Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

(07-12-2022, 05:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 04:42 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Outside of our fanbase, most fans think Lawrence is a bust. I disagree with that obviously but more people view him as a bust than being good.
Yeeeesh. What a bad take.

You might find 1 or 2 articles (likely Jets fans) saying Lawrence is a bust but the majority of media outlets actually expect a big jump from Lawrence next season. 

So, per usual, you’re wrong.

Post a quote here of me saying something inaccurate.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-12-2022, 07:08 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 04:57 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
That is absolutely not true.  Can you cite any evidence of that?

Go to literally any youtube video speaking of Lawrence or his highlights, read the comments.

You will find more people talking down on him than you wont. And for the record, I do defend him as much as I can when it comes to people who sit and try to say he's the worst QB from this class because that, is ignorant.

(07-12-2022, 05:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yeeeesh. What a bad take.

You might find 1 or 2 articles (likely Jets fans) saying Lawrence is a bust but the majority of media outlets actually expect a big jump from Lawrence next season. 

I'm speaking of people in general, not sports writers. And I do not agree with them at all. I do think he will turn out to be an okay QB. My take is that he isn't what he's been hyped up to be.

People, in general, are dumb and will defend their dumb to the Nth degree. As an example, this thread is 65 pages of a guy defending his laughably bad take from months ago.

(11-14-2021, 06:08 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I remember seeing post like this about Gabbert/Blake in their rookie seasons aswell.

Same ignorant posters defending the golden boy like he's a perfect god sent down from football heaven. If he turns out good, that's great. But some of us expected it to be a rough transition and were just laughed at. He has to prove he's worth it now, and as of now he's done nothing to show promise since entering the league.

Posting the "evidence of dumb" for consideration.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Using YouTube comments as ‘evidence’ of anything is laughable.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Go to literally any youtube video speaking of Lawrence or his highlights, read the comments.

You will find more people talking down on him than you wont. And for the record, I do defend him as much as I can when it comes to people who sit and try to say he's the worst QB from this class because that, is ignorant.

I'm speaking of people in general, not sports writers. And I do not agree with them at all. I do think he will turn out to be an okay QB. My take is that he isn't what he's been hyped up to be.

https://youtu.be/Guxa9vRpb68

My lord you all, just wait a bit and you will see!

(07-12-2022, 04:42 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 04:27 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Call me crazy, but if someone was ‘trying to get clicks’ wouldn’t it be more likely that they submit something contrary to what just about everyone else was saying?

Outside of our fanbase, most fans think Lawrence is a bust. I disagree with that obviously but more people view him as a bust than being good.

I live in NY and even all my jets and giants fans friends don't think he's a bust. I think you're just trying to pull something out of your [BLEEP]. Give it a rest already.

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2022, 09:56 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(07-12-2022, 07:55 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Using YouTube comments as ‘evidence’ of anything is laughable.

Evidence that people think he's a bust, not that he is one. 

Hows it laughable?

(07-12-2022, 09:01 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 04:42 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Outside of our fanbase, most fans think Lawrence is a bust. I disagree with that obviously but more people view him as a bust than being good.

I live in NY and even all my jets and giants fans friends don't think he's a bust. I think you're just trying to pull something out of your [BLEEP]. Give it a rest already.

Your 3 or 4 friends represent the worlds population? Your friends at that, who probably wouldnt [BLEEP] talk your QB because, you know.. their your friends?

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2022, 10:03 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-12-2022, 07:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 07:08 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Go to literally any youtube video speaking of Lawrence or his highlights, read the comments.

People, in general, are dumb and will defend their dumb to the Nth degree. As an example, this thread is 65 pages of a guy defending his laughably bad take from months ago.

(11-14-2021, 06:08 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I remember seeing post like this about Gabbert/Blake in their rookie seasons aswell.

Same ignorant posters defending the golden boy like he's a perfect god sent down from football heaven. If he turns out good, that's great. But some of us expected it to be a rough transition and were just laughed at. He has to prove he's worth it now, and as of now he's done nothing to show promise since entering the league.

(07-12-2022, 07:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 07:08 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Go to literally any youtube video speaking of Lawrence or his highlights, read the comments.

https://youtu.be/Guxa9vRpb68

I didn't make this thread, but carry on proving your people are dumb theory.. never expected you to use yourself as an example.

