Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What does that draft say to you?

Makes me want to puke when people say a RB in the third round is a wasted pick.

Some RBs went in the first and Second rounds so other teams also value RBs.

Also ETN carried the ball way too much last year. I like having a big back who can carry the heavy load.

Do you want to know what a starting Qb best friend is? A good running game is one of them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...JCjWA&s=19

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-30-2023, 04:57 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Makes me want to puke when people say a RB in the third round is a wasted pick.

Also ETN carried the ball way too much last year. I like having a big back who can carry the heavy load.

Do you want to know what a starting Qb best friend is? A good running game is one of them.

Out of curiosity, who said it was a wasted pick?  I’ve been as vocal as anyone and I never said it and I can’t recall anyone saying it.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-30-2023, 11:10 AM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 10:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The failure to move back up really bit them in the backside 

Baalke has said 15 teams turned down his attempts to trade back up. 

We have a glut of longshots and spent low capital in places we needed real help. 
Not ideal.

Do you get the sense that people don't want to work with Baalke?  Or maybe he just doesn't have a great understanding of how to value picks?

Both. Apparently he was trying to jump up in the 2nd round and grab Keion White, but the Pats beat him to the punch.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We need to fortify the OL and get better at running the ball. We were not good in short yardage situations, having to resort to gimmick plays and Trevor taking hits.

(04-30-2023, 08:14 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 04:57 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Makes me want to puke when people say a RB in the third round is a wasted pick.

Out of curiosity, who said it was a wasted pick?  I’ve been as vocal as anyone and I never said it and I can’t recall anyone saying it.

I have not seen that either. Some have said they did not like the value is all.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Cool title for the string. After sleeping on the draft last night a couple things occurred to me.

The many times our management said they liked their guys.

The interviews leading up always had the "depth" and "competition" words as one of the themes.

They picked who they picked, they extended who they wanted, they took care of "their" guys.

Last year I took a look (salary, contract length, dead money etc) and we had about 50 guys fighting for say 5 spots on the 53. so about 48 no brainers. This year if we look at it I only see 33 to 36 of those, So this year 50 guys fighting for 16 to 20 spots.

This is going to be a really competitive lead up to the season.

They bolstered the offense, and improved the back end of the defense. They intended to trade up a couple times, but had no willing partners (it happens..... can't make teams trade down so you can move up). They ultimately could find a few younger, cheaper backup players to replace older and more expensive ones. Not a great draft, and it didn't go the way the wanted it to, exactly. But not a bad one either.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

There is so much to say about the draft.  If I were to write it in one message, it would be ridiculously long.  I'll start with one of my big observations.  I considered the early 4th round to be the sweet spot in this draft where a lot of excellent value met the Jaguars needs.  You had Clark Phillips at 113, Dawand Jones at 111 and Adetomiwa Adebawore at 110.  I wasn't high on Kelee Ringo and didn't want him on Day 1 or Day 2 but was good value at 105.  Nick Saldiveri was also available at 103.  The problem was that these players were gone before our picks at #121, 127, 130, 136, 160, 185, 202, 208, 226 and 240.  I would have loved to take our ten Day 3 picks and convert them into as many picks as possible in the #103 to #113 range.  

We're only talking about moving up 8 spots in the 4th round to get Clark Phillips who I like 10 times better than Ventrell Miller.  I can't believe we couldn't find a way to make it work.  I don't believe that no teams wanted to trade down.  This draft set a new NFL record for the number of draft day trades.  You just had to offer what was fair for this draft.  We clearly had the resources to do so.  The point chart says the move up should only cost us 16 points.  I know it can be different from draft to draft, but double it, triple it, quadruple it, whatever.  We had 170 points available to us.  I can't believe we couldn't make it work and still be left with more draft picks than could realistically make our 53 man roster.  It was a major missed opportunity.

Baalke made it clear that Antonio Johnson will be playing safety and special teams.  He doesn't appear to even be in consideration for the nickel corner role.  That leaves players taken at #202 and #208 to offer competition to Tre Herndon.  We can hope for the best, but I'm not optimistic.  Sadly, Herndon, who sucks, will likely be our starting nickel corner again in 2023.  If so, that will be a major failure of this draft.

(04-30-2023, 08:47 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: it really doesn't matter were your picked it ,all players are  talented in the draft. thier  performace on the field is what will matter.

I wish I could pin this comment. It’s so perfect. 

The bottom line is these guys have to perform

Drafting a RB makes perfect sense. Hasty has potential for a change of pace, gimmicky back, but he cannot be the every down back if ETN goes down. Snoop doesn't seem to have the coaching staffs confidence. The drop from ETN to when he isn't there last season, was drastic. It was a lowkey position of need.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

I challenge anyone to go read past draft grades. Reading them six years later you'll absolutely laugh.

We think players are value based on media reports. Plenty of times they are right but just like all gms they are wrong often.

I was reading the Lamar Jackson draft and almost everyone talked about Josh Rosen as the best QB prospect that draft.

But anyway, most of these guys will fail, across the board. Project failure and be right more often than not. Reading old draft grades makes it clear, the goal is to hit on quality on about three players. Get three starters in a draft and it's a great one.

(04-30-2023, 11:10 AM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 10:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The failure to move back up really bit them in the backside 

Baalke has said 15 teams turned down his attempts to trade back up. 

We have a glut of longshots and spent low capital in places we needed real help. 
Not ideal.

