Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 3 talk: Houston vs Jax

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2023, 08:16 AM by JaguarJosh2. Edited 1 time in total.)

The loss this past week isn't sitting well at all. Need a bounce back game.

Hoping we haven't regressed into a bad team.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2023, 08:44 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

This schedule looks plenty tough. it’s time to get the offense running on all cylinders. Have to beat the teams you should.

(09-19-2023, 08:41 AM)Jag88 Wrote: This schedule looks plenty tough.. it’s time to get the offense running on all cylinders.

Yeah. It's starting to shape up into something a little bit more challenging now. I can tell you from what I saw last night with the Steelers and Browns that I am absolutely mortified for Lawrence against those pair of front fours/seven's. 

Those two defensive units are relentless. They attack you from all angles. It's not just Watt and Garrett you have to worry about now. It's also Highsmith and Herbig with Watt and Smith with Garrett. 

The Buccaneers are getting a good Baker Mayfield at the moment who is finding Mike Evans open constantly. The Saints and Panthers were a little scrappy and sloppy at times last night but they do have talent on offense and defense and you cannot sleep on any of these teams.

Even the Falcons look like a tough team to square off against in London. This defense has been doing it's job and keeping us in these games the first two weeks, for sure. However, at some point, they'll be due for an off game and this offense is going to be summoned to make up for it. 

If they don't start scheming away from their weaknesses offensively we'll be in a lot of trouble. Probably looking at another 9 - 8 team. We probably need to try and sweep the whole damn division at this point.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-18-2023, 06:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 06:08 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I'd would be very happy with 3-1 and its a realistic expectation for us. I think we can beat Buffalo in London too and that would really kick us on. 

Your exactly right, we were never going 17-0 and we were never going to put up 50 a game. This year will have its ups and downs and we will have stupid losses and surprises wins. It all leads to January and its easy to forget this team had no playoff experience before last year. They are a work in progress and these are the games you study and keep a chip on your shoulder about and when you meet them again...then it's payback.

Houston isnt a lock as they beat us last year we gave the game away at home and Atlanta is looking very good right now.  That dline will give us problems and they have a really good secondary.  Not to mention they have a very good oline, London, Bijan, and Pitts.  Atlanta game is going to be a tough one

FTFY

If not for that dumb Travon penalty I seriously doubt tinhorns get that dub.

I think we're going to be rough up front until Cam comes back, as loathe as I am to say it. Maybe that can solidify the line enough to improve it. Little is our best lineman but Cam can't play guard, so it's gonna be about getting the best five dudes out there.

I think we win the next two. I'm slowly recovering from the loss. I expected to lose initially. I just don't think I expected to hold the Chiefs to 17 and only score 9.

[BLEEP] the tinhorns..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Texans Oline is garbage. Rookie QB on the road.

This is the get right game.

(09-19-2023, 10:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Texans Oline is garbage. Rookie QB on the road.

This is the get right game.

I'd have to agree ... Do our film study, do our tactical work and show them due respect... 

But sometimes it's as simple as put that chip on your shoulder, go out and smash them and don't stop till the clock hits 0:00

Just like when Denver was supposed to beat Jacksonville in 1996.

(09-19-2023, 10:41 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Just like when Denver was supposed to beat Jacksonville in 1996.
Is anyone saying that upsets don't happen? No.

However, there are favorites going into every single game. Someone is projected to win and right now, that's the Jags.

Will they win? Maybe. Are the expected to win? Yes.

Lageman just said not too long ago that the tinhorns have a 5th or 6th RD rookie starting at center this Sunday. As good as Stroud has played turnover free with high volume he's still running for his life.

He said the big guys up front on our end have played well over the last two weeks. He's not sure about Allen's status with his shoulder but at any rate, Fatukasi and RRH have been keeping Oluokon and Lloyd clean to make tackles and remain free out there. He said it's a shame Hamilton is still out because this would have been a game for him to flash more than likely his pass rushing ability in the interior.

If Allen is out, he said Walker will have a lot on his shoulders. Didn't see much out of Abdullah.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-19-2023, 11:36 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Lageman just said not too long ago that the tinhorns have a 5th or 6th RD rookie starting at center this Sunday. As good as Stroud has played turnover free with high volume he's still running for his life.

He said the big guys up front on our end have played well over the last two weeks. He's not sure about Allen's status with his shoulder but at any rate, Fatukasi and RRH have been keeping Oluokon and Lloyd clean to make tackles and remain free out there. He said it's a shame Hamilton is still out because this would have been a game for him to flash more than likely his pass rushing ability in the interior.

If Allen is out, he said Walker will have a lot on his shoulders. Didn't see much out of Abdullah.

