Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is the plan just simply flawed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
When we hired Caldwell the plan was clear a total rebuild. Tear it all down, design a scheme, build a team around the scheme. Didn't matter if some players here where serviceable we where going to a zone blocking team on offense and a hybrid team on defense. Two years later and we are failing on both fronts miserably.

Maybe the problems not coaching or talent but an insistsnce on only bringing in players for a specific scheme. Why don't we or haven't we simply brought in talent and developed schemes around who we have.

To me the problem is at the top, that's Caldwell. It's not popular to say but who else is responsible for building this roster? Are we passing up talent because it doesn't fit out scheme? That's simply a luxury we can't afford. It also feels like a backwards way to go about building a franchise.
What talent have the Jags passed up?

I agree you build the scheme around the players and not the other way around.

All I know is this regime is currently 4-17.   That is not getting the job done.  The young and inexperienced excuse only goes so far.  We need to see some progress soon.

They'll get another crack at it next year.  We'll win 6 games next year and they'll be gone.

Rinse and Repeat.

Quote:What talent have the Jags passed up?

We went after specific defensive players because of how the fit the scheme.

We brought in beadles specifically for the zone blocking scheme, same reason we drafted joeckel and traded away Monroe. Instead of using the 2nd pick on a position of need we changed out our LT to fit a scheme.

Same with Daryl smith and geno Hayes we went with the lesser talented Hayes because he fit the scheme.

This scheme has been used to explain a plethora of personnel moves since Caldwell was hired.
I remember when I wanted to give Gene Smith time and watched his picks occur year after year.  The product on the field was bad and the quarterback situation was worse.

I'll give the front office some time because of how long we blew draft picks and free agency.  For me it is simple...

Last year it didn't bother me and I didn't look forward to fall Sundays.  When the Orlando station didn't carry the Jaguars game it wasn't a big deal.  This year I'm still excited despite the record.  I'm not watching for the Henne train wreck or the overall implosion. There are genuine moments of excitement and growth. 

Quote:They'll get another crack at it next year. We'll win 6 games next year and they'll be gone.

Rinse and Repeat.

I don't expect any changes this year. By all means let's wait and see what happens in year 3 but this feels awfully familiar. Gene told us 4 years and for 3 years we waited when the 4th year got here nothing magically got better. Year 3 isn't far away and I'm struggling to see where this is all going. Unless there just betting on Bortles being that good and covering everything up?
Quote:I remember when I wanted to give Gene Smith time and watched his picks occur year after year. The product on the field was bad and the quarterback situation was worse.

I'll give the front office some time because of how long we blew draft picks and free agency. For me it is simple...

Last year it didn't bother me and I didn't look forward to fall Sundays. When the Orlando station didn't carry the Jaguars game it wasn't a big deal. This year I'm still excited despite the record. I'm not watching for the Henne train wreck or the overall implosion. There are genuine moments of excitement and growth.

Same here if not for Bortles I'm not sure id even be interested anymore.
Quote:. Unless there just betting on Bortles being that good and covering everything up?

Pretty much this.

I think Allen Robinson will be a nice player.

Hopefully Marqise Lee becomes at least a deep threat somewhat and is a solid WR.  

This offseason, we need to sign a veteran TE that is a good pass catcher, and find a good RB that can be a home-run threat.  Someone like Gurley sure would be nice.
Yeah part of the plan is finding a quarterback.  That is the plan for all of the NFL teams.  I don't want to seem like a homer but there is something about Bortles that has me super excited.  I'm not making any savior type comments.  He sure can play.  It doesn't seem like the game is to big for him.

It doesn't feel like going out on a limb that Bortles will be a franchise QB.  It felt like I had to put on the homer hat and blind fandom goggles to type good things about our QBs for the past few years. 

Quote:Yeah part of the plan is finding a quarterback. That is the plan for all of the NFL teams. I don't want to seem like a homer but there is something about Bortles that has me super excited. I'm not making any savior type comments but he can play and doesn't let the game get bigger for him even when it isn't going his way.
I'd even agree with you I think bortles can be special. I just don't want us so focused on a scheme that might or might not work we miss our shot.

