Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why the Marrone Hiring Makes Sense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Predictably, there is a sizeable portion of the fan base that disagrees with the decision to hire Marrone.  I saw a poll conducted by FCN that showed fans opposed Marrone being named head coach by a 70%-30% margin.  Given the disastrous 15 wins since 2013, I can understand fans wanting a clean sweep from the Bradley era, and hiring  Marrone flies directly in the face of that objective.  Furthermore, since his presence on the staff did not avoid that result, many feel Marrone not only wasn't part of the solution, but part of the problem.  Many feel Marrone is not the guy who will fix the QB position.  Ultimately, the view is that the hiring of Marrone was an endorsement of the status quo by a content and complacent ownership.

However, I submit that the hiring of Marrone is not mere capitulation to mediocrity and not the path of least resistance to further failure.  I maintain Marrone's inferior position on the coaching staff does not necessarily translate into him being an inferior caliber coach.  I contend Marrone's familiarity with the players here, including Bortles, is a positive factor for this team, and overall, he will prove to be a good hire.

One of the biggest, tacit arguments is that since Marrone was on the coaching staff of a team that failed miserably, he is ill equipped to be a head coach for this same team with the goal of making them winners.  There is historical evidence that oft unstated premise does not hold true.  There have been plenty of good coaches that have worked under head coaches with lesser ability and languished on bad teams, who wound up coaching teams with a level of success that far outpaced their former bosses.  The early 1980s saw Ray Perkins coach the New York Giants to a 23-34 record between 1979-1982.  With a team that performed so lethargically under his tenure, you would think it was poorly coached from top to bottom.  However, there were a couple of assistants under Perkins named Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick.  Ray Rhodes coached the Philadelphia Eagles in the years before Andy Reid got there, between 1995-1998.  His first two years, the Eagles finished a respectable 10-6.  However, those last two years, the Eagles finished 6-9-1 and 3-13.  His coaching staff included a guy named Jon Gruden, who wound up coaching the 2002 Bucs to a Super Bowl championship.  In 2006, Brad Childress coached the Minnesota Vikings to a 6-10 record.  His defensive coordinator was Mike Tomlin, who has coached the Steelers to a World championship and another Super Bowl appearance.  The point is a good coach can be in a bad situation and still remain a good coach.  I think that was the situation here with Marrone.  In his two game stint as interim coach, the team performed better under him-even splitting the last two games-than it did in any two game stretch under Bradley.  The players spoke openly about how different things were here under Marrone.  It's entirely possible he can coach better performance out of these guys.

Another concern is that Marrone won't be able or willing to fix the QB position because he was on the coaching staff last year.  I submit Marrone and Hackett represent the best chance to fix Bortles and maximize his ability.  Though fans cringe at the idea of continuity from 15-49, some continuity is what Bortles needs.  Bortles has had three (3) different offensive coordinators (Fisch, Olsen, Hackett) in his three seasons as a Jaguar.  Had we brought in a guy entirely unfamiliar with him, he would have to learn a 4th system completely cold.  With Marrone and Hackett having worked with Bortles, they can make the transition to the new offense easier for him.  They already have an idea of his strengths and weaknesses, and they know the terminology of the offense Bortles has run these last two years.  In the two games Marrone coached, the offense averaged 25 ppg.  Bortles looked sharp and with potential.  Allen Robinson returned to the offense, and it was productive minus Allen Hurns, Julius Thomas, and Ivory.  When Marrone and Hackett introduce their playbooks to Bortles, they can easier explain and translate the differences to Bortles, and call plays tailored to his strengths.  If you think they will be too loyal to Bortles, there is nothing about the hiring of Marrone that precludes bringing in a QB to compete with him now or in the future if Bortles should falter.  It's not likely the Jaguars would draft a QB high this year anyway, whether a new coach came in or not, and the free agent class is underwhelming.  A new coach other than Marrone may well have played with Bortles at QB this year anyway. 

Will Marrone need a strong defensive coordinator?  Sure.  But his past shows a willingness to bring an established an successful guy to fill that role.  In Buffalo, he brought along Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator.  There is nothing to indicate he would be averse to bringing in another solid guy to run the other side of the ball.  Besides, any coach that comes in with a specialty on one side or another will need a solid coordinator on the other side.  Had Smith been the guy, we all know he'd need a strong OC.  Had Shanahan or McDaniels been the choice, they would all need good defensive coordinators.

At the end of the day, the Jaguars hired a guy who has experience on a Super Bowl winning coaching staff with the Saints, has produced a winning season for a franchise not used to them in recent years without anything resembling a franchise QB, and has gotten the best out of Bortles this year.  There are signs he will implement the discipline this young team needs, and can draw upon TC's expertise in assembling a staff.

