Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hate to say it, but yeah Urban can go.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021, 08:31 AM by Mikey.)

(10-31-2021, 05:56 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: The really worrying thing about Urban is in games when he has plenty of time to get the team prepared the team looks its worst.

this. right. here.

how in the absolute farts do you get a 12 men on the field penalty, and then immediately have to call a time out on the next play because AGAIN you have 12 flipping men on the field?

And we dodged another bullet when they pulled the flag because the 12th wasn't in the huddle?

their management style is "trainwreck".

(10-31-2021, 06:22 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: Apparently he needed some better coordinators because it doesn't appear urban brings anything but....well what does he bring...

He's very good at pressing the flesh and getting boosters to contribute to the program.

Oh, wait...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-01-2021, 08:30 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 05:56 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: The really worrying thing about Urban is in games when he has plenty of time to get the team prepared the team looks its worst.

this. right. here.

how in the absolute farts do you get a 12 men on the field penalty, and then immediately have to call a time out on the next play because AGAIN you have 12 flipping men on the field?

And we dodged another bullet when they pulled the flag because the 12th wasn't in the huddle?

their management style is "trainwreck".

(10-31-2021, 06:22 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: Apparently he needed some better coordinators because it doesn't appear urban brings anything but....well what does he bring...

He's very good at pressing the flesh and getting boosters to contribute to the program.

Oh, wait...

He's shown that he can still press the flesh and goose the booster.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-01-2021, 07:22 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Comparing Meyer with established winning NFL coaches accomplishes nothing. No one was under the impression Meyer would come in here able to squeeze the most out of a depleted roster. He was expected to make the mistakes that any rookie coach would make, and we saw real improvement in each successive game. However, yesterday was an absolute train derailment. It was a relapse to week one. It was more than just bad players, the coaching staff couldn’t find their rear-ends with both hands.

We’ll see next week if this continues to trend downwards. No one expected many wins because of the talent deficit, but if they can’t even look organized then Khan needs to make a hard decision. I think it was a temporary relapse and stand by original position of allowing Meyer one season to get himself and his staff in order. However, too many games like this before the end of the season will have me reassessing my stance.

I agree with that.   

Khan isn't going to fire Urban Meyer in the middle of his first season.  But if we have more games like this, Khan will be forced into a decision.  

Everyone knew Meyer had no NFL experience.   But dang, the rest of this coaching staff has loads of NFL experience, and so does the GM.  And yet, it's a clown show out there.  We traded away players we'd like to have back, the defensive back 7 don't know where to line up, or who's even supposed to be on the field, WRs run wrong routes or can't get open, 12 men on the field followed by 12 men on the field the very next play, onside kick returned for a touchdown, and on and on and on.   All our blitzes get picked up, leaving even more room for the opposing WRs.  Yesterday, I saw us run a corner blitz, and the Seahawks' RT blocked both our DE and our CB.  One of their guys blocked two of our guys!  

I think Joe Cullen will be gone within the next few weeks.

(10-31-2021, 09:08 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: #fireurbanmeyer

#UrbanFeyer

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021, 08:37 AM by Newton.)

Yeah at least Gus was a Ted Lasso who you wanted to root for. Urban is not performing and is not inspiring off the field

(10-31-2021, 10:56 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 07:12 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: I thought Urban would be a good X's and O's guy that could bring some creativity to the offense. 

Team has looked totally unprepared and undisciplined.  But - this isn't unusual for a rookie HC and especially with a. rookie QB.  If you go around firing the HC after 1 bad year, then you aren't going to hire good candidates in the future.  Khan isn't likely going to want to pay Meyer for his entire contract after 1 season of work either. 

So - UM is going to stay at least another year.

I'm not a Gator fan or anti-Gator fan, but I didn't like the idea of hiring of Urban Meyer.  I just saw the track record of college coaches without NFL experience in the NFL and it was not good.  Saban and Spurrier failed in the NFL, so why did we think Meyer would succeed?  The supporters almost inevitably used Jimmy Johnson to make their case, but kept forgetting that they had to go back almost 30 years to find their exception.  College coaching is mostly about recruiting.  Even when you talk about X's and O's, I think they are different between the two leagues.  What works in college often won't work in the NFL.  Why do so many great college quarterback fail in the NFL?  It's because it's a different game.  I wanted someone who knew the NFL game.  

That being said, it has always been my policy to be fair and try to support a new Jaguars coach even if I didn't agree with the hire.  The problem is that Meyer kept disappointing.  I didn't like his approach to free agency.  I didn't like his approach to the draft.  I didn't like most of his trades.  Each time he made a bad move, I kept hoping that I was wrong and that Meyer was a secret genius.  However, the results on the field show the opposite.  He made the wrong moves and the team sucks as a result of it.  He's absolutely terrible and must go.

while we don't have a lengthy history to work from, Kliff and Rhule are college coaches without pro experience, but the big difference is they are young, ascending offensive minds that are still adaptable. Shad may have had the right idea, but missed on the part where Urbz has been doing this so long he probably doesn't know how to go back to the drawing board and create new wrinkles in his scheme.