Forget the zone blocking let's just find guys that can lineup and block for bortles but that doesn't seem to be our focus.
Today there were 10 starters playing in their first or second seasons.  That's what happens in a "total rebuild" and it takes time to produce results. 

Unless you feel just fine writing off Joeckel, Bowanko, Linder, D-Rob, A-Rob, Lee, Bortles, Hurns, Sanders, S Johnson,  T Smith, Cyprien, A Colvin , McCray and others as busts, then it's time to hold your horses and give it some time. 

I personally think that a few of you demonizing Caldwell will be ready to erect a shrine to the guy when half of those ^ guys turn out to be above average starters. 

Seriously, it's gonna be a tough road for us...  

I think we may have a core group of talent on offense in regards to our skill positions...

But we have a quagmire at O-line.  

Our OC and coaching staff looked good this week in terms of play calling, but I'm not sold on them yet...

So that's an issue.

On the D side...  we are running an archaic defensive scheme.  I don't care about all the fancy shmancy terms like LEO, OOTO, or whatever...

We're running a 4-3 that is very pedestrian.  Whether that's because of talent or coaching doesn't matter.  it's just bad...  

So there's still alot of work to do after 1 year and 5 games....

Bortles I think will cover up alot.  But he can't cover up all the mess we have in key spots...

Quote:Today there were 10 starters playing in their first or second seasons. That's what happens in a "total rebuild" and it takes time to produce results.

Unless you feel just fine writing off Joeckel, Bowanko, Linder, D-Rob, A-Rob, Lee, Bortles, Hurns, Sanders, S Johnson, T Smith, Cyprien, A Colvin , McCray and others as busts, then it's time to hold your horses and give it some time.

I personally think that a few of you demonizing Caldwell will be ready to erect a shrine to the guy when half of those ^ guys turn out to be above average starters.

If he turns this team into contenders ill lead the charge to build his shrine. But we sure are going about the hardest possible way.
Quote:Today there were 10 starters playing in their first or second seasons.  That's what happens in a "total rebuild" and it takes time to produce results. 

Unless you feel just fine writing off Joeckel, Bowanko, Linder, D-Rob, A-Rob, Lee, Bortles, Hurns, Sanders, S Johnson,  T Smith, Cyprien, A Colvin , McCray and others as busts, then it's time to hold your horses and give it some time. 

Possibly, but will you be ready to drop bradley and the coaching staff if the players you mention do not continue to progress?

Joeckel is used to NFL speed from last year.  He's in his 5 game as LT and is still making mistakes.

Shoelace made a nice catch as a WR, but hasn't really gotten off the floor in terms of running the rock.  

Hurns is still making the same mistakes, granted he's a rookie, I'm not even being critical of him..

I'm just saying at some point one group of fans will be right, and one won't.

I just don't like where this whole thing is going.  And I'm not even sure it's Bradley's issue so much as the fact that he hired coordinators that seem to be the bottom of the barrel... 

I'm being critical here, but I actually thought we played the best we have all year.  

Yes we are going about it the hard way.  Turning over 2/3 of a roster and letting middling talent leave because they loafed for you is a difficult prospect.

We're a few players away. You are all insane. We held a top defense to 9 points with a rookie covering one of the best WR in the league.

Shut up and stop trolling.
This team is 5-17 in the past 2 years.

I dunno if we win more than a game or two all year.  It is troublesome to see how far off this team is after 2 offseasons. 

Quote:If he turns this team into contenders ill lead the charge to build his shrine. But we sure are going about the hardest possible way.
Yes. It is absolutely the hardest way. Especially for us fans who want results sooner than later.  Crossing my fingers and toes some of these youngsters pan out so we don't have to (gulp) start over again. 

I really think we'll see some of these youngsters begin to show up as the season wears on. If they don't I'll have to reluctantly join your ranks. 

Quote:I agree you build the scheme around the players and not the other way around.

All I know is this regime is currently 4-17.   That is not getting the job done.  The young and inexperienced excuse only goes so far.  We need to see some progress soon.

It's not an excuse, but it is a valid and reasonable explanation after 20 games.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6