Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
GOP Debate thoughts

(11-09-2023, 10:08 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(11-09-2023, 09:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: Did Haley use those words?  Or did she point out that China is America's enemy and that Vivek is helping China by using TikTok so much? You and I buy oil from Saudis, which helps America's enemies, but neither of us is anti-American.

He's not fighting for you though. Nor is he fighting to change any policy or anything about how government works. He's just fighting for the respect he feels he is owed, nothing more.  Which is why when he picks a fight he always picks the most petty and pointless fight possible.

Tomato tomato to your first response (that works better in person). Is Haley's daughter helping China by using TikTok so much? The point is the same.

To your second, if his vanity works in my interest, so be it. Even if he wants America to be the nicest house on the block for his own self-interest, that works for me. Trump did a fine job of keeping us out of wars and trying to bring back jobs and securing us resources. I'll take that any day over what we have currently.

Any person who uses TikTok might be helping China.  The point is the same.  Adults with grown children often disagree with things that their grown children have freely chosen to do.  None of us get to bring that Thanksgiving table discussion out to the whole public, unless both the parent and the grown kid have freely chosen to be public figures.  Otherwise it's rude and unproductive.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2023, 10:33 PM by Lucky2Last.)

Oh, absolutely I would. If I'm sitting across the table from you, and you're giving me a lecture on not drinking while your adult daughter is drinking the same thing, I would call you out for it. That is not an abnormal defense.

Still, again, I can't see any way in which this is an attack on his daughter. She's criticizing him for using it. He says he's using it to reach young people, and that Republicans are missing the boat by not getting their messaging out to younger audiences. She criticizes him again for using it, and he points out her daughter is using it. It's not a criticism of her daughter. It's a criticism of Nikki Haley.

(11-09-2023, 10:29 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Oh, absolutely I would. If I'm sitting across the table from you, and you're giving me a lecture on not drinking while your adult daughter is drinking the same thing, I would call you out for it. That is not an abnormal defense.

Still, again, I can't see any way in which this is an attack on his daughter. She's criticizing him for using it. He says he's using it to reach young people, and that Republicans are missing the boat by not getting their messaging out to younger audiences. She criticizes him again for using it, and he points out her daughter is using it. It's not a criticism of her daughter. It's a criticism of Nikki Haley.

I already agreed with you that he's not criticizing the daughter.  He's attempting to criticize Haley but there's nothing Haley can do to address the criticism so it's very unfair.  Obviously if hypothetical President Haley is able to ban TikTok, her daughter will have to stop using it.

But it's not about banning TikTok. His argument for using TikTok is that's where you reach younger audiences, which is something that Republicans desperately need. Vivek has already said that he would prevent ALL American companies from sending data to China. He agrees that there's a problem. His solution is different. Until then, he's just saying why wouldn't you go where the young people are to get your messaging out. Pointing out her daughter uses wins both arguments. It wasn't a "scum" comment.

(11-09-2023, 10:41 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: But it's not about banning TikTok. His argument for using TikTok is that's where you reach younger audiences, which is something that Republicans desperately need. Vivek has already said that he would prevent ALL American companies from sending data to China. He agrees that there's a problem. His solution is different. Until then, he's just saying why wouldn't you go where the young people are to get your messaging out. Pointing out her daughter uses wins both arguments. It wasn't a "scum" comment.

The problem is not just the Chinese government knowing I prefer Dunkin over Starbucks.  The bigger problem with TikTok is that the Chinese government can gain control of the things I see and the order I see them in.  They can subtly influence our political discussion.  Vivek's "solution" doesn't address that part.

How can they see that if companies operating in America can't send that data to China?

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2023, 12:49 AM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-09-2023, 08:25 PM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(11-09-2023, 06:08 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: No reason to abandon him.. At all..

Not going to abandon him because these liberal democrats make up lies and bull [BLEEP] just because they don't like him..

Russia Russia Russia!!

And the Republican party is compromised and taken over by RINOs.. They may be Republicans, but definitely not conservative..

People like you don't have the requisite intellectual capacity to vote.  Christ.

You don't want this smoke..

Like I stated..

Did I lie?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(11-10-2023, 12:09 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: How can they see that if companies operating in America can't send that data to China?

They just make the decision to promote certain posts without even telling you why they are promoted.

(11-09-2023, 11:05 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-09-2023, 10:41 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: But it's not about banning TikTok. His argument for using TikTok is that's where you reach younger audiences, which is something that Republicans desperately need. Vivek has already said that he would prevent ALL American companies from sending data to China. He agrees that there's a problem. His solution is different. Until then, he's just saying why wouldn't you go where the young people are to get your messaging out. Pointing out her daughter uses wins both arguments. It wasn't a "scum" comment.

The problem is not just the Chinese government knowing I prefer Dunkin over Starbucks.  The bigger problem with TikTok is that the Chinese government can gain control of the things I see and the order I see them in.  They can subtly influence our political discussion.  Vivek's "solution" doesn't address that part.

I deleted TikTok about a month ago for that reason. It started as a mindless short video app and then the videos got more specific and interesting to me personally. Then every once in a while I'd get some strange video with a pro Russia or anti USA or pro china stance and it was painfully obvious. Then those strange videos became more common. It was almost like they try and send you subliminal messages to change your way of thinking about a topic intentionally.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(11-10-2023, 06:49 AM)EricC85 Wrote:
(11-09-2023, 11:05 PM)mikesez Wrote: The problem is not just the Chinese government knowing I prefer Dunkin over Starbucks.  The bigger problem with TikTok is that the Chinese government can gain control of the things I see and the order I see them in.  They can subtly influence our political discussion.  Vivek's "solution" doesn't address that part.

I deleted TikTok about a month ago for that reason. It started as a mindless short video app and then the videos got more specific and interesting to me personally. Then every once in a while I'd get some strange video with a pro Russia or anti USA or pro china stance and it was painfully obvious. Then those strange videos became more common. It was almost like they try and send you subliminal messages to change your way of thinking about a topic intentionally.

Almost?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-10-2023, 06:02 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 12:09 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: How can they see that if companies operating in America can't send that data to China?

They just make the decision to promote certain posts without even telling you why they are promoted.

Fair point.