Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: OLB Dan Skuta of 49ers signing with Jags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I'm speachless too..
5 years 20.5 mil? Seems like we are really overpaying for guys.

Otto?

Quote:Otto?

notto?
Quote:notto?
6'2" 251, 4.68

Five sacks last year while playing as a part-time starter during Aldon Smith's absence, three in consecutive games. No one's going to mistake him for Von Miller, but he could hold down Otto for a year or two while a mid-round rookie is developed to take over long-term.
San Francisco fans love him. Are talking how he will be missed. Denver fans are just plain ignorant about JT. If JT don't work out we just move on. They act like we are scum for signing him. 

Same fans I remember in 1996. :whistling:

Quote:San Francisco fans love him. Are talking how he will be missed. Denver fans are just plain ignorant about JT. If JT don't work out we just move on. They act like we are scum for signing him. 

Same fans I remember in 1996. :whistling:
JT had a penchant for being lazy in pass protection, so much that Shannon Sharpe even got on him for it.

He was also pretty inconsistent, but I feel like that may have been more of an injury thing because he wasn't always like that

I'm still excited to see what he brings to the table. If the Jags keep Marcedes Lewis, it'll be interesting to see how often he's on the field with Thomas.
Quote:Otto?

I'd guess so.
Finally, someone on the roster who.is actually built to play the Otto.

The more I read about Skuta, the more I like this signing. He was a defensive end in college, so he's got some pass rush ability. Looks like he might have just been a late-bloomer in the pros. I don't see this as a Dekoda Watson-esque disaster for a couple of reasons. One, Skuta has actually <i>done</i> something other than run really fast. Two, when you watch him on tape (video below), he actually looks pretty good. Great motor, able to disengage from blockers, a surprising set of wheels and very sure tackling. I really get the feeling that he's the guy signed to play Otto for a couple of years while the linebacker they draft in the fifth round this year learns the game. He can also play inside...worth noting.

Holy [BLEEP]. Seriously we are overpaying by a significant amount here, but its not my money so I'm really not able to discourage it.

Quote:Holy [BAD WORD REMOVED]. Seriously we are overpaying by a significant amount here, but its not my money so I'm really not able to discourage it.
Let's see the contract first. Could be backloaded.
He has only been in twenty-two career starts and giving him that sort of money? Yipes! Blush

Salvaging the shipwreck
Well my excitement over the new Tight end is over, now it's back to reality. This looks like catching a guy who had one decent year and throwing the wallet at him. In 5 previous years he had a whopping .5 sack. That was not 5, that was 1/2 sack in 5 years. and averaged around 30 tackles per year, 15 solo per year.

I thought this was such a deep FA pool, it seems rather shallow on this end.

If a FA is just a guy, pickup an OLB in the 5th round, it's going to work out the same in all probability and for cheaper.

4 mil AAV is a lot now? I'd guess it is low signing bonus (like 4 mil total) and almost all of the guaranteed money is in the first two years. If he proves to be a solid starting OTTO it will be a steal, and if he isn't we can wipe our hands of him with absolutely zero long term impact. PFFs blurb on him is nice too. 

22:00 SIGNING! The Jaguars are back in the news with the reported signing of OLB Dan Skuta per Adam Caplan. Skuta comes over from the 49ers where he had a strong showing in 2013 in particular when he graded at +8.8 overall including two sacks, four QB Hits, and 14 hurries on just 106 rushes. He had a stellar pass rushing effort last season as well in a part-time role, grading at +2.7 with two sacks, a hit and eight hurries on 113 rushes. Skuta also has experience dropping into coverage (-1.8 last two years) while tacking on 13 solo tackles on special teams the last two years.

It's amazing how many people are upset that the Jags have made one big signing and a bunch of mid-tier guys. It's almost like they've forgotten how real-life free agency works.
I don't see the issue with this signing. 4 mil for a possible starting Otto. If he improves his numbers from last year then this is a grand slam signing.

If he puts up the same numbers the it was worth it.
Mason foster. He can play the same position and is better than Skuta. I understand FA, but these type of players were going for 1-2 mi last year, inflation is bad but this is a bit much. Much of the SF LB corp makes less than a million. We signed Dekota Watson for 1.5 just last year for the same otto position. There are good players out there, like Foster, I don't think Skuta is in his class.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6