Do you get the sense that people don't want to work with Baalke?  Or maybe he just doesn't have a great understanding of how to value picks?

I don't get any sense that other front offices are averse to working with Baalke. 
He's made some deals in his time here.

I just think that he values positions differently than I do.  I'd not distribute draft capital the way he and this staff have in a few instances, but that's OK. 

Many ways to skin a cat. Hopefully the Baalke/Pederson method ends up panning out. 
Fingers crossed.

(04-30-2023, 10:29 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: There is so much to say about the draft.  If I were to write it in one message, it would be ridiculously long.  I'll start with one of my big observations.  I considered the early 4th round to be the sweet spot in this draft where a lot of excellent value met the Jaguars needs.  You had Clark Phillips at 113, Dawand Jones at 111 and Adetomiwa Adebawore at 110.  I wasn't high on Kelee Ringo and didn't want him on Day 1 or Day 2 but was good value at 105.  Nick Saldiveri was also available at 103.  The problem was that these players were gone before our picks at #121, 127, 130, 136, 160, 185, 202, 208, 226 and 240.  I would have loved to take our ten Day 3 picks and convert them into as many picks as possible in the #103 to #113 range.  

We're only talking about moving up 8 spots in the 4th round to get Clark Phillips who I like 10 times better than Ventrell Miller.  I can't believe we couldn't find a way to make it work.  I don't believe that no teams wanted to trade down.  This draft set a new NFL record for the number of draft day trades.  You just had to offer what was fair for this draft.  We clearly had the resources to do so.  The point chart says the move up should only cost us 16 points.  I know it can be different from draft to draft, but double it, triple it, quadruple it, whatever.  We had 170 points available to us.  I can't believe we couldn't make it work and still be left with more draft picks than could realistically make our 53 man roster.  It was a major missed opportunity.

Baalke made it clear that Antonio Johnson will be playing safety and special teams.  He doesn't appear to even be in consideration for the nickel corner role.  That leaves players taken at #202 and #208 to offer competition to Tre Herndon.  We can hope for the best, but I'm not optimistic.  Sadly, Herndon, who sucks, will likely be our starting nickel corner again in 2023.  If so, that will be a major failure of this draft.

I am thinking a lot of teams viewed the 4th round the way you did, so no trading partner. It was a sweet spot we just were out of position. That just happens at times.

OH my, I truly hope Baalkie doesn't tell the coaches how to play the players.  I do believe in a few D formations the safety drops down and has to cover the slot.

We will now be known as Attackguars cause that's what we will be known for this season

Obviously we drafted some early oline protection to give tlaw some extra time in the pocket

Also the addition of strange gives Trevor another great TE option alongside engram,+stranges blocking ability allows our new and current RB Corp to start running wild

Biggest question mark is defence , year 2 lloyd and year 2 walker, can they go to the next level, and have we found a gem in the rough out of any of the defence we drafted mid to late round this year

(04-30-2023, 03:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 02:30 PM)wassy04 Wrote: I know in theory you could offer value but that doesn't mean there's a bunch of teams willing to do it. If everyone is aware there isn't value further down it implies the teams value the 6/7ths even lower than the models.

There's not many if any examples this year of teams trading into the 3rd round from miles back.

o  No. 56 overall (Round 2) 340
o  No. 88 overall (Round 3) 150
o  No. 121 overall (Round 4) 52
o  No. 127 overall (Round 4) 45
o  No. 130 overall (Round 4) 42
o  No. 160 overall (Round 5) 28
o  No. 185 overall (Round 6) 18
o  No. 202 overall (Round 6) 11
o  No. 208 overall (Round 6) 9
o  No. 226 overall (Round 7) 3
o  No. 240 overall (Round 7) 1

So if we wanted to make an approximately fair offer, we're saying we'd need all three 4ths just to get into round 3 again. Worth it? Were we really willing to give up that much and were other teams still not interested. 

Obviously none of us know but you can get an idea of how difficult it is to try and create another 3rd rounder without giving up your own one.

We could've gone up from 88, 10-15 places perhaps but would've likely been giving up a lot still. 

I kind of think taking a bunch of dart throws/role players is a better strategy personally.

It was a gamble by Baalke and it didn't pay off.

I don't put it 100% on the FO and staff they couldn't find a partner, but it is a failure at the end of the day. 

Baalke has now used a first, a third, a fifth and two sixths in three drafts at RB for a pass first team. 
That third rounder with ball security issues does need to pay off.
We had greater needs.

Baalke has a RB fetish. He has drafted one every year he has been a GM.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-01-2023, 03:19 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 03:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It was a gamble by Baalke and it didn't pay off.

I don't put it 100% on the FO and staff they couldn't find a partner, but it is a failure at the end of the day. 

Baalke has now used a first, a third, a fifth and two sixths in three drafts at RB for a pass first team. 
That third rounder with ball security issues does need to pay off.
We had greater needs.

Baalke has a RB fetish. He has drafted one every year he has been a GM.

Rubbing Back ?

The strange pick makes me wonder if engram maybe is not gonna be here long term.

(05-01-2023, 07:57 AM)Newton Wrote: The strange pick makes me wonder if engram maybe is not gonna be here long term.

Possibly, but nothing wrong with having two good TEs of he does stay long term.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-01-2023, 07:57 AM)Newton Wrote: The strange pick makes me wonder if engram maybe is not gonna be here long term.

I wonder what Engram is asking for, and how far apart the negotiations are.