Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It has hit the fan here

Moore county is back online. Thank God. Our neighborhood was the last to get power. It's so good to see streetlights and Christmas lights and porch lights. Very good to see traffic lights!!

Those Duke Energy folks, many of them live here, busted their butts to get us back in business and I am so thankful. I hope all of the restaurants are able to get back to business soon. So thankful for the food trucks that set up around town and kept folks fed. Harris Teeter gave away bags of ice in their parking lot. Police and fire departments and other places had charging stations set up. Lowe's had trucks of generators brought in overnight to sell.

It was a jacked up situation and the offenders should rot but it showed what the community can do when SHTF. I imagine there was a similar sentiment after 9/11. I was living in Germany so I don't know how it was here but I remember hearing about people coming together.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Any suspects?
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(12-07-2022, 08:42 PM)Ronster Wrote: Any suspects?

It's being narrowed down, but so far..

[Image: 1voxhv.jpg]
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Not yet.

(12-07-2022, 10:41 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 10:26 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I bought a Briggs and Stratton gennie yesterday. A big one we can eventually hook up to our house but today we just want to be able to run the fridge/freezer and deep freezer at the same time, minimum. My parents are getting our smaller Predator today. They've already lost most of their food.

This crazy is not for the lazy or the weak-minded. Or the elderly. It takes work to figure out how to improvise and make do. Being completely thrown out of your routine without warning and not knowing how long things will be chaotic is not for the soft. We're more prepared than a lot of people around here but were still 'caught with our pants down' so to speak.

Hate to say it, but unfortunate as that whole situation is, could be a ton worse. Could be in the middle of summer or winter with no heat or AC!!

Here in Florida, if the power goes off in the middle of a summer night, it's wide spread panic lolol

Hoping you guys get it fixed soon!!

Dude, I was so thankful it was December and not July. Although waking up to it being 50° inside your house sucks. It's not a Florida 50 either. The lack of dew point and humidity makes it feel colder than 50°. And you can't warm up. Tuesday and today it was warmer outside than inside. Thank goodness for a warm front! Today was rainy though so unless you had a covered porch to sit on you were stuck in your cold house. 

Inside our house got no warmer than 62°.  We have our thermostat set at 65° during the day and the sun warms things up. We've been overcast this whole time. Pair that with not being able to turn on actual lights to take the gloom away and it makes for depressing times for a lot of folks. 

All that being said, I'm still thankful it happened in December and not anytime May-October. Yuck!

(12-07-2022, 08:55 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

It's being narrowed down, but so far..

[Image: 1voxhv.jpg]

Regardless of if they are Russian or not, I vote we send them to Siberia once we catch them.  You say your name is Sean McDonald? Not anymore!  You're Sergei Micursky, and your flight home is waiting for you on the tarmac.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-07-2022, 09:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 10:41 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Hate to say it, but unfortunate as that whole situation is, could be a ton worse. Could be in the middle of summer or winter with no heat or AC!!

Here in Florida, if the power goes off in the middle of a summer night, it's wide spread panic lolol

Hoping you guys get it fixed soon!!

Dude, I was so thankful it was December and not July. Although waking up to it being 50° inside your house sucks. It's not a Florida 50 either. The lack of dew point and humidity makes it feel colder than 50°. And you can't warm up. Tuesday and today it was warmer outside than inside. Thank goodness for a warm front! Today was rainy though so unless you had a covered porch to sit on you were stuck in your cold house. 

Inside our house got no warmer than 62°.  We have our thermostat set at 65° during the day and the sun warms things up. We've been overcast this whole time. Pair that with not being able to turn on actual lights to take the gloom away and it makes for depressing times for a lot of folks. 

All that being said, I'm still thankful it happened in December and not anytime May-October. Yuck!

