Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big Picture Thread

(01-18-2024, 05:26 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 03:18 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I've got to say I'm loving your posts. Definitely one of the good posters who offers good ideas and debates.

I've been thinking about the Oline for a few days and my thoughts have changed a few times this season. I saw Cam as an easy cut this offseason and an easy way to save some cap. Scherff's performances worried me and I sadly don't see him being much better next year. Little offers us some good versatility but he needs to start playing one position and working on improving there and he didn't have a season where he seems a ready made replacement for Cam but I do think it may be better to let Cam and Scherff walk this offseason, bring in 2 OL in the draft, add another 2 in FA and use camp to work out your best 5 and ride with that knowing you have some depth if you have injuries or it's not working. 

It will be interesting to see who they go for as DC and not seen too many names linked yet so not really sure what direction they go in. Will they look to have the same kind of system? Go for a 4-3? Let the new DC use a system they want? We need some more quality depth all over the D and I hope we try and add some vets on reasonable deals to go with the youth we have. Dine definitely needs more talent but where we focus will depend on new DC.

I get peoples thoughts on Baalke and am no way saying they are wrong. I think that first season FA signings have been what's bought him time. Mostly they've been a success but his draft picks haven't been great. I have a lot of the same worries and concerns as everyone else does but I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt right now but this is a make ot break offseason for him. There are a lot of big decisions he needs to get right not just to save his job but to keep this team progressing in the right direction.
First of all, thanks for the compliment. I've always been a devoted fan and had season tickets until 2 years ago- when they started winning again! At this point, I prefer to just watch at home and not have to deal with heat, $10 beer (or higher) and PTSD after so many horrible seasonsSmile. The draft has always been my passion and now that I'm retired there is even more time to devote to it. 

That's enough about me. As far as your other comments, the new defensive coordinator's preferred scheme should definitely influence the free agent and draft selections made by Baalke and staff. It will be interesting to see in which direction they go. I'm a big believer, however, that play-calling and schemes can be overrated; the teams that draft the best players (and free agent selection) will consistently have the best records. The Ravens and Steelers have been 2 of the best franchises for several years due to their success in the draft. Baalke did have success with his free agents and deserves credit for that. As you said, it is likely the reason he remains the general manager despite his poor record in the draft. It's also obvious that Shad Khan has a very slow trigger when it comes to firing coaches and general managers (with the exception of Urban Meyer). As diehard fans, we can just hope he makes the right decisions this off-season in free agency and the draft. If he does, the Jaguars should rebound next season and compete with the Texans for the AFC South title with the good chance of winning a couple playoff games.
Looking forward to your draft takes this offseason.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!