I think he deserves the patience from this fan base, though admittedly it is in short supply after the past nine years.

Quote:Predictably, there is a sizeable portion of the fan base that disagrees with the decision to hire Marrone. I saw a poll conducted by FCN that showed fans opposed Marrone being named head coach by a 70%-30% margin. Given the disastrous 15 wins since 2013, I can understand fans wanting a clean sweep from the Bradley era, and hiring Marrone flies directly in the face of that objective. Furthermore, since his presence on the staff did not avoid that result, many feel Marrone not only wasn't part of the solution, but part of the problem. Many feel Marrone is not the guy who will fix the QB position. Ultimately, the view is that the hiring of Marrone was an endorsement of the status quo by a content and complacent ownership.

However, I submit that the hiring of Marrone is not mere capitulation to mediocrity and not the path of least resistance to further failure. I maintain Marrone's inferior position on the coaching staff does not necessarily translate into him being an inferior caliber coach. I contend Marrone's familiarity with the players here, including Bortles, is a positive factor for this team, and overall, he will prove to be a good hire.

One of the biggest, tacit arguments is that since Marrone was on the coaching staff of a team that failed miserably, he is ill equipped to be a head coach for this same team with the goal of making them winners. There is historical evidence that oft unstated premise does not hold true. There have been plenty of good coaches that have worked under head coaches with lesser ability and languished on bad teams, who wound up coaching teams with a level of success that far outpaced their former bosses. The early 1980s saw Ray Perkins coach the New York Giants to a 23-34 record between 1979-1982. With a team that performed so lethargically under his tenure, you would think it was poorly coached from top to bottom. However, there were a couple of assistants under Perkins named Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick. Ray Rhodes coached the Philadelphia Eagles in the years before Andy Reid got there, between 1995-1998. His first two years, the Eagles finished a respectable 10-6. However, those last two years, the Eagles finished 6-9-1 and 3-13. His coaching staff included a guy named Jon Gruden, who wound up coaching the 2002 Bucs to a Super Bowl championship. In 2006, Brad Childress coached the Minnesota Vikings to a 6-10 record. His defensive coordinator was Mike Tomlin, who has coached the Steelers to a World championship and another Super Bowl appearance. The point is a good coach can be in a bad situation and still remain a good coach. I think that was the situation here with Marrone. In his two game stint as interim coach, the team performed better under him-even splitting the last two games-than it did in any two game stretch under Bradley. The players spoke openly about how different things were here under Marrone. It's entirely possible he can coach better performance out of these guys.

Another concern is that Marrone won't be able or willing to fix the QB position because he was on the coaching staff last year. I submit Marrone and Hackett represent the best chance to fix Bortles and maximize his ability. Though fans cringe at the idea of continuity from 15-49, some continuity is what Bortles needs. Bortles has had three (3) different offensive coordinators (Fisch, Olsen, Hackett) in his three seasons as a Jaguar. Had we brought in a guy entirely unfamiliar with him, he would have to learn a 4th system completely cold. With Marrone and Hackett having worked with Bortles, they can make the transition to the new offense easier for him. They already have an idea of his strengths and weaknesses, and they know the terminology of the offense Bortles has run these last two years. In the two games Marrone coached, the offense averaged 25 ppg. Bortles looked sharp and with potential. Allen Robinson returned to the offense, and it was productive minus Allen Hurns, Julius Thomas, and Ivory. When Marrone and Hackett introduce their playbooks to Bortles, they can easier explain and translate the differences to Bortles, and call plays tailored to his strengths. If you think they will be too loyal to Bortles, there is nothing about the hiring of Marrone that precludes bringing in a QB to compete with him now or in the future if Bortles should falter. It's not likely the Jaguars would draft a QB high this year anyway, whether a new coach came in or not, and the free agent class is underwhelming. A new coach other than Marrone may well have played with Bortles at QB this year anyway.

Will Marrone need a strong defensive coordinator? Sure. But his past shows a willingness to bring an established an successful guy to fill that role. In Buffalo, he brought along Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator. There is nothing to indicate he would be averse to bringing in another solid guy to run the other side of the ball. Besides, any coach that comes in with a specialty on one side or another will need a solid coordinator on the other side. Had Smith been the guy, we all know he'd need a strong OC. Had Shanahan or McDaniels been the choice, they would all need good defensive coordinators.