Florida 50° here in Jax is plenty cold with our usual humidity.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(12-08-2022, 04:28 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 09:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Dude, I was so thankful it was December and not July. Although waking up to it being 50° inside your house sucks. It's not a Florida 50 either. The lack of dew point and humidity makes it feel colder than 50°. And you can't warm up. Tuesday and today it was warmer outside than inside. Thank goodness for a warm front! Today was rainy though so unless you had a covered porch to sit on you were stuck in your cold house. 

Florida 50° here in Jax is plenty cold with our usual humidity.

Yep. I don't wish it on anyone to know sustained cold temps inside their homes. It makes you think about the folks in Ukraine who are in a much colder climate and are dealing with intermittent or complete power outages as it gets colder. I can't imagine. 

Actually, I can from my time in the Army when we would go on field training exercises during winter months. There were no barracks, no heaters, no reprieve from the cold unless you had a medical event and had to visit the medic tent. Hot coffee and a hot meal was it. We slept in tents and went to bed in the cold and woke up in the cold. That was miserable but it was expected and we knew how long it would last. 

Moore county was taken completely off guard and had no real idea of when things would improve. It's mentally draining. 

Now for the second phase. Everyone rescheduling doctor appointments being, pharmacies being restocked, restaurants getting rid of spoiled food and restocking and so much more. 

Freaking Nowhere North Carolina gets hit by a domestic terrorist. Seriously, if it can happen here it can happen anywhere. People need to wake up.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2022, 11:33 AM by WingerDinger.)

In the age of Big Brother, there's got to be video somewhere. You can't walk down the street without a camera of some sort, monitoring your every movement.

Ring Doorbells
Business Security Cameras
Everyone on their cell phones..

Surprised it's not on Tick Tock yet with some stupid kid, dancing like a jackass in front of the evidence video.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Agreed, there are usually cameras galore checking for mischief at substations, power plants, etc. We'll see soon i guess.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2022, 12:45 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-08-2022, 11:18 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 04:28 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Florida 50° here in Jax is plenty cold with our usual humidity.

Yep. I don't wish it on anyone to know sustained cold temps inside their homes. It makes you think about the folks in Ukraine who are in a much colder climate and are dealing with intermittent or complete power outages as it gets colder. I can't imagine. 

Actually, I can from my time in the Army when we would go on field training exercises during winter months. There were no barracks, no heaters, no reprieve from the cold unless you had a medical event and had to visit the medic tent. Hot coffee and a hot meal was it. We slept in tents and went to bed in the cold and woke up in the cold. That was miserable but it was expected and we knew how long it would last. 

Moore county was taken completely off guard and had no real idea of when things would improve. It's mentally draining. 

Now for the second phase. Everyone rescheduling doctor appointments being, pharmacies being restocked, restaurants getting rid of spoiled food and restocking and so much more. 

Freaking Nowhere North Carolina gets hit by a domestic terrorist. Seriously, if it can happen here it can happen anywhere. People need to wake up.

That was exactly my frustration with the first few hurricanes I went through.  If you know it will take 5 days to restore power, you can plan for that.  But if you think there's a good possibility power could be restored in 2 days, you don't commit to those 5 day plans.  You get stuck in this mentally frustrating in between world, not sure what you should do.  Fortunately now I have enough resources that it doesn't bother me if food goes bad or if I'm stuck choosing between nonperishables or restaurant food for 3 meals a day, and I have multiple weeks worth of clean clothes and dishes.  College me didn't have any of those things. Today I can take a power outages day by day. Twenty years ago I could not.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-08-2022, 11:33 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: In the age of Big Brother, there's got to be video somewhere. You can't walk down the street without a camera of some sort, monitoring your every movement.

Ring Doorbells
Business Security Cameras
Everyone on their cell phones..

Surprised it's not on Tick Tock yet with some stupid kid, dancing like a jackass in front of the evidence video.

Investigators are going through all that footage. Federal warrants have been issued though they are sealed. They are being extremely tight with what they know. It's aggravating not knowing something but I want them to do this investigation right so when this goes to court there are no loop holes or anything else that can make things easier for the offenders terrorists who did this. 

