Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Reasons why Henne simply has to play well vs the Colts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
1 - The Colts are without their elite pass rusher. In theory this should give Chad more time to throw the football and more time to assess the field which for large parts of the game against the Redskins didn't happen due to a mixture of him being poor and the O-line deciding not to turn up.

2 - Gus has already told him, the team, the fans and the media that Henne will start. That quickly distinguished any doubt he wouldn't play and he has to repay the faith shown in him by our HC. 

3 - He simply has to convince us (the fans), that he is worth his place in the team ahead of Bortles. Already, people are calling for Blake to start but, personally, I believe these calls are premature.

His 2014 stats so far:

http://www.nfl.com/player/chadhenne/252/profile

Now, if we ignore those sacks in week 2 in which, let's be honest, the majority of them he hardly had time to grip the ball, bar 2/3, he's not played that badly (in fact his QB rating is higher than Brady atm and isn't far off the likes of Kaepernick, Flacco, etc), epsecially when you consider that pass early on in the game against the Redskins to Hurns who, if had been a veteran WR, would've caught and set us up nicely for a TD or at least a FG and that would've given the whole team more confidence.

That brings me on to my next point, he hasn't got an experienced WR to throw to until Shorts comes back. If he had, say, Megatron down the field he wouldn't be afraid to launch a few passes in his general direction, but, unfortunately for us, he hasn't.

Finally, I'd like to say that this is my opinion of which I know many do not share and also that if Henne performs badly on a consistent basis then I'm all for starting Borltles but for now, let's not get too impatient.

You lost me with the comparison to TOM BRADY

Quote:You lost me with the comparison to TOM BRADY

I don't think I've stated anywhere than Brady is worse than Henne have I? It's just over these 2 games and is a fact, a statistic. Brady is obviously a better QB, I don't really think I need to answer that
Henne just needs to have a better game vs. Indy because the team needs him to.  Not because he needs to validate anything, because everyone including Henne recognizes what his role is on this roster, and he definitely knows the clock is ticking on his tenure as the starting QB.  If he is able to play well, it helps with developing the other young talent on the offense, and that's critical. 

Quote:Henne just needs to have a better game vs. Indy because the team needs him to.  Not because he needs to validate anything, because everyone including Henne recognizes what his role is on this roster, and he definitely knows the clock is ticking on his tenure as the starting QB.  If he is able to play well, it helps with developing the other young talent on the offense, and that's critical. 

Well, yes, in basic terms but I've tried to go slightly more in depth, explaining why he should. If the Colts has Mathis available, it'd still be a case of needing him to play well.
Quote:I don't think I've stated anywhere than Brady is worse than Henne have I? It's just over these 2 games and is a fact, a statistic. Brady is obviously a better QB, I don't really think I need to answer that

Just talking about them in the same sentence is silly.

Henne has been horrible.  He has had a few plays here and there.  That does not mean he has been anything but bad.  It's not all his fault, but those reasons you put up there under #1 are also all reasons why we should put Bortles in this week.  This was a great opportunity to start our future.  They didn't, so it will likely be another 4-5 blowout losses before we see the kid play.

It's like what we used to do with Gabbert for FOREVER it seemed like.  Hey, Gabbert has been ok.  Look at that throw to Shorts; he is playing well.  Although that is completely discounting the other 3 qtrs. of the game where he was completely inept.

Quote:Just talking about them in the same sentence is silly.

Henne has been horrible.  He has had a few plays here and there.  That does not mean he has been anything but bad.  It's not all his fault, but those reasons you put up there under #1 are also all reasons why we should put Bortles in this week.  This was a great opportunity to start our future.  They didn't, so it will likely be another 4-5 blowout losses before we see the kid play.

I don''t share the opinion that Henne has played really poorly. Everyone who follows the NFL knows his limitations and I think he's trying his best with the skills he personally has and the very young players around him.
Quote:I don''t share the opinion that Henne has played really poorly. Everyone who follows the NFL knows his limitations and I think he's trying his best with the skills he personally has and the very young players around him.

Being in London you will probably get to see Blake before we do.  Not fair.
Quote:Being in London you will probably get to see Blake before we do.  Not fair.
I was told this morning to expect him to be on the field running the offense from under center for the Steelers game. 

I don't think the calls for Bortles are premature at all.  Fans want to see a franchise QB out there.  It's been a long time since we've seen anything remotely looking like one.  In fact it's been 7 years.  It's like some Jag fan broke a mirror, and the luck isn't ready to run out just yet.  (I'd like to know the date on which they broke it..)

Quote:I don't think the calls for Bortles are premature at all.  Fans want to see a franchise QB out there.  It's been a long time since we've seen anything remotely looking like one.  In fact it's been 7 years.  It's like some Jag fan broke a mirror, and the luck isn't ready to run out just yet.  (I'd like to know the date on which they broke it..)

This^ is my thought as well.  

I just re-watched Bortles in the preseason and it makes me lean even more to the side of just play the kid.  He's so much better, even in his first preseason game, at just about everything over Henne.
Quote:I was told this morning to expect him to be on the field running the offense from under center for the Steelers game. 

So we've now determined that 2 more weeks in practice will make him ready.  That would make a ton of sense! 
Quote:I was told this morning to expect him to be on the field running the offense from under center for the Steelers game. 

Ya You are probably right, but I just think a situation where they hold him back until London would be interesting.  I mean, interesting as in something that might cause Jacksonville to riot.  We'll see. That would really show where this team's head is at.

Quote:Ya You are probably right, but I just think a situation where they hold him back until London would be interesting.  I mean, interesting as in something that might cause Jacksonville to riot.  We'll see. That would really show where this team's head is at.

They want to introduce him as the starter at EverBank when it happens.  What I was told this morning is that the best opportunity to do so is the Steelers game so that he's got some time with the offense before they head to London.  Suffice to say it sounds like there is actually a plan in place to make the transition, and it's going to happen before the bye week, which is what many of us were expecting. 

If he's going to play well, this is the week against that Colt pass defense.  I won't hold my breath but I really hope we see good Henne this week.  

Quote:I don't think the calls for Bortles are premature at all.  Fans want to see a franchise QB out there.  It's been a long time since we've seen anything remotely looking like one.  In fact it's been 7 years.  It's like some Jag fan broke a mirror, and the luck isn't ready to run out just yet.  (I'd like to know the date on which they broke it..)
Demand from the fans isn't driving the transition. 
Quote:Demand from the fans isn't driving the transition. 

Did I say it was?
Quote:Demand from the fans isn't driving the transition. 

I think we can agree on that!  That being said, I think stubborness to adhere to the statements in the offseason is the only reason Bortles isn't in there.
Quote:I think we can agree on that!  That being said, I think stubborness to adhere to the statements in the offseason is the only reason Bortles isn't in there.
Right.  It's all about stubbornness and has nothing to do with facts.  That's what assures job security in the NFL. 
Quote:Did I say it was?
Didn't really say that you did.  I was simply pointing out that it isn't fan sentiment that is going to determine when Bortles starts. 

All of us expect better play from the QB position.  All of us recognize that Bortles is the more talented QB on the roster.  Still, as much as we want to see him take the field sooner, they have a plan and they're going to follow it.  When he takes the field is not set in stone and is extremely fluid.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5