Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is "Tanking" good business?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
It was a great game Sunday. The Jags rallying from behind to kick a last second field goal, then to top it off a strip sack to ice the game. That rare feeling of winning I've come to know as a Jaguars fan. Then the ugly truth set in. No, no there goes the first pick in the draft. We could of would of should of won the Mariota sweepstakes. Auctioning off the pick to set us up for future success. Mariota has been compared to Kaepernick. I don't believe so. A better passer with better pocket presence. More like Aaron Rodgers, extending plays with his legs, but winning with his arm. We've already invested a top pick in Bortles, but there's at least a handful of teams that'd love to take Mariota. Should we tank the season for a top, or "the" top pick. At least we'd win something.

P.S. This feeling of hoping for a top pick is getting old.
After RG3 no one is giving up a a lot for the top pick anyway. Winston is a headcase that is going to scare teams away and the Raiders are a lock for the #1 pick so they'll take or deal Mariota if they want.

We have our QB. Wins are what matter now. I mean Landon Collins is a beast but he aint going in the top 5. Winning some games will justify us using a top 10 pick on him, though.

No

Quote:No

/thread
Tank is the new BAP

Remember last year around this time?  Teddy Bridgewater was the second coming and sure fire top 3 pick if not the top pick overall.  It didn't end up playing out that way in May.  The other flaw in the argument of rooting for your team to lose is that when drafts are revisited years later and hypothetically re-drafted they never end up anywhere close to how they actually played out.  That alone should tell you not to worry about draft position until maybe the final week of the season if not just wait until the season is over.  If your scouting and GM are superior to most of the teams in the league, your team will be fine.  Just enjoy watching your team win, even if you are already out of the playoffs.  It's what fans are supposed to do.  There shouldn't be any conditions on when to root for your team if you truly have an emotional attachment to them.  Yet we have plenty of "conditional fans", at least on this message board.

The clots tanked. It is working out pretty well for them.

This again? Its worth it if you already suck and there is a Luck type prospect...... I cant wait for a season where we are not having this discussion. .
Quote:The clots tanked. It is working out pretty well for them.

Ah, it's that time of year. The myth of the Colts tanking. Kind of like the myth of half-time adjustments.
We should have lost on purpose. Stupid Jaguars.

You can have #1 pick for 5 years in a row, bad GMs / coaches will still get the team no where.

We have our QB, time to win and build around him
Quote:No
Amen!
Quote:The clots tanked. It is working out pretty well for them.

Andrew Luck available this year?
I don't trust Caldwell with a top 3 pick anyway.
Not Again. This is the worse part of being a jags fan, the annual "Should we tank for a draft pick?"

Crapola feed. It's a dish best left unread, so I'm not reading it, just commenting. Carry on. Or let it die right now. After my last words of course. (humor)

Quote:We have our QB, time to win and build around him

This.   ^^^

Besides, how many years are we supposed to keep tanking for the #1 pick?   At some point, the program has to get some traction and we have to start winning.   That means there probably has to be at least one season where we have "meaningless" wins. 

Besides, if you don't get some wins, the players will start mentally checking out, no matter how much they love Gus.   Eventually, the players will get tired of losing and they will lose faith in the program.  That will be the end of this coaching staff and the start of yet another rebuild.  

It's time to start winning. 

Quote:It was a great game Sunday. The Jags rallying from behind to kick a last second field goal, then to top it off a strip sack to ice the game. That rare feeling of winning I've come to know as a Jaguars fan. Then the ugly truth set in. No, no there goes the first pick in the draft. We could of would of should of won the Mariota sweepstakes. Auctioning off the pick to set us up for future success. Mariota has been compared to Kaepernick. I don't believe so. A better passer with better pocket presence. More like Aaron Rodgers, extending plays with his legs, but winning with his arm. We've already invested a top pick in Bortles, but there's at least a handful of teams that'd love to take Mariota. Should we tank the season for a top, or "the" top pick. At least we'd win something.

P.S. This feeling of hoping for a top pick is getting old.

[Image: ARIGOLD.gif]
Our GM's draft busts. Tanking is not the answer.
Quote:I don't trust Caldwell with a top 3 pick anyway.

Quote:Our GM's draft busts. Tanking is not the answer.

Glad our "Under the Bridge" contingent could chime in today.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6