At the end of the day, the Jaguars hired a guy who has experience on a Super Bowl winning coaching staff with the Saints, has produced a winning season for a franchise not used to them in recent years without anything resembling a franchise QB, and has gotten the best out of Bortles this year. There are signs he will implement the discipline this young team needs, and can draw upon TC's expertise in assembling a staff.

I think he deserves the patience from this fan base, though admittedly it is in short supply after the pas nine years.

Good points Bullseye.. Thanks man you made me feel a little better..
Bless you.
Anyone wanna paraphrase?
Quote:Anyone wanna paraphrase?

Don't panic.  Despite what it seems, it was a good hire.
Quote:Predictably, there is a sizeable portion of the fan base that disagrees with the decision to hire Marrone. I saw a poll conducted by FCN that showed fans opposed Marrone being named head coach by a 70%-30% margin. Given the disastrous 15 wins since 2013, I can understand fans wanting a clean sweep from the Bradley era, and hiring Marrone flies directly in the face of that objective. Furthermore, since his presence on the staff did not avoid that result, many feel Marrone not only wasn't part of the solution, but part of the problem. Many feel Marrone is not the guy who will fix the QB position. Ultimately, the view is that the hiring of Marrone was an endorsement of the status quo by a content and complacent ownership.

However, I submit that the hiring of Marrone is not mere capitulation to mediocrity and not the path of least resistance to further failure. I maintain Marrone's inferior position on the coaching staff does not necessarily translate into him being an inferior caliber coach. I contend Marrone's familiarity with the players here, including Bortles, is a positive factor for this team, and overall, he will prove to be a good hire.

One of the biggest, tacit arguments is that since Marrone was on the coaching staff of a team that failed miserably, he is ill equipped to be a head coach for this same team with the goal of making them winners. There is historical evidence that oft unstated premise does not hold true. There have been plenty of good coaches that have worked under head coaches with lesser ability and languished on bad teams, who wound up coaching teams with a level of success that far outpaced their former bosses. The early 1980s saw Ray Perkins coach the New York Giants to a 23-34 record between 1979-1982. With a team that performed so lethargically under his tenure, you would think it was poorly coached from top to bottom. However, there were a couple of assistants under Perkins named Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick. Ray Rhodes coached the Philadelphia Eagles in the years before Andy Reid got there, between 1995-1998. His first two years, the Eagles finished a respectable 10-6. However, those last two years, the Eagles finished 6-9-1 and 3-13. His coaching staff included a guy named Jon Gruden, who wound up coaching the 2002 Bucs to a Super Bowl championship. In 2006, Brad Childress coached the Minnesota Vikings to a 6-10 record. His defensive coordinator was Mike Tomlin, who has coached the Steelers to a World championship and another Super Bowl appearance. The point is a good coach can be in a bad situation and still remain a good coach. I think that was the situation here with Marrone. In his two game stint as interim coach, the team performed better under him-even splitting the last two games-than it did in any two game stretch under Bradley. The players spoke openly about how different things were here under Marrone. It's entirely possible he can coach better performance out of these guys.

Another concern is that Marrone won't be able or willing to fix the QB position because he was on the coaching staff last year. I submit Marrone and Hackett represent the best chance to fix Bortles and maximize his ability. Though fans cringe at the idea of continuity from 15-49, some continuity is what Bortles needs. Bortles has had three (3) different offensive coordinators (Fisch, Olsen, Hackett) in his three seasons as a Jaguar. Had we brought in a guy entirely unfamiliar with him, he would have to learn a 4th system completely cold. With Marrone and Hackett having worked with Bortles, they can make the transition to the new offense easier for him. They already have an idea of his strengths and weaknesses, and they know the terminology of the offense Bortles has run these last two years. In the two games Marrone coached, the offense averaged 25 ppg. Bortles looked sharp and with potential. Allen Robinson returned to the offense, and it was productive minus Allen Hurns, Julius Thomas, and Ivory. When Marrone and Hackett introduce their playbooks to Bortles, they can easier explain and translate the differences to Bortles, and call plays tailored to his strengths. If you think they will be too loyal to Bortles, there is nothing about the hiring of Marrone that precludes bringing in a QB to compete with him now or in the future if Bortles should falter. It's not likely the Jaguars would draft a QB high this year anyway, whether a new coach came in or not, and the free agent class is underwhelming. A new coach other than Marrone may well have played with Bortles at QB this year anyway.

Will Marrone need a strong defensive coordinator? Sure. But his past shows a willingness to bring an established an successful guy to fill that role. In Buffalo, he brought along Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator. There is nothing to indicate he would be averse to bringing in another solid guy to run the other side of the ball. Besides, any coach that comes in with a specialty on one side or another will need a solid coordinator on the other side. Had Smith been the guy, we all know he'd need a strong OC. Had Shanahan or McDaniels been the choice, they would all need good defensive coordinators.

