Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From The Browns Preseason Game

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2021, 07:28 AM by JagFan81.)

(08-15-2021, 08:11 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 07:59 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Nice write up as usual Bullseye. 2 things for me about yesterday

1- Its preseason game 1 and vanilla playcalling and we all know that but i liked the 3-4 D. We rushed with 5 on pretty much every play which i like but also cost us. The Browns started throwing screens and it just totally takes the rush out. If the DB's are dropping deep in coverage we have 2 LB's having to cover a LOT of grass. We tried dropping a S down to help but just something i think they will be working on and hopefully start seeing it all come together at some point.

2- I was concerned about the O line and i see the same unit that massively struggled last year, and the year before. I said in the gameday thread i just no improvement or progression. They struggle with the same pass rush moves they always have, OT's getting beaten outside and inside. These are things you expect the group to spend a week fixing and see how they are trying to fix it the following Sunday.

It was great to finally see Lawrence but his first snap was a sack/fumble he managed to recover. Thats the big red warning siren for me. We HAVE to protect him. When he had a clean pocket and time he made a great throw and Marvin Jones with a great catch. I dont want him to go the way of QB's getting hit so much they start seeing ghosts and arent looking downfield but where the hit is coming from.

Agree completely. These are my main concerning takeaways from yesterday. Oline still struggling and pass rush is virtually non-existent.

Better QB: check
Better Receiving Core: check
Better run defense: check

If we don't solve the issues of the trenches, we won't be gaining much ground, nor stopping opposing teams from gaining ground.

I liked rushing 5 nearly every play but if we cant get teams off the field quickly, i think they could struggle bringing consistent pressure. We need the depth and rotation, which we do have but the whole D unit needs to click for it to have success.

Agree the Run D looks better for it and Lawrence looked good. Got so many solid receivers it should be an interesting fight to see depth chart and who misses out.

(08-15-2021, 09:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 07:59 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Nice write up as usual Bullseye. 2 things for me about yesterday

1- Its preseason game 1 and vanilla playcalling and we all know that but i liked the 3-4 D. We rushed with 5 on pretty much every play which i like but also cost us. The Browns started throwing screens and it just totally takes the rush out. If the DB's are dropping deep in coverage we have 2 LB's having to cover a LOT of grass. We tried dropping a S down to help but just something i think they will be working on and hopefully start seeing it all come together at some point.

2- I was concerned about the O line and i see the same unit that massively struggled last year, and the year before. I said in the gameday thread i just no improvement or progression. They struggle with the same pass rush moves they always have, OT's getting beaten outside and inside. These are things you expect the group to spend a week fixing and see how they are trying to fix it the following Sunday.

It was great to finally see Lawrence but his first snap was a sack/fumble he managed to recover. Thats the big red warning siren for me. We HAVE to protect him. When he had a clean pocket and time he made a great throw and Marvin Jones with a great catch. I dont want him to go the way of QB's getting hit so much they start seeing ghosts and arent looking downfield but where the hit is coming from.

Thank you, sir.

I think combined, both of these show the value of the preseason games.

We produced no pass rush last year, and our OL sees the DL and LBs in practice all day every day, going against the same fronts.  Now, we go up against a team we haven't played before using a different front.  I think whatever false sense of security we may have had either watching the practices or clips of practice or even reading practice reports was shattered by that game, especially since the Browns didn't play their starters.

No jaguars fan wants to see the scenarip you envision unfold.  I know that's one of the reasons I was pushing to acquire OL throughout the offseason, whether it was Trent Williams in free agency, or guys like Teven Jenkins in the draft.

(08-15-2021, 08:11 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Agree completely. These are my main concerning takeaways from yesterday. Oline still struggling and pass rush is virtually non-existent.

Better QB: check
Better Receiving Core: check
Better run defense: check

If we don't solve the issues of the trenches, we won't be gaining much ground, nor stopping opposing teams from gaining ground.

Agreed completely.

Thing is, being 1-15, we knew we'd have a lot of issues to fix before we could contend.  I hope there is a greater emphasis on the offensive trenches next offseason....and I hope TL can survive/ thrive until then.

Yeah i agree Bullseye. There were flashes of stuff that were new and its always hard with preseason as its the vanilla playbook and guys not wanting to get injured and other players desperate to impress.

My real hope for the next few games is seeing some improvement, trying to work on things we are bad at. I think this will be a learning season and i just want to see us start to execute our gameplan better.

I liked some of the flashes and that high level comes from repetition and games.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My impressions were definately Negative w/concerns to our first string OL vs their 2nd string DL (we got manhandled initially) until I noted the absence of key players on the OL. So I retract my initial impression. TL16 got better as the game progressed, I consider it to be a "Welcome to The NFL Rookie" moment. He got past it w/flying colors in my opinion. Our Top 100 RB recognized an blitz, informed TL16 to which he was able to complete a pass for a first down. Our WRs needs to get healthy w/respect to barely getting open for a pass completion throughout the game.

On D, even though we couldn't defend their slant routs I saw plenty of positives. The run D was on point while the DBs broke up several pass attempts despite Campbell giving up a TD. Cisco lined up ALL over the field and he played Damn Good in my opinion. We're not sure who's going to be our starting MLB baring the trade of JoSho but they'll be an upgrade w/respect to being a Thumper to say the least.

Overall I continue to be positive during the negative when it comes to our Jaguars.

Duuuuuuvallllllllll...

NH3...
"AZANE"

We looked like we are gonna be in for another long season. Cleveland sat more than half their starters and still owned our 1s on both sides of the ball.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2021, 09:05 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-18-2021, 08:31 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: We looked like we are gonna be in for another long season. Cleveland sat more than half their starters and still owned our 1s on both sides of the ball.

I am hoping our struggle was because of all the new players, new coaches, new systems, and the fact that it was the first preseason game.  It's a long season.   I've seen teams start 6-0 and fall off the map, and other teams start 0-6 and almost make the playoffs.  There is always hope.

Considering our mostly new team and staff were playing an established NFL team....and used 4 different QBs.
All in all not that bad. Let's start buckling down with the guys that will be starters and build a team.... a REAL team.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There’s going to be growing pains this year. Does anyone expect anything else? This team is going to start slow and be real bad at times. No problem, as long as they steadily improve. Come November and we have a repeating tendency to go into one of our famous meltdowns, then I’ll become concerned. Until then, we are the suck.

the team needs to improve  offenssive line,or poor lawrence is gonna get creamed all season.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them.