Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Reasonable Expectations for Trevor Lawrence

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022, 09:51 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-08-2022, 09:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 05:12 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: The point of that video were to show a few of his bad throws in one game. This kind of thing you could very easily go back and find in any number of his college starts and most definitely in just about every game last year as a jaguar. The fact that your only argument is to assume my opinions are based off this video, which I never watched before I linked it to you is troublesome. I watched every single passing attempt Trevor made in college online, theres a neat website that takes a college prospects film for each game, and shows all of their plays for each one. I watched all of these over the few weeks after we became the owners of the first pick before we selected him. That is where my opinion comes from. Feel free to go check it out.

Same, but everyone thinks I hate him or something. I really like Trevor, he was the only option for us at #1 he more than likely will be the best QB from that class. My entire problem with him was the absurd hype surrounding him. It almost felt like someone called him a "generational talent" after watching his win vs Alabama, and every other sports news analyst decided to just say the same thing without watching any of his play. 

Outside of maybe physical talent, The guy was no where near as polished as someone like Andrew Luck coming out and the fact that people were claiming him to be just that made my head hurt. Luck was a guy who very obviously had a very high floor and potential to be an all time great. Trevor in my personal opinion has an average floor with the tools to be amazing. It just depends if he's able to develop them and fix his current issues.

Anyone claiming he was good last year, or that he is 100% destined to be great have lips wrapped around a straw in a glass of teal kool-aid
(emphasis added)

Very few things in football are 100% guaranteed.  Anyone claiming even tacitly or expressly after one year that he is 100% destined to be a bust is not to be taken seriously as a football fan.

Short pop Quiz

1.  There was once a rookie QB that threw more INTs than TDs, threw 28 INTs (worst in the league in that category), and finished 3-13 as a rookie starter. 

Bust?

2.  There was another QB that was winless as a rookie (0-11), completed 52.9% of his passes, and threw twice as many INTs (18) as TDs (9)

Bust?

3.  There was still another rookie QB that got no playing time as a rookie, and partied so much he was traded away after one season. After three seasons, he still threw more INTs (39) than TDs (37).

Bust?

4.  Yet another rookie QB competed only 52.8 % of his passes and had more INTs )12) than TDs (10).

Bust?

Answer Key:

1.  Not a bust.  That QB was Peyton Manning.

2.  Not a bust.  That QB was Troy Aikman.

3.  Not a bust.  That QB was Brett Favre.

4.  Not a bust.  That QB was Buffalo's Josh Allen.

Keep in mind Tevor Lawrence had numbers last year comparable or superior to all of the others in most categories.

TL had as many wins his rookie year than Peyton Manning and threw fewer INTs.  Manning had the benefit of a stud WR already on the roster in Marvin Harrison, and a stud RB in Marshall Faulk, and a stud LT in Tarik Glenn.

TL had three more wins had a higher completion percentage, threw more TDs and fewer INTs than Troy Aikman.

TL was better in all categories his first year than Brett Favre.

TL had a higher completion percentage and threw more TDs than Josh Allen.

Were you  truly as passionate and knowledgeable a fan as you purport, you'd know not to thump your chest over a QBs rookie year struggles, and you'd know that QBs develop over time.  Let it play out.

Source:  profootballreference.com

Thus endeth the lesson.
Short pop Quiz

1.  There was once a rookie QB that threw more INTs than TDs, threw 28 INTs (worst in the league in that category), and finished 3-13 as a rookie starter. 

Bust? I never called Trevor a bust. 2. That QB also has 26 Tds along with the 28 INTS and had flashes of brilliance, Trevor didn't. 

2.  There was another QB that was winless as a rookie (0-11), completed 52.9% of his passes, and threw twice as many INTs (18) as TDs (9)

Bust? Not a bust, but also a product of playing on one of the most stacked offenses in the history of the NFL, and was not deemed one of the best cant miss prospects in decades when drafted. 

3.  There was still another rookie QB that got no playing time as a rookie, and partied so much he was traded away after one season. After three seasons, he still threw more INTs (39) than TDs (37). Technically he was a bust for the team that took him. Again I still have yet to ever even consider Trevor a bust, so this dosen't make any sense? 

Bust?

4.  Yet another rookie QB competed only 52.8 % of his passes and had more INTs )12) than TDs (10).

Bust? Refer to answer #3

And again, i'm not calling him a bust and am also not judging him specifically for his "rookie struggles". My argument towards Trevor from prior to him being on our team has been his flaws, and the medias fantasy that he has none.

(04-08-2022, 09:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 09:20 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Go through my post history, I was flamed in 2017 for saying Mahomes was the best QB by a bunch of you trying to tell me trubiski was the safe bet. And you will also find posts of me being extremely skeptical on Lawrence.

Try harder tho.
Couldn't care less to go through your post history but anyone claiming that they had Mahomes and Allen as better prospects than Lawrence is lying. You're only saying that now that the evidence is out there with them being superstars in the league.

So, you know very well that I have been highly skeptical of Lawrence and said he was no generational talent since prior to us having the #1 pick yet you think I have him rated lower than guys I wanted? 

Right.. that makes sense. I mean I did have an entire thread discussing how i'd gladly trade the #1 pick for Deshaun Watson before we took Trevor, and also before the allegations came out on Watson.

Messages In This Thread
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 03-21-2022, 07:33 AM
RE: Reasonable Expectations for Trevor Lawrence - by ChrisJagBoy - 04-08-2022, 09:46 AM