Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Specifically, where are the weaknesses on the offensive line.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I've heard/read nothing but good things about Linder and Bowenko.  I'm assuming the problem is at LT and RT?

Jernigan was not facing OTs.

The whole Oline, except Brandon Linder
Quote:I've heard/read nothing but good things about Linder and Bowenko.  I'm assuming the problem is at LT and RT?

Bowanko is definitely not playing well either. The guards are the only ones playing at a decent level (Beadles gets unfairly bashed because he's a free agent, not a draft pick). 
communication and blitz recognition......and they're weaker and smaller than most of the d-linemen

Lt, C, RT, LG in that order are the problem.

There are communication issues. People seem to forget that the center, who normally calls out protections, is a rookie. That is exacerbated by the QB, who also assist in calling out protections and identifying the Mike linebacker, is also a rookie. Blake was responsible for a couple of sacks himself when he decided to bail a rare, clean pocket. Then you add in a journeyman RT, a struggling 2nd year LT, and up and down play from the LG (who is having to help the struggling LT) you have what you saw today.
Too many lineman standing around while a play is happening means they are getting beat at the snap and are being shed from Defensive players way too often-Basically they are getting man-handled. 

Too many examples of complete lack of communication and awareness. 

No continuity for even a quarter of offensive possessions

Very poor technique. 

Not built like a lot of dominant Offensive Lines in the league. Many look like tight ends. 

Joeckel is not impressive. Average in run blocking but certainly not NFL ready. 

#32 in pass protection

#31 in QB hits

#27 in Run blocking

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Players and scheme seem to be the biggest issues.

The Problem is ZBS (zone blocking scheme)

Quote:The Problem is ZBS (zone blocking scheme)

Don't even start with this.

The OT's are flat out getting beat on 1v1's. The interior has communication problems (passing off guys, identifying blitzers, etc) and also will get beat 1v1. It's just an all around cluster *expletive deleted* out there right now.
The biggest issue with this OL is that they aren't good at blocking. Other than that, this is a solid group.
All of that.  It also doesn't help that we find ourself in 2nd and 3rd down and longs all the time.  The D is just pinning their ears back and coming after us because we never get "ahead of the chains"...
Quote:All of that.  It also doesn't help that we find ourself in 2nd and 3rd down and longs all the time.  The D is just pinning their ears back and coming after us because we never get "ahead of the chains"...

This is a HUGE problem for sure. We are NEVER ahead of the sticks so every team gets to pin their ears back on 2nd\3rd and long. The offensive line is nowhere good enough to handle that.
It's a line of boys, no men. As other have stated, they are simply losing the 1v1 match up to players who are bigger, stronger, faster, etc.

Hopefully they overhaul the oline the way they did the Dline last season. They need to bring in two or three fully developed players who can add some beef and strength to the line.
Quote:It's a line of boys, no men. As other have stated, they are simply losing the 1v1 match up to players who are bigger, stronger, faster, etc.

Hopefully they overhaul the oline the way they did the Dline last season. They need to bring in two or three fully developed players who can add some beef and strength to the line.
I agree.  I think we should go O line early in the draft and get some vets in here too.  This bunch isn't getting it done.  We need the beef up front to blow the defenders off the line.  Fix that line and the offense improves.
Communication is off, and they are physically outmatched.

Linder looks like he has potential, and I like Bowanko, but he is very young. Physically, he looks tough, but he's a step behind mentally.

Bowanko struggled against Jernigan because Jernigan is an athlete.  Bowanko will struggle with those kind of guys one on one through out his career.  

1. Weight Room

2. Playing Time

3. Training Table

4. Depth
We have issues at left and right tackle, left and right guard, and center. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7