RRH was credited with three pressures vs KC

Could be a good game for him to strike gold. 

I'd work those inside stunts and twists for Walker a bunch too. 

The center, Patterson is a weak point as is the LG Josh Jones who is a backup tackle moved to guard and he's struggled so far with a PFF grade of 45 through two weeks.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2023, 02:04 PM by AnOldBrownie. Edited 1 time in total.)

Our PFF ratings for Fortner, Scherff and Harrison were beyond bad in the Chiefs game. If the coaching staff can't figure out how to get them to "execute" better this game will be a toss up.

Even with the poor pass block rating the Jaguars weren't bad running the ball against the Chiefs. Run the ball to set up the pass, and stick with it.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

Last year we got shocked in the first game against the Texans, and then we brought the beat down to them in the the second game.

(09-19-2023, 02:03 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Our PFF ratings for Fortner, Scherff and Harrison were beyond bad in the Chiefs game.  If the coaching staff can't figure out how to get them to "execute" better this game will be a toss up.

Even with the poor pass block rating the Jaguars weren't bad running the ball against the Chiefs.    Run the ball to set up the pass, and stick with it.

They kind of gave up on the running game here and there. Which made no sense in a one possession game. They still struggled in creating any running lanes though for Etienne early. 

I think what they need to do, is, more of the TE's being sent in motion and pulling back inside. They did that a few times and Etienne was getting 5 - 6 YPC on the two to three attempts they did it. 

This is a good foundation to build around IMHO. If you think about it, if you can run the football well enough on 1st and 2nd downs utilizing Engram, Strange and Farrell in this regard? It could help set-up some nice play action options later on in the game. Where a guy like Engram or Strange pretends like they're motioning inside to block for Etienne but it's actually a nice route being leaked out into the flat for 10+ yards or more. 

Engram is especially good after the catch. Strange has the physicality as well to his game to where he could contribute in a similar fashion. You took him and Bigsby in the 2nd and 3rd RD respectively in April. I know it's early but they need to get them involved more.

(09-19-2023, 02:03 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Our PFF ratings for Fortner, Scherff and Harrison were beyond bad in the Chiefs game.  If the coaching staff can't figure out how to get them to "execute" better this game will be a toss up.

Even with the poor pass block rating the Jaguars weren't bad running the ball against the Chiefs.    Run the ball to set up the pass, and stick with it.

When the o~line is struggling, it’s hard to do play action.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2023, 02:47 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(09-19-2023, 02:40 PM)Jag88 Wrote:

When the o~line is struggling, it’s hard to do play action.

It is, depending on the formation and personnel, they had a real chance I think to keep exploiting that TE set that had Engram and Strange motioning back inside to push the interior back enough to let Etienne get some more wiggle room and speed going. He almost broke a tackle on one of those plays and could have had more than 5. 

I hope they see this on film. Strange also got WIDE OPEN at some point in a similar situation. So, as cited above, there's a lot to be built around foundationally here if they just commit to it. It's only a matter of time before they gel again. I am not sweating it too much just yet.

One of my favorite plays they ran last year was the bootleg to the right with the TE motioning over from one side and then working the middle of the defense on a nice extended drag route. Damn near every time they tried that with Arnold it was a nice 1st down. There's no reason they can't incorporate this into the offense. Especially now with Ridley commanding more attention on the outside to draw the CB and SS/FS away from that area of the field.

The offense has just not clicked yet. I hope we see them come alive Sunday.

I'd be looking to get ETN 16 carries or more ~20+ touches this Sunday

We tend to win when he gets hot. Gotta get him going.

Knock off half of the over-the-top clever stuff and gimmick/gadget plays.
Our more standard pass plays give defenses plenty to worry about and as folks are saying - utilize the TEs in the run game instead of a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

This offense can produce without needing a ton of flea-flicker-no-look-behind-the-back-pump-fake to-the-decoy-shovel-pass-to-the-kick-returner nonsense. Just line up and beat the damn guy across from you.

(09-19-2023, 02:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd be looking to get ETN 16 carries or more ~20+ touches this Sunday

We tend to win when he gets hot. Gotta get him going.

Knock off half of the over-the-top clever stuff and gimmick/gadget plays.
Our more standard pass plays give defenses plenty to worry about and as folks are saying - utilize the TEs in the run game instead of a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

This offense can produce without needing a ton of flea-flicker-no-look-behind-the-back-pump-fake to-the-decoy-shovel-pass-to-the-kick-returner nonsense. Just line up and beat the damn guy across from you.

I don't think the coaching staff believes this with Harrison and Scherff on the right?   Trick plays need to be dialed up because the O-line is losing when it comes to man to man blocking.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!