My sister lives in Glen St Mary and said she's heard of other Duke Energy facilities being attacked. Even in FL. I seem to vaguely remember hearing about "vandalism" at a facility in FL but I don't remember when. Do y'all recall hearing anything?

(12-08-2022, 12:44 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 11:18 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Yep. I don't wish it on anyone to know sustained cold temps inside their homes. It makes you think about the folks in Ukraine who are in a much colder climate and are dealing with intermittent or complete power outages as it gets colder. I can't imagine. 

That was exactly my frustration with the first few hurricanes I went through.  If you know it will take 5 days to restore power, you can plan for that.  But if you think there's a good possibility power could be restored in 2 days, you don't commit to those 5 day plans.  You get stuck in this mentally frustrating in between world, not sure what you should do.  Fortunately now I have enough resources that it doesn't bother me if food goes bad or if I'm stuck choosing between nonperishables or restaurant food for 3 meals a day, and I have multiple weeks worth of clean clothes and dishes.  College me didn't have any of those things.  Today I can take a power outages day by day.  Twenty years ago I could not.

Our major weak spot was lack of a generator. That has been rectified. I bought one Tuesday that will support our fridge/freezer, deep freezer, fans, lights and more, but most importantly my husband's CPAP machine. Dude can't sleep without it. 

We can recoup if we lose our freezer and fridge of food. We have plenty of clothes to wear. We have rain barrels of water to flush our toilets, food I prepped and pressure canned, soups from the store, plenty of other stuff we need. But why should we have to recoup anything when we can be better prepared in the first place? Or hope restaurants are open to feed us? Food trucks were the major source of meals because they run on generators so they were perfect for that but they can prep only so much food at a time. 

What is stressful is the things we don't have control of like prescriptions that need to be filled but can't be. My husband has bad asthma and has to have an inhaler. Or elderly parents who aren't prepped at all and it falls on us to make sure they're squared away.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2022, 09:43 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-08-2022, 09:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 12:44 PM)mikesez Wrote: That was exactly my frustration with the first few hurricanes I went through.  If you know it will take 5 days to restore power, you can plan for that.  But if you think there's a good possibility power could be restored in 2 days, you don't commit to those 5 day plans.  You get stuck in this mentally frustrating in between world, not sure what you should do.  Fortunately now I have enough resources that it doesn't bother me if food goes bad or if I'm stuck choosing between nonperishables or restaurant food for 3 meals a day, and I have multiple weeks worth of clean clothes and dishes.  College me didn't have any of those things.  Today I can take a power outages day by day.  Twenty years ago I could not.

Our major weak spot was lack of a generator. That has been rectified. I bought one Tuesday that will support our fridge/freezer, deep freezer, fans, lights and more, but most importantly my husband's CPAP machine. Dude can't sleep without it. 

We can recoup if we lose our freezer and fridge of food. We have plenty of clothes to wear. We have rain barrels of water to flush our toilets, food I prepped and pressure canned, soups from the store, plenty of other stuff we need. But why should we have to recoup anything when we can be better prepared in the first place? Or hope restaurants are open to feed us? Food trucks were the major source of meals because they run on generators so they were perfect for that but they can prep only so much food at a time. 

What is stressful is the things we don't have control of like prescriptions that need to be filled but can't be. My husband has bad asthma and has to have an inhaler. Or elderly parents who aren't prepped at all and it falls on us to make sure they're squared away.

It’s stuff like this, and more, I bought freeze dried foods that last 25 years.  It wasn’t cheap, I really shouldn’t have done it.  But, the 3 of us can eat for 3 months if need be.  I’m guessing it’s more so 2, but still.  Wife wasn’t happy I spent the money, but I want to cover our butts.  I’m glad things are looking up now

(12-08-2022, 09:41 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 09:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Our major weak spot was lack of a generator. That has been rectified. I bought one Tuesday that will support our fridge/freezer, deep freezer, fans, lights and more, but most importantly my husband's CPAP machine. Dude can't sleep without it. 