At the end of the day, the Jaguars hired a guy who has experience on a Super Bowl winning coaching staff with the Saints, has produced a winning season for a franchise not used to them in recent years without anything resembling a franchise QB, and has gotten the best out of Bortles this year. There are signs he will implement the discipline this young team needs, and can draw upon TC's expertise in assembling a staff.

I think he deserves the patience from this fan base, though admittedly it is in short supply after the pas nine years.
Somebody show this to Brooklynjag

Lol
Quote:Good points Bullseye.. Thanks man you made me feel a little better..
Ikr?

Great opinion and fact.

There is some hope...

Be positive fellow jags fans....
Another excellent well thought out post. I agree on all points.
Quote:Somebody show this to Brooklynjag

Lol

It would just confuse him more.

Great post, Bullseye.
Quote:Predictably, there is a sizeable portion of the fan base that disagrees with the decision to hire Marrone.  I saw a poll conducted by FCN that showed fans opposed Marrone being named head coach by a 70%-30% margin.  Given the disastrous 15 wins since 2013, I can understand fans wanting a clean sweep from the Bradley era, and hiring  Marrone flies directly in the face of that objective.  Furthermore, since his presence on the staff did not avoid that result, many feel Marrone not only wasn't part of the solution, but part of the problem.  Many feel Marrone is not the guy who will fix the QB position.  Ultimately, the view is that the hiring of Marrone was an endorsement of the status quo by a content and complacent ownership.

However, I submit that the hiring of Marrone is not mere capitulation to mediocrity and not the path of least resistance to further failure.  I maintain Marrone's inferior position on the coaching staff does not necessarily translate into him being an inferior caliber coach.  I contend Marrone's familiarity with the players here, including Bortles, is a positive factor for this team, and overall, he will prove to be a good hire.

One of the biggest, tacit arguments is that since Marrone was on the coaching staff of a team that failed miserably, he is ill equipped to be a head coach for this same team with the goal of making them winners.  There is historical evidence that oft unstated premise does not hold true.  There have been plenty of good coaches that have worked under head coaches with lesser ability and languished on bad teams, who wound up coaching teams with a level of success that far outpaced their former bosses.  The early 1980s saw Ray Perkins coach the New York Giants to a 23-34 record between 1979-1982.  With a team that performed so lethargically under his tenure, you would think it was poorly coached from top to bottom.  However, there were a couple of assistants under Perkins named Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick.  Ray Rhodes coached the Philadelphia Eagles in the years before Andy Reid got there, between 1995-1998.  His first two years, the Eagles finished a respectable 10-6.  However, those last two years, the Eagles finished 6-9-1 and 3-13.  His coaching staff included a guy named Jon Gruden, who wound up coaching the 2002 Bucs to a Super Bowl championship.  In 2006, Brad Childress coached the Minnesota Vikings to a 6-10 record.  His defensive coordinator was Mike Tomlin, who has coached the Steelers to a World championship and another Super Bowl appearance.  The point is a good coach can be in a bad situation and still remain a good coach.  I think that was the situation here with Marrone.  In his two game stint as interim coach, the team performed better under him-even splitting the last two games-than it did in any two game stretch under Bradley.  The players spoke openly about how different things were here under Marrone.  It's entirely possible he can coach better performance out of these guys.

Another concern is that Marrone won't be able or willing to fix the QB position because he was on the coaching staff last year.  I submit Marrone and Hackett represent the best chance to fix Bortles and maximize his ability.  Though fans cringe at the idea of continuity from 15-49, some continuity is what Bortles needs.  Bortles has had three (3) different offensive coordinators (Fisch, Olsen, Hackett) in his three seasons as a Jaguar.  Had we brought in a guy entirely unfamiliar with him, he would have to learn a 4th system completely cold.  With Marrone and Hackett having worked with Bortles, they can make the transition to the new offense easier for him.  They already have an idea of his strengths and weaknesses, and they know the terminology of the offense Bortles has run these last two years.  In the two games Marrone coached, the offense averaged 25 ppg.  Bortles looked sharp and with potential.  Allen Robinson returned to the offense, and it was productive minus Allen Hurns, Julius Thomas, and Ivory.  When Marrone and Hackett introduce their playbooks to Bortles, they can easier explain and translate the differences to Bortles, and call plays tailored to his strengths.  If you think they will be too loyal to Bortles, there is nothing about the hiring of Marrone that precludes bringing in a QB to compete with him now or in the future if Bortles should falter.  It's not likely the Jaguars would draft a QB high this year anyway, whether a new coach came in or not, and the free agent class is underwhelming.  A new coach other than Marrone may well have played with Bortles at QB this year anyway. 

