Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How quickly could a quality offensive/defensive coordinator turn this team around?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I think a quality(subjective) coordinator could do it in an off-season and have this team ready by next year's pre-season. Every year at least one or two teams do a complete 180 in defense or offensive rankings based on a new coach coming in and taking the reigns.

If the Jags replace either Babich or preferably Fisch with a quality coordinator, they could have either squads at least in the middle of the pack based on current personnel and potential FA/draft picks. I could even see the defense being in the top 10.

Thoughts?

I think the results won't be top 5 but top 15 would be achievable in the second season.

I voted for all three

If they keep Fisch and Babich: 

I think this defense could be ranked between 15-20th in the league just by upgrading the FS and OTTO.  (George and/or Poz at MLB)

I think this offense could be/will be ranked 18-23rd in the league just by letting Bortles, Lee, the Robinsons, and a young line mature over another offseason together.

It's literally the youngest starting unit in the NFL.

(I looked at the 5 youngest rosters and analyzed their offensive depth charts)

A coordinator change might help.

Or it might not.   Better players in the back 7 on D and a year to mature on offense definitely will improve these units.

I don't honestly know what Fisch could have done to make the offense much better with the pieces he has been given.

Quote:I think this defense could be ranked between 15-20th in the league just by upgrading the FS and OTTO.  (George and/or Poz at MLB)

I think this offense could be/will be ranked 18-23rd in the league just by letting Bortles, Lee, the Robinsons, and a young line mature through another offseason together.  It's literally the youngest starting unit in the NFL. (I looked at the 4 other youngest rosters and analyzed their offensive depth chart)

A coordinator change might help. Might not. 
Agreed but I think our defense can be top 10 with that.  We're already ~top 5 for sacks, fumbles, and TDs.  The offense improving will help them too so they can pin their ears back sometimes and not be on the field so long.
Guarantee even a mediocre OC wouldn't have this team ranked 31st two years in a row. 

Quote:Guarantee even a mediocre OC wouldn't have this team ranked 31st two years in a row. 

Yeah. He would have had Gabbert dropping bombs to Mike Brown and Kerry Taylor while Mike Brewster and Cam Bradfield were plowing through defenders.

It can be really fast.

Recall the texans from 2010 to 2011?

They got Watt and a better defensive coach and went from worst in the league to practically the best in the league in one offseason.

Quote:Yeah. He would have had Gabbert dropping bombs to Mike Brown and Kerry Taylor while Mike Brewster and Cam Bradfield were plowing through defenders.

That's really the crux of it.  Youth needs to mature, and we need to continue to add better players.
Quote:I don't honestly know what Fisch could have done to make the offense much better with the pieces he has been given.
This.  6 starting rookies and a revolving door of injured receivers and backs = 2-10 with pretty much any offensive coordinator.  Don't know if he's the right guy or not but he was dealt a bad hand this year.
Never underestimate the job a great offensive or defensive minded coordinator could do on a team, especially a young team like the Jags.

Also, never underestimate the job a really good head coach can do versus just an average head coach.

The difference will be very noticeable on the field.

Does anyone on here think Gus could do what Arians has done with the exact same team, after losing their #1 QB?

I sure wonder what Arians could do here with the exact same team, compare to what Gus has done.

I'd like to think we have both (including Gus as part of the DC package).

Nobody could have taken this offense and made it legit.

Rookies

QB

WR1

WR2

WR3

C

G

Year 2

RB1 - transitioned from QB

LT

Injury replacement

TE - Harbor

RT - insert name here

THE ABOVE SCENARIO WAS JUST WAY TO CRAZY TO HAVE ANY EXPECTATIONS.

Quote:It can be really fast.

Recall the texans from 2010 to 2011?

They got Watt and a better defensive coach and went from worst in the league to practically the best in the league in one offseason.

So Watt was the only talent they added?
Great ones can do it quickly, but I think position coaches' influences are always undervalued and play a larger role in turning it around.

Shula with Garrard and Sullivan with our receivers for example. 

Quote:So Watt was the only talent they added?

They also added Johnathan Joseph and Daniel Manning, I think.
Quote:Great ones can do it quickly, but I think position coaches' influences are always undervalued and play a larger role in turning it around.

Shula with Garrard and Sullivan with our receivers for example. 

I would agree, but

That said, Fisch isn't a good fit for a QB like Bortles. Bortles isn't a West coast offense QB any more than Eli Manning is. Both the Giants OC and Fisch have done more harm than good to their offenses and QB's. Both teams need traditional downfield offense OC's. 
Quote:I don't honestly know what Fisch could have done to make the offense much better with the pieces he has been given.

I agree with that.   
Quote:I would agree, but

That said, Fisch isn't a good fit for a QB like Bortles. Bortles isn't a West coast offense QB any more than Eli Manning is. Both the Giants OC and Fisch have done more harm than good to their offenses and QB's. Both teams need traditional downfield offense OC's. 

I think there is a lot of truth in there.

Sometimes the OC just isn't a good fit for the QB to maximize his strengths.

Let's just hope that either Fisch can adjust (which is unlikely) or the Jags don't take too long to realize this and bring in an OC more suited to what Bortles does best.
Quote:I think a quality(subjective) coordinator could do it in an off-season and have this team ready by next year's pre-season. Every year at least one or two teams do a complete 180 in defense or offensive rankings based on a new coach coming in and taking the reigns.

If the Jags replace either Babich or preferably Fisch with a quality coordinator, they could have either squads at least in the middle of the pack based on current personnel and potential FA/draft picks. I could even see the defense being in the top 10.

Thoughts?

The first thing is you have to have talent surrounding you.  The problem is the debate on how much talent is on the Jaguars team is always reloving each year no matter whom is in charge, as fans it seems as if every year this decade has been a rebuilding year and that the team was so void of talent.... I just dont buy that.  Its the NFL.  If you are drafted or selected you probably are extremely athletic, and only need to be coached up.

A great coach for example Andy Reid was able to turn around the KC Cheifs from being the worst team in the league to going undefeated for almost the entire season & into the playoffs.  He took a team that people thought had no talent and made them stars.  It was almost like over night Jamaal Charles became a star.  He had to find a QB and settled for Alex Smith, and he still doesnt have a great core of WRs yet the offense is able to be productive.  The team collapased in the playoffs and struggled a bit this year, but they are still way better than before Andy took over.

In regards to your specific question how fast can a coordinator turn this team around depends on those above him.  If a Owner, GM / President or Head Coach over rides him he could be simply a clip board holder yet getting all of the blame and less of the credit of success.   If he is given total reign over his domain, than a great coach can change things in a couple weeks.  The players are as smart as they are athletic and it really doesnt take that long to learn a playbook (unless your a bad coach that tries to over whelm them with confusion). 

In the end its only plays, its only words, you do have to have the players execute what you are attempting to do.   That again can be attributed to a great coach to motivate them to succeed.  In my lifetime I've seen average players perform great after simply working with a great coach in one year, and while they remain good sometimes forever after that coach has left sometimes they do regress without the coaching.  

If coaches werent imporant they wouldnt get paid as much.  The best way to tell if a coach is doing well is by how the team performs. 

We continue to hear how great Gus Bradley is and how if only the fans remain supportive things will change but this season hasnt been promising.  I'm not calling for Gus Bradley to get fired, dont get confused with what I'm saying but I am saying the remaining season has to improve for the talk of it to go away.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6