As for the quote of mine you posted, what about it was dumb or inaccurate? The dude was one of the three worst quarterbacks in football last year, regardless of whatever excuse you make for him.

(07-12-2022, 09:54 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 07:55 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Using YouTube comments as ‘evidence’ of anything is laughable.

Hows it laughable?

(07-12-2022, 09:01 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I live in NY and even all my jets and giants fans friends don't think he's a bust. I think you're just trying to pull something out of your [BLEEP]. Give it a rest already.

Your 3 or 4 friends represent the worlds population? Your friends at that, who probably wouldnt [BLEEP] talk your QB because, you know.. their your friends?

Some clowns on YouTube…probably fans of other teams…say Lawrence is a bust is the end all of your proof?  If you don’t see the idiocy of that, I don’t know what to think.  What a bozo.  Your avatar is absolutely perfect.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-11-2022, 01:22 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: I’ll bookmark here: I think he will bust. He’ll be a backup in two seasons.

While he’s got an extremely powerful arm, he can’t read defences to save himself, his footwork is atrocious (perhaps his strong arm handicapping foot development), he has poor pocket discipline and he has almost no ball-throwing finesse, ie soft passes and placement. It’s possible that the new QB coach can pack TL full of wisdom that he has’t yet acquired. And it’s further possible that the line might be able to give him half a beat more time, reducing his need to read plays and keep him from fleeing the pocket early with crazy feet. But I don’t think so. I think his improvement in the fundamentals of QB skills will be marginal.

Here’s to hoping I’m wrong and seeing you all rub it in my face. Good luck, Trev.

My take. Let’s see if I’m proven wrong. But I suspect we’ll be trading for a veteran to “mentor” TL before the Nov 1 trading deadline (week 8 is the last week to trade).

(07-12-2022, 10:00 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 07:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: People, in general, are dumb and will defend their dumb to the Nth degree. As an example, this thread is 65 pages of a guy defending his laughably bad take from months ago.

(07-12-2022, 07:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://youtu.be/Guxa9vRpb68

I didn't make this thread, but carry on proving your people are dumb theory.. never expected you to use yourself as an example.

As for the quote of mine you posted, what about it was dumb or inaccurate? The dude was one of the three worst quarterbacks in football last year, regardless of whatever excuse you make for him.

You really do prove that the fool is blind to his own folly. Good jorb,
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-12-2022, 10:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 10:00 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I didn't make this thread, but carry on proving your people are dumb theory.. never expected you to use yourself as an example.

You really do prove that the fool is blind to his own folly. Good jorb,
Thanks I take my Jorbs seriously.

(07-12-2022, 10:48 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 10:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You really do prove that the fool is blind to his own folly. Good jorb,
Thanks I take my Jorbs seriously.

We can tell, believe you me. Dozens of YouTube commenters agree.

[Image: homestar-runner-coach-z.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2022, 11:57 PM by OzJohnnie.)

(07-12-2022, 07:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://youtu.be/Guxa9vRpb68

https://youtu.be/MYzmKbe3gbs

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 12:49 AM by jessepeck1213. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hows it laughable?

(07-12-2022, 09:01 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I live in NY and even all my jets and giants fans friends don't think he's a bust. I think you're just trying to pull something out of your [BLEEP]. Give it a rest already.

I talk football with a lot of people, not "3 or 4 friends" Nobody who has any knowledge of football whatsoever thinks trevor is a bust after 1 year. If you're getting this idea off of samples of people that comment on social media posts then you're dumb as the comments you're reading.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 08:45 AM by Mikey.)

(07-12-2022, 04:27 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Call me crazy, but if someone was ‘trying to get clicks’ wouldn’t it be more likely that they submit something contrary to what just about everyone else was saying?

OK, crazy. Big Grin

I think there's two trains of thought - in the media you either have the taekmongers who will spout off any contrary point just to get people talking about them going against the grain, and the other is to post what everyone wants.  People want to either feel superior by pointing and laughing at the dummy who posted stupid online or feel smart because the person who does this for a living thinks exactly as they do.

Media's job is not to inform, it's to draw eyes to their medium so that ad space can be sold. Whatever gets the views is what they're going to play to.

@circumstantial and hearsay, but that is still technically evidence, right?@

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 08:54 AM by Mikey.)

Yes, youtube comments are where I go to get a finger on the pulse of the football world. That's certainly a reliable source!