Will Marrone need a strong defensive coordinator?  Sure.  But his past shows a willingness to bring an established an successful guy to fill that role.  In Buffalo, he brought along Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator.  There is nothing to indicate he would be averse to bringing in another solid guy to run the other side of the ball.  Besides, any coach that comes in with a specialty on one side or another will need a solid coordinator on the other side.  Had Smith been the guy, we all know he'd need a strong OC.  Had Shanahan or McDaniels been the choice, they would all need good defensive coordinators.

At the end of the day, the Jaguars hired a guy who has experience on a Super Bowl winning coaching staff with the Saints, has produced a winning season for a franchise not used to them in recent years without anything resembling a franchise QB, and has gotten the best out of Bortles this year.  There are signs he will implement the discipline this young team needs, and can draw upon TC's expertise in assembling a staff.

You give him credit as a coordinator for the Saints  but none of the blame for his failures. The fan base is upset because he is a below .500 career coach who had one year in buffalo that he went 9-7. He was a .500 college coach. He hasn't shown any reason for us to be optimistic. If he has some magic super sauce to fix BBINT or the offense, he hasn't shown it. 
I thought he left the saints before their Super Bowl run?

I have two concerns with Marrone:

•Just average overall records in NFL(17-18) and College (23-25)

•worried about Gus' previous culture still lurking in our locker rooms. Worried it's not a sweeping enough change to change players mindset.
Bravo. I almost did what you did, and went back to look at the track record of where certain head coaches who were former coordinators came from, and how the staff they served under before head coaching fared overall. And indeed my gut feeling was right; there have been coordinators from teams with poor overall records who went on to be good head coaches.
Question is Bullseye getting paid or something? That's a lot of words typed...lol
Quote:Question is Bullseye getting paid or something? That's a lot of words typed...lol

I chuckled. But in all seriousness, he always thinks things through logically and makes valid points, and spells these out in a coherent manner.
Quote:Anyone wanna paraphrase?

Everybody calm down. Let's give Marrone a chance instead of being all gloom and doom about him being named HC.

There are examples of coaches who turned into good head coaches despite serving under bad head coaches on teams with bad records.

Marrone was interim HC for the last 8 quarters of the Jag's season and the Jags actually looked like a real NFL team for 6 of those 8 quarters AND he beat the (BAD WORD REMOVED) out of the hated tacks who were actually playoff bound.

Also he did something in one of the 2 games he coached that Gus NEVER did once in his entire time here: Beat a team that ended the season with a winning record. the tacks ended the year 9-7.
Quote:I thought he left the saints before their Super Bowl run?

•worried about Gus' previous culture still lurking in our locker rooms. Worried it's not a sweeping enough change to change players mindset.

FWIW his pro record is better than McDaniels....
Quote:You give him credit as a coordinator for the Saints  but none of the blame for his failures. The fan base is upset because he is a below .500 career coach who had one year in buffalo that he went 9-7. He was a .500 college coach. He hasn't shown any reason for us to be optimistic. If he has some magic super sauce to fix BBINT or the offense, he hasn't shown it. 
First, you throw him under the bus for failures here that may not be attributable to him.

As for his failures?  He inherited a 6-10 Bills team and duplicated the record the first year, then his last year there, he took them to 9-7, their first winning season in a decade.  At Syracuse-a basketball school-he inherited a program that won TEN (10) games in FOUR (4) years and had them in a bowl game in two seasons.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/syracuse/

Quote:It would just confuse him more.

Great post, Bullseye.
Lol ikr?

Why do we do something.....

Courageous and novel...

Why don't we try and help that guy relax? Lol
Quote:I thought he left the saints before their Super Bowl run?

Well, the Jags haven't been average in a long time. They will have to get to average before they can go any further then that.
Quote:Will Marrone need a strong defensive coordinator?  Sure.  But his past shows a willingness to bring an established an successful guy to fill that role.  In Buffalo, he brought along Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator.  There is nothing to indicate he would be averse to bringing in another solid guy to run the other side of the ball.  Besides, any coach that comes in with a specialty on one side or another will need a solid coordinator on the other side.  Had Smith been the guy, we all know he'd need a strong OC.  Had Shanahan or McDaniels been the choice, they would all need good defensive coordinators.

I hope you are right. But ....

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/8...1178575872
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5