Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cyprien a bust?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
We are closing in on year 2 and I haven't seen a lick of progress from this guy.  A good SS does 2 things.  The first thing is they come down and thump the rb or second they make wr's fear going across the middle.  This guy does neither.

1. He is horrible against the run.  Bad angles, poor technique, bad reads, etc.  I think he has made 1 impressive tackle all  year.  His signature move is grasping at air or ankles while a runner laughs at him eating their dust.

2. He is terrible in the passing game.   All season long he has blown coverages and allowed us to get beat for long gains.  He was soley responsible for the backbreaking TD last week.  To be blunt he flat out sucks

I know some people will come on here and scream it's only his second year.  While true you normally see flashes of a young player developing into something great.  I haven't seen anything from Cyprien.  In my eyes he is a bust and time to move on.  Who knows, maybe a season or two on the bench could do him some good.  His mental game has the IQ of a rock.

yes.

whats your next question?

Next season likely with define the direction of J. Cyprien's career.   

If I was in the Jaguars position,  the strategy would be to bring in serious competition to compete with Cyprien.   Both from the standpoint of pushing the player and having a potential viable option if Cyprien doesn't make noticeable improvement.    Being that Cyprien isn't a significant factor from a salary cap standpoint,  there's no reason to discard him w/o giving him an opportunity to demonstrate that season # 3 is different than season # 2.  

Quote:Next season likely with define the direction of J. Cyprien's career.   

If I was in the Jaguars position,  the strategy would be to bring in serious competition to compete with Cyprien.   Both from the standpoint of pushing the player and having a potential viable option if Cyprien doesn't make noticeable improvement.    Being that Cyprien isn't a significant factor from a salary cap standpoint,  there's no reason to discard him w/o giving him an opportunity to demonstrate that season # 3 is different than season # 2.  
D6 this is what we should do. We should have done this when we drafted him. So many mistakes coming from this coaching staff. Couglin and Del Rio barely let good players leave here and have successful careers.

Now the NFL is loaded with former Jaguars 
it's still to early to say, but unless he improves drastically in year 3, yes he will be a bust.

no

Yes, it's painful watching him. Although, it's painful watching the entire secondary. 

No.  Not a bust. 

I have been critical of the guy.  But I stand by him.  He is the player I am rooting for most at this point.  These last 5 games, I want to see something special from him. 

When I watched the play from TY Hilton, he bit because if he didn't Fleener would have been wide open over the middle.  He still would have gotten the blame for that play if it went to Fleener or Hilton. 

I honestly feel like he is extremely close to having a break out game.  This week might be it.  I want him to take over tomorrow, and prove the doubters wrong. 

I say no because I still see some play-making potential in Cyp, and that's what this team needs. He just has to get better with the fundamentals.

I'm not ready to give up on him, but I'm not holding out much faith that he'll turn into a quality starter.

He has the physical prowess, and he seems like a good guy, but he doesn't seem to click upstairs. I hope the field gets smaller for him next year. He visited 13 teams, so we weren't the only team thinking he'd turn into a a worthy draft pick.

I think Cyprien is extremely hampered by the fact the team is playing without a FS, or might as well be. He tries to do too much. He needs to get better, but I think even he can be a solid player even if he isn't a star.

Even if he only ends up being good, and not great, we need good players too.
I'll give until the end of next season, but it's not looking too good. He is supposed to be our version of Chancellor, But He Can't Tackle AND Makes Way Too Many Mental Errors IN coverage. I don't know if that's coaching or just all on him.
No winning on a 2 to 1 margin
He needs to put on tape of Earl Thomas and Troy Polamalu.
Cyp is trending more towards disappointing than bust. Either way not having a good year, but I think he will end up being at least decent long term. Not the impact player you want from pick 33, but not a completely wasted investment.
I think you have to give Cyprien another year.  We need a good defensive-minded HC to really see if Cyprien will progress or not. 

He hasn't played lights out but he has shown flashes of being a capable starting SS. With a better FS I'm sure he'll play better
Quote:He needs to put on tape of Earl Thomas and Troy Polamalu.

So he can see what the guy next to him should be doing?
It's hard to play lights out when you haven't even played lights on.

Quote:He needs to put on tape of Earl Thomas and Troy Polamalu.

But he isnt a FS?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8