It’s stuff like this, and more, I bought freeze dried foods that last 25 years.  It wasn’t cheap, I really shouldn’t have done it.  But, the 3 of us can eat for 3 months if need be.  I’m guessing it’s more so 2, but still.  Wife wasn’t happy I spent the money, but I want to cover our butts.  I’m glad things are looking up now

I want a freeze dryer SO BAD but they're a couple of grand. We could likely make that up quickly if we had folks who paid us to freeze dry food for them. I know of a handful who might but might is not a guarantee.

Interesting..... I have never thought the destruction of the substation equipment had anything to do with the drag show. The possibility of a disgruntled employee has been floated but not confirmed. The following article shows that it could just be bad actors who know something about grids and are testing what they can get away with. 

Link

Just days after what officials are calling a “targeted” attack at two Duke Energy substations in North Carolina, NewsNation has obtained federal documents showing evidence of at least six other “intrusions” at Duke Energy substations in Florida.

In September, Duke Energy Florida experienced at least half a dozen “substation intrusion events,” according to an incident report obtained by NewsNation.

On Sept. 21, an intruder “forced entry” into the Zephyrhills North substation in Pasco County, manually tripping equipment that caused an outage lasting nine minutes, according to a report filed with the U.S. Department of Energy.

It costs too much money and too much effort to prep. If hard times hit, I'm going to Jagwired's house.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2022, 01:50 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-08-2022, 11:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Interesting..... I have never thought the destruction of the substation equipment had anything to do with the drag show. The possibility of a disgruntled employee has been floated but not confirmed. The following article shows that it could just be bad actors who know something about grids and are testing what they can get away with. 

Link

Just days after what officials are calling a “targeted” attack at two Duke Energy substations in North Carolina, NewsNation has obtained federal documents showing evidence of at least six other “intrusions” at Duke Energy substations in Florida.

In September, Duke Energy Florida experienced at least half a dozen “substation intrusion events,” according to an incident report obtained by NewsNation.

On Sept. 21, an intruder “forced entry” into the Zephyrhills North substation in Pasco County, manually tripping equipment that caused an outage lasting nine minutes, according to a report filed with the U.S. Department of Energy.

You have to be either ignorant or just plain crazy to attempt to manually trip a breaker at a high voltage Substation.  Typically, the voltages on the high side are anywhere from 25kV to 500kV, depending on whether they are serving the Transmission or Distribution system.  If that current arcs to your body while you are tripping the breaker, you could be talking 50 to 200 amps coursing through you, which would burn holes thru your body and stop your heart from beating.  Sort of like the electric chair times 20. We had incidences of line crews finding dead people fused to the inner coils of garden variety padmount transformers because they cut the cover bolts and were trying to steal the copper coils out of a live transformer, back when theft of copper was an epidemic in the early 2000's.

(12-09-2022, 01:47 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 11:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Interesting..... I have never thought the destruction of the substation equipment had anything to do with the drag show. The possibility of a disgruntled employee has been floated but not confirmed. The following article shows that it could just be bad actors who know something about grids and are testing what they can get away with. 

Link

You have to be either ignorant or just plain crazy to attempt to manually trip a breaker at a high voltage Substation.  Typically, the voltages on the high side are anywhere from 25kV to 500kV, depending on whether they are serving the Transmission or Distribution system.  If that current arcs to your body while you are tripping the breaker, you could be talking 50 to 200 amps coursing through you, which would burn holes thru your body and stop your heart from beating.  Sort of like the electric chair times 20.  We had incidences of line crews finding dead people fused to the inner coils of garden variety padmount transformers because they cut the cover bolts and were trying to steal the copper coils out of a live transformer, back when theft of copper was an epidemic in the early 2000's.

Yet it can still be done and at multiple locations. Obviously by someone who knows what they're doing so they don't fry themselves.