Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
27 years ago…the slow speed bronco chase!

"Kojak" on Sunday evenings. Who loves ya, baby?
I remember my dad howling with laughter at "All in the Family". I was too young then to get it. That show was way ahead of it's time.

On occasion my parents would put on The Lawrence Welk Show when it showed on PBS. Did you know Lawrence Welk, with his fresh off the boat accent, was born and raised in North Dakota? He didn't learn to speak English until his early 20s and was never comfortable speaking it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2021, 06:04 PM by americus 2.0.)

Ours was Dukes of Hazard and Dallas on Friday nights. We lived for that show. It's still a mystery as to how a character named Cooter was allowed on network television. But those were the days. Lol. And why Dallas? I don't know but the cliffhanger of the century was "who shot JR?" I remember hearing people talk about it after church.

Saturday morning was definitely about the cartoons.

(06-26-2021, 11:47 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 11:41 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Of course! I was the oldest so it was my responsibility. I hated being the oldest sometimes. Lol.

Wuut? I was the youngest so all the menial jobs were delegated to me.

I was the tallest and my sister was a sniveling brat so it was better for all of us if I just did whatever needed to be done. She had some chores but something as important as the antenna was my domain.

(06-26-2021, 11:41 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 11:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Did anyone else have to go outside and turn the antenna any time the channel was changed or take turns tending to the vertical hold knob?

Of course! I was the oldest so it was my responsibility. I hated being the oldest sometimes. Lol.

I've heard that TV repairmen would actually come to your house back then too.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(06-26-2021, 09:48 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 11:41 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Of course! I was the oldest so it was my responsibility. I hated being the oldest sometimes. Lol.

I've heard that TV repairmen would actually come to your house back then too.

For a couple of reasons. The first is because TVs used to be considered a piece of furniture. Nicer ones were encased in heavy wood cabinets and weighed a ton. The other is TVs were actually repairable. Containing tubes, discrete and modular components, troubleshooting and repairing a TV was relatively easy. Today they’re much more reliable and considered consumables outside of some minor repairs.

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2021, 08:48 AM by Mikey.)

(06-26-2021, 11:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Did anyone else have to go outside and turn the antenna any time the channel was changed or take turns tending to the vertical hold knob?

lookie the rich kid wut had a saddle-lite in his backyard.

(06-26-2021, 11:47 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Wuut? I was the youngest so all the menial jobs were delegated to me.

the older ones were smart enough to mess up the job so that it would be passed on to the less wise children (I firmly believe this is my son's m. o.)

Damn, I was 25 years old...
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-28-2021, 05:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 09:48 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I've heard that TV repairmen would actually come to your house back then too.

For a couple of reasons. The first is because TVs used to be considered a piece of furniture. Nicer ones were encased in heavy wood cabinets and weighed a ton. The other is TVs were actually repairable. Containing tubes, discrete and modular components, troubleshooting and repairing a TV was relatively easy. Today they’re much more reliable and considered consumables outside of some minor repairs.

TV repairmen came to your house because TVs were considered furniture?  Wouldn't that make them furniture repairmen?   

C'mon gramps.  Tell us the story about the first time you saw one in color.

(06-28-2021, 11:21 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 05:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: For a couple of reasons. The first is because TVs used to be considered a piece of furniture. Nicer ones were encased in heavy wood cabinets and weighed a ton. The other is TVs were actually repairable. Containing tubes, discrete and modular components, troubleshooting and repairing a TV was relatively easy. Today they’re much more reliable and considered consumables outside of some minor repairs.

TV repairmen came to your house because TVs were considered furniture?  Wouldn't that make them furniture repairmen?   

Hewn from old barn wood and powered by steam. They were big and heavy.

(06-29-2021, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 11:21 PM)Sneakers Wrote: TV repairmen came to your house because TVs were considered furniture?  Wouldn't that make them furniture repairmen?   

Hewn from old barn wood and powered by steam. They were big and heavy.

And a lot harder to loot during the mostly peaceful protests too.

(06-28-2021, 11:21 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 05:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: For a couple of reasons. The first is because TVs used to be considered a piece of furniture. Nicer ones were encased in heavy wood cabinets and weighed a ton. The other is TVs were actually repairable. Containing tubes, discrete and modular components, troubleshooting and repairing a TV was relatively easy. Today they’re much more reliable and considered consumables outside of some minor repairs.

It was an amazing thing just seeing the talkies, I mean, Al Jolson actually sang and we could hear it!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

[Image: 6-FC725-D5-68-B7-4-F9-E-8479-CDB241108359.jpg]
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(06-30-2021, 12:19 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [Image: 6-FC725-D5-68-B7-4-F9-E-8479-CDB241108359.jpg]

Yet the overall diagonal measure is the same as a new TV today.

(07-01-2021, 08:31 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-30-2021, 12:19 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [Image: 6-FC725-D5-68-B7-4-F9-E-8479-CDB241108359.jpg]

Darn near.

(07-01-2021, 08:31 AM)Sneakers Wrote:

And it had "stereophonic" sound.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

And a liquor cabinet, though my grandpa's was a full on wet bar.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato