Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Early Speculation on TC's personnel moves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
If it is true that TC will have final say in personnel, including the draft, then you can bet that the draft and his free agency will reflect a lot of his values.  Since I think Caldwell, on the whole, has done a good job stocking this roster, I hope TC values his input when it comes to which players to pick, even if they are at different positions than Caldwell would take at that point.  I also hope TC is willing to work within the confines of Marrone's schemes.  Dysfunction in the FO doesn't help.

That said, if TC's values will control, I think these are some of the things we will see from TC in the months and years to come:

1.  As I indicated in another thread, guys like Alualu and Odrick will be gone.  Everywhere TC has been, he has generally stocked the roster with DEs who are relatively thin, with good length, with guys who can get after the passer.  Here in Jacksonville, he signed guys like Jeff Lageman, Joel Smeenge, he took a flier on Clyde Simmons and drafted Tony Brackens.  With the Giants, working with Strahan already on the roster, he added guys like JPP, Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, and Damontre Moore.  (Coughlin was the first coach I've ever seen line up 4 DE-including two inside-on passing downs. )  The one exception to his DE paradigm was Renaldo Wynn.  I see Wynn and Alualu as virtual clones of each other, and neither provide the kind of pass rush Coughlin has proven to prefer.  While Odrick is more explosive and a better player than either of those guys, ultimately I don't think he fits the mold of a Coughlin DE, especially if the indications that Wash will run a more conventional 4-3 are true.  Odrick might be better equipped to slide inside at DT for depth, and that might keep him around a little longer, but I think ultimately his time here is short.

2.  On the board there has been a groundswell of support for the drafting of Dalvin Cook.   I agree that RB could be upgraded.  However, using Coughlin's past actions as a guide, I think if the team were to draft a RB in the first round, whether at 4 or by trade, Leonard Fournette would likely be the target.  TC has always preferred bigger backs at his stops.  The first RB he drafted here was James Stewart, a 224 pound RB.  He brought in a 245 pound Natrone Means in 1996.  Means then went on a tear during that legendary playoff run for us.  In 1998, after dealing Rob Johnson away for Buffalo's 1st round and 4th round picks,   Coughlin originally wanted to use that ammunition to trade from the #9 overall pick obtained from Buffalo to #5 overall to draft a 6-0, 242 RB in Curtis Enis, but Chicago reportedly asked for too much to move up.  Coughlin instead drafted a 228 pound Fred Taylor at #9 instead.  He also brought in an undrafted 241 pound RB in Stacey Mack.  When he went to New York, he brought in 6-4, 256 pound Brandon Jacobs, and later brought in former Jaguars RB Rashad Jennings, who measured 6', 234.  At 6-1, 235, Leonard Fournette fits TCs proven ideal for RBs more than Dalvin Cook.

3.  There will be no hesitation in spending early picks-or free agent dollars-on offensive linemen.  This is a good development because right now, on the whole, our skill positions are fine, but the offensive line needs work.  While in Jacksonville, Coughlin's first ever draft choice was Tony Boselli, and followed that up with second round pick Brian DeMarco.  When DeMarco did not meet expectations, Coughlin opened up the vault to bring in Leon Searcy as a free agent.  Coughlin later spent second round picks on guys like Brad Meester, Mike Pearson, and Maurice Williams.  As Giants' head man, he brought in Chris Snee in the 2nd round his first year, spent a second round pick on T William Beatty in 2009, spent a 1 on Justin Pugh in 2013, a 2 on C Weston Richburg in 2014, and a 1 on T Erek Flowers in '15.  It would not surprise me one bit  to see Cam Robinson as our first pick if he satisfies TC's character requirements, or to make a FA run at OL this March.

I just hope that TC, Caldwell and Marrone can effectively collaborate on bringing in guys who will contribute to a winning culture here and upgrade the roster to bring us Super Bowls.  

Every time I read your posts I shout BULLSEYE!!
Stacey Mack! May his name never be forgotten. The Jags got him when they were in salary cap limbo. Didn't he actually rush for 1000 yards one year?

I'm biased, but I like Cook over Fournette. One thing about Cook -- he had his best games against big teams..Clemson, Michigan, and Florida. Perhaps Fred Taylor opened TC's eyes regarding lighter RBs.
Quote:Stacey Mack! May his name never be forgotten. The Jags got him when they were in salary cap limbo. Didn't he actually rush for 1000 yards one year?

I'm biased, but I like Cook over Fournette. One thing about Cook -- he had his best games against big teams..Clemson, Michigan, and Florida. Perhaps Fred Taylor opened TC's eyes regarding lighter RBs.

You can probably cross Dalvin Cook off the list. Coughlin likes character guys who stay out of trouble. I don't think Cook fits his image of what he wants on this team.
You make a really good point about big RBs. Fournette might be the pick at 4.

Quote:Stacey Mack! May his name never be forgotten. The Jags got him when they were in salary cap limbo. Didn't he actually rush for 1000 yards one year?

Thing is, while he wasn't as big as Brandon Jacobs or even Natrone Means, Fred Taylor typically played between 228-230.  I wouldn't classify him as a "lighter" RB.