Plain and simple, Meyer was the shiny toy. You don't make headlines hiring another team's OC, or some non-bama/clemson/OSU coach from the lesser ranks. (well, you might, but the press may not be rainbows and daffodils).

Khan won't fire him, so you have to hope that he just quits.

Khan should have rode the momentum of the lap dance and used that to get rid of him.

(11-01-2021, 05:57 AM)Jag88 Wrote: The head coach can only do so much to fix a team like this so fast. Do you think your favorite head coach could win with this roster? I love our players, but they need some help like at wr and a lot on defense. The seahawks were desperate and they had a great home field advantage so it's not surprising this particular game happened.

this was their first home win since 2020. The 12s were out in force, I'll grant that, but I think we're talking about two different things.

(11-01-2021, 08:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 07:22 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Comparing Meyer with established winning NFL coaches accomplishes nothing. No one was under the impression Meyer would come in here able to squeeze the most out of a depleted roster. He was expected to make the mistakes that any rookie coach would make, and we saw real improvement in each successive game. However, yesterday was an absolute train derailment. It was a relapse to week one. It was more than just bad players, the coaching staff couldn’t find their rear-ends with both hands.

We’ll see next week if this continues to trend downwards. No one expected many wins because of the talent deficit, but if they can’t even look organized then Khan needs to make a hard decision. I think it was a temporary relapse and stand by original position of allowing Meyer one season to get himself and his staff in order. However, too many games like this before the end of the season will have me reassessing my stance.

I agree with that.   

Khan isn't going to fire Urban Meyer in the middle of his first season.  But if we have more games like this, Khan will be forced into a decision.  

Everyone knew Meyer had no NFL experience.   But dang, the rest of this coaching staff has loads of NFL experience, and so does the GM.  And yet, it's a clown show out there.  We traded away players we'd like to have back, the defensive back 7 don't know where to line up, or who's even supposed to be on the field, WRs run wrong routes or can't get open, 12 men on the field followed by 12 men on the field the very next play, onside kick returned for a touchdown, and on and on and on.   All our blitzes get picked up, leaving even more room for the opposing WRs.  Yesterday, I saw us run a corner blitz, and the Seahawks' RT blocked both our DE and our CB.  One of their guys blocked two of our guys!  

I think Joe Cullen will be gone within the next few weeks.
What’s firing Cullen going to do? Delay the inevitable of firing Urban?

Cullen was hired because he runs the type of defense Meyer wants. The issue is that they don’t adapt (shocker) their schemes to fit the talent (or lack of talent because they’re bad evaluators) they have.

I have seen some comment Urban appears flabbergasted at times during games. There is an easy explanation to this. This is what happens when a Head Coach does not have a vision of what HIS team should be. Instead Urban is relying on his coordinator's visions. So we have an offensive vision, a defensive vision and special teams vision. The only thing he has really said is he want people who run fast.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(10-31-2021, 09:15 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 08:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Can anyone tell me with a straight face that if you transplanted the Saints' staff and FO to Jax back in February we wouldn't be seeing a much better team right now?

(Saints are just one example of several)

I'll do you one better: This team would look better with Caldwell and Marrone.

I actually agree with this. Caldwell was never as bad as some liked to believe. Marrone was average as well. Maybe Urban can turn this around, but I dont think he will.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Caldwell couldn't pick 1st rounders, other than that he was ok. He was really good at cap management. Marrone's utter averageness would be a 5 win improvement over what we're seeing this season.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-02-2021, 03:36 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/ql...&context=3

Can't argue with that.

I can't see how anyone can defend the clown anymore.  The sooner the team has new ownership the better.  An ownership where winning matters.

Fortunately for your armchair franchise management, you all have zero idea the metrics that Khan and Meyer established when UM came on board. How many years did Khan give UM to turn this turd around? Dunno. When they sit down and [BLEEP] the year, what measures will they look at each year? Dunno. When UM presented his vision for a high performing team (speed above all else, I guess) and his assessment of the roster, who did he propose letting go on which schedule? Dunno.

Any moron can see this team is a basket case. Further, any moron can see that anyone who is any good gets traded so they can escape the basket case. Further still, any moron can see that this has been the case for years across multiple coaching regimes.

What morons can't see is how this crew agreed to turn it around.

(11-02-2021, 03:53 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: What morons can't see is how this crew agreed to turn it around.

The problem is it's been 10 months now and there has been zero turning. Meyer hasn't even pumped the brakes. All he did is put the pedal to the metal. We are worse off than ever.

(11-02-2021, 03:53 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: What morons can't see is how this crew agreed to turn it around.

This is not just personnel, this is BAD coaching decisions each and every week.

When the coach can't even get the basics of coaching right, how the heck is he going to fix the rest of it.

(11-02-2021, 04:20 PM)Upper Wrote:

The problem is it's been 10 months now and there has been zero turning. Meyer hasn't even pumped the brakes. All he did is put the pedal to the metal. We are worse off than ever.

I agree.  Firemen often don't inherit a good situation either, but at least they don't pour gas on the fire.

(11-02-2021, 03:53 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: What morons can't see...

I'll take "lack of self-awareness" for 2000, Alex

If the plan was to screw up free agency, blow our draft capital, and embarrass the owner and city both on and off the field the Mission Accomplished!