(07-12-2022, 07:14 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

Post a quote here of me saying something inaccurate.

Quote:Outside of our fanbase, most fans think Lawrence is a bust.
most fans are youtube commenters, it seems, and most fans take their opinions to the comments section of a video.

That is at the very least uninformed, if not inaccurate.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 09:06 AM by Mikey.)

Hows it laughable?

...youtube commenters reflect the opinions of most fans (outside of Duval, mind you)? Two way street with that one, chief.

And don't start spinning it, you cited it as evidence that MOST FANS think he's a bust. Not just "people".

It's just like the way you mischaracterized this board as predominantly casting him to be the savior, when we all wanted him because he was the most NFL ready of the bunch, not that he was some football deity sent to achieve perfection and bring eleventy billion Lombardis to Shad's trophy case. You blow things WAY out of proportion to support your position, and it ends up with everyone pointing and laughing at how foolish it makes you look, whether your argument has actual merit or not.

Sorry if that's harsh, but it's brutal honesty. You may have legit ideas, but the way you try to justify and promote those ideas leave them unpalatable.

(07-12-2022, 10:25 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 01:22 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: I’ll bookmark here: I think he will bust.  He’ll be a backup in two seasons.

While he’s got an extremely powerful arm, he can’t read defences to save himself, his footwork is atrocious (perhaps his strong arm handicapping foot development), he has poor pocket discipline and he has almost no ball-throwing finesse, ie soft passes and placement.  It’s possible that the new QB coach can pack TL full of wisdom that he has’t yet acquired.  And it’s further possible that the line might be able to give him half a beat more time, reducing his need to read plays and keep him from fleeing the pocket early with crazy feet.  But I don’t think so. I think his improvement in the fundamentals of QB skills will be marginal.

Here’s to hoping I’m wrong and seeing you all rub it in my face.  Good luck, Trev.

My take.  Let’s see if I’m proven wrong.  But I suspect we’ll be trading for a veteran to “mentor” TL before the Nov 1 trading deadline (week 8 is the last week to trade).

The veteran QB serving as mentor is our HC, bub. No trade necessary!

(07-12-2022, 10:25 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 01:22 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: I’ll bookmark here: I think he will bust.  He’ll be a backup in two seasons.

While he’s got an extremely powerful arm, he can’t read defences to save himself, his footwork is atrocious (perhaps his strong arm handicapping foot development), he has poor pocket discipline and he has almost no ball-throwing finesse, ie soft passes and placement.  It’s possible that the new QB coach can pack TL full of wisdom that he has’t yet acquired.  And it’s further possible that the line might be able to give him half a beat more time, reducing his need to read plays and keep him from fleeing the pocket early with crazy feet.  But I don’t think so. I think his improvement in the fundamentals of QB skills will be marginal.

Here’s to hoping I’m wrong and seeing you all rub it in my face.  Good luck, Trev.

My take.  Let’s see if I’m proven wrong.  But I suspect we’ll be trading for a veteran to “mentor” TL before the Nov 1 trading deadline (week 8 is the last week to trade).

I mentioned the following in another thread: Hopefully Pederson can iron that out, and I think he has to be a success with the Jaguars.  My concern with Pederson is that he has to turn Lawrence into a Nick Foles type of QB.  A guy that can run his offense, but becomes very readable after a season or a few games for the NFL defenses.

Thought I would expand on the above, with a reference to the Tedford Factor.  Jeff Tedford QBs in college were taught a system that limited their ability to read the defense across the whole field post-snap, narrowing or eliminating their window to find open off-script receivers.  In college the QB system worked great, getting 5 Tedford QBs selected highly in the NFL draft, only to find that their ability to read the field in an NFL offense were lacking.  

This was my concern in the previous post, and something I thought was relevant to the Jags (having traded for Nick Foles.)  If Pederson has to continually simplify the offense to fit Trevor Lawrence's skill set (or lack there of) he may get some increases in production, but for a short time.  NFL defenses will be able to solve the pre-read play calling.  I would say that in the NFL off-script plays are a necessity, which is why QBs like Mahomes and Josh Allen are so successful.

On the flip side, the article I posted was about Aaron Rodgers who was the 6th Tedford QB.  After sitting on the bench for 3 years and learning the NFL offense requirements, he was able to overcome the system he learned from Jeff Tedford.

Do you think Nick Foles and Trevor Lawrence have the same talent?