Perhaps Tiki Barber (5-10, 200) might have influenced him to look more favorably upon lighter RBs, but not FT.

I'll feel more comfortable speculating on these topics and TC's amount of influence upon them after that presser tomorrow. 

1.    We have no idea to what degree Wash will be altering the defensive scheme of his own accord at this point (if he is indeed the DC in 2017)

- therefore assuming TC will be forcing a particular body type to be fielded at DE seems like jumping the shark at the moment.  

Maybe he will  - but I'm hesitant to make that assumption. 

2.   If TC indeed has a great deal of influence on drafting decisions he may well lean toward the heavier RBs. Still - depending on the current medical evaluation of the 224 lb Chris Ivory who is under contract  -- I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the drafting of a lighter back. 

3.   Regarding the O-linemen and TC's potential influence there  --  I hope Coughlin does indeed influence Caldwell to go big in that area if he's not already inclined (he likely is) to do so. 

Alualu is cheap and can play in multiple positions in any scheme. I dont think cutting him really does anything thats going to make or break your roster. Odrick? Sure, hes way over paid and is a scheme fit for Gus Bradley. Alualu may not make the team this year, but I dont see a reason to cut him when hes cheap, solid as a player and provides great depth and can play multiple positions in any scheme. 

Quote:Thing is, while he wasn't as big as Brandon Jacobs or even Natrone Means, Fred Taylor typically played between 228-230. I wouldn't classify him as a "lighter" RB.

Perhaps Tiki Barber (5-10, 200) might have influenced him to look more favorably upon lighter RBs, but not FT.

Fred Taylor's physique always reminded me of a heavyweight boxer. A true physical specimen - no homo.
Quote:You can probably cross Dalvin Cook off the list. Coughlin likes character guys who stay out of trouble. I don't think Cook fits his image of what he wants on this team.

What has Cook done to get in trouble?
I would love a LF or Cam Robinson pick
Great post, as always.

Interesting what you said about the running backs. I don't think I would be upset with Fournette, even though I would prefer Cook.
Quote:I would love a LF or Cam Robinson pick
Hell no to Cam Robinson or any Offensive Lineman in the top 5.
Quote:Hell no to Cam Robinson or any Offensive Lineman in the top 5.
Only if Tom feels he wont have any off the field issues.  Take away the off the field issue and just going by his play on the field and Cam is worth a top 5 pick and at one of our most needed positions.  He could play guard or the RT position.  If we drafted Cam and signed Zeitler our oline would be set and much upgraded
Quote:Stacey Mack! May his name never be forgotten.
I'll always remember him as the guy who solicited certain favors...for $15...from a cop.
Quote:What has Cook done to get in trouble?
He had a battery charge and was found not guilty.  Most accounts seem to think it was a witch hunt by the "victim" but who knows? 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...ttery-case
Quote:I'll feel more comfortable speculating on these topics and TC's amount of influence upon them after that presser tomorrow. 

1.    We have no idea to what degree Wash will be altering the defensive scheme of his own accord at this point (if he is indeed the DC in 2017)

- therefore assuming TC will be forcing a particular body type to be fielded at DE seems like jumping the shark at the moment.  

Maybe he will  - but I'm hesitant to make that assumption. 

2.   If TC indeed has a great deal of influence on drafting decisions he may well lean toward the heavier RBs. Still - depending on the current medical evaluation of the 224 lb Chris Ivory who is under contract  -- I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the drafting of a lighter back. 

3.   Regarding the O-linemen and TC's potential influence there  --  I hope Coughlin does indeed influence Caldwell to go big in that area if he's not already inclined (he likely is) to do so. 
You are absolutely right in that speculation regarding what may or may not happen in March, April and beyond is premature, especially considering the general unfamiliarity with Marrone's personnel philosophies/requirements, Coughlin's and Caldwell's ability to identify the proper players to fit within Marrone's schemes,and TC's willingness to adapt his own philosophy to Marrone's and vice versa.  But let's face it...I've been spectacularly wrong on player procurement posts many times before, and short of not posting at all, I'll be wrong again.   But based upon what little I DO know at this point (and mostly it's TC), I'd say there is a little basis for my speculation.
Quote:Alualu is cheap and can play in multiple positions in any scheme. I dont think cutting him really does anything thats going to make or break your roster. Odrick? Sure, hes way over paid and is a scheme fit for Gus Bradley. Alualu may not make the team this year, but I dont see a reason to cut him when hes cheap, solid as a player and provides great depth and can play multiple positions in any scheme.
Alualu is an UFA
Quote:You make a really good point about big RBs. Fournette might be the pick at 4.
A lot can happen between now and draft day.

But if RB is the target there, at this stage, I can't see anyone but Fournette.
Quote:Only if Tom feels he wont have any off the field issues.  Take away the off the field issue and just going by his play on the field and Cam is worth a top 5 pick and at one of our most needed positions.  He could play guard or the RT position.  If we drafted Cam and signed Zeitler our oline would be set and much upgraded
I would hope if Cam Robinson is picked at 4, there would be some belief that he would have good enough feet to play LT, even if he starts out at RT.

I think he would make a fine RT.  Not totally sold on him at LT at this point without going back and watching his games closely.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5