Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hypothetically if Gus and Fisch were fired..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Who's the top coaching candidates available? I'd prefer to go with somebody whos done it before instead of a rookie coach, but I don't know of any available.. I'm not saying we should fire Gus but i'm just trying to find out who would even replace him?

First of all, offensive coordinators are hired and fired by head coaches, so we can only talk about Gus Bradley here.

Second, I hope TMD never sees this thread when he comes back.

To answer your question, I definitely do not want Rex Ryan. We are built to run a base 4-3 defense, so hiring him would break this rule: "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny.

I'd put Santa on the list, but after his stint in Philly... I don't know.  You don't really come back from that sort of thing.

If Fisch is fired.. that'd be a different question.  Some firings could open up the OC possibilities.

First off, we aren't the Raiders, so we shouldn't be firing head coaches after only a couple of seasons...and that's WITH mostly veteran starters.

However, since this is a hypothetical question, I'll bite. They would probably go with a coach that has good credentials and experience. Rex Ryan, assuming he would get fired, seems to fit that bill. Before anyone questions it, keep in mind that almost everyone knows that the Jets' GM is the reason they suck right now. Ironically, the Jets only hired John Idzik after losing the Dave Caldwell sweepstakes 2 off seasons ago.

Jim Harbaugh would be a target, but considering how much of a cluster**** Michigan is at the moment, he'd probably take that job over any NFL Job since his salary will likely be higher than what any NFL team would be willing to pony up.
Quote:First of all, offensive coordinators are hired and fired by head coaches, so we can only talk about Gus Bradley here.

Second, I hope TMD never sees this thread when he comes back.

To answer your question, I definitely do not want Rex Ryan. We are built to run a base 4-3 defense, so hiring him would break this rule: "If it's not broke, don't fix it."
You might be right about Rex Ryan. I actually forgot that he doesn't run a base 4-3. Bringing him in would disrupt any progress the defense is making due to a scheme change.

The fact that there isn't anyone who's clearly better than what we have is reason enough not to make a change at HC.
Quote:You might be right about Rex Ryan. I actually forgot that he doesn't run a base 4-3. Bringing him in would disrupt any progress the defense is making due to a scheme change.

The fact that there isn't anyone who's clearly better than what we have is reason enough not to make a change at HC.

I think there are probably a lot of candidates more qualified than bradley..... Anybody who has ever had some sort of success as a HC would qualify.

I'd like an offensive minded guy for a change too....
He wont be back with a 3 win season. We need at least 4. And it may not end up being a shad decision.... It could be a "save your own [BLEEP]" move by caldwell. And in fairness, i think 2 years isnt enough time to judge a gm.

However, as a coach, your team shouldnt tread water, or even regress from a 4 win season. Regardless of talent, you would expect to see some sort of improvement. And while the defense has gotten better, it shouldnt take 6 weeks to show signs of life.
As a side note, gus could make a killing giving speeches at graduations.
Caldwell is way better at his job than Bradley. He needs to go.
Quote:He wont be back with a 3 win season. We need at least 4. And it may not end up being a Shad decision.... It could be a "save your own butt" move by Caldwell. And in fairness, I think 2 years isn't enough time to judge a GM.

However, as a coach, your team shouldn't tread water, or even regress from a 4 win season. Regardless of talent, you would expect to see some sort of improvement. And while the defense has gotten better, it shouldn't take 6 weeks to show signs of life.

The defensive line has been good all year. The secondary needed two roster cuts and depth chart tinkering before it could start to show real improvement. We also were slow to figure out who our Otto should be, then had to move him inside because of injury and start someone else at that position. Now we know who all 11 starters should be, so the progress that has been made in the last 8 weeks should continue.
Quote:As a side note, Gus could make a killing giving speeches at graduations.

I would love to hear him give one of those speeches at UCF. He would be the perfect speaker for graduating Knights.
Quote:Who's the top coaching candidates available? I'd prefer to go with somebody whos done it before instead of a rookie coach, but I don't know of any available.. I'm not saying we should fire Gus but i'm just trying to find out who would even replace him?

I'll put it this way...

If Gus were fired, he would be the top coaching candidate.

Quote:I'll put it this way...

If Gus were fired, he would be the top coaching candidate.

Pfffhahahahahhahahahahaha
I just can't see it happening

When Caldwell came in he would have set out a plan to Khan

I can't see the plan being less than 3 years for us to go 8-8 that was how bad this team was talent wise and Caldwell quite clearly sold Khan a full rebuild

considering they we're willing to.sit bortles for a year thinking henne would continue his play from the end of last.year which was somewhere between Meh and bad, allowing them to gel the line and receivers whilst bortles cleaned up his footwork

I think we can all see bortles was thrown in too early however you could argue these we're mistakes he had to make and these mistakes cost games so it makes me think Caldwell may have another year

But for bortles and the kicking team we would be 3-5 which is far more acceptable

I think you would have to wait til this time next year for this thread to be viable
If we fired Gus after this season, there would be no point in concerning yourself with top candidates because they will have no interest working in this unstable environment.

Instead we should be asking if Gus were fired, what head coaching reject would be desperate enough to sign on with us.

Quote:If we fired Gus after this season, there would be no point in concerning yourself with top candidates because they will have no interest working in this unstable environment.

Instead we should be asking if Gus were fired, what head coaching reject would be desperate enough to sign on with us.

A college coach hoping to make the jump? Lots of money can buy a lot of nice things too.... Dont underestimate that
Quote:A college coach hoping to make the jump? Lots of money can buy a lot of nice things too.... Dont underestimate that
College coaches worth making the jump aren't interested in being part of a coaching carousel. Good college coaches make lots of money too.
Quote:A college coach hoping to make the jump? Lots of money can buy a lot of nice things too.... Dont underestimate that

Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban learned the hard way college game plans don't work in the NFL. I would be wary of going that route if the coach's name is not Pete Carroll.
Quote:Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban learned the hard way college game plans don't work in the NFL. I would be wary of going that route if the coach's name is not Pete Carroll.

Harbaugh, chip kelly. Hell, even Tom Coughlin was a college coach. There are plenty of examples of it working.
We are running out of crap to talk about....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5