doesn't sound like a good choice.

https://blackandteal.com/2020/11/30/jack...nt-baalke/

Ballke is horrible.

(01-13-2021, 11:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 10:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Well, turn it around.  If Meyer can win national championships with the crappy QBs he's had, why can't he win with a really good one like Trevor Lawrence?

Because this isn't college football. It's a lot easier to win a conference or even the national title when you're coaching at an elite football program where you basically have your pick of recruits, than it is to win in the NFL. The NFL is full of college stars and they go wherever the money is. Meyer won on the college level, because he had elite players who wanted to go to OSU and Florida in order to get national exposure and improve their chances of getting drafted highly. The NFL is totally different. 

If Meyer and Baalke are hired, I believe Meyer will be out after his second year. Unfortunately, I believe we will be stuck with Baalke, because his hiring would signify that Khan only wanted a "yes man" that he was familiar with. Nobody will ever convince me that of all the GM candidates, Baalke would be the best one. He'd be dead last on my list. I certainly don't want Louis Riddick, but I would take him over Baalke. At least Riddick would be something different.

To be fair Meyer has won everywhere.
Sure this is NFL, etc but that doesn't change the fact that Meyer has won everywhere.  Just adds uncertainty.

The QB thing is more concerning to me but my feeling is if Meyer isn't winning in two years he would quit on his own anyway.

Ballke however is another issue.  That guy is a cancer.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 11:48 AM by Brett.)

(01-13-2021, 11:42 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 10:47 AM)Brett Wrote: Yeah, see above. I just posted this a few minutes ago Smile

My bad. I saw your post but didn't put two and two together.

Just emphasizing the awfulness of this combo lol

No problem bro! We can just double confirm news lol

(01-13-2021, 11:46 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 11:20 AM)Sibelius Wrote: I just don't get Baalke. He took a team from 13-3 to 2-14, becoming ESPN's worst sports franchise in North America in 2016.

I found this editorial written when he was named interim GM - he really doesn't sound like a good choice.

https://blackandteal.com/2020/11/30/jack...nt-baalke/

Ballke is horrible.
They both are Balke is horrible and Meyer is a liar, cheater, and quitter oh and a prima dona diva we dont need

It’s concerning me at the lack of known interviews for both HC and GM we have conducted. I appreciate taking the time to find both and get it right. However look at the candidate lists from other GM and HC needy teams they are twice as long as ours and the quality of those that we have interviewed other than one or two is very poor. I think this may point towards Baalke and Urban duo. If this is the case i think it cements the thought that the Jaguars are a poorly run operation. I don’t like saying that and I hope they prove me wrong.

A lot of hate for urban here. Smh. Lets keep a positive attitude. Hope for the best regardless of who is chosen

I don't mind Meyer, but Baalke is another story.. Guy consistently underrated potential starters and overrated the cannon fodder..

With their 2nd pick in the first round, The Jaguars select..

Joe Blow.. Idaho Community State of The Criminally Insane..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(01-13-2021, 11:50 AM)Jag88 Wrote: A lot of hate for urban here. Smh. Lets keep a positive attitude. Hope for the best  regardless of who is chosen

Lot of angst from mostly Gator fans who still feel jilted when he left them. Some prejudice too against college coaches because apparently the college game is not even remotely related to the League.

We can all agree though that we hope the team is wildly successful going forward.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Baalke feels like a really poor and lazy hire. Track record is not good. Suppose he could work out here but nothing to suggest that. If it works out feels like it'd be more luck than any keen insight.

(01-13-2021, 12:08 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 11:50 AM)Jag88 Wrote: A lot of hate for urban here. Smh. Lets keep a positive attitude. Hope for the best  regardless of who is chosen

Lot of angst from mostly Gator fans who still feel jilted when he left them. Some prejudice too against college coaches because apparently the college game is not even remotely related to the League.

We can all agree though that we hope the team is wildly successful going forward.

I'm no Gators fan, but I don't like Meyer. He's quit on two jobs so far - he seems erratic to me. He just always came across to me as a bit of a weasel.

But you're  right - we all do hope the Jags can maximize the opportunities we have right now and turn things around. I was here in Dallas when the Cowboys were so awful, and then with some great player additions and Jimmy Johnson as coach they became a super power. The impact on the DFW area was awesome. I'd love to see that happen in Jacksonville now.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

One concern in particular about Urban Meyer as an NFL HC, relates to his health. With the longer hours for most NFL coaching staffs, compared to college coaching staffs, will Meyer be able to handle the cumulative work load?

(01-13-2021, 12:22 PM)D6 Wrote: One concern in particular about Urban Meyer as an NFL HC, relates to his health.  With the longer hours for most NFL coaching staffs, compared to college coaching staffs, will Meyer be able to handle the cumulative work load?

Yeah that is a legit concern, especially considering his past and tendency to be high strung.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-13-2021, 12:29 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 12:22 PM)D6 Wrote: One concern in particular about Urban Meyer as an NFL HC, relates to his health.  With the longer hours for most NFL coaching staffs, compared to college coaching staffs, will Meyer be able to handle the cumulative work load?

Yeah that is a legit concern, especially considering his past and tendency to be high strung.

high strung?? more like diva. he reminds me of a kardashian lol

(01-13-2021, 11:48 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 11:46 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Ballke is horrible.
They both are Balke is horrible and Meyer is a liar, cheater, and quitter oh and a prima dona diva we dont need

Don't hold back!  Tell us how you really feel!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 12:50 PM by JAGFAN88.)

(01-13-2021, 12:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 11:48 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: They both are Balke is horrible and Meyer is a liar, cheater, and quitter oh and a prima dona diva we dont need

Don't hold back!  Tell us how you really feel!

oh i think it would be the biggest mistake the Jags make. I dont like the Gators am a FSU fan (dont like them much now either lol) i just see meyer as a terrible idea

New Report out that The Chargers are looking at Meyer too. Lets go Chargers LOL

These are huge risks... urban with his health and possible issues with grown men in the NFL. Balke because it’s balke.... I’m ok with urban, but scared about it. I can’t believe we’re gonna stick with balke. I truly believe this team is cursed lol. We just can’t make the decisions needed to get out of this hell hole. Watch, we won’t even draft who we think we are. Why???? BecauseJaguars....
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(01-13-2021, 12:49 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 12:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Don't hold back!  Tell us how you really feel!

oh i think it would be the biggest mistake the Jags make. I dont like the Gators am a FSU fan (dont like them much now either lol) i just see meyer as a terrible idea

Taken at face value, I am so so over Meyer.  I can see good and bad in his candidacy.

Taken within the context of Pederson's sudden availability, I am completely opposed to his candidacy.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!