Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles 2014 preseason is over. Your Grade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Let's get the Bad out of the way:

-His footwork, especially in the pocket needs work. At times he looks goofy throwing the ball. His arm strength compensated for some of his throwing motion. His footwork  will take the most time to master but he has made a ton of progress since college.

The Ugly:

-Even though he was credited with 0 int's, realistically he almost threw 4 in the preseason. He was caught by the defense a few times staring down routes.  He got lucky 4 times this postseason.  He has to learn to throw the ball away sometimes.

The Good:

+Fortunately the good outweighs everything. Bortles just has tremendous arm strength.  We have seen him time and time again make big throws with little effort.  Look at this throw against Atlanta for example.  The Ball is in the air for 50 yards and he does not even step into the throw

[Image: bortlesomg.0.gif]

+He also is a risk taker. (Favreish)  It's going to get him in trouble with turnovers but will also get him some huge plays. He threads the needs and isn't afraid to take a risk. 

+Bortles is athletic and can throw on the run.  He is not only strong enough to shrug off tacklers but quick enough to get to the outside and throw the ball accurately on the move.  You can't coach that.

+The Biggest positive is the vertical passing game.  It's fantastic to see a QB in the Jaguar uniform who slings the ball downfield. We have not had a vertical QB since Byron Leftwich.  I look forward to see many big plays when he takes over

Overall:  Solid A from me.  You really could not ask for him to do much more with the talent on the field.

He finished this preseason with: 64% completion percentage, 520 yards passing, 2 td's, 0 ints, Rating well above 100, and YPA over 10.  WOW!

I don't think I've ever seen a rookie light it up like that since I started following the NFL. Like it was too easy or something

A+
His preseason really couldn't have been any better
That ball he threw tonight came out of his hand like Aaron Rodgers passes down field look.

Serious velocity.
Quote:That ball he threw tonight came out of his hand like Aaron Rodgers passes down field look.

Serious velocity.

I remember reading his scouting report that at the combine he was throwing the football 55+ mph.
Quote:Let's get the Bad out of the way:

-His footwork, especially in the pocket needs work. At times he looks goofy throwing the ball. His arm strength compensated for some of his throwing motion. His footwork  will take the most time to master but he has made a ton of progress since college.

The Ugly:

-Even though he was credited with 0 int's, realistically he almost threw 4 in the preseason. He was caught by the defense a few times staring down routes.  He got lucky 4 times this postseason.  He has to learn to throw the ball away sometimes.

The Good:

+Fortunately the good outweighs everything. Bortles just has tremendous arm strength.  We have seen him time and time again make big throws with little effort.  Look at this throw against Atlanta for example.  The Ball is in the air for 50 yards and he does not even step into the throw

[Image: bortlesomg.0.gif]

+He also is a risk taker. (Favreish)  It's going to get him in trouble with turnovers but will also get him some huge plays. He threads the needs and isn't afraid to take a risk. 

+Bortles is athletic and can throw on the run.  He is not only strong enough to shrug off tacklers but quick enough to get to the outside and throw the ball accurately on the move.  You can't coach that.

+The Biggest positive is the vertical passing game.  It's fantastic to see a QB in the Jaguar uniform who slings the ball downfield. We have not had a vertical QB since Byron Leftwich.  I look forward to see many big plays when he takes over

Overall:  Solid A from me.  You really could not ask for him to do much more with the talent on the field.

He finished this preseason with: 64% completion percentage, 520 yards passing, 2 td's, 0 ints, Rating well above 100, and YPA over 10.  WOW!

I think you are overstating the negatives. 

I don't want the coaches messing with his game much. 

We finally have a gunslinger and you're preaching to do the ol' Mark Brunell and hit the gatorade cannister. 

QB throw interceptions. Manning threw a ton his rookie year. Let Blake throw 'em. Don't neuter the kid and make him into a game manager. Nurture the aggressiveness in his game. 

Oh, and "A". 

Quote:I think you are overstating the negatives.

I don't want the coaches messing with his game much.

We finally have a gunslinger and you're preaching to do the ol' Mark Brunell and hit the gatorade cannister.

QB throw interceptions. Manning threw a ton his rookie year. Let Blake throw 'em. Don't neuter the kid and make him into a game manager. Nurture the aggressiveness in his game.

Oh, and "A".

I actually agree with this, his footwork isn't flawless but doesn't seem to hurt his play besides a few slips. Why try to force him to do something that may make it not seem natural and make him uncomfortable? He's been very accurate this preseason, so if ain't broke don't fix it.
Quote:I actually agree with this, his footwork isn't flawless but doesn't seem to hurt his play besides a few slips. Why try to force him to do something that may make it not seem natural and make him uncomfortable? He's been very accurate this preseason, so if ain't broke don't fix it.

Yep. That last line. 
Shame Barden dropped that ball on the opening dribe , that was another great accurate throw with real confidence
Quote:Shame Barden dropped that ball on the opening dribe , that was another great accurate throw with real confidence

I liked that pass too. It was perfectly on target. Barden (who I had never heard of before that pass) was trying to be like Matt Jones.

I only watched one half of the entire preseason, so I can't grade any of the rookies. But I think after Blake Bortles fixes his footwork issues, we can start saying the word PLAYOFFS.
If he starts at some point this season, I hope he throws it all over the stinkin joint. I hope he even knocks the popcorn outa some kids hand in the endzone of everbank.

In all seriousness, I want bortles launching intermediate/long bombs all day with the occasional screen to reload the gun.

Quote:If he starts at some point this season, I hope he throws it all over the stinkin joint. I hope he even knocks the popcorn outa some kids hand in the endzone of everbank.

In all seriousness, I want Bortles launching intermediate/long bombs all day with the occasional screen to reload the gun.

I heard during the Falcons game Jedd Fisch will call lots of naked bootlegs this year.
Quote:I don't think I've ever seen a rookie light it up like that since I started following the NFL. Like it was too easy or something

A+

Mettenberger also has had a very good preseason as well, and doesn't seem to be getting the publicity. 
Quote:If he starts at some point this season, I hope he throws it all over the stinkin joint. I hope he even knocks the popcorn outa some kids hand in the endzone of everbank.

In all seriousness, I want bortles launching intermediate/long bombs all day with the occasional screen to reload the gun.

Yeah, what he should do is literally pass to all 9 sections of the field each game to continually keep the defense guessing, Its nice to have a QB that can actually target & complete passes to these 9 sections, too. 

No more 8-9 in the box. 

Quote:I heard during the Falcons game Jedd Fisch will call lots of naked bootlegs this year.

Naked bootlegs are fine as long as they are well...long?

And sign me up for that 9 section popcorn wrecker scheme. Ill buy popcorn all day if I get to see Bortles hit it like a sniper.
Yep, its apparent that he's a risk taker, always looking to make a play, and doesn't play scared, like Favre. He doesn't give a Favreck! So refreshing to finally see a Jag qb like that. The signs of an elite player is there
Bortles is amazing.The only thing limiting him would be the oline.Imagine what he'd do to every defense if he had time to throw.

The biggest thing for him to learn or get better at is identifying blitzes,cause teams would need to do that in order to slow the guy down.

Quote:I heard during the Falcons game Jedd Fisch will call lots of naked bootlegs this year.

Welcome to every preseason game this year.
Gotta be an A grade and the best rookie out there and that is saying something considering how well these rookie QBs have played.

I'd give him an A as well. I love his gunslinger mentality and am glad that we finally have a QB that'll strike fear in the hearts of the opposing defenses. It looks like us going up against a stacked box on every series is a